XY Kalos Dex (complete)

RE: The Regional Pokedex: Pokémon from previous generations in Kalos

Well safe to assume you can add the new ones.

Guess what.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/19/4744438/pokemon-x-and-y-switches-up-the-classic-story-formula-to-focus-on

Yeah, so no wonder so many pseudos are appearing in trailers etc.

So if the number hits 750, that might mean the Kalos-dex is 250+250+250...oh my god.
xD

Mitja said:
Guess what.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/19/4744438/pokemon-x-and-y-switches-up-the-classic-story-formula-to-focus-on

Yeah, so no wonder so many pseudos are appearing in trailers etc.

So if the number hits 750, that might mean the Kalos-dex is 250+250+250...oh my god.
xD

I read it as well. However, I don't think (perhaps, I don't want to think) they meant all Pokémon are catchable during the normal gameplay. I can imagine all of them eventually becoming available through swarms, and things like hidden grottos, but to think that all of them are actually out on the field is ridiculous, even for GameFreak standards. Not only would the huge amount of old Pokémon mask the newer ones, it would be a complete mess. I think they meant that all of them are in the game (as in, they exist in the game's code), but most of them would only be available through trading with older games, and perhaps future generation VI games. However, since that is nothing new, I don't know why they would mention that.

I just don't think that ~750 Pokémon in one game is realistically achievable.

You know, there have been multiple hints that Kalos is shaped "mysteriously" like a star. A star has 5 points. How many regions do we know of besides Kalos? Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova makes 5. 5 points. 5 regions. Maybe Kalos is like a convergence of all the other regions, and that is why there sill be so many old pokemon in the region.
...probably a crackpot hypothesis, but still.

That's a nice theorie, but 4 out of 5 other regions are in Japan. If they were spread around Kalos that would make more sense to me. Although the region's location might differ in place from the locations the regions are based on.

Drohn said:
That's a nice theorie, but 4 out of 5 other regions are in Japan. If they were spread around Kalos that would make more sense to me. Although the region's location might differ in place from the locations the regions are based on.

Not neccesarily. Just because the regions are based on Japanese landmasses does not mean they are actually arranged like that in the Pokemon world. As we saw from Episode 1 of the BW anime series, Unova (based on Manhattan) is part of a landmass that looks nothing like North America.

Tatertot said:
Drohn said:

Not neccesarily. Just because the regions are based on Japanese landmasses does not mean they are actually arranged like that in the Pokemon world. As we saw from Episode 1 of the BW anime series, Unova (based on Manhattan) is part of a landmass that looks nothing like North America.

I agree with that. I meant the same when I said:
Although the region's location might differ in place from the locations the regions are based on.

Oh, it was hard to tell what you were saying with your first sentence, haha

Pokequaza said:
I read it as well. However, I don't think (perhaps, I don't want to think) they meant all Pokémon are catchable during the normal gameplay. I can imagine all of them eventually becoming available through swarms, and things like hidden grottos, but to think that all of them are actually out on the field is ridiculous, even for GameFreak standards. Not only would the huge amount of old Pokémon mask the newer ones, it would be a complete mess. I think they meant that all of them are in the game (as in, they exist in the game's code), but most of them would only be available through trading with older games, and perhaps future generation VI games. However, since that is nothing new, I don't know why they would mention that.

I just don't think that ~750 Pokémon in one game is realistically achievable.

This. I think "all 700something Pokemon will be catchable in XY" is a misinterpretation, because that would be completely unfeasible. Anyone ever play BBVW where they had all 649 Pokemon available in Unova and routes were so crammed with Pokemon that nearly everything had a 5% or 10% encounter rate? Yeah, I don't think Game Freak is stupid enough to do that.

I personally think they have meant that all Pokemon have models in the game. Like for example FireRed will never have Gen 5 sprites to name an example but X and Y can portray any Pokemon thus far. How many of the old gen Pokemon will be available in the wild? Who knows, maybe a lot, but probably not all. You'd need to trade from older gens and use the Pokemon Bank to get ALL of them, but surely they won't be all around in the wild.

Baktwerel said:
I personally think they have meant that all Pokemon have models in the game. Like for example FireRed will never have Gen 5 sprites to name an example but X and Y can portray any Pokemon thus far.

This is expected anyway. What sense would it make for older Pokemon to look as flat as they did in 5th gen?

We can add Caterpie to the list if you trust this source. (I trust it)

But it’s not all new. Older fans of the series will really relish that sentimental moment when you first encounter a wiggly Caterpie in the long grass, only paces away from your new home in Vaniville town, or face plenty of other Generation I and II Pokémon in battle before even reaching Santalune City and Viola, the photography-obsessive first Gym leader.

Fee said:
We can add Caterpie to the list if you trust this source. (I trust it)

But it’s not all new. Older fans of the series will really relish that sentimental moment when you first encounter a wiggly Caterpie in the long grass, only paces away from your new home in Vaniville town, or face plenty of other Generation I and II Pokémon in battle before even reaching Santalune City and Viola, the photography-obsessive first Gym leader.

So Viola is going to have butterfree without a doubt. One more down on my checklist of hopes for X/Y.

The Shalour GL looks like Froslass.

Well Sinnoh reused Wurmple for its role. Makes sense Kalos would take Caterpie instead 8D

When I heard the Kalos Pokedex was split into three parts, it gave me hope that we'd be seeing a whole lot of new pokemon. I'll be disappointed if it turns out this is only the case because it is crammed with old pokemon. While I wouldn't mind running into a Pikachu now and again, I don't want a low New:Old ratio.

nightkeeper said:
When I heard the Kalos Pokedex was split into three parts, it gave me hope that we'd be seeing a whole lot of new pokemon. I'll be disappointed if it turns out this is only the case because it is crammed with old pokemon. While I wouldn't mind running into a Pikachu now and again, I don't want a low New:Old ratio.

Chances are it's going to happen regardless since the first few areas have only Kanto and Kalos Pokemon apparently.

Mitja said:
Well Sinnoh reused Wurmple for its role. Makes sense Kalos would take Caterpie instead 8D

So if Caterpie is in, is it safe to assume Weedle is too? They're counterparts, so I don't think they'd leave the other one out.

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:

So if Caterpie is in, is it safe to assume Weedle is too? They're counterparts, so I don't think they'd leave the other one out.

Caterpie in X, Weedle in Y.
Problem solved.

98Greener said:
Bolt the Cat said:

Caterpie in X, Weedle in Y.
Problem solved.

More likely they are in both since they are always together anyways unless you count yellow.

Back