Help How to Deal with Metagross-GX Decks?

boonsalon

Aspiring Trainer
I can not seem to deal enough damage to metagross decks. I wants to try and hit for weakness. does anyone have a good fire counter deck?

You can always try a Ho-Oh GX/Kiawe deck, that would be the most viable fire deck out there now (I don't have a list for it, sorry!)

As a former Metagross player, I wasn't really worried about weakness since I ran a copy of Altar of the Sunne in my deck, plus I had back up attackers that weren't Steel type. I would suggest picking off their Beldums and Metangs before they can evolve them into Metagross, but when they are evolved, find a way to shut off its Geotech System ability. Because without Geotech System, Metagross loses a lot of steam.

Hope that was somewhat helpful!

Sense metagross does low damage and is generally a bad deck not sure you need to be worried about it. But at the moment theres not splashable fire types so you just gotta play to metagross other weakness. Being and inconsistent stage 2 gx deck

If you want a Pokemon that can hit for weakness you could use reshram(SHL) with Fighting fury belt and deal 150 with outrage 300 with weakness.
However if you want to stop geotech system you should run a Glaceon-GX variant. while it is weak to Metagross it essentially stops it entirely.

Until they guzma. Attach energy n get knockout on something else. If you want to stop metagross the 2 good ways us garbotoxion or simply take out the beldum or metangs before had. Metagross isn't bad but it is slow setup. Attack fast and take it out.

In order to beat Metagross you need to out speed them as having three metagross is usually their win condition so parallel is good against the deck. The other way to win is if they over commit their energies to the field because everything in the deck has a high retreat cost they then struggle to retreat, trapping them in the active spot.
The best fire pokemon to take out metagross is usually salazzle, For two energies Salazzle does 110 or 50X each prize you have taken which with a choice kills metagross. I've heard the new pyroar is somewhat interesting and probably would do well against Metagross as well.

In order to beat Metagross you need to out speed them as having three metagross is usually their win condition so parallel is good against the deck. The other way to win is if they over commit their energies to the field because everything in the deck has a high retreat cost they then struggle to retreat, trapping them in the active spot.
The best fire pokemon to take out metagross is usually salazzle, For two energies Salazzle does 110 or 50X each prize you have taken which with a choice kills metagross. I've heard the new pyroar is somewhat interesting and probably would do well against Metagross as well.

If your deck is just Fire, Grass, and/or water, as Parallel city reduces the 110 from salazzle-gx's heat blast to 90(before weakness, resistance, and other factors such as choice band) if you try and limit bench first(by putting the "three pokemon" side of the stadium face-up on your opposing side, and in the process, putting the "reduce damage from all Grass, Fire, or Water Pokémon by 20 before weakness and resistance"), that strategy is a double-edged sword that won't OHKO Metagross, with or without choice band:

Heat Blast+Choice Band w/ parallel city(-20 GFW side facing you):

110(base)+30(choice band)-20(parallel city)*2(weakness)=240 damage

250(Metagross-GX max HP)-240(result from above)=10 damage left on Metagross-GX...

^ Right now, you could Po Town/Espeon-EX, but come rotation time, that will go out the standard window, and sadly, there will be no good options for devolving the bench remaining in standard, but you can use upcoming Celestial Storm(CST) Blaziken-GX in tandem w/ Magcargo CST, Rayquaza GRI, Commandment Shrine CST, and Zoroark-GX to put the autoloss(?) pressure on Metagross!

Last edited:
Back