News Japan's SM4+ Set: 'GX Battle Boost!'

ShinyZard

Aspiring Trainer
Alright! A metal type that isn't weak against fire, but I don't think its attacks are that great in that the energy cost is too much. Too little damage output for that much energy. As far as its GX attack goes, I think its effect is the least competitive of all the UB. Good damage output, but its effect is meh.

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
Ultra beast = prize card manipulation still. And have been very cool including this one. Like that it has 200 hp, attack cost a little high but it is a metal type.

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
This would be very valuable in a ‘Ninja Box’ rogue archetype that already plays Rainbow and DCE, just for Rocket Fall bear in mind. The rest of the card appears to be pretty much garbage.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I don't really care that the card isnt the best, that artwork is real eye candy.

Coolpilot

Bisharps don't know 'bout my Togekiss
Advanced Member
Ah, Celesteela is very nice for Metal decks. Rocket Fall can actually do pretty decent damage considering most of the top played attackers actually have 2, or even 3+ retreat cost (and only requires a metal & DCE, which is also easy to fill with Metagross in Standard or Bronzong in Expanded), and the Lightning weakness makes it a great tech vs Fire (ie, Volcanion) decks, who also have a lot of heavy retreaters. While the other two attacks do require 4 energy, if you get Celesteela powered up right away & it survives the first hit back with it's bulky 200 HP, you just need to slap one more energy one to use them (and the GX attack revealing you Prizes before you take them is sneakily useful!). Also beings some much needed power & bulk to retreat cost decks, too!

All in all, a really cool tech for Metal, and a great attacker for RC decks.

skawt

boop
Mount Lanakila w/ A. Dugs could be nice! BUTT will do nothing vs. Free Retreaters. #Meh
I've tried Alolan Dugtrio in so many ways. He just ain't happening, even with that fabulous hair.

This card's neat. I guess the high costs are to counter balance the high HP for a basic Pokémon.

Neurowolf

Biology extraordinaire!
Pros:
  • High HP basic
  • First attack will OHKO Garbodor
  • Able to OHKO most mons with a CB + it's GX
  • Killing with GX attack essentially lets you pick your prizes
  • Steel typing is strong VS Gardevoir
  • Unlike most steel types, does not have a weakness to Fire

Cons:
  • High Energy Costs
  • Underwhelming Second Attack
  • High Retreat Cost
Due to these cons, it will be outpaced rather easily and have many lackluster match-ups.​

Do we have a deck that can utilize it's strengths?
... I'm hopeful.
If this somehow gets teched with Solgaleo, Ultra Road can really help out that retreat cost.

Yog

Rogue
This seems highly under-rated in the comments so far. This is an excellent multi-functional card, which looks to be the key to make metal decks relevant again (Metagross barely counts outside pctgO). I love it. Decent to great in Standard. In Expanded with the metal support there, it could be massive.

People wrote off Salazzle too. Not every card has to be the centrepiece of a deck archetype. Mixed weakness decks ftw.

SuperHoopa

Aspiring Trainer
Why does it always say "...the [c] energy in the retreat cost..." for the attack effects? No Pokemon has ever had anything besides Colorless Energy in their retreat cost, so why bother? Unless they plan on changing it after 20 years, why don't they just have the retreat cost as a number instead?

Sethy79

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not super excited about the ultra beasts. The electric type looks interesting, but overall they seem kind of meh.

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
People are forgetting that it takes 3 energy just for the first attack, and 4 energies for a subpar second and gx attack. Anyone carrying even some energy denial cards can easily cripple Celesteela, and make a extremely expensive paperweight. I would prefer xurxitree over this.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Could be pretty cool in expanded...
Using Exeggcute as discard fodder for searches, and then setting up your board with a zero energy attack; quite efficient!~

TotoBoss

Kappa
This is actually pretty darn good, it can deal a lot of damage cheap, it's basically frogadier's attack but free and you're completely set up after instead of having to rely on 2 more evolution stages. and 80x can get massive very quickly. use it with fliptini, maybe venusaur, and this thing can hit for a ton. Definitely a fun looking deck

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
This is actually pretty darn good, it can deal a lot of damage cheap, it's basically frogadier's attack but free and you're completely set up after instead of having to rely on 2 more evolution stages. and 80x can get massive very quickly. use it with fliptini, maybe venusaur, and this thing can hit for a ton. Definitely a fun looking deck

One thing to note: This card is not an EX/GX, and can utilize counter energy~

TotoBoss

Kappa
One thing to note: This card is not an EX/GX, and can utilize counter energy~

that too which also can be super nice. 1 thing tho, it doesn't work exactly like frogadier so sorry, but still, you can brigette turn 1. and then have 2/3 exeggcute on theb ench and then mass evolve them, it's definitely not a bad first attack