Discussion Is Empoleon worth using?

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
I used Empoleon at the prerelease tournament in Renton yesterday and thought it was pretty good, with its Total Command attack potentially allowing up to 230 damage against an opposing EX/GX and its other atttack removing energies, so I want your guys's honest assessment of this card and if it's worth bothering with in competitive play, and if so what are some good builds/techs.

It has a lot of potential, but as a Stage 2 that's heavily reliant on both player's bench size, it has it's downsides. Your opponent can simply play around it by not filling their bench. Even so, with a full bench on your side you're still getting 2HKOs on most things because your opponent is bound to have at least one or two Pokémon on their bench. The Energy cost is a little awkward since it's two manual attachments, but you do have access to Aqua Patch which helps. I think Zoroark-GX, unsurprisingly, is it's best partner because it helps with the deck's consistency, quick to set up, a solid back-up attacker, and also relies on your bench for damage which should be filled since Empoleon needs a full bench to maximize damage too.

It has a lot of potential, but as a Stage 2 that's heavily reliant on both player's bench size, it has it's downsides. Your opponent can simply play around it by not filling their bench. Even so, with a full bench on your side you're still getting 2HKOs on most things because your opponent is bound to have at least one or two Pokémon on their bench. The Energy cost is a little awkward since it's two manual attachments, but you do have access to Aqua Patch which helps. I think Zoroark-GX, unsurprisingly, is it's best partner because it helps with the deck's consistency, quick to set up, a solid back-up attacker, and also relies on your bench for damage which should be filled since Empoleon needs a full bench to maximize damage too.

Already thought of Zoroark as a partner.

Another thing also is that the opponent not filling their bench can be used to your advantage to pressure them. My biggest concern here is Cyrus if it becomes popular, although since the opponent can only use one and only certain kinds of decks can play it that makes it easier to play around I guess?

Another thing also is that the opponent not filling their bench can be used to your advantage to pressure them. My biggest concern here is Cyrus if it becomes popular, although since the opponent can only use one and only certain kinds of decks can play it that makes it easier to play around I guess?
Just run Poképuff to force ‘em to fill the bench, I have a list somewhere here

I don't think Cyrus is a huge threat to the deck because you get to pick what two Pokémon stay on your bench so it can certainly be annoying but doesn't completely shut you down.

Back