Just watched the entire Scrubs series on NetFlix, am I the only one that liked se. 9?

Minty88

Aspiring Trainer
I know the show was supposed to end after season 8, but they made season 9.

Was it so badly received that it was cancelled? Am I the only one that liked the Med students and new location? ... the absence of JD's whining?

Guts

CyberPhunk
Scrubs is an amazing show, but season 9 was just too far from the norm for me. It's because of JD's whining that I liked the show, aha. The show doesn't get the popularity that it really deserved after it got really good, but I'm still content in watching re-runs. If they ever continued the show with the old cast (or something along those lines), then I'd probably pull a fanboy squee.

Minty88

Aspiring Trainer
Once JD got married, his character basically lost all its conflict, the show couldn't be about him anymore... Of course, that is an argument for never making a 9th season. I still liked it alot though.

Chaos Ripper

Obsessed w/ TES-Oblivion, Lamb of God, and GH-WOR
I never knew they had a season 9 of that show. I could understand why the season didn't kick-off. J.D. was the show, with Turk, Elliot, Carla, and everyone else providing a baseline for the show. They change everybody, they change the show.

On a side note, you should see how much my uncle similarly look A LOT like Zach Braff.

Captain Oats

I'm worse than you at TCG.
Scrubs season 9 was originally going to be a spinoff called Scrubs Med School (hence the changed intro title and mostly new cast), but it did extremely poorly in the ratings which is why it was canceled so abruptly. There was no closure to the ending, they never got all the characters off the ground yet, no following was formed, etc, it couldn't stand on its own as a show, it HAD to be deeply tied back into Scrubs as season 9 rather than its own thing. People couldn't disconnect it from Scrubs, so they just said it was a horrible season instead. Also, the ending to season 8 of Scrubs was obviously intended to be the series finale.

With that being said, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Scrubs, but I do enjoy it as a spinoff, which is what it is. The cast was too pretty for me, everyone was a spunky, young, hot doctor, it just didn't feel real like the original cast did. They had such good chemistry and genuine compassion for each other which is why most people are attracted to it. The humor of the show wouldn't be funny if the characters didn't feel real. The new JD (the girl) was just too whiny. With JD, even when he would whine or complain, it was about something you could relate to, and he even realized he was whining from time to time. With her, it was too nasally or depressing, and she had no idea. The location wasn't even that good either compared to the original. That old hospital was just gold. This med school was just some generic classrooms and dorm rooms with a few modern patient rooms that were too white, too clean and too shiny to feel natural.

And when JD got married that didn't kill his character. It brought closure to that one aspect of JD's life: his love life. Him and Elliot were great to watch together, even from season 1. You always rooted for them even when you didn't want to. Their life as a married couple could have been so entertaining, but it wasn't given the shot. They are both great actors and both of their characters are great to watch, together or apart. JD still could whine about things if he wanted to, and he still does, but it's just overshadowed by the new protagonist.

All in all, the show was good, but Scrubs was better. They didn't separate themselves enough from the original so it flopped.

/edit: can you tell I freaking love Scrubs?