News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Max elixir, Dugtrio, Team Aqua Base ... This card is WORSE than Garb. There will be a ton of these decks at worlds.

Sparkeagle

Aspiring Trainer
goshdangit, it's Toxapex GX all over again! I like this card except it's too expensive. Probably will see no play, but I might be wrong...

EDIT: I forgot Metagross GX was a thing. Whoops. But it would be a bit clunky if you had Metagross in your deck. Thank the lord Wobbuffett is a stage 1.
Wobbuffet is basic since Wynaut is a baby Pokémon

Draskk

Blast From The Past
What has this Wobbuffet been eating, iron?!?! Why is it so hard to make it attack??! Anyways, with Aqua Base and Alolan Dugtrio it would be doing 500 damage to Garbodor because of Weakness. Charging it up could possibly be accounted for by Rayquaza from Guardians, and maybe Energy could be kept on the board with Wish Baton, but I don't think this will see any play outside of some fun rogue decks.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Dusknoir looks interesting. The ability auto-fuels Mind Jack and with Choice Band he would be able to ohko stage 1 Pokémon GX. we will have to see whether there will be some support to enable us to stream him.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Too bad we're losing field :(

We need some rulings here:
1. Do they get to use the ability (i.e. Setup, Wonder Tag, Scoundrel ring)
2. Are they damaged by TMSB

Epist

Captain Clamps
Advanced Member
:D VERY interesting ability. Combine it with sky field and the potential for a powerful attack is pretty high, as long as you can keep pulling basic pokemon (big if). But even if you don't, seeing your opponents hand is a huge advantage! Also could be used as a M Ray counter.

Glad to see a potentially playable Dusknoir line!

JPallyn

Aspiring Trainer
If it were just 2p energies, it would of been fun in expanded with A Dugtrio TA Muk and TA Secret base you'd be hitting 150 on the lightest Pokemon and 350 on the heavies

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Man, cards like these give me all sorts of bad deck ideas...!~

Let's go in order of clunkiness, shall we~

So, the two most obvious are:
Espeon-GX
DivideGX with Dusknoir's ability will allow you to snowball fairly well.
Fairly linear, but solid strategy.

Drampa-GX
Dusclops fuels the Beserk attack, and Drampa is a good "body" to have out while you evolve.
The damage from Dusknoir's ability will help you OHKO most things with boosted Beserk~

Less viable options:
M Alakazam-EX
The damage from Dusknoir's ability will allow you to snowball well.
There's no mixing of energy types, and both will benefit from devoting your deck to evolution.
Alakazam is not that great of a body, but Duskull and Dusclops aren't terrible cards.

Zoroark BREAK
While Zoroark's Mind Jack is a little be weaker, it's a lot easier to set up.
Also, with the BREAK's attack, you're not solely reliant on their bench to do damage.
Zoroark BREAK is a lot stronger than he previously was, due to the strength of GX pokemon's attacks.
For example: Zoroark BREAK can OHKO Tapu BuluGX with Judgement, by discarding one dark energy.
Zoroark BREAK can also use a Choice Band, and rely on Altar of Moone to reduce it's retreat; instead of Float Stone.
This allows him +30 damage, yet he's not effected by Choice Band himself~

Even less viable options:
Honchkrow (Guardians Rising)
While the synergy is definitely there, I feel like it's too reliant on Dusknoir's ability.
You'd have to run Buddy-Buddy rescue in this, for sure.

Rotom (Fates Collide)
Plasmagic is a really fun attack combined with Dusclops'...
That's pretty much it.

-------

These are all just off the top of my head, obviously, so I'm sure I've missed some obvious combinations~
Would like to see what you guys think!

I excluded a few things like:
Tauros as a body with Dusclops attack.
NinetalesGX sniping the bench (could kill things like Rowlet, and get easy prizes).
There's also Necrozma's GX attack, after you drop some mons on the board with Dusknoir's ability... but... that's also really clunky, and relies on them playing a GX deck.
...and Garbodor, cause Garbodor.

I feel like one of the pros of this card, is... it's not an evolution ability, so we can search it with things like Wally, and still use it consistently~

But the glaring con here, is:
Your opponent can just play all their basics if they see you running this card.
With Hoopa and Shaymin rotating, there's not many basics your opponent would want to keep in hand.
Also, Quad decks have no issue with this... at all.

TL;DR
It's a cool card, with decent potential.
Interested to see what deck runs it, if at all~

Knite

Aspiring Trainer

I would say no. Take Tapu Lele GX's Wonder Tag for example:

"When you play this Pokemon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may search your deck for a Supporter card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck."

