• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Luxray's Lightning Lock (BKT-ULP)

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Pokemon: 23

4x Shinx ULP
4x Luxio ULP
3x Luxray ULP
2x Luxray BREAK
2x Shining Celebi SM Promo
3x Tapu Lele GX GRI
1x Oranguru SM Promo
2x Misdreavus CRI
2x Mismagius CRI

Trainers: 27
4x Max Potion
1x Brigette
2x Wally (to get a Luxray out T1)
4x Ultra Ball
4x Professor Sycamore
2x N
2x Cynthia
1x Float Stone
3x Choice Band
2x Volkner
2x Guzma
2x Field Blower

Energy: 8
5x Lightning
3x Psychic

Last edited:

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Nice list! What about Volkner from SM5? Searching for that [L] energy and an Item (like Max Potion) seems like a combo that can't be missed. My suggestions would be:

-1 Timer Ball (coin flip makes it unpredictable)
-1 Marshadow (bench space is to full at the moment)
-2 Zorua (not needed here)
-2 Zoroark GX (the ability isn't as valuable since it discards cards and the attack takes two [C] anyways)
-5 Darkness Energy (not needed here)
-2 Wally (cool idea, but you are more likely to use Brigette Turn 1 anyways)

+1 Oranguru (late game draw support)
+2 Volkner (great for searching for Energy and Max Potion or anything else)
+1 Brigette (in case you prized one)
+1 Super Rod (shuffles energy and Pokémon in)
+1 Rescue Stretcher (grabs a single Pokémon when needed)
+2 Field Blower (helps against Garbodor)
+1 Float Stone (increases consistency)
+1 Parallel City (best stadium to include at the moment)
+2 Lightning Energy (increases consistency)

Anyways, I hope this helps. Let me know what you think, thanks!

jessalakasam

Nice list! What about Volkner from SM5? Searching for that [L] energy and an Item (like Max Potion) seems like a combo that can't be missed. My suggestions would be:

-1 Timer Ball (coin flip makes it unpredictable)
-1 Marshadow (bench space is to full at the moment)
-2 Zorua (not needed here)
-2 Zoroark GX (the ability isn't as valuable since it discards cards and the attack takes two [C] anyways)
-5 Darkness Energy (not needed here)
-2 Wally (cool idea, but you are more likely to use Brigette Turn 1 anyways)

+1 Oranguru (late game draw support)
+2 Volkner (great for searching for Energy and Max Potion or anything else)
+1 Brigette (in case you prized one)
+1 Super Rod (shuffles energy and Pokémon in)
+1 Rescue Stretcher (grabs a single Pokémon when needed)
+2 Field Blower (helps against Garbodor)
+1 Float Stone (increases consistency)
+1 Parallel City (best stadium to include at the moment)
+2 Lightning Energy (increases consistency)

Anyways, I hope this helps. Let me know what you think, thanks!
I've never been a fan of 2 Brigette, you only need one and it's not super important, considering you can set up Luxio (and possibly Luxray) in one turn. I will add some of these though. Also, Float stone's not much of a help as Luxray has 0 retreat

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
I've never been a fan of 2 Brigette, you only need one and it's not super important, considering you can set up Luxio (and possibly Luxray) in one turn. I will add some of these though

Sure, one or two Brigette is just a matter of opinion. I prefer two, but whatever works for you. Good luck with Luxray Lock!

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
I've never been a fan of 2 Brigette, you only need one and it's not super important, considering you can set up Luxio (and possibly Luxray) in one turn. I will add some of these though. Also, Float stone's not much of a help as Luxray has 0 retreat
It is still really scary for your only Brigette to be prized though. Even I know this and I never use Brigette!

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
I just want to say this might have the same evolution problems as Greninja BREAK, but it could end up being an awesome deck

Dewgong

Aspiring Trainer
You should remove both wally, there is no point in a T1 Luxray, he cannot attack and you miss your chance to item lock. it would be a downgrade to the deck. If you are counting on Celebi that strategy is flawed by not using your supporter on brigette making it hard to regularly get one out.

jessalakasam

You should remove both wally, there is no point in a T1 Luxray, he cannot attack and you miss your chance to item lock. it would be a downgrade to the deck. If you are counting on Celebi that strategy is flawed by not using your supporter on brigette making it hard to regularly get one out.
We go second -_-. Also, Wally is largely for Buzzwole to negate his [base] damage T1.

