Help Is Ninetales GX Deck a Good Deck that is Better to Use than Darkrai or Volcanion?

StevenM

Aspiring Trainer
I'm looking for a deck that isn't clunky and can overcome the user making misplays. I am not mentally able to think through critical situations sometimes and I tend to make mistakes. I know that to do well I have to try to perform my best but it's a frustrating issue I have. I was wondering how Ninetales deck plays? It seems like it has a versatility that might suit me.

Last edited:
No deck can overcome making misplays

Idk, it's just impossible to know what a good play is in every situation. Like for when I have Lele in hand with a supporter like Sycamore, i'll just retrieve another with Lele, and dump the cards. idk. I'm just no good at critical thinking so if a game is tight, chances are I lose because I'll mess up or forget something. Been practicing non stop and it keeps cropping up.

TCGs are a critical thinking game. That is just one of the skill you need to be successful and it just takes experience

For instance there are multiple things you could have done in your Lele example. You could get an N so that you keep the Sycamores in your deck. You could get a supporter they you run multiple of so that when you dump you cards for the Sycamore already in hand you now have an extra option for VS Seeker. Or you could just not play the Lele as it is a liability if you aren't going to invest energy into it.

TCGs are a critical thinking game. That is just one of the skill you need to be successful and it just takes experience

For instance there are multiple things you could have done in your Lele example. You could get an N so that you keep the Sycamores in your deck. You could get a supporter they you run multiple of so that when you dump you cards for the Sycamore already in hand you now have an extra option for VS Seeker. Or you could just not play the Lele as it is a liability if you aren't going to invest energy into it.

If I can't improve after 400 or so games, there's just no hope. I fudging suck. I used Volcanion deck against Gyarados and lost.

Gyarados beats volcanion. And 400 games is barely scratching the surface

I dug in deep vs Gyarados to the point where he had to rely on his Lele to shield him because I didn't have enough to take it out. I only had 2 Volcanion Ex's (none with more than 1 energy) and baby Volcanion with Choice Band and energy. If I would have gotten Lysandre for his Shaymin, I woulda won but I ran out of resources as I had none or VS Seekers. We were both low on cards.

I know that makes it seem like I played well but the fact is I lost. And I played a Sylveon deck and forfeited because I don't feel like being stalled out. Idk man. I ALWAYS lose close games and don't get why. is it the opponents getting lucky?

Considering that you think using Lele to get a Sycamore when you already have a Sycamore is a play to make, no I don't think your opponents are getting lucky

And that's why Gyarados is a bad match up for volcanion. Because it is predominantly a deck of single prize pokemon you have to expand way more resources then the gyarados does to take all 6 prizes.

Considering that you think using Lele to get a Sycamore when you already have a Sycamore is a play to make, no I don't think your opponents are getting lucky

And that's why Gyarados is a bad match up for volcanion. Because it is predominantly a deck of single prize pokemon you have to expand way more resources then the gyarados does to take all 6 prizes.

So I just Sycamore and discard the Lele? See, that's what i'm trying to say. It's not clear as day what the right play is.

So I just Sycamore and discard the Lele? See, that's what i'm trying to say. It's not clear as day what the right play is.
Dude there is literally no reason to search another sycamore if you are already going to use a sycamore to discard it. You get zero benefit because you are already going to play a sycamore and you'll already have a sycamore in the discard for VS Seeker. All you are doing is removing a sycamore from your deck which is a bad thing because now you have less draw options for your self. What you said you did is literally the worse choice for the situation.

There is no one right answer in that situation because the situation is always different. It depends on what your opponent is playing, how the board state is, what you need. I gave you 3 potential plays for that situation and all of them are valid but you pick one depending on how the game is going at the moment and what you want to happen going forward. That is was critical thinking is.

Dude there is literally no reason to search another sycamore if you are already going to use a sycamore to discard it. You get zero benefit because you are already going to play a sycamore and you'll already have a sycamore in the discard for VS Seeker. All you are doing is removing a sycamore from your deck which is a bad thing because now you have less draw options for your self. What you said you did is literally the worse choice for the situation.

There is no one right answer in that situation because the situation is always different. It depends on what your opponent is playing, how the board state is, what you need. I gave you 3 potential plays for that situation and all of them are valid but you pick one depending on how the game is going at the moment and what you want to happen going forward. That is was critical thinking is.

