News Japan's SM6b, 'Champion Road'!

YOOOOO IS THAT 2004 BLAZIKEN!?!? THIS SET IS HYPE!!

I mean, I don't think it's honestly that good. The ability and damage spread are nice but WHO CARES IT'S THE BEST BLAZIKEN THAT EVER EXISTED! This set's already better than XY Evolutions.

Silly question why 70% of fire pokemon had an attack based on discard energy? Its look like an kind of archetype thing, did any other type has an archetype kind of moves?

Sure.

Water types tend to have additional damage per Water energy attached.
Psychic types tend more for damage based on Energy attached to the target of the attack.
(Psychic types based on ghost Pokémon will favour placing damage counters over dealing direct damage.)
Fighting types, I think, are most generous with damage output, but tend to have recoil/etc.
Electric and Grass types tend to have lower damage output, with status to make up the difference. (Jumpluff is a really extreme example – it's uncommon for an S2 to have single-Energy cost attacks, but some Jumpluff prints have had *multiple* attacks w/ single Energy costs.

Man, I gotta say. The Pokémon TCG never really had a good reason for power creep.

I used to do a lot of fakes in the EX/Gen III era, and there was something of a formula to a Pokémon's HP, attack costs, etc. where you could easily pick out where a fake would fit into a metagame, would define the metagame, or else was so broken as to be completely unbelievable, and it'd fit a general formula along these lines;

Pokemon HP:
- 40-50 for a basic that evolved; usually 60-80 for a basic that didn't evolve
- 60-80 for a stage 1; 80-100 for a stage 1 that didn't evolve
- 80-120 for a stage 2. 120 HP used to be a hard cap.
- EX status, across the board, tended to add an extra 40-60 HP. (This was the only way to exceed the 120 HP hard cap; Stage 2 EXs would shatter that barrier.)

Pokemon damage output:
- Where energy cost is explicitly defined - 20 damage
- Where energy cost is not explicitly defined (i.e. colourless attack cost) - 10 damage
- so, e.g. [R][C] = 30 damage. but usually status would deduct -10 points, and things like flip status would usually actually be on par. [C][C][C] might be a Double Lariat attack, so 40 flip for +0-40, but given its base damage is 40, you're looking at a range of 40-80. that's only +20 above the base of 60; you'd actually be able to look at an attack like that and actually determine it's poor return, w/ 40+20=60, but unreliable. (More realistically, an attack like Double Lariat tended to be on final evolution stages, with a slight bias of extra damage, to compensate for it being an evolved Pokémon)

Weakness was always x2
Resistance was always -30
Retreat was very much "Pokédex-based", if you like. The general rule was that higher HP = greater retreat, but there were more exceptions to the rule than not.

I think by the DP-era, you had some violations to this philosophy (Lv. Xes didn't seem to stick to any rules, imo), but I think by BW, the power-creep was full on, and there really hasn't been any looking back.

I just think, as a collector, it really sucks to see this power creep manifest so blatantly and so ridiculously – I've had a lot of time to get used to the idea that 120 HP was no longer the limit, and then watch the damage output formulas change, but it's so weird that we're now at a point where this Blaziken card exceeds the HP rule I'm used to, exceeds the damage output I'm used to, and isn't even broken.

Most of the cards I have 'agree' with the Base–early DP formulas; collecting XY Evolutions felt weird, but those cards were so engrained that I could swallow it. EX R&S is the set I came closest to finishing (only missing about ~10 holos, and ~2 EX to finish the set) and it was my first set w/ Kouki Saitou art, so I can't tell you how much of an impression this Blaziken card had on me

but I literally wouldn't want this card. Putting it into my binder of cards would be so frustrating. I could explain HP, damage, etc. of the rest of the binder, why they're all more or less consistent, etc.... but this has gotten silly. IDK. I just see the damage output on that Fire Stream attack and think it's ridiculous.. but it's not even that good, relative to the current meta.