Dewgong

Aspiring Trainer
obviously, as you cant attack if you go first. my point is by playing a wally your first turn, you reduce the ways to get other basics on your bench(Celebi) and make it so your less likely to be able to item lock anyone.

jessalakasam

obviously, as you cant attack if you go first. my point is by playing a wally your first turn, you reduce the ways to get other basics on your bench(Celebi) and make it so your less likely to be able to item lock anyone.
It really depends on the situation, which is why I run him, just incase I need him

jix99

Imagine if Pichu was in splatoon :D
Wheres your damage output comming from if it's like a toad deck it's going to need damage and besides salazzle I can't think of a reliable way but I am tired and maybe I just missed the point of the deck entirely. Also what's with the break? (P.S Why would you go second even if you can use Shinx's ability if you went first you give them 1 turn to set up with items and if you go second with Shinx's ability you give them a turn with items so no difference from earlier except you set up first and faster giving you the overall advantage, so kind of how worse Trevenant players would go second even though it's not the optimal play.)

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
I was convinced while making my list, that the set up (getting Luxio into play) is more important than getting Luxray out turn 1. and by that i dropped wally from my list. turn 1 Bridgette or Volkner (If Bridgette is prized) seems more important since you can get a better board set up. with Volkner, you can search for an ultra ball for Luxio or even a timer ball, for 2 Luxios if you feel lucky. if you have Luxio in hand but no Shinx, you can grab a Shinx with the ultra ball and play them both down straight away.

also just realised that this list has no recovery cards like rescue stretcher or super rod.
and it might of been an editing error, while making changes but not sure what the darkness energy is for. i can see you took out a zoroark gx so that's probably what the dark was originally for, but now its not in the deck it should be psychic for Mismagius to attack.

jessalakasam

I was convinced while making my list, that the set up (getting Luxio into play) is more important than getting Luxray out turn 1. and by that i dropped wally from my list. turn 1 Bridgette or Volkner (If Bridgette is prized) seems more important since you can get a better board set up. with Volkner, you can search for an ultra ball for Luxio or even a timer ball, for 2 Luxios if you feel lucky. if you have Luxio in hand but no Shinx, you can grab a Shinx with the ultra ball and play them both down straight away.

also just realised that this list has no recovery cards like rescue stretcher or super rod.
and it might of been an editing error, while making changes but not sure what the darkness energy is for. i can see you took out a zoroark gx so that's probably what the dark was originally for, but now its not in the deck it should be psychic for Mismagius to attack.
Wally greatly helps the Buzzwole matchup

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I don't see how you're closing out games with 8 energy cards and an attack that discards 3, and if you commit 4 energy to a Luxray BREAK and that gets KO'd, you lost half of your energy pool.

All of your attackers need 3+ energy to deal anything more than 30/60, and the Mismagius especially are super free KO targets so you're never using the 2nd attack.

You need to play something like Rayquaza from GRI to keep your energy cards alive, and I would also include DCE for said Rayquaza and for Luxray BREAK as well.

I would personally drop the Mismagius line altogether because you have two attackers that lock, so you can only have one or the other at any given time. Item lock is vastly superior to Mismagius' locking potential. Heck, the item lock of Luxio also covers Pokemon Tools that Misamigus locks, so comparatively you're only locking stadiums which currently no one plays enough of and special energy, and most decks don't play exclusively special energy, so you're essentially locking nothing half the time unless you know your opponent's hand. I would never prefer locking with Mismagius over Luxio, even against a Po Town deck. Most of the time a Po Town deck running 4 copies will have Po Town down before you even get Mismagius into play. It's just mathematically not in your favor.

-2 Mismagius
-2 Misdreavus
-1 Shining Celebi - You should only ever want this in play if you have a Luxray evolution line in play that's survived. That's not going to be always. I'm replacing this with a rescue stretcher since you absolutely need rescue stretcher in a BREAK deck. Plus, with tons of Garbodor variants running around and only 2 field blower, you can't guarantee to even have this up and running even when you want it. Volkner is not always going to be your best supporter for turn.
-1 Max Potion - Don't forget the mirror match. You've got 4 dead cards in the mirror. 3 is plenty. You might not always be discarding for 150 either - you are occasionally going to be going for BREAK's attack and keeping your energy. With 2 Volkners you should always have it when you want it.

+2 Rayquaza GRI - Mentioned above, you're not closing out games with only 8 energy cards and no recovery/acceleration. Your only other option, Raikou, has worse energy acceleration and has the same HP, so both have the same OHKO conditions to Buzzwole. Rather take the one that has better acceleration.
+3 DCE - Use these for Rayquaza to re-enable your Luxrays to attack. Also useful for BREAK's attack cost of 2L + 2C. Don't need 4 because this isn't something you need immediately.
+1 Rescue Stretcher - explained above
-3 Psychic/+3 Lightning - since we're killing Mismagius, drop the Psychic.

