Help How Many Leles is Too Many?

PokeDad924

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all, I just wanted to get your opinions on something. In PTCGO, I currently have two Tapu Lele GX. However, looking at some checklists, particularly for Drampa/Garbodor in Standard, I see some use three. I can see some benefits, but is it really worth it, in your opinions? I ask because I can either get a third, or start working on am expanded deck, and those Ace specs ain't cheap.

2 is all you need. 3 is for more consistency, but having more means you start with it more often :(. 2 is fine all decks work with 2!

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly no deck needs 4, but 3 is advisable and 2 is definitely fine. I only have the 1 Lele currently. Sad face.

PokeDad924

Aspiring Trainer
This seems to fall in line with what I was thinking. 2 is a happy medium, but three is good in some decks, if you habe the luxury. I think I'll just aim for that Computer Search now.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Well lele acts as both a consistency booster and an attack in some decks 2 is good for decks that don't need the first turn supporter 3 is good for when you absolutely need it and 4 has been used in a successful deck(the one that won nats) So having 4 is not a bad idea if you can afford it

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Keep in mind too that the more Tapu Lele GXs you run, the greater your chance of starting with it - and it is not a good starter (but not terrible with only C Retreat Cost).

Further, Tapu Lele GXs can easily become high priority, 2-prize targets mid-to late game given their relatively "low" HP. So, should you decide to run 2+ Tapu Lele GXs, also consider running a Parallel City to remove unwanted/unneeded Pokémon (e.g., Tapu Lele GX(s)) from your bench.

Lastly, Rescue Stretcher can be used to recover a discarded Tapu Lele GX for reuse immediately. So, I'd suggest only running 2 at most (assuming this count also supports your deck strategy and play style).

optimal_max

Aspiring Trainer
I run 2 with rescue stretcher in most decks, as I don't want Lele to start in most situations.

Some decks can run more and benefit without the drawback of starting first. For instance, Golisopod is loaded with switches, Guzmas, and float stones so it is easy switch out, and it is nice to have extra supporter fetch power when you need it.

PokeDad924

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, so I caved and picked up a 3rd lele, thinking if it doesn't work, I can get my packs back. Holy consistency, Batman! While I do start with it more, doing so is not a dire situation. Having that third one in there is nice when one gets prized. It also helps in the clutch late game when I get N'd down and wind up with it or an ultra ball, or I need that last Guzma to bring up a damaged 'mon to finish out the match. I really like what it does for me.

JGB146

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪
I caved and got a third one as well, primarily for Drampa/Garb. But then in testing Seagrove and I have been finding that we want an extra copy of whatever we drop for the third Lele more than we want the third Lele. For reference, we run full counts of Sycamore, N, Guzma, Float, Choice, and 2 each of stretcher and blower, along with one of either Hala or Lillie. Something in one of those would have to drop to fit a third Lele, and with Garbotoxin in play, we found that three often leads to having one when you don't really want it.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
It really depends on how many other Pokemon you have. That's how you decide how many is too many. I think you don't need any more than 3

Memory

不安のない挑戦はない
I generally go by the rule of if I have another source of card draw from Pokémon for example Zoroark GX or octillery, I can make do with two, and otherwise I definitely need 3.
I have tried 4 lele lists before and the 4th one just feels superfluous.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
I generally go by the rule of if I have another source of card draw from Pokémon for example Zoroark GX or octillery, I can make do with two, and otherwise I definitely need 3.
True. However, the typical Gardevoir list works best with 3 Lele and another draw Pokemon in it

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
Garbodor lists are the only ones where 4 Leles really help.