(For people with no idea what I'm on about. It 'should' have 120 HP, Flame Stream should deal out 70 *at absolute most*, and 10 per bench would be adequate 'incentive' to play a Stage 2 in the meta, vs. a non-evolving basic. The 2 retreat isn't unheard of, and does actually match the original print. In that case, I would've rounded down to 110 HP instead of 120, the original print was actually just 100. It also went for a 'low' damage output of 50 – could be compensatory for a 'broken' Poke-Power, but I don't really recall the cards ever doing that sort of punitive compensation.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss Power Keepers

BlazikenEXPowerKeepers5.jpg

This is turning out to be an ultimate tribute set for gen 3. Boxes ordered thanks very much.

Looking forward to this more than forbidden light now lol

There are/will be some decks that take advantage of the discarding effect, so that makes it better than Hau. Still a very underwhelming card, though. Still hoping that they print a "draw 4" supporter some time.

I honestly would find it hilarious if a reprint set of Phantom Forces came out in 10 years' time...
...LTC reprint...

Ok card, could be paired with something that uses DCE. I don't see it being becoming too influental as far as the meta is concerned though. Probably no one does.

Still waiting for that Banette ex reprint reveal...I'm curious if the update they'll be giving its ability (if at all) and damage cap will make it somewhat playable despite being weak to Zoroark.

This card can be described with 2 words: Underwhelming and Disappointing.

The Ability is not bad, like, at all. It is the best feature of the card.

But the rest of the card is just... Ugh. Yes, some may say we are salty because it's not a GX, but I was expecting a Feraligatr GX in this set and when I didn't got it, I was fine with that.
But anyways... The attack is just underwhelming and the cost is too high for what it does. It has a Retreat Cost of 2 (Do I have to say more?) AND Even if the Ability is good... It's a Stage 2... And that's already kind of a bumer. Sure, Feraligatr and Garchomp are Stage 2 Pokémon, but they at least have good attacks.

I rest my case.

i am really hoping for a reprint of that Blastoise that allows you to attach water energy from your hand as many times as you like

104-blastoise-ex.jpg

If any, this would be the Blastoise you would be referring to. A cornerstone of the powerful BLS deck. Personally I don't think this will be reprinted. But spiritual incarnation will be made. Heck they already have with deluge Blastoise.

.....I'm just the comment passing by only wanting to say that its nice that 2nd Gen has in between not been left behind out of the nostalgia reprint craze. It was delightful to see this art pop up on here.

If the art really is so called different outside of being zoomed in, could had someone had the decency to make us aware by showing us the comparison?

Kind of a shame. Eelektrik for Fire could be fun, but this is a "Stage 1" Ability on a Stage 2 Pokémon. Really goes to show how far the goalposts for viable Stage 2 Abilities have moved since EX Ruby and Sapphire.

Then again, it would help a ton if Blaziken had a good attack to use Firestarter with. A Stage 2 with an Ability pretty much has to be self-sufficient rather than relegated to a support role, because it just takes up too much space for the latter. The only two exceptions that come to mind are Gallade, which evolves from the same 'mon that Gardevoir does and can be Maxie'd into play in Expanded, and Magnezone (with Dual Brains), which I've seen get some traction in Expanded recently because double-Supporters is ridiculously powerful with all the disruptive crap out there.

another card to remind us how bad powercreep set in around the DP era in particular. BW just moved it off the charts and GX cards had to take it to the next level to compete with EX. Between this and gatr this card is another evolutions, printing formerly good cards without buffing them enough to actually be playable outside of the kitchen table, a set for nostalgic collectors more than players.

Shame its not a gx. Good ability, but being on a stage 2 means it likely wont see any play
An ability on a stage 2? Well, here's a list of the ability Stage 2s that saw and seeing play.
Crobat
Gardevoir GX
Vikavolt
Metagross GX
Solgaleo GX
Greninja BREAK
Metagross (UPR)
Saying a stage 2 pokemon with an ability will likely not see play is a little contradictory in my opinion.

Back