News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

Xeynid

Aspiring Trainer
Super Boost Energy might just the thing that brings heavy cost attackers back. Hell yes.

It really won't.

It only works on stage 2's. You need to have 3 stage 2's out at once. You can only use Super Boost Energy once.

For a stage 2 to be good, it can't really have a heavy attack cost without some kind of acceleration because you already have to invest two more cards into getting the stage 2 into play than a basic pokemon has to invest, so investing even more energy sucks.

Getting 3 stage 2's out at once generally doesn't happen unless you're late in the game, which is harder to get to if none of your individual stage 2's can actually attack because they have high attack costs.

Then there's the issue of what the hell you're going to do after your opponent deals with your one stage 2 mon with boost energy on it. Yeah, you could take like 4-5 prizes by trying to sweep their board, but what are the rest of your attackers going to do?

If your deck relies on super boost, you're probably going to lose after you use it. If your deck can win after you use it, you probably don't need it.

The "4 energy" thing is a really small upside to what is basically "No drawback rainbow energy for stage 2 mons"

SoulDevourerDZ

Aspiring Trainer
That giratina art is one of the best pack arts in awhile in my opinion
I can't agree with you more. The art would be amazing on a F'ING Giratina GX, if we had one! But nooooo, PTCG decided on a medicore one per game prism Giratina. I hope they bring a GX out that's gonna be playable.

Registeel379

Aspiring Trainer
I like the new products, and think the ETB's look very cool, but I'm not a massive fan of the set logo.
@Peppercloud I agree with your point about Enhanced Hammer, and all Pokemon which discard energy can easily discard the Super Boost and send it to the Lost Zone - which sucks :(

I now realise DM Necrozma isn't nearly as bad as I first thought. Partnered up with the Magnezone from Ultra Prism and Mt. Corenet, you can hit 220 every turn! (DW is rubbish tho)

Wow, Pokemon hate Gardevoir GX...

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
I like the new products, and think the ETB's look very cool, but I'm not a massive fan of the set logo.
@Peppercloud I agree with your point about Enhanced Hammer, and all Pokemon which discard energy can easily discard the Super Boost and send it to the Lost Zone - which sucks :(

I now realise DM Necrozma isn't nearly as bad as I first thought. Partnered up with the Magnezone from Ultra Prism and Mt. Corenet, you can hit 220 every turn! (DW is rubbish tho)

Wow, Pokemon hate Gardevoir GX...
DW isn’t horrible, its got rush in, which means it will see some play, just not as much as DM

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
That giratina art is one of the best pack arts in awhile in my opinion
Ah man you beat me to it! That art is amazing.

Gotta be honest I don't love the look of Prism Stars. They look too much like cards from a different game, though I can't put my finger on what the game is.
Though I guess I thought the same thing when I first saw GX's.

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
Ugh. Another giant set. Ultra Pro needs to add a couple pages for their set binders. lol For SUM-BUS, I've had to put the reverse holos behind their respective holos to make space for all the holos in the set, plus the PR promos...

Sheimeix

Aspiring Trainer
Really digging the ETB stuff. The dice look great, and the sleeves aren't half bad either. I also *really* like that the box itself is black with blue/yellow accents. As I see more cards in Eng pop up, I get more excited for the set!