Discussion Is Barbaracle (Fates Collide) Broken???

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Yo guys, I was looking through some bulk and found this Barbaracle from Fates Collide and thought is was really good. So, here's the card:

Stage 1 (Evolves from Binacle) HP: 100 [W type]

Ability: Hand Block

If you have a stadium card in play, your opponent can't attach Special Energy from his or her hand to his or her Pokemon.

[W][W][C] Claw slash 70

Weakness: [G]

Resistance: None

Retreat [C][C[C]

So what I was looking at was the ability (Obviously) and though with all the DCE's and Strong Energy that this card could be really good,

But do you guys think will it be to easy to replace or discard what ever stadium you have in play???

What will be the best Partner for this (I was thinking Zoroark GX In EXPANDED with Sky Field)

What will be the best STANDARD stadium for this card???

What do you guys think?

-Biff the Potato

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I would LOVE to see this card really good!
Unfortunately a lot of Zoroark variants are playing Parallel City at the moment which could potentially "block" the ability (geddit) and most decks are still running at least a single copy of Field Blower. In Expanded with Ninetales PRC though, it could work.

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
the only problem with ninetales is the fact that if your stadium gets Field blowered, you can't replace it with another.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Well if you set up eggecutor/ninetales/barbaracle/vileplume you could do it and win after a million turns

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Any deck that does not rely on directly attaching Special and only Special Energy will completely ignore this card.
Any deck that plays Field Blower or any other kind of stadium will completely ignore this card.
There are very few ways to recycle Stadiums, making it inconvenient.

At the very least, 100HP is frail and it can be easily knocked out. It takes a Basic and a Stage 1 to get it into play. If you're using the argument of playing it in Expanded, they can also play Hex Maniac and completely ignore the effect of the ability.

There are so many ways to get around this card it's ridiculous to the point where it will never work.
The answer is no, it is not broken.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Well if you set up eggecutor/ninetales/barbaracle/vileplume you could do it and win after a million turns

That's way too niche, and I never expect something like that to ever be able to be consistently set up no matter how you work it.
This also doesn't stop the fact that if they simply attach basic energy, Barbaracle is useless.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
The problem with Barbaracle is that is has to be YOUR stadium in play and not your opponent's. so If your opponent plays stadiums then barbaracle doesn't work

Draskk

Blast From The Past
No, it certainly isn't. Some decks don't rely on Special Energy at all, and the Ability can be shut down by playing a Field Blower or counter stadium. However, I do see a few uses for the card. The best is using it instead of Alolan Muk in Lonzoroark, for the mirror & any other Special Energy reliant deck. Plus with Barbaracle out you can still use Eggs. Another is using it in Buzzroc since you can grab Binacle with Brooklet Hill and you're running 4 Stadiums. Anyways, here's what Lonzoroark with Barbaracle would look like:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Oranguru UPR 114
* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 4 Zorua DEX 70
* 1 Zoroark BLW 71
* 1 Zoroark BKT 91
* 3 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 1 Sudowoodo GRI 66
* 2 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Binacle FCO 22
* 1 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20
* 1 Barbaracle FCO 23

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 4 Sky Field ROS 89
* 4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 1 Professor Juniper DEX 98
* 2 Colress PLS 118
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 N FCO 105
* 1 Ghetsis PLF 101
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 1 Mallow GRI 127
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 3 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 1 Pokémon Communication BLW 99

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Basically, I just took the most recent Lonzoroark list that did well, swapped Bunnelby for Oranguru, Compressor for a fourth Sky Field, Ranger for a Mallow, and called it a day. :p

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
That's way too niche, and I never expect something like that to ever be able to be consistently set up no matter how you work it.
This also doesn't stop the fact that if they simply attach basic energy, Barbaracle is useless.
I wasn't serious merely giving a redicoulous deck idea that would allow barbaracle to functionally make special energy only decks Autolose

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Sorry I couldn't reply I was at league today and couldn't respond :).

I have been testing this a little but I'm just going to play this for fun, but I build a Zoroark GX/Trashalanche Garbodor/Barbaracle deck in Expanded that can do 210 turn 2 easily and it sets up really nicely but I again will only play this 4 fun.

I think that Barbaracle can be really good against some decks but trash against others and I now am not to convinced that it's broken anymore.

triplemo

Aspiring Trainer
My little brother played zoroark barbaracle at dallas in juniors and bubbled at 9th with this list:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 4 Zorua SLG 52
* 3 Zoroark-GX PR-SM SM84
* 2 Binacle FLF 48
* 1 Sudowoodo GRI 66
* 1 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 3 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20
* 2 Barbaracle FCO 23

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 1 Lysandre AOR 78
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Colress PLS 118
* 2 Float Stone PLF 99
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 N FCO 105
* 4 Sky Field ROS 89
* 2 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 59

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I played seniors, and sadly bubbled out of cp. The combo always wins against sky field zoroark if you get toad skyfield(your own), and barbaracle, as their only way out is ranger or hex, which is hard to get as a one-of card, with no items. Combo straight up wins games. Have been testing Cyrus ⟁, which is broken in any turn of the lock.

Last edited:

uncleyuri

~
It's not broken, but with the current state of the game it can be good. Some people hear are underselling its potential a bit. Some obvious stadiums to run with this are parallel city and sky field depending on your deck. I can see this being a 1-1 line in the straight Zoroark variant. If you run sky field and get one down first you could potentially get 2-3 turns of this card's ability sticking. Just having it stick once or twice a game could make all the difference.

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Yeah I have just been running it as a 1-1 line in Strait Zoroark and the 1-1 line might be good on Zoroark Vespiquen with parrelel city and sky field.