The problem I have is I don't know which option is correct in a situation because yeah, I do want something to happen but it seems like I always choose wrong. And you talk like it's a fixable issue but is it really? I feel like it's a mental thing that's just always gonna doom me with games like this. My record is 8-6 with this new Volcanion deck. To me, I see that record so far and think wow, I'm barely above 50%, I suck.

You've only been playing for 2 months. That is not anytime at all. You say you played 400 games but in that time frame you aren't going to be learning anything from it because you are just rocketing through games. You need to play games looking to learn, not just to get a victory screen or a W on your record sheet.

You've only been playing for 2 months. That is not anytime at all. You say you played 400 games but in that time frame you aren't going to be learning anything from it because you are just rocketing through games. You need to play games looking to learn, not just to get a victory screen or a W on your record sheet.

I'm trying to learn while also looking to win but all I am finding is that in losses, I come up just short. In a lot of the games as Volcanion, i lose to stuff like water decks. Before Guardians Rising, I was winning a lot of games with Volcanion. Not so much now. Things got harder.

I'm trying to learn while also looking to win but all I am finding is that in losses, I come up just short. In a lot of the games as Volcanion, i lose to stuff like water decks. Before Guardians Rising, I was winning a lot of games with Volcanion. Not so much now. Things got harder.

I just fought myself out of a tough Mega Ray situation where he had the complete set up on me. Disrupting his Sky Field, taking out his Mega Ray, and N'ing him down to 1 really saved me. I would have easily won if I were able to draw into a Lysandre but that's apparently not allowed for me.

I'd hate to say it but you're not going to fix your problem with good deck if you lack fundamentals and understanding of how the decks work. The best thing you can do is find a deck and just play it. Get hours of experience with it and learn why it works the way it does and what works for you.

It almost seems like he is trolling. Who goes for another Sycamore if they have Sycamore? VS. Seeker, Shayamin EX, and Lysandre will be rotated out soon, so you can't afford to make a mistake like that. Maybe start practicing with those post BREAK trainers so you can have a slight edge when everyone loses their Shayamins. If you are a goob, you may as well be a goob ahead of the crowd.

I'd hate to say it but you're not going to fix your problem with good deck if you lack fundamentals and understanding of how the decks work. The best thing you can do is find a deck and just play it. Get hours of experience with it and learn why it works the way it does and what works for you.

I play Tapu Lele after Pokemon Fan Club to fetch Sycamore for next turn. And then the guy Delinquets me. I mean, who runs that for one? I have played HOURS on end. In fact, it's all I do and yet, nothing has changed. Like I have said, it's difficult to know what a right play is. How do I figure out the right plays? Is there a guide on how to accomplish this? because i'm just not getting it to be honest. I'm guessing I somehow misplayed with Lele and Fan Club but how was I supposed to know he runs Delinquet in a Espeon/Garb deck? It's too niche of a card to get use out of most of the time.

Almost every game I play, I always misplay somehow and practicing has only meant more chances to misplay. :(

I play Tapu Lele after Pokemon Fan Club to fetch Sycamore for next turn. And then the guy Delinquets me. I mean, who runs that for one? I have played HOURS on end. In fact, it's all I do and yet, nothing has changed. Like I have said, it's difficult to know what a right play is. How do I figure out the right plays? Is there a guide on how to accomplish this? because i'm just not getting it to be honest. I'm guessing I somehow misplayed with Lele and Fan Club but how was I supposed to know he runs Delinquet in a Espeon/Garb deck? It's too niche of a card to get use out of most of the time.

Almost every game I play, I always misplay somehow and practicing has only meant more chances to misplay. :(

The best thing I can tell you to do is play a better card game like Yu-Gi-Oh or MtG. While I don't think Yu-Gi-Oh is a much better card game, it did teach me fundamentals. In my many years of playing it, one lesson I was always taught was to NEVER overextend. Each time I played something I didn't need to play, I would either lose outright, lose board state or risk something I didn't otherwise needed to. A example of this was when I had game point, I summoned a monster and when I did, they activated their Trap card Torrential Tribute, which destroys all monsters on the field, costing me the match and I would do things like this often. The fact I played these games, it made me a better Pokemon player. The same thing is true for fighting games. The things I learned from Mortal Kombat, Tekken and Street Fighter made be a better player in other fighters.

