Discussion How to Destroy the Mega Mewtwo Decks!

Bluegrass_PokeMon

Aspiring Trainer
From what I can tell, as a novice, Mega Mewtwo decks will be quite heavy in play and very hard to defeat. As a returning player, what deck ideas can be created to counter this monstrosity of a deck? lol

Mew FCL can hit Mewtwo for Weakness and is a non-EX, and despite its frailty has been sneaking its way into some decks. Many Mewtwo builds run Garbodor BKP however, and that stops Mew's Ability, so you need to play Mew with care.

As for decks that have even or straight up positive matchups, M Scizor-EX has Resistance and discards Doubke Colorless Energy, which Mewrwo relies on. Regice AOR and Glaceon-EX can also rain on Mewtwo's parade, as their attacks grant them immunities from M Mewtwo-EX's damage, and in the right deck can be tricky to play around. There's also Giratina-EX, which will have staying power in this format, but also doesn't like Garbodor.

Mega Ray stomps mewtwo. And regice and glaceon are easy to get around cuz ranger.
Garbodor shuts down Tina's ability. And any good mega mewtwo player will be able to take down mega Scizor but not easily.

Last edited:
I must admit: Mega Mewtwo is indeed one tough card to take down by several means. Part of it is that you often must 1-hit it, or else it can just Damage Swap against you to heal - and the if the process of 1-hitting involves loading up on energy, another Mega Mewtwo can come out for an easy KO. It gets harder now, due to other Psychic strategies loosing Dimension Valley.

I think the Cruel Traitor Mega Gardevior is a big counter, as it hits 220 for weakness for only two energy, so it is harder to revenge KO. Additionally, the next set will have a Mewtwo that could make an excellent tech counter that can be used in many other decks.

The biggest counter to Mewtwo would be the card lab making a errata on what is an obviously broken attack (Damage exchange). I hate this attack it forces you to play a deck that can 1 shot opponents in the up to 230 damage department. if a deck can easily shut down a multitude of decks without any skill involved its pretty much instantly broken and the only reason why its a big deal now is because mewtwo know longer has to worry about a 60 hp pumpkin OHKO'ing it all the time. Also to comment on somebody above i definitely believe scizor is a solid counter to Mega mewtwo with magearna EX it makes damage change not work on scizor though the healing affect still works it forces the opponent into a situation of no damage dealing and Mscizors attack also discards Shrine of memories so another big help. yes theres garbodor but scizor can KO it easily under ability lock unlike decks like Greninja.

I run an M scizor EX deck, and I fear no M Mewtwo. I run a couple Parallel City, and M Scizor drew cards stadia on attack, so that covers the shrine of memories for damage change quite well. Also, liberal application of hammers, grunts, and an attack cost of only 2 on scizor, psychic infinity never really gets to an unmanageable level. Really, anything that doesn't need to load itself up with energy for big attack has a better time of it.

As @Lanstar says, M Gardevoir-EX (Despair Ray) is a great counter to M Mewtwo-EX. It OHKOs Mega Mewtwo with a 2 Energy attack without needing to discard any benched Pokemon.

In return, Mega Mewtwo can't one shot Mega Gardevoir unless it has stacked at least 5 Energy cards (assuming Mega Gardevoir has 2 attached).

Yeah, Despair Ray. I haven't had a chance to test it yet but I see no way in which that matchup is winnable for Mewtwo.

If there are lots of Mewtwos in your area I would definitely suggest M-Gard because it's so easy to power up. You don't even need to worry about them pulling up your Shaymins.

One thing people seem to forget when discussing M Mewtwo vs M Scizor is that you lose to the basic Mewtwo with Damage change. Not through Shrine of Memories, but just loading up the basic Mewtwo by itself can wreck M Scizor.

I am coming across a lot of M Mewtwo/Garbodor decks, followed after by Darkrai/Tina, so that's why I choose to play M Garde (STS). It's a very consistent deck, it can deal 220 with due to weakness. Giratina is easy countered by Hex Maniac and Darkrai has a hard time even to 2HKO M Garde.
The only match that I cant win at all is against M Scizor/Garbodor, which also counter M Mewtwo, Giratina and M Ray.

One thing people seem to forget when discussing M Mewtwo vs M Scizor is that you lose to the basic Mewtwo with Damage change. Not through Shrine of Memories, but just loading up the basic Mewtwo by itself can wreck M Scizor.
How so? M Scizor deal 120 to Mewtwo, then Mewtwo Damage, then M Scizor leave both of them with 120 damage on them, then basic Mewtwo simply can not take down M Scizor on its own because that would need 5 psyquic energy attached to finish the job. If it evolves to M Mewtwo you can take down M Scizor, but in the end you won't be able to keep up with M Scizor attack every turn.