Given that the player whose card is being placed on the bench isn't doing it themselves and that it isn't their turn, I would say the answer to your question is clearly no.

For reference:
Shaymin EX: "When you play this Pokemon from your hand onto your Bench, you may draw cards until you have 6 cards in your hand."

Hoopa EX: "When you play this Pokemon from your hand onto your Bench, you may search your deck for up to 3 Pokemon EX (except for Hoopa EX), reveal them, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward."

As for TMSB, I'm honestly not sure. The wording of the card states:

"Whenever any player plays a Basic Pokemon from his or her hand to his or her Bench (excluding Pokemon with Team Magma in their names), put 2 damage counters on that Pokemon."

The question I would ask is whether there is a distinction between "putting" a Pokémon on the bench and "playing" one to the bench, since 'Dark Circle' appears to do the former while TMSB says "plays."

One thing that does lead me toward saying no is that the TMSB wording seems to imply that the person "playing" the card also has to be the owner of the card, which again calls into question "put" vs "play".

"Whenever any player plays a Basic Pokemon from his or her hand to his or her Bench..."

Last edited:

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Dusknoir's cards are always interesting. If this combos with Base, it will actually be pretty crazy. You could use Buddy Buddy Rescue and then Dusknoir's Ability to instantly get +30 damage. I can very easily see this being supported by Espeon-GX as well in the early game. My only problem with this card is that it's a Stage 2 that requires 2 attachments to attack. Weakness to Dark and not Psychic is definitely a good thing as The World's Most Violent Trash Bag would have a field day with it otherwise. A full bench hits the 180 mark, plus it's own ability putting damage counters helps it out. The Ability+Choice Band+Full Bench=240 damage. If it combos with Base (I assume it does as Captivating Poke Puff does) then thats 260, which OHKOs anything (except Solgaleo. Cruddy resistance.) Definitely will be a cool card to try out when it's released, even though base rotates, 240 is still a truckload of damage.

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
Glad to see a playable Dusknoir back in the game. Hoped for Sinister Hand, but this new ability is very interesting, to say the least.

The attack isn't bad in the least, 1 Psychic and a Double Colorless Energy means you still can power it up with 2 attachments, his ability has great synergy with the attack as well. Rayquaza GRI helps with acceleration and recovery, while the first attack on the Duskull is nice.

Being Psychic type but not Psychic weak is strong atm, and Dark decks have shown poorly as of late. Given that Stage 2 decks like Metagross GX and Vikavolt have secured recent top cuts, it wouldn't be at all surprising to see a deck using Dusknoir cutting as well.

Blake337

Aspiring Trainer
Too bad we're losing field :(

You don't need a ruling. The abilities clearly say "when you put this Pokémon on your bench during your turn".
On the other hand, TMSB doesn't say when you have to play the Pokémon, so it does apply the damage (so it would be 50 damage). This functions exactly like Captivating Poké-Puff so it's not something new.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
A really nice card, it got some tech/abuse potential when combined with the right “sniper“. ;)
You can take out early basics which are sitting in their hand after a N or something similar.
Prevents gigant plants plans.
Stage 2 is a bit clunky, but we'll see.

Kontoleon

Aspiring Trainer
The attack is just from opponent control. I mean is looks like Fight Alone. The ability is cool but Stage 2? ok is just near similar to captivating poke puff, but from one pokemon every turn...
i don't thing so... The stage 1 pokemon is fine (at least have 90 HP), so is playable with pokeball,
If this card is stage 1 Maybe is fine to try.

Wolfgirl90

Professor Luna
Unless something changed when it comes to Japanese cards, the phrase "benched Pokemon" (or "benchi Pokemon") doesn't appear in Dusknoir's attack. It simply states "Add 30 more damage for each of your opponent's Pokemon". It doesn't state that those Pokemon have to be on the bench. I think the Defending Pokemon is counted too.

Edit: I eventually got a clear look at the card. I was wrong. I got my translation from a Japanese video revealing the cards and while the Dusknoir *card* says benched, the slide in the video does not. Even the announcer in the video leaves out the "benched" qualifier. :p

Last edited:

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
Hm, I wonder if GUR Machoke would immediately stop this Ability once the Basic Pokemon hits the Bench...

Unless something changed when it comes to Japanese cards, the phrase "benched Pokemon" (or "benchi Pokemon") doesn't appear in Dusknoir's attack. It simply states "Add 30 more damage for each of your opponent's Pokemon". It doesn't state that those Pokemon have to be on the bench. I think the Defending Pokemon is counted too.
It does say 「ベンチポケモン」 in its attack.

Last edited by a moderator: