XY Help With Choosing a Starter: Analysis of the X and Y Starters

Rune Yagami

Aspiring Trainer
Thetwiggy13 said:
Well keep in mind that in the game itself, any combination of Pokemon can be successful. This shouldn't deter you from using one combination over another. I'm personally choosing Chesnaught because its stats are very nicely put (kind of like a faster, albeit slightly weaker, Torterra). Since there are a variety of nice fire-types in the game (wow, I can't believe I'm saying that!), I've avoided Fennekin. I also like Clawitzer, so I'm not using Greninja.

Also, it can't just be the immunities to types. Remember that Venusaur can't be poisoned, Fire-types can't be burned, and Grass-types are immune to powder moves. Also, defensiveness should take base stats in effect. It's hard to label a frail Pokemon as defensive just because of a few resistances.

My point is that while strategic pairs are great, remember that in-game is not as hard as competitive. I've even used a Delcatty to success. Base it on your favorites; looks, stats, typing, power. Take in anything that may make you change your mind about something. Whatever you feel. I like a diversity in my party, so I'm using the grass-type starter.

I did it only using typing mostly because the math took less time and I did this while I was supposed to be listening to my rhetoric professor. If you want to do a score based on all of that, feel free.

s_gmusic

Formerly known as Sacred_Guyver
I can understand where some of the conversion in this thread is coming from, but I'll still choose Fennekin/Charmander on my copy of pkmnY. I'll have friends I can trade with for the other starters (one of the benefits to running a game store).

lifeseeker128

Aspiring Trainer
@Rune Yagami

I just have a few questions: How do you derive your numbers of Pokemon weak/resistant to STABs? Any formulas to make it easier for anyone to calculate for any type combo, or did you just count all the Pokemon? Do you have a spreadsheet for calculating the raw weakness/resistance values? Is your list of Pokemon universal or regional (Kalos only)? How would you describe the logic behind your values? Example: The # of Pokemon weak should be # of Pokemon weak to either Pokemon's STABs while not neutral or resistant to both.

If you'd reply in terms of formula, that would be fine. I'm a computer science major and think I could figure it out.

Buizel

Drop the wubs!
I always normally stick with the Water types no matter what it's features are, just from past experience they always do me good! In X I decided to go with Froakie and I chose Charmander as my Kanto starter mainly due to the fact that Charizard X looked amazing. As in terms of just play-ability I am not sure if it was just how I was playing but the game was surprisingly difficult even with a Water starter. (normally they end up being tanks) Did anyone else have at least some trouble getting through the game or was it just me?

Rune Yagami

Aspiring Trainer
lifeseeker128 said:
@Rune Yagami

I just have a few questions: How do you derive your numbers of Pokemon weak/resistant to STABs? Any formulas to make it easier for anyone to calculate for any type combo, or did you just count all the Pokemon? Do you have a spreadsheet for calculating the raw weakness/resistance values? Is your list of Pokemon universal or regional (Kalos only)? How would you describe the logic behind your values? Example: The # of Pokemon weak should be # of Pokemon weak to either Pokemon's STABs while not neutral or resistant to both.

If you'd reply in terms of formula, that would be fine. I'm a computer science major and think I could figure it out.

I used this coverage calculator. For example for Delphox I entered Fire and Psychic and ran the calc. And for Greninja/Charizard I entered Fire, Flying, Water, and Dark.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
WanderingWolf said:
Oh wonderful. Good thing I was going to pick Chesnaught and Blastoise. Nice to know that they come in last, and Blastoise is horrible. Well, there's always next generation.

Mega Blastoise is actually quite good.

FoxFire

Fox Pokemon Rule!
Vulpix and Zorua and their evolutions were some of my favorite Gen 1-5 Pokemon; there was simply no way I wasn't picking Fennekin for my starter. I think foxes are cool, and I am a furry, so it was more or less a given. Took Bulbasaur as the Kanto starter, mostly to use its powder moves for capturing along the way.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Conzipe said:
Greninja has STAB on everything with protean though.

Yes, but it also means it can be weak to any number of moves. If you use Ice Beam, it then ends up sucking against Fire Types.

FoxFire

Fox Pokemon Rule!
Blob55 said:
Conzipe said:
Greninja has STAB on everything with protean though.

Yes, but it also means it can be weak to any number of moves. If you use Ice Beam, it then ends up sucking against Fire Types.

Also means it could be resistant or immune to any number of moves, too.

Rune Yagami

Aspiring Trainer
Sheriff_K said:
I really wish I could use Greninja AND Chesnaught...

Chesnaught's one move Shell Armor, or whatever, is AWESOME! It's like Protect, but better... :3

Pick Chespin as your starter and you will get a Froakie in a trade later.