Art Gallery Light's Designs - Cards, Drawings, and Fakemon

professorlight

Ice Queen
RE: Light's design studio

POKEMON SOLSTICE and POKEMON EQUINOX

The world is changing.

Changing more than usual, of course.

Nature is going haywire; plains are getting flooded, forests grow in the deserts, frozen wastelands develop next to cities, entire fields blooming at once, only to wither away days later.

I decided to take my work from the gen 7 thread and give it its rightful place, where I could add things on my own without any limitations. However, I decided to keep some things decided together by the gen 7 team, since they were very interesting ideas, and I don't think they would want to develop them anyway.

These pokemon were designed for a region focusing on seasons (well, most of them). The game would see the trainer travelling to different parts of the region in different seasons, in a more open world and with a better developed and written main story.

The main change in overworld mechanics would be the seasons themselves, returning from BW; the seasons will change randomly as part of the plot before the endgame and getting the legendary pokemon. Post-game, they can be controlled with said pokemon.

Summer
-Aesthetic changes in overworld
-25% chance of sunlight outdoors each day
-the shores recede and open the way to new areas
-mountains and deserts attract exclusive fire type pokemon (Events and swarms)

Winter
-25% chance of hail outdoors each day
-snow piles up and new areas are opened and closed
-patches of snow with exclusive ice type pokemon appear (Events and swarms)

Autumn
-25% chance of rain outdoors each day
-exclusive water and ground type pokemon can be now found in marshes and seas (Events and swarms)
-flying types appear in trees (Events and swarms)

Spring
-25% chance of sunlight outdoors each day
-25% chance of rain outdoors each day
-patches of grass with exclusive pokemon appear (grass types, baby pokemon),etc (Events and swarms)
-bug types appear in trees (Events and swarms)

Some beaches, for example, would dry in strong summer, and several fossil pokemon would be available for capture, in addition to getting the game's fossils, the Crest Fossil and the Plate Fossil.

At the moment, it's not my intention to plot the region itself, or expand the pokemon count to cover more than a (hopefully) XY sized generation, and maybe some megas for these pokemon, but you never know.
I'm also open to collaborations and ideas, so if you want to do something, PM me; if it's interesting, I'll probably say yes.

Pokedex
Names in grey are only missing the designs or illustrations, but fully designed.

Record keeping
New moves
New abilities

Click to go to the full page

Credits
The region, the time travel idea and the process behind many of the pokemon can be seen here.

As for the particulars:
-Sciuridriel's stats were made by turtwig and scorched feathers
-Sciuiridriel's tail and dress were suggested by keeper of night
-The nocturm line was made in close collaboration with akwila; he did the stats and movesets.
-Nocturm's name was an idea of chocolate death.
-Stellight's concept was by akwila.
-The spubble line was also made with akwila; again, stats and movesets are his's.
-The abilities aqualung, nocturnal, refract and nightfall were also made in collaboration with akwila.
-The scales on lovenere's tail were a suggestion of king xerneas and keeper of night.
-Some pokedex entries were corrected according to eagle4's suggestions.

Any others I've forgotten, please let me know.

And the first line:

Squixie, Elvossom, Sciuridriel and Mega Sciuridriel

pub

The grass starter, a grass/fairy mix of squirrels and elves; despite being literally the first seriously designed pokemon I ever did, they're some of my best work, if I do say so myself.

Even if their... unfortunate, typing means that they get supremely disadvantaged in my trio's rock-paper-scissors

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen

Nocturm, Chrysalux, Lunight and Stellight

pub

These lovelies were a joint project with akwila; he wanted an LCD-winged moth, and I wanted a luna moth, so we combined the two as opposites on a single line, and worked off the insects' relationship to light.

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen

Spubble and Silvellive

pub

Another joint design with akwila, it's funny how much I hate spiders, but I think I like these two as much as I like ariados, which is a lot. And they keep the highly requested bug/water typing that people say surskit squanders.

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen

Lophostun and Dilophrust

pub

These two were... troublesome, to say the least; you wouldn't know it looking at them, but dilophosaurii weren't very remarkable dinosaurs, all things considered. It took a long time to find a concept I could use for them.

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen

Orphlet and Shadowl

pub

Yes, I know, I know... Batman and the Shadow, how original.

These two are more of a joke pokemon, a challenge to myself, but considering that the end result ended up being a fairly unique badass owl-fighter pokemon, and insanely powerful to boot, I don't think they're so shabby, questionable inspiration as they might have (garbodor is a poisonous, twisted version of Totoro, so why can't I have an owl version of the Dark knight?).

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen

Flufflurr and Frozeen

pub

The inspiration for these might be either immediately obvious, or completely hidden; both options are perfectly fine by me. But if you can't figure it out, just... let it go.

Anyway, inspiration aside, I wanted was to make a fragile ice-type pokemon that showcases the beauty of snow and ice, instead of the usual, brutish and large ice pokemon we're used to. I think I didn't do bad at all, if I do say so myself; they're my very favourites from all the pokemon I've done so far.

