• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format "Kickass-Bulu" - Post Rotation VikaBulu Deck

jo94

Gen 3 lover
Another day, another deck. This one is the deck that I've tested the most lately, thus I'm pretty sure about its functioning and its consistency. I'm pretty confident it will be one of the biggest after rotation hits. Take a look and let me know.

Pokemon (13)
3 Tapu Bulu GX (BUS)
3 Grubbin (SM)
3 Vikavolt (SM)
1 Zeraora GX (THS)
Zeraora-GX – Lightning – HP190
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Electric Zone
Each of your Pokemon that has any [L] Energy attached to it has no Retreat Cost.

[L][L][C] Plasma Fists: 160 damage. This Pokemon can’t attack during your next turn.

[L] Full Voltage GX: Attach 5 basic Energy cards from your discard pile to your Pokemon in any way you like. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When 1 of your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 2
2 Oranguru (SM)
1 Tapu Lele (GUR)

Trainer Cards (34)
3 Guzma
4 Cynthia
4 Sightseer
Sightseer – Trainer
Supporter

Draw cards from your deck until you have 5 cards in your hand. Before drawing, you may discard any number of cards from your hand.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
1 Lillie
1 Volkner
3 Choice Band
4 Rare Candy
3 Minor Ball
4 Ultra Ball
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Energy Recicler
3 Eather Paradise Conservation Area

Energy Cards (13)
8 Grass Energy
5 Lightning Energy

Deck Strategy

3 Tapu Bulu GX
It is your main attacker, you relay mostly on nature's judgement to OHKO basics and stage 1s (180 or 210 with CB, discarding all energy). The gx attack allows you to ohko somthing like a Tapu Lele or a Dawn Wings Necrozma GX (with CB) while healing all the damage on bulu.

3-0-3 Vikavolt line
It is the engine of the deck. It allows you to attach consistently 2 energies to Tapu Bulu each turn, so that you can spam nature's judgement. The chhoice of 3 grubbin and no charjabug is due to the fact that usually you'll need just one Vikavolt on the bench (rarely 2) to make your strategy work.

1 Zeraora GX
It is the perfect tech for the deck. Great synergy with the overall strategy, it helps substituting float stones, has a strong attack (even if it does not hit anythig relevant for weakness) and the GX attack recover the energy discarded through nature's judgement, attacching them directly to the field.

2 oranguru
Draw engine. I Play 2 just to make sure it isn't in the prizes.

1 Tapu Lele GX
Anyboby would say i'm totally crazy playing just one, but believe me, I tested a lot this deck and it works smoothly in this way. You don't play Bridgette/Fan Club, thus you don't need turn one lele (maybe for lillie or Volkner for candies)

3 Guzma
self explainatory

4 Cynthia
sel explainatory

4 Sightseer
replaces sycamore

1 Lillie
for turn one, maybe i'll remove it for another lightning energy

1 Volkner
replace Skyla

3 Minor Ball
replace Bridgette

2 Energy recycler
necessary to keep the energies flow

3 Eather Paradise Conservation Area
Makes both Tapu Bulu and Zeraora bulkier, that sometimes prevents ohko

Timer ball has been a popular choice to help replace heavy ball. I too have been experiencing with one Lele to see if it can be consistent enough. I think 4 Ultra, 2 Nest and 2 Timer balls is probably the way to go. Baby Bulu might also be good that is TBD.

I agree with Christopher - as bad as it is, Timer Ball is the only replacement for Heavy Ball in this deck. I'd probably go -1 Nest Ball,-1 Candy and +2 Timer Ball.
I'd also max out Choice Band, just because it is crucial for this deck. It's probably get rid of the Field Blower for the 4th CB, as there will be no more Garbotoxin and 1 FB doesn't matter that much.
Baby Bulu is indeed something to consider. Either that or baby Pheromosa, but Bulu is probably better. I'd also swap the 2nd Oranguru for another Lele.

OP probably meant 'Nest Ball' when they typed 'Minor Ball'.

Yep, sorry guys, sometimes I forgot that I must use english names instead of italian ones, it was supposed to be nest ball.

Very cool, was actually looking into building a post-rotation VikaBulu deck and this helps a lot.

Do we have any real idea of when the Zeraora or Sightseer will hit US shores? Will that be the November set, or possibly even the February 2019 one?

In the meantime, what would you sub in for the Zeraora if trying to build this deck up between rotation and the subsequent sets? Baby Bulu? Baby or GX Koko? Thanks.

Zeraora is there more for the ability and the gx than the regular attack, so there's not a real substitute

Makes sense.

If running this deck before that card is released though, what would be a good substitute? Or would you even need another card in that slot? Just go down to 12 pokemon?

Or tapu koko for the gx, even if i've found bulu's gx pretty useful several times

I may look at that one.

I'm probably going to keep running my Garchomp/Lucario deck until rotation, so thinking about after September, but if we don't get Zeraora until potentially February, what could fill the void in the meantime. Thanks.

In this case just tech something that could be useful, such as a psychic attacker or a free retreater maybe

the new zebstrika could also be amazing instead of oranguru. I haven't played vikabulu, I'm not sure how many of its cards it needs to keep at hand.

Zebstrika is not a great solution due to the fact that with vikabulu you may want to keep in hand cards, such as candies and vikavolt

I think that Xurkitree GX is a good tech in this deck. Post rotation, I see a huge bump in Zoroark variants, and Xurkitree really helps in that matchup. Maybe cut an ultra ball for it?? Also, only one Volkner? I think you should be playing at least 2 or 3 of him.

If you win the coinflip and go first, won't "Steven's Decision" be a good T1 play in this deck once rotation hits and "N" is gone? Pulling a rare candy, Vikavolt, and one other card to start T2 to suppliment a Bulu and Grubbin on the board from T1 seems like an auto setup.

Seems like that would be worth a Lele > Wonder Tag (Steven's Decision) to start the game. I may try including just 1-2 of those

No?

Back