Discussion Lost Zone Making A Comeback?

Bobohippo

Aspiring Trainer
I'm sure for all of us who remember the days of Lv X and Prime Pokemon cards you also remember the Lost Zone. For those of you who don't know, the Lost Zone is a realm outside of regular gameplay, on the opposite side of where a stadium card goes. In the Lost Zone a Pokemon, Energy, or Trainer Card is "off the playing table" so to speak but there have been cards that have been able to access this area of gameplay such as Gengar Prime or Mew Prime just to name two. To these Pokemon, the Lost Zone can be a huge boost in gameplay and brings strategy to a whole new level. Recently I have noticed on the Prism Star Cards, that the cards mention the Lost Zone and to place the Pokemon there when it gets KO'd. This had me wondering, "Is Pokemon bringing back this forgotten play area?" So do you think they should bring this gameplay area back? How would it effect the current game we know? I'd like to hear what people think about this and if the Ultra Prism Cards are foreshadowing something in the future.

No.

It's very clear they are using the Lost Zone as a way to balance powerful Prism cards (since anytime they get discarded for any reason, they got to the Lost Zone instead) since you can't use anything to try and recycle and reuse prism cards. If they were to create cards that interact with the Lost Zone it would defeat the purpose of it being a draw back on Prism cards and could get very broken very easily

Well @CrownAxe ,
I think Pokemon could use the lost zone as an avenue for other things other than just prism star cards. Maybe a card that does damage based on the amount of prism star cards in your opponent's Lost Zone or maybe a Pokemon that could use the attacks of Pokemon in the Lost Zone at a penalty (like being worth 2 prize cards). I think the prism star mechanic is a great way to reintroduce the lost zone, but I hope it isn't the only way the lost zone comes back.

We've had cards that benefit from the Lost Zone before. (Call of Legends Lucario, Mew Prime and the Lost World Stadium being the biggest examples.)

I don't think we'll get that kind of thing again personally. But I do expect more cards along the lines of Lysandre Prism Star that control the game by permanently eliminating cards and cards like Absol Prime that use the Lost Zone as a large cost for attacks, etc.

I'm trying to think of a way to explain this in a clear, concise manner. I will unpack this if I need to, but isn't the entire point of the Lost Zone to be the new discard pile because the original discard pile has too many effects that interact with it now? As such, I say leave it as a "cost" when it happens to your cards, and only make it a "benefit" when it happens to your opponent's cards... barring the introduction of cards you can run that punish yourself once they hit your own discard pile.*

*I know of no such cards in this game, and have only a vague recollection of such a thing in another game. I created a fake card here with an effect to use as an example.

Last edited:
With the Lugia GX Card that was revealed I think it is more plausible that the lost zone will come back into play. Personally I have been waiting for this since the HGSS days what do you think? Is the Pokemon Company giving us a sign that the lost zone is getting a reboot?

All the prism stars kind of make me want mew prime and gengar + lost world reprints.

Oh, I totally plan on building a stupid Unlimited Lost World FTK deck at some point, lol. The fact that's even possible kinda depresses me, though.

Lost world is way to overpowered with the lugia GX and lysandre prism. If you GX a stage 1 with a choice band and three energy it is a instant game win.

Lost world is way to overpowered with the lugia GX and lysandre prism. If you GX a stage 1 with a choice band and three energy it is a instant game win.
Maybe if you paired Lugia GX with a Magcargo GX deck or any other fire deck, then you could pull off that Lugia GX and Lysandre prism combo possibly. Lets say your playing against malamar for example and in the active is their Ultra Necrozma GX with 2 energy, you play Lysandre get 5 energy into the lost zone, then you GX attack and send 2 more energy and an Ultra Necrozma GX into the lost zone seems fair maybe.

Maybe if you paired Lugia GX with a Magcargo GX deck or any other fire deck, then you could pull off that Lugia GX and Lysandre prism combo possibly. Lets say your playing against malamar for example and in the active is their Ultra Necrozma GX with 2 energy, you play Lysandre get 5 energy into the lost zone, then you GX attack and send 2 more energy and an Ultra Necrozma GX into the lost zone seems fair maybe.

*Ahem*

Lost World
Trainer — Stadium

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.

Once during each player’s turn, if this player’s opponent has 6 or more Pokémon in the Lost Zone, the player may choose to win the game.​

Emphasis added.

