News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

I like your optimism towards the new Ho-Oh~
I was thinking about trying it out in Volcanion, but it seems like a "win-more" card.

The reason I say this, is because:
Volcanion already doesn't have trouble OHKOing.
130 + Choice Band + Steam-Up = 190

Which, as you stated, will kill most basics.

What's important to think about, is what it means for Ho-Ohs attack to cost 1 more energy.
This is an additional attachment or energy to accelerate.
That's one turn behind, and/or one less steam-up.

With that one energy, you could swing for 220, instead of 190... which... I think kills anything that's relevant in the meta, except Lapras + FFB, but that's just one additional steam up on a card that's already kind of slow setting up.
Especially since Decidueye and Solgaleo are already weak to fire.

and there's almost no situation in which I would want to use Ho-Oh's GX attack over Turtonator's.
Especially since:
1. Pokemon Stretcher is a thing.
2. Oricorio does the same thing, but it's from the deck, isn't limited to EXs and GXs, and doesn't use your once per game GX attack.​

There's already a lot of cards competing to get into the Volcanion deck (ex. Starmie), and I just don't see this card offering enough to warrant a spot.

I agree with your assessment mostly, I just think the extra 50 damage is worth the energy attachment.

Back story: I play Volcanion. I sometimes have problems late game if I have had a couple Volcanion's Prized/KOed and/or I can't find Choice Band, Energy, Energy Retrievals, etc. I started playing 2 Turtonator GX partly because of the GX move, but partly because I need one less Steam Up/Choice Band to hit the same number as Volcanion.

When I look at Ho-Oh, I see a sustainable Turtonator GX that costs one extra energy, hits for 20 more damage, and isn't revenge KOed by Volcanion, Lapras, or Ninetails.

Is Ho-oh worth a spot in Volcanion? Maybe, but I'll probably only play 1.

Also, I like Ho-oh, so I'm a little biased. ;)

Why oh why can't Ho-oh ever get attacks witout rediculous energy costs? I hope we get some good stage 2 fire type GXs so I can actually play the thing.
*Cough*Charizard-GX(maybe) *Cough*
Yeah but then you can't use those GX attacks since you're burning it to get those mons into play. I don't mind that though. I just wonder how they plan on balancing fire types because of that GX move?
I didnt actually think about that, I guess we just have to hope that Charizard-GX has a good ability or two rather low cost moves ya know. I also think they might be making a Chandelure-GX in this next set. Since its ghost fire, which is literally a buring shadow. Theyre giving every type some sort of support in these past two sets, this might just be their way of giving fire a boost. I mean they gave water aqua patch. So they might be planning something really crazy for fire types. Assumption or not, ive been right a lot in the past, but ive been wrong a lot as well. All we can do it wait for a leak.

I didnt actually think about that, I guess we just have to hope that Charizard-GX has a good ability or two rather low cost moves ya know. I also think they might be making a Chandelure-GX in this next set. Since its ghost fire, which is literally a buring shadow. Theyre giving every type some sort of support in these past two sets, this might just be their way of giving fire a boost. I mean they gave water aqua patch. So they might be planning something really crazy for fire types. Assumption or not, ive been right a lot in the past, but ive been wrong a lot as well. All we can do it wait for a leak.
ME WANT CHANDELURE-GX!!!

All I want is colorless support. I just hope that the fire attacks aren't super dumb in power level to compensate for that. I like not having to deal with nuke level base attacks.

R.I.P. Green Snek (M Ray), we will forever remember you for your service in this game, but now, Edgelord (Necrozma) GX instantly counters you :(.

I feel Ho-Oh-GX could have been good with Volcanion if Turtonator-GX didn't exist. Ho-Oh may still see play in the future as a setup support card.

The only way I see Necrozma GX working is with Metagross GX, unless we get some new Psychic Energy acceleration. Sure, it can wall Mega Ray, Drampa, and Tauros, but Mega Ray plays Hex, and Drampa and Tauros are usually partners for other types.

You can use the togekiss line from roaring skies with the ancient trait to accelarate the energys on necrozma

Finally Planeta gets to illustrate some cards. SM1 and SM2 have been all 5ban Graphics, I think.
Actually Solgaleo GX and Lunala GX from SM1, Tapu Bulu GX and Darkrai GX were all illustrated by PLANETA, but I agree with you, it's nice to see some variation in the artstyles :)

Ummm rayquaza decks often run high amounts of hex maniacs necrozma will matter very little to a good ray deck. Ho-oh is really cool though even with its generic can't attack next turn move it's gx attack is good particularly in expanded for getting powerful stage 1 and 2 fire types gx's out. However I wish it wasn't limited to ex's and gx's

Only hits ex's and gx's and there's only one ex that has less than 100 hp
Does choice band only effect the active or does it increase damage on the bench as well? If it adds damage to the bench, Shaymin, Mew, Jirachi, Hawlucha, and probably a few more would be dead, which can rack up prizes quickly

I think Ho-oh GX is pretty underrated. It's not like we don't have any decent Fire acceleration. (Baby Volc, Max Elixir, Turtonator GX)

180 is an OHKO on most basics. Add a Choice Band or a Steam Up and we OHKO most Stage 1s. Add both or 2 Steam Ups, and we OHKO almost everything.

Alternatively, we can give Ho-oh a FFB, boosting it's HP to 230, and swinging for 190 (OHKO on all basics except Wishiwashi GX and Wailord EX in expanded). One Steam up gets us 220, 2 gets us 250, the current HP cap.

Heck, in between Phoenix Burns, we can soften up problem Pokes with Sacred Fire.

The GX attack is highly dependent on whether or not we get a good Charizard GX (or another fire type GX in the future), though, Volcanion EX probably wouldn't mind the free search.

Finally, weakness to Lightning makes Ho-oh a good tech in Volcanion just to counter Water Box, Ninetails, and other Volc decks.

The only way I see Necrozma GX working is with Metagross GX, unless we get some new Psychic Energy acceleration. Sure, it can wall Mega Ray, Drampa, and Tauros, but Mega Ray plays Hex, and Drampa and Tauros are usually partners for other types.
Everybody seems to be forgetting Parallel city, too, if you get paralleled and have to discard Valcanions, you can bump the stadium and get them right back

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else think we might get Alolan Marowak Gx in this set as well? I mean it is a ghost fire type or a "burning shadow" of sorts...

My Evaluations and Possibly Geodudes!
  • Dark-type Alolan Grimer - 3 Geodudes just for the Division Free atk. We are hoping for an Alolan Muk which is better than the Alchemy one.
  • Ho-oh GX - 3-4 Geodudes. Because: 1.) Attacks are too expensive 2.) Attacks are bit underpowered for the meta. 3.) Even though the GX attack is good for Mr. Incineroar, the AC is way too expensive. If it is a 1 energy attack, this will be cool.
  • Necrozma GX - Beside of causing him headaches in the Video Game, this card blocks M-Rayquaza, Tauros, Shaymin, Lugia, period! The attack is good, but unlike Genesect it is discard ALL not discard as many Energy for more dmg. . The GX attack is way too good, but don't forget, some non-GX atkrs are all around the area, this will be the disadvantage like Mr. Trashalance. A good Ninja Boy tech for Flying Flip Koko. So it is 3-4 Geodudes.

Back