How so? M Scizor deal 120 to Mewtwo, then Mewtwo Damage, then M Scizor leave both of them with 120 damage on them, then basic Mewtwo simply can not take down M Scizor on its own because that would need 5 psyquic energy attached to finish the job. If it evolves to M Mewtwo you can take down M Scizor, but in the end you won't be able to keep up with M Scizor attack every turn.
lysandre-ancient-origins-aor-78-312x441.jpg
M Scizor can hit Mewtwo for 120, Mewtwo lysandres out Shaymin and damage changes it, and then it's at no damage again. It's pretty much 2 free prizes and a full heal until all the Shaymin-EXes are gone, at which point you can just build up a mega and knock out a Scizor to win if you need to.

I have a m Mewtwo Garbodor deck on PTCGO and against the m Scizor EX match, I really don't fear them. Scizor (both) can't do enough damage to me so I never fear the OHKO. I just dump all my energy on a m Mewtwo EX and just KO everything and f I can get the OHKO, then great but I don't focus on it because that Scizor s damaged and I just damage change against a Shaymin EX or another non damage Scizor on the bench. I consider the matchup pretty much an auto win for mewtwo because you have so many outs. If anything, you as the scizor player has to make moves. If the Scizor deck plays Magearna EX, its even more in favor for Mewtwo because now you can stall them out.

Scizor is a on trick pony. Energy removal can make things hard for Mewtwo but it really depends on the build Scizor has. If scizor player both hammers, grunt, and puzzles, then the match up will be in their favor. The best way to play Scizor in my opinion is to run it as a complete anti meta deck so scizor needs hammers.

I run a Raikou Jolteon deck irl and in the TCGO and I have a very tough time defeating Mewtwo-EX/Garbodor decks. I run into those kind of decks alot and I only came very close to defeating one of 'em with Raikou. I used a bunch of VS Seekers and kept using Lysandre to knock out the weaker Pokémons. Otherwise, with my Electric deck I have no clue how to defeat these kinds of decks.

Regice AOR and Glaceon-EX can also rain on Mewtwo's parade, as their attacks grant them immunities from M Mewtwo-EX's damage, and in the right deck can be tricky to play around. There's also Giratina-EX, which will have staying power in this format, but also doesn't like Garbodor.

Glaceon is not immune to damage change, it has different text than Regice on Crystal Ray

Counters to M Mewtwo Y, eh? Well, here are some ideas:

1.) Pokemon that can deal big hits in a single strike. Guys like Rainbow Road Xerneas and M Rayquaza should have an easy enough time doing this, although having so many filler Pokemon around could hurt you in the end if you can't hit for the golden 210 damage. If you want to be more blunt about it, you can just use Steam Stiege M Gardevoir's Despair Ray and aim for the OHKO.

2.) Render Damage Change useless. The most straightforward means to do that is to win the Stadium war. Decks like M Rayquaza and Grass decks in general tend to run a high stadium count. Magearna-EX's ability also protects you from the negative effects of Damage Change, but since it gets shut down by Garbodor, that may not be a reliable option. Mill and Energy Destruction decks such as Houndoom-EX / Bunnelby and M Scizor-EX also get the job done relatively well.

3.) Focus your attention on the Bench. Most decks have to use a Shaymin-EX or two in order to reliably set up their field, so when you have Pokemon that can strike the bench like M Audino-EX and Steam Siege Galvantula, that can create substantial problems for them in the long-run. They either need to be more conservative with their Shaymins and hope they get good draws or devote resources to either protecting the Bench or discarding whatever Shaymins are on their bench at the moment, and since there's no AZ in standard right now, M Mewtwo decks will be forced to make a sacrifice later on in the season.

Bent Spoon to render Damage Change useless and Barrage Nidoqueen to kill in a single hit with Giovanni's Scheme and Faded Town for extra dmg in other match ups.

View attachment 11737
M Scizor can hit Mewtwo for 120, Mewtwo lysandres out Shaymin and damage changes it, and then it's at no damage again. It's pretty much 2 free prizes and a full heal until all the Shaymin-EXes are gone, at which point you can just build up a mega and knock out a Scizor to win if you need to.

If you have Lysandre handy.

If your opponent has an appropriate target on the Bench.

By this logic though, other decks do not have to take down M Mewtwo-EX, just its Bench. ;)

This point is not entirely without merit, but it isn't the be all end all answer either. As a hypothetical, because I don't know M Scizor-EX decks except as a general concept, can they try a trick like shifting gears to Scizor-EX as well? I mean, are you going to keep using Damage Change while Scizor-EX puts just enough damage on you to set up for a 2HKO the next turn, but not enough that you'll get to Lysandre up something from the Bench and Damage Change for a OHKO? Really asking because I don't know. ^^'

Well, this thread reminds me why folks are so excited about Mewtwo (XY: Evolutions).

Last edited:
Back