Discussion Is Volcanion a tier 2 deck now?

Seastrome

Aspiring Trainer
I have played close to a 1000 games with the deck and it was my first deck I played back in spring when I started out. In this format, I struggle to win with it because Gardevoir destroys it with ease and Espeon Garb makes things tough with confusion. I obviously know how to play the deck but it doesn't seem as good anymore because of Gardevoir.

I am finding Golisopod to be the most consistent deck in this format, aside from it's weakness to fire. But I'd like to use Volcanion but I just can't win with it like I used to. :/

Volcanion has be surmounted by Ho-Oh/Salazzle. The classic Volcanion EX focused build just doesn't keep pace as it takes way more set up to get Volcanion EX going compared to other attackers like Ho-Oh GX or late game Salazzle GX since Volcanion EX's 130 base damage pales in comparison to Ho-Oh's 180 or Salazzle's potential 200-250

Volcanion has be surmounted by Ho-Oh/Salazzle. The classic Volcanion EX focused build just doesn't keep pace as it takes way more set up to get Volcanion EX going compared to other attackers like Ho-Oh GX or late game Salazzle GX since Volcanion EX's 130 base damage pales in comparison to Ho-Oh's 180 or Salazzle's potential 200-250

Yeah, I don't like that version. It sucked ass when I tried it. Got killed by Gardevoir 6-0.

Yeah, I don't like that version. It sucked ass when I tried it. Got killed by Gardevoir 6-0.
That's because Fire decks are Gardevoir's best match up. It's almost rocks beats scissors good. Did you play against anything else?

That's because Fire decks are Gardevoir's best match up. It's almost rocks beats scissors good. Did you play against anything else?

yeah, lost to Bulu as well. The deck felt very weak in terms of damage output. I got a Ho-oh out but no way to reuse his attack and i got stuck with Salazzle after Bulu took out my Ho-Oh. Idk, i don't like the deck much, just wish it was better is all I'm saying.

yeah, lost to Bulu as well. The deck felt very weak in terms of damage output. I got a Ho-oh out but no way to reuse his attack and i got stuck with Salazzle after Bulu took out my Ho-Oh. Idk, i don't like the deck much, just wish it was better is all I'm saying.
It's a tier 1 list and should beat bulu handidly. Sounds like the issue is with the list you ran or the way you played it

It's a tier 1 list and should beat bulu handidly. Sounds like the issue is with the list you ran or the way you played it
That is going to depend heavily on the skill of person piloting Bulu and the strength of their deck list. I win more games with it than I lose when paired up with fire decks, and my build isn't even ideal.

I played Ho-Oh/Salazzle with 2 Volc ex, 1 baby volc this past weekend and I did the best I've ever done against a stacked line up.

It's not an autoloss to anything, against Garde, you have to just get swinging early. I opted to use ho-Oh take out a Ralts, then a Lele for some early prizes, as I'm expecting to lose Ho-Oh to Garde, then Salazzle can come in swinging once you've taken some prizes or use it's GX attack to bin off a heavily energied Garde

Though in Hindsight, i'd use Turt more so than ho-oh but it's certainly not autoloss to anything. Because Ho-oh helps fix water weakness

Back