Discussion How to counter Glaceon GX

Chicken Nugget Master

I had the munchies when I came up with my username
By now we must have all faced off against at least one Glaceon GX and realised how frustrating it is when you don't have your abilities at your disposal, and you can't simply Field Blower away the effect like you could with Garb. I believe I have found a counter for it though, in the form of Wobbuffet.

So this is what I am going to be doing from now on, and that is throwing in 1 Wobbuffet into every deck I play (Kind of like Karen/Oricorio) to counter Glaceon GX. If you start Wobbuffet, not only can your opponent not get a T1 Glaceon GX out as they can't evlove their Eevee, but you are also free to play your Lele and get your T1 Brigette as Wobbuffet does not restrict [P] Pokemon.

I'm not sure how well this will work, but I will try it anyway and I'd like some other ideas on how to counter this ability locking monster.
Thanks in advance

Escape Rope is a good choice, but it's only a 1 time use whereas Wobbuffet lasts as long as you can make it. I've been testing Wobbuffet out and it is very good at stalling no matter what you play. I almost decked my opponent out as all he could do was draw and pass.

You could also play a Metal Pokémon to hit for weakness. Celesteela can destroy Glaceon GX with just a Fighting Fury Belt. Kartana GX, Dialga GX or Magearna EX plus a Choice Band could also work. The bad is you need to run DCE and either Metal, Unit or Boost Energy.

Wobbuffet sounds like a fine counter though.

Baby Dusk Mane Necrozma from Ultra Force would've been an amazing counter but it doesn't hit for weakness...

You could also play a Metal Pokémon to hit for weakness. Celesteela can destroy Glaceon GX with just a Fighting Fury Belt. Kartana GX, Dialga GX or Magearna EX plus a Choice Band could also work. The bad is you need to run DCE and either Metal, Unit or Boost Energy.

Wobbuffet sounds like a fine counter though.

Baby Dusk Mane Necrozma from Ultra Force would've been an amazing counter but it doesn't hit for weakness...
I'll probably play Wobbuffet for now, but when Newgaleo eventually comes out I'll just play a 1-0-1 line of that, as I play a stage 2 deck anyway.

There is a chance, though, that Glaceon decks could become more sinister and go all-in on the control archetype by using Cyrus and Hammers. Maybe consider that possibility.

I don't know if your okay with me doing this @Chicken Nugget Master, but I started a thread a while about the same subject. Here is a link to it for those who are in need of a Glaceon GX counter (let me know if you would like me to remove this @Chicken Nugget Master and I would happy to do so!).
It's fine don't worry I think we all need as many counters as possible, because Glaceon GX is without a doubt the best GX from Ultra Prism. Probably the best GX we've had so far minus Zoroark and Tapu Lele. I do like the idea of Counter Catcher though, here's an idea.

Start Wobbuffet, (to help with this play extra copies of float Stone, or if you're a Goli player just use Wimpod or Koko as Glaceon doesn't shut off wimpod's ability) then stall with it until Glaceon knocks it out, then use Counter Catcher to drag a heavy retreat pokemon into their actI've.

I guess if I had to name the best Glaceon counter, though, it would have to be Octillery. The main point of Glaceon is shutting down abilities early, but Octillery is around to preserve the draw engine, so if you use him over Zoroark, you can simply overpower Glaceons without worrying too much about having a dead hand.

I guess if I had to name the best Glaceon counter, though, it would have to be Octillery. The main point of Glaceon is shutting down abilities early, but Octillery is around to preserve the draw engine, so if you use him over Zoroark, you can simply overpower Glaceons without worrying too much about having a dead hand.
Glaceon does exactly 90 damage and can do it on T2 though, so 1 Guzma or otherwise and down goes the Octo. If Glaceon wants to KO a Wobbuffet, it has to use up their supporter on a Kukui which isn't exactly the ideal draw supporter.

Glaceon does exactly 90 damage and can do it on T2 though, so 1 Guzma or otherwise and down goes the Octo. If Glaceon wants to KO a Wobbuffet, it has to use up their supporter on a Kukui which isn't exactly the ideal draw supporter.

But here's the thing. Glaceon-GX is already going out of its way just to get 1 prize off of Octillery while heavier hitters like Dusk Mane Necrozma, Golisopod, and Ho-oh are getting their set-up done. You might take down their card draw, but you've suddenly suffered a massive tempo loss by opening yourself up to an easy revenge kill that will put you at a prize disadvantage. You're not OHKOing anything with Glaceon-GX either unless you're hitting a Volcanion or burning your GX move.

I honestly think Glaceon GX is good, but can be played around. Or you just play things that aren't ability reliant as far as GX's go. The big ones are zoroark and Tapu lele, but I feel its not to hard play around. Just mine opinion.

But since the thread is about counters. Ive been testing a lot of bulu lately, and well with vikavolt not being a gx, the deck has a good match up against glaceon, surprisingly ive been faring well with a Ho-Oh GX/volc list. You never want to get volcanion ex down, and the turn 1 kiawe is super key. I think glaceon is a great card, Ive had fun playing it, but I think top players and anyone who gets enough practice can learn to deal with it. :cool:

Back