I don't play anything I don't need to now and I don't ever overextend. With cards like N, Red Card, Delinquent and the many other hand disruptions in the game, I wouldn't ever play a Tapu Lele for a Supporter I didn't intend on playing that turn, though this does depend of the Supporter I plan on playing but even then, doing that gives the opponent too much information, something you don't want to do.

You also want to assume somethings. I always assume Dark decks play Delinquent, as well as Quad decks and other disruption decks and don't let my had drop below four cards if I can avoid it. Believe it or not, Garbodor is a disruption deck and the do run it, sometimes two copies of it so they can force you to discard Item cards. Sometimes you do want to grab a Supporter to deck thin so you have a better chance of drawing something else. The goal here is to just play a deck and continue to play it until you know it. You'll figure out and learn things as you go and sometimes it can take months or years to learn the deck. Dark decks are as good as they are because of how many people played them and the tech learned. It's not going to be easy but you will learn. Don't stop playing a deck because things don't go your way, just use it as a chance to learn.

The best thing I can tell you to do is play a better card game like Yu-Gi-Oh or MtG. While I don't think Yu-Gi-Oh is a much better card game, it did teach me fundamentals. In my many years of playing it, one lesson I was always taught was to NEVER overextend. Each time I played something I didn't need to play, I would either lose outright, lose board state or risk something I didn't otherwise needed to. A example of this was when I had game point, I summoned a monster and when I did, they activated their Trap card Torrential Tribute, which destroys all monsters on the field, costing me the match and I would do things like this often. The fact I played these games, it made me a better Pokemon player. The same thing is true for fighting games. The things I learned from Mortal Kombat, Tekken and Street Fighter made be a better player in other fighters.

I don't play anything I don't need to now and I don't ever overextend. With cards like N, Red Card, Delinquent and the many other hand disruptions in the game, I wouldn't ever play a Tapu Lele for a Supporter I didn't intend on playing that turn, though this does depend of the Supporter I plan on playing but even then, doing that gives the opponent too much information, something you don't want to do.

You also want to assume somethings. I always assume Dark decks play Delinquent, as well as Quad decks and other disruption decks and don't let my had drop below four cards if I can avoid it. Believe it or not, Garbodor is a disruption deck and the do run it, sometimes two copies of it so they can force you to discard Item cards. Sometimes you do want to grab a Supporter to deck thin so you have a better chance of drawing something else. The goal here is to just play a deck and continue to play it until you know it. You'll figure out and learn things as you go and sometimes it can take months or years to learn the deck. Dark decks are as good as they are because of how many people played them and the tech learned. It's not going to be easy but you will learn. Don't stop playing a deck because things don't go your way, just use it as a chance to learn.

So you're basically telling me to quit? I did play Yugioh a long time ago and did well at many regionals with top 8's, qualifying for nats, etc. That was back in 2008 when i last played that. I hadn't played a card game since until this year. i hate losing to dumb luck though. I vs a Vespiqueen deck and it beats me because I am stuck on Volcanion Ex and I can't get anything like Float Stone in time to prevent him from getting going. I made it a game towards the end where he had to do something on a turn or i'd win.

The lesson I took from that is to play 4 Float Stones instead of 3 and get another Lele so I can have 2 (for online). And also Skyla so I can search out the Float Stones. But then I dump Olympias as they don't help much.

So you're basically telling me to quit? I did play Yugioh a long time ago and did well at many regionals with top 8's, qualifying for nats, etc. That was back in 2008 when i last played that. I hadn't played a card game since until this year. i hate losing to dumb luck though. I vs a Vespiqueen deck and it beats me because I am stuck on Volcanion Ex and I can't get anything like Float Stone in time to prevent him from getting going. I made it a game towards the end where he had to do something on a turn or i'd win.

The lesson I took from that is to play 4 Float Stones instead of 3 and get another Lele so I can have 2 (for online). And also Skyla so I can search out the Float Stones. But then I dump Olympias as they don't help much.

I don't mean quit, I mean play another card game with more interacts so you can pick up better habits. If you don't want to do that, then find yourself a competitive group of players and just play games. They will teach you a lot. You're going to lose a lot and that's okay since the goal is to learn and figure out when you need to play cards.

I guess the question is what deck are your playing and what is its list?

Back