Once during each player’s turn, if this player’s opponent has 6 or more Pokémon in the Lost Zone, the player may choose to win the game.
Even if they do reprint Lost World I feel like it wont be reprinted as is due to the nature of the card. I mean just look at lysandre and Lugia GX; get the 6 pokemon in the lost zone and just win like that? Either way I gotta give the prayers to ZoroEggs in expanded then.

While I am not sure if I want Lost World to return, I think its potency is being exaggerated:

Even if they do reprint Lost World I feel like it wont be reprinted as is due to the nature of the card. I mean just look at lysandre and Lugia GX; get the 6 pokemon in the lost zone and just win like that? Either way I gotta give the prayers to ZoroEggs in expanded then.

Lysandre [Prism Star] is requires your opponent has Pokémon in the discard pile for you to remove them from play, and only removes one per [R] Pokémon you have in play.

Lugia-GX has to use its GX-attack, a once-per-game attack that costs three Energy and - from the translations I've scene - only works on your opponent's Active.

Put it all together and this is not a reliable First Turn Win. Actually, as you can't attack T1, you don't even need to factor in Lugia-GX. Without using your Supporter for the turn - you need it for Lysandre [Prism Star] - you have to fill your field with [R] Type Pokémon and force your opponent to discard at least six Pokémon, and you need to get this hypothetical Lost World reprint from your deck to your hand and then play it as your Stadium for the turn. So no using Shaymin-EX (ROS) to help draw, or Tapu Lele-GX to search out Lysandre [Prism Star]. I'm not sure if it is even possible to force your opponent to discard six cards (let alone six Pokémon) on the first turn of the game.

So what about when Lugia-GX can attack? On its own, you'd have to hit something like a Luxray BREAK with an Electrode (EVO) attached to it via Electrode's Ability and a Klefki (STS) attached as a Tool to meet the requirements of Lost Zone. That's six Pokémon at once; you can play around with it a little, like having a Stage 1 with four Electrode (EVO) attached, but you get the idea. Most of the time, you'll need another method of sending Pokémon to the Lost Zone or some "help" from an opponent e.g. your opponent using a card that sends his or her own Pokémon to the Lost Zone.

I could see a Lost Zone deck built around Lugia-GX and [R] Types emerging, but the time and effort it will require to earn the win is merely a "fast" deck, not a broken one. It should take two or three of your own turns before you're setup to use both tricks available. If they did re-release Lost Zone and the original would somehow be too powerful... make it Lost Zone [Prism Star]. ;)

Lost Zone is official all! I'm so excited to see the lost zone being re introduced with the new unknown cards and the different attacks and trainer cards too. So what do people think I personally want to make a fun deck revolving around this. So lets here your thoughts and if you view this don't be afraid to reply, every idea will spark a discussion or lead us on to new topics. Enjoy and Play On!

Crossposting someone else's comment on another thread as it seems quite relevant here.

I dislike Lost March, but not because of how it might work now. Instead, it is because it can lock specific cards from existing, just because they could make the strategy broken.

The move reminds me of the Greedy Dice: That card discouraged the game creators from making other cards that could control what cards get prized. Which is sad, as cards like that could help reduce the amount of luck needed to win games.

Lost March adds a nasty lock to how the game designers can make future cards can interact with the lost zone. If they make it too easy for a player to send Pokemon to the lost zone, we could have a broken strategy on our hands, and remove the point to having the lost zone: A place where cards are nearly voided from the game entirely, and can't easily be recycled back in play, like the discard pile.

Why have an attack that abuses this mechanic so much, other than to limit future lost zone cards from checking strategies that frequently recycle the discard? And shouldn't a player pay a greater penalty to send a card to the lost zone instead of the discard, if Lost March had never existed? I would think that without this attack, the Lost Mixer would draw 2 cards instead of 1, as the penalty of removing 2 cards from play is pretty unforgiving!

That's my issue with the move: It twists up a neat mechanic into being either broken or meaningless in future metagames.

Lost March specifically excludes Prism Star cards because it would quickly become a better Night March if you could just Ultra Ball and discard two filler (or even TecH) Prism Star Pokémon. However, as @Lanstar points out, this means all future cards with "Remove from play" effects will have to be preemptively nerfed. Which doesn't sound too bad until you rememebr that, apart from effects like Lost March, sending something to the Lost Zone is supposed to be worse than it going to the discard pile.

Back