News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

The thing about the Lucario/Garchomp is that though it definitely wont be a theme deck in stores due to that damage output, it will be a "Champion of Sinnoh" theme that people will build themselves.

The thing about the Lucario/Garchomp is that though it definitely wont be a theme deck in stores due to that damage output, it will be a "Champion of Sinnoh" theme that people will build themselves.
No, you see, what you do is you take the garchomp and put that in one deck with another fighting pokemon, put the Lucario in the other deck, and then leave Cynthia out of both of them.

Why wasn't this around when Accelgor shenanigans first came out?
It's an interesting replacement for Float Stone when it rotates, though. Might make some decks fall flat compared to using Float Stone, but others could still utilize this well.

Its name in combination of it being a rocket skate board already made me laugh. WPM's quip at the end was the icing on the cake.

Not a fan. Whats 2 instead of 3 going to do on a Golisopod-GX or a Garbodor? 1 instead of 2 for Zoroark-GX is admittedly pretty sweet but you will almost always wanr DCE attached so it doesnt really matter. There has been virtually no sleep as of late in the meta and Heatmor is currently the only deck with paralysis. If they ever allow Float Stone to rotate I will be much more annoyed than when VS Seeker was rotated.

Disclaimer:
This is my (cynical) view as more of a collector than a player about this hypothetical situation. I'm sure those who are strictly focused on the TCG at the highest level could argue that $40 for the 4 Supporters is a necessary evil if they need them for their deck. It's a different mindset. I just don't agree with it. All I'm saying is that one outcome sounds far more appealing than the other, and it would be greatly appreciated if this was made as an uncommon--not just by me, but for anyone who plays and has a budget. If there's one thing that gets under my skin about the TCG now, it is TPCi's pull rates and their handling of rarities, especially in the Sun & Moon sets. (Which I suppose is two things, but they kind of go hand in hand.) But I'll stop my rant there before it actually starts.

TPCi has been fair to us in the past, though, in terms of taking things that were rare in Japan and making them more common elsewhere. Though this might not be the best comparison (both in playability and rarity), but the best example I can think of is Espeon Prime, Umbreon Prime, and Raichu Prime being in Undaunted. In Japan, they were all extremely rare Promo cards (I forget how they were obtained; possibly had to do with tournaments) and they tended to be listed for hundreds of dollars. (Though, I can't speak for whether or not they sold.) But TPCi decided to put them in Undaunted, same pull rate as any other Prime, and they were super cheap because they were so common. That was very much appreciated.

Useless tirade that no one cares about over. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised this is your view as more a collector rather than player. I don't know if many decks will really play 4 Cynthia right now, and after other ones get rotated, new supporters will see play.

In this sense, is it unfair that good GX cards are released? Those are rarer, more expensive, and often playable for a much shorter time period than trainers.

I don't think those undaunted primes were even playable, their release certainly hindered the value of the Japanese versions.

I definitely think they should try and make cards for viable decks, reasonably cheap, like lowest rarity standard budget decks for $100 range,
but they need to produce cards that are worth money, to get people to buy and open packs. Based on how many packs are being opened these days, non-playable/non-popular ultra rare cards are worth as low as $1-2.

What I'm trying to get at is, people aren't going to buy packs for $4 when the most valuable cards you can pull are worth less than that. The hobby needs expensive playable and non-playable cards in general. Not that this particular card needs to be playable, but if all good cards are released as uncommons, the whole TCG is going to take a hit.

At first, I thought this would be a good one of tech, but then I thought, this is just an inferior version of switch. Switch does the same thing this does, except instead of reducing retreat by one, Switch reduces it to Zero. Sure, you can use this more than once, but Guzma exists and is played a lot, and switch seems similar and is used very rarely.

Maybe a one of tech in a few decks at best

the synergy of these cards is too good. if somehow you manage to set a garchomp and 2 lucarios you're rolling. but that's definitely going to be a problem, setting up in the first place.

also a shame it can't seem to hit 250 in standard unless i'm forgetting something.
You could use choice band/ Prof. Kikui

I wonder if Altaria from Crimson Invasion would do well in a Garchomp/ Lucario deck? Also, even though it is a stage 1 you can get it out technically first turn and attack using it turn 1 ( assuming you are going second). The way you do this is playing Wally and with this you can increase your odds of getting out Garchomp turn 1 with Altaria by using Victini with to have 75% chance of getting Garchomp out turn 1

We are getting a Lucario GX for sure, I believe unless the product is it isn't cancelled. A few weeks ago or something on this site, an Article was made about a Lucario GX Box

We are getting a Lucario GX for sure, I believe unless the product is it isn't cancelled. A few weeks ago or something on this site, an Article was made about a Lucario GX Box

Yes I know of the article, but with how flaky TCPI has been, who knows if we'll get it or not.

I'm surprised this is your view as more a collector rather than player. I don't know if many decks will really play 4 Cynthia right now, and after other ones get rotated, new supporters will see play.

In this sense, is it unfair that good GX cards are released? Those are rarer, more expensive, and often playable for a much shorter time period than trainers.

I don't think those undaunted primes were even playable, their release certainly hindered the value of the Japanese versions.

I definitely think they should try and make cards for viable decks, reasonably cheap, like lowest rarity standard budget decks for $100 range,
but they need to produce cards that are worth money, to get people to buy and open packs. Based on how many packs are being opened these days, non-playable/non-popular ultra rare cards are worth as low as $1-2.

What I'm trying to get at is, people aren't going to buy packs for $4 when the most valuable cards you can pull are worth less than that. The hobby needs expensive playable and non-playable cards in general. Not that this particular card needs to be playable, but if all good cards are released as uncommons, the whole TCG is going to take a hit.
It sounds like you're underestimating Cynthia, especially in a format after N and Sycamore have rotated. In a few months, players will be split on Cynthia and whether or not it fits into their decks. After N and Sycamore are gone, what do we have with similar effects? Ilima (highly doubt this will ever see competitive play), Lillie, Hala, and Wicke. Maybe you can include Sophocles too. Out of everything that we currently have in the Sun and Moon sets, Cynthia is the most consistent and the least gimmicky or situational. Keeping Cynthia as a holo with TCPi's pull rates would be akin to N only being printed as an ultra rare on the same rarity of regular EX's and GX's. (That's essentially what the frequency of pulling holos has become now. It's pretty much on par with regular GX's.)

"I don't think those undaunted primes were even playable..." That's why I said this might not be the best comparison, both in playability and rarity. The point about the Primes was that sometimes TPCi does throw us a bone every now and then. If they decided to make Cynthia an uncommon, that would be a similar situation and would certainly be appreciated.

I'm not trying to argue. Sorry if it seems like it. I'm just trying to say this would suck if it stayed as a holo internationally.

escape board... haven't seen a huge amount of asleep/paralyze decks lately but since float stone will rotate next year at least we get a somewhat useful replacement.
I think you may be not 100% correct. Raichu paralyze, and in expanded lasers are very strong.

Back