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen

Charmell, Scallove, Lovenere and Mega Lovenere

pub

I wanted so badly a mermaid pokemon, and when the fairy type was announced I was positive we would get one, but, XY came, and there weren't any mermaids in sight.

After designing these darlings, I hope that GF never releases a mermaid pokemon, for it would only disappoint me.*
I love these so much; they must have taken the most research of all my pokemon; all the referents and details are so intertwined and spread over the entire line that I think that they're the pokemon I designed that come closest to be like an actual, official pokemon.

*I stand corrected. But I still love Lovenere; I wish I could use her with Primarina.

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen

Velish

pub

Sailfish are very interesting, and I felt that they would have a good synergy with water/steel typing; being blindingly fast and hard-hitting just came naturally after that.

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen
RE: Light's Design Studio

Finnana, Lindwavern, Jormunweitr and Mega Jormunweitr

pub

The water starter, or as I know them, "sciuridriel's bane"; I thought of them while looking for a theme for the starters, as they have been having lately, and decided to follow norse myths; with elves, a good candidate for the water type was the world-serpent jormungandr, even if the obvious resulting typing was terrible news for the squixie line.

It might also have helped that at that time I was playing a Mafia game where Jormungandr fled a cloud of drugged-out, exploding squirrels with tiny machetes by snowboarding down a mountainside.

Last edited:

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

I like this line! Although, I must admit, I get a chuckle whenever I look Jormunwaveitr's front fins. Design-wise, I understand and appreciate why they're there, but I guess they look too much like little hands instead of fins.

Also, I'm not sure how much you're planning on limiting yourself to Gen VI-imposed limitations, but the maximum character name is now 12 -- Jormunwaveitr has 13.

professorlight

Ice Queen

Thanks for letting me know, back to Jormunweitr then, it was a last minute change.

Now that I look at them in the erect picture, they do look like hands a little, don't they? maybe them being to the front has somehting to do with that. Like a mouse or something.

I'll revise it later. Finnana's purple is too strong and has too much blue as well.

Done!

professorlight

Ice Queen

Tempony, Dimare, Twilfaxi and Mega Twilfaxi

pub

And the last part of the starter trio, the fire horses. Following the norse myth angle, I was between fenris the wolf and the night-day horses hrimfaxi and skimfaxi for the fire starter; I didn't like fenris because it was too much like jormungandr, and I like ponies, and I especially liked the day/night angle they brought to the table, so after a lot of doubting, of making sure they were not the same as ponyta and rapidash, and some extra research on if they weren't the inspiration for the day/night princesses in MLP (they weren't, as far as I know), I set out to design them.

And I'll be honest, if I had known that I would have ended with a fabulous shiny karate horse with Iron man repulsors that evolves into a fabulous Iron-man-alicorn, I wouldn't have wasted so much time in research.

In the end, I rather like the starter trio; The beautiful (sciuridriel), the tough (jormunweitr) and the cool (twilfaxi), which is a nice balance for variety, and they start with three simple animals, the squirrel, the iguana and the pony (and no, ponyta is a regular horse and pachirisu is a disgrace).

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen

Solaseed and Solarray

pub

After doing the first fossil pair, I decided that both fossil lines would be counterparts with the concept of mixing ultra-modern technology with dinosaurs; and that while the lophostun line would use that prehistoric-modern technology for destructive purposes, the solaseed line would use it for peaceful purposes, so I went with efficient solar panels as a counterpart to dilophrust's railgun. And of course, when we bring non-destructive, solar power and dinosaurs together, there is one that immediately stands out.

Last edited:

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
RE: Light's Design Studio - NOW IMPROVED

You had me with just the text and concept about the world and game.
My favourites so far are the Spubble, Shadowl and Lovenere lines. Spubble because it's a nice concept, Shadowl because it's more than time to have a dark Owl and Lovenere because a mermaid Pokémon is also due and beautiful.

Just to let you know, in your first post and in the separate one, the Fire starter's line link to the Water starter's!

professorlight

Ice Queen
RE: Light's Design Studio - NOW IMPROVED

I'm glad you like them.

And I improved the entries now; no need to use external links. They might take a moment to load, though.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
RE: Light's Design Studio - Fossils

Tempony's line - yeah, it had to be MLP related! -_- I should've guessed by your profile picture.
That said, it's a nice concept and better than Ponyta & Rapidash! It's nice having a Fire-starter that walks on four legs. :)

professorlight

Ice Queen

It actually wasn't MLP related at all. Deciding the starters's theme and discovering skinfaxi and hrimfaxi was the important part; ponyta, rapidash and the entirety of MLP only made things more difficult, really.
I even tried to see if lauren faust had been inspired by the norse horses for celestia and luna (if she had, I wouldn't have done then), and I couldn't find anything.

Not to mention that my style is very much alike FIM, so perhaps they would look less similar if another artist were to draw them.

professorlight

Ice Queen

Mega Meloetta

pub
I think what I like the most about this one is the whole sixties vibe it has; the high blonde hairdo, the gloves, the skirt, the colorful beads... absolutely smashing.

Last edited: