Discussion Latias EX good?

vyolet127

Aspiring Trainer
so in my expanded deck, I'm consider throwing in one of my favorite Pokémon: Latias!! KB the form of Latias EX. The card has an immunity to all Pokémon with abilities, and I'm thinking that this card soars. So many decks revolve around abilities; Zoroark comes to mind, Lycanroc sees a lot of play, Marshadow boxes, etc...

The deck runs 3 basic energy and 4 DCE: currently all three basic energy are rock, though I never ever actually use Lycanroc to fight. (Except this one time where they were using Lucario EX and it'd have been autoloss if I used zoroarks)

My thought is I could change two of my fight energy to one fire and one psychic, and add Latias, and therefore have that option to use Latias EX.
Alternatively, I could add her, and no energy, just as a wall. I'm not sure; what are your guys' thoughts?

Latias is a card with potential, especially in an ability dominant meta. Some old decks during the black and white era would use Sigilyph and Latias EX to stall out an opponent, though it never was the most successful strategy out there.

However, because of Hex Maniac and VS seeker, I would advise against it. Due to Hex, it becomes a potential sitting duck that gives up 2 prizes at any time.

If you are thinking of running it in a deck, the first thing you should consider is: What purpose does it serve in this deck? If you are running a disruption deck similar to the "Wishiwashi-GX" or "Wailord-EX" stall decks, it would certainly be a viable option, albeit a bit risky...

If it's just a backup attacker, there might be a few more worthwhile attackers out there. Its energy cost will be difficult to fulfill with 2 different types of energy if you don't run Double Dragon Energy, and shoving that into a deck for just this purpose isn't worthwhile.

Latias is a card with potential, especially in an ability dominant meta. Some old decks during the black and white era would use Sigilyph and Latias EX to stall out an opponent, though it never was the most successful strategy out there.

However, because of Hex Maniac and VS seeker, I would advise against it. Due to Hex, it becomes a potential sitting duck that gives up 2 prizes at any time.

If you are thinking of running it in a deck, the first thing you should consider is: What purpose does it serve in this deck? If you are running a disruption deck similar to the "Wishiwashi-GX" or "Wailord-EX" stall decks, it would certainly be a viable option, albeit a bit risky...

If it's just a backup attacker, there might be a few more worthwhile attackers out there. Its energy cost will be difficult to fulfill with 2 different types of energy if you don't run Double Dragon Energy, and shoving that into a deck for just this purpose isn't worthwhile.

I guess I'd mostly be throwing her in to hopefully stall. I haven't seen hex maniac as often as it used to be around. But I mean, it would force an opponent to dig for one, and they may not be able to get one out on time.

It's mostly there as an option to stall; because of the consistency of mallow Zoroark, the energy would be managable... But I mean, I guess I'm mostly trying to put things I really like Into this deck.
Same reason I run a full art Mars: it looks amazing.

It's always funny to throw out a Latias against a trev player and watch their face drain. most run zero counters to it

I don't understand how that card is that much of a bugger...?
A card that can turn 1 ruin any chance of set up and used to be a top contender b4 it got a good counter in the form of zoroark which even then is a 50/50 matchup no I can't imagine why it's so annoying.
Trev xy and it's break form was once the scourge of expanded now its spot has been taken by wailord but trev is still and annoying deck to play against.

I play Latias-Ex in my deck and it is a very good counter as mentioned to Trevenant decks due to the fact that most Trevenant decks only run attackers with abilities (Trevenant, Necrozma, Tapu Lele) and no Hex Maniac. Putting Latias-Ex up against those deck will result in them being unable to attack and thus deck out. Some Trevenant decks will run Silent Lab or Espeon-Ex and those will be able to counter Latias-Ex.

If you want to run Latias-Ex against other decks it will probably not work out as well. Those other decks usually run Hex Maniac. Sometimes you can encounter a metal running Solgaleo-Gx and/or Metagross-Gx with Bronzong that might be caught by the stall but that's not as often.

Latias-Ex also comes useful in order to deal with pokémon's like Xurkitree-Gx, Hoopa SM, Baby Ninetales, Jolteon-Ex, Glaceon-Ex or Aegislash-Ex.

Most meta decks usually run Hex Maniac so you won't be able to rely on Latias-Ex against decks like Zoroark-Gx/Lycanroc-Gx even if it seems like it could be a good idea. At best it will buy you a couple turns.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Latias-EX PLF 85
* 1 Comfey GRI 93
* 1 Buzzwole-GX CIN 104
* 1 Machamp-EX AOR 90
* 1 Regirock PR-XY XY49
* 1 Sudowoodo GRI 66
* 1 Entei-GX SLG 10
* 1 Pheromosa-GX UPR 140
* 1 Jolteon-EX GEN 28
* 1 Magearna-EX STS 110
* 1 Mewtwo-GX SLG 39
* 1 Shining Mew SLG 40
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Unown AOR 30
* 1 Glaceon-EX FCO 20

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Mallow GRI 127
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 1 Scramble Switch PLS 129
* 1 N FCO 105
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Korrina FFI 95
* 1 Colress PLS 135
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 3 Ninja Boy STS 103
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 3 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 1 Field Blower GRI 163
* 1 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Sky Field ROS 89
* 2 Pokémon Communication BLW 99
* 1 Wide Lens ROS 95

##Energy - 10

* 2 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 4 Prism Energy NXD 93
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Trev from xy has an ability that if it’s in the active, your opponent can’t play items and the break has an attack that does 30 to all of you opponents pokemon, as AuraJackle just said, it’s cancer as in if you look up the definition of cancer, a picture of Trev break will be right there.

So, latias ex could be good as a 1 of against ability heavy decks for stall.

Back