I'm fine with Wally as an option, but I'm not sure if more than 1 copy is needed. If the purpose is to get a Luxray on T1, this is something you're going to Lele for and never need ever again. 2 is fine for now since this deck still needs testing anyway.

jessalakasam

I don't see how you're closing out games with 8 energy cards and an attack that discards 3, and if you commit 4 energy to a Luxray BREAK and that gets KO'd, you lost half of your energy pool.

All of your attackers need 3+ energy to deal anything more than 30/60, and the Mismagius especially are super free KO targets so you're never using the 2nd attack.

You need to play something like Rayquaza from GRI to keep your energy cards alive, and I would also include DCE for said Rayquaza and for Luxray BREAK as well.

I would personally drop the Mismagius line altogether because you have two attackers that lock, so you can only have one or the other at any given time. Item lock is vastly superior to Mismagius' locking potential. Heck, the item lock of Luxio also covers Pokemon Tools that Misamigus locks, so comparatively you're only locking stadiums which currently no one plays enough of and special energy, and most decks don't play exclusively special energy, so you're essentially locking nothing half the time unless you know your opponent's hand. I would never prefer locking with Mismagius over Luxio, even against a Po Town deck. Most of the time a Po Town deck running 4 copies will have Po Town down before you even get Mismagius into play. It's just mathematically not in your favor.

-2 Mismagius
-2 Misdreavus
-1 Shining Celebi - You should only ever want this in play if you have a Luxray evolution line in play that's survived. That's not going to be always. I'm replacing this with a rescue stretcher since you absolutely need rescue stretcher in a BREAK deck. Plus, with tons of Garbodor variants running around and only 2 field blower, you can't guarantee to even have this up and running even when you want it. Volkner is not always going to be your best supporter for turn.
-1 Max Potion - Don't forget the mirror match. You've got 4 dead cards in the mirror. 3 is plenty. You might not always be discarding for 150 either - you are occasionally going to be going for BREAK's attack and keeping your energy. With 2 Volkners you should always have it when you want it.

+2 Rayquaza GRI - Mentioned above, you're not closing out games with only 8 energy cards and no recovery/acceleration. Your only other option, Raikou, has worse energy acceleration and has the same HP, so both have the same OHKO conditions to Buzzwole. Rather take the one that has better acceleration.
+3 DCE - Use these for Rayquaza to re-enable your Luxrays to attack. Also useful for BREAK's attack cost of 2L + 2C. Don't need 4 because this isn't something you need immediately.
+1 Rescue Stretcher - explained above
-3 Psychic/+3 Lightning - since we're killing Mismagius, drop the Psychic.

I'm fine with Wally as an option, but I'm not sure if more than 1 copy is needed. If the purpose is to get a Luxray on T1, this is something you're going to Lele for and never need ever again. 2 is fine for now since this deck still needs testing anyway.
my main attacker Luxray BREAK only requires one energy to lock, mismagius as well, so DCE and ray are useless. Also, Mismagius is there for Buzzwole

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
When you say 'one energy to lock', are you implying that you're going to be hitting people for 30 damage repeatedly in the late game? Because that isn't going to really win you games. This deck lacks a win condition, I just don't see how you win a game with this unless your gameplan is that your opponent will just jank out and not be able to attack you for 5+ turns while you slowly chip them down. Considering that people are running lower item counts and higher supporter counts than at any time since early BW era, item lock alone isn't creating game winning pressure.

Not even Toad in XY era could do it alone, it was always paired with bats, lasers, or included as an early game play in decks that ran DCE.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
When you say 'one energy to lock', are you implying that you're going to be hitting people for 30 damage repeatedly in the late game? Because that isn't going to really win you games. This deck lacks a win condition, I just don't see how you win a game with this unless your gameplan is that your opponent will just jank out and not be able to attack you for 5+ turns while you slowly chip them down. Considering that people are running lower item counts and higher supporter counts than at any time since early BW era, item lock alone isn't creating game winning pressure.

Not even Toad in XY era could do it alone, it was always paired with bats, lasers, or included as an early game play in decks that ran DCE.
That's what Luxray BREAK is for, and you got Shining Celebi for the Item Lock

jessalakasam

You could always use Mismagius’s second attack