'Hoopa and the Clash of Ages' to Air on Cartoon Network in December!

SkyeVictini

Seriously, calm down.
See, this is one of the main reasons I have completely stopped watching the English dub of the anime.

When the first few dub episodes of XY came out I was horrendously disappointed with the changes they made with the background music. The original Japanese episodes have spectacular music from the games that really bring out the emotions of each and every scene. And what does the dub get? Bland, generic background music that is either barely audible or sucks the emotion out of the scene rather than enhancing it. It's sad considering that XY has had a lot of really good moments and character development that were neutered in the dub due to borderline lack of background music. Also, there was the cringe-worthy and repetitive dialogue, but that's another story.

To get to the subject of the movies, I knew I wasn't the only one thinking they were getting stale! They used to have distinct, compelling storylines and conflicts and now it seems to be the same story every time soaked with the same old cliches (such as the Pokemon in question getting separated from its group/home, forests degenerating and wild Pokemon running away, bland antagonists, Ash explaining the power of friendship, etc.) just with different Pokemon. I barely remember anything about the Diancie movie other than the intro battle, nothing really stood out. :( I mean, are they afraid of frightening or confusing the new generation of kids and they feel the need to sugarcoat and simplify everything to a 2nd grade level?

I can go on and on about how TPCi is ruining a decent anime series, almost like they're imitating 4Kids. (Even though 4Kids did a pretty good job with the Pokemon dub sans the weird censoring of the Japanese stuff.) Hmmmm...

Last edited:

markymark

Aspiring Trainer
the movie was really good, it had some depth too, unlike the past 4 movies. I was also excited to watch it because I heard the Japanese sound track. but the English one is so cringy worthy!

Anyway don't let it stop you from watching the movie, (especially is you were disappointed in the past couple movies) it has a good plot and nice animation. other than the English music it a little rushed but really good

Ryu Taylor

Loyal Friend to the English Dub
I don't believe music replacement can break a dub. I even have a soft spot for Ed Goldfarb's rescoring of the show. Of course, I think he was always better with the show than for the movies. The dub score for the Diancie movie was so-so, and I have yet to experience this new one, so I can't fully weigh in on it yet.

This was a good read. It's nice to get testimony from someone experienced in film.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Of course the flipside is relying on music to set the tone of a scene often indicates a lack of substance in the scene itself, it's better for something to be inferred organically, perfectly viable in animation, without needing (as in depending on) multiple layers of "this is what this scene is about"

I don't watch the Japanese stuff so I can't compare in that sense, I'm merely talking from a theoretical standpoint.

It was however a less than captiating film, the anime is pretty decent when it wants to be but Pokemon films in general do suck. Legendaries often have terrible voice acting and should probably just not speak English (like in the anime) and the plots are generally very laboured. a too-hollow concept that would at most be a 2-part episode. Hoopa was sadly no exception, in fact it was a standout example of boring.