• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Groudon Box (HGSS-On)

DawnOfXatu

XXXatu
Groudon Box
Pokemon:
x2 Groudon EX 54-DEX
x2 Terrakion 73-NV
x3 Yanmega Prime 98-TM
x4 Yanma 84-TM
x1 Xatu 11-UL
x1 Natu 55-UL
x1 Plusle 39-DEX
x1 Minun 40-DEX
x1 Zekrom 47-BW
(16)
Energy:
x3 Rescue Energy
x3 Prism Energy
x6 Fighting Energy
(12)
Trainers:
x4 Pokemon Collector
x4 Professor Juniper
x3 EXP. Share
x3 Junk Arm
x3 Lost Remover
x3 Pokemon Catcher
x3 Copycat
x2 Pokemon Communication
x2 Judge
x2 N
x2 Switch
x1 Twins
(32)

Strategy: This deck is focused around Groudon, and his anti-metagame nature. Countering Zeels.dec and Dark.dec, Groudon is a fantastic card. However Groudon does have difficult matchups against Mewtwo oriented decks and Empoleon based decks. In order to remedy these two issues I included a couple of cards to counter each deck, which, coupled with the alteration of my playstyle, should give me the advantage over both decks.

When dealing with Mewtwo, I decided to run a heavy line of Lost Remover to nullify any Double Colorless Energy, which makes the matchup between Mewtwo and Groudon about even. If the Mewtwo manages to grab the first prize, then hopefully a benched Terrakion will be powered up (with EXP Share that isn't too difficult) and I can grab the revenge KO. Yanmega also gives Mewtwo headaches, as the Mewtwo would have to have six energy attached to knock out Yanmega. If all else fails, a well timed Xatu wouldn't have much trouble knocking out a Mewtwo (either five energy attached to the Mewtwo or four energy and a ten damage spread from Groudon) Xatu acts as a balance if my opponent trys to build up a second Mewtwo on the bench, keeping the prize trade slightly in my favor.

Dealing with Empoleon required more of an alteration to my playstyle than changes to my decklist. I am not even sure if Empoleon is going to be a widely played deck, but if it is, then Groudon would have trouble with it. Empoleon may even emerge as a counter to Groudon if it becomes widely popular. If I am to face an Empoleon deck, I'd have to be sure to keep Groudon off my playfield, as well as keep my bench low enough that my other Pokemon wouldn't be knocked out easily. Focusing on Yanmega, while keeping a low bench would be the best way to win out, as Yanmega can knock out Empoleon in two hits. Empoleon can knock out Yanmega in two hits as well (one if I fill my bench too much) but it is easier to stream energyless Stage One Pokemon than it is to stream multiple Stage Two Pokemon with a single energy requirement. Zekrom was added as a safety net, as getting two energy on a Zekrom would spell doom for an Empoleon, which could break their momentum.

Now on to a regular battle. Hopefully I start with either a Groudon or a Yanma, preferably a Yanma as it keeps my options open for different actions on my first turn (which is why I included four Yanma). If I start with a Groudon, then I attach and pass. If I start Yanma, then I would search for whatever would be best in the situation, normally Groudon. However I also included Plusle and Minun as an option for an explosive setup, which can be searched by just a Pokemon Collector. Minun can also be used in a pinch for extra spreading.

By my second turn, I should be attacking (unless I opted for the Plusle and Minun option, in which case I would continue to setup, or move out a Yanmega). Groudon would attack and spread for a couple of turns, and then move on to attacking for big damage. Yanmega could hit the big targets for forty damage, or swing for seventy against the active, whichever I prefer. Eventually I will have placed enough damage across my opponent's board, and I could start taking prizes with Groudon. EXP Share provides a way to chain multiple Groudon, or set up a revenge KO with Terrakion.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Why not just pair Groudon EX with Darkrai EX seeing as it's going to win or at least make topcut at Battle Roads this weekend putting ZekEels off the radar while still competing against CMT in the top cut anyway. Dark Explorers gets released last week and I'm horribly unprepared for all the Darkrai/Groudon decks at BR's this weekend.

You run Yanmega to counter Terrakion, not bad but Darkrai would be a better partner since it can one shot Eelektrik's with Night Spear and Catcher. I'm just mad that I'm playing a deck that's going to cause me to get a 2-3 Record at Battle Roads. You don't really need to worry about Empoleon/Terrakion, the deck is severely overhyped.

Izan

May Be More Crazy Than He Appears
You have no way to use Xatu in this deck. It requires Psychic, and since its a stage 1 Prism Energy won't work on it. You'd have to substitute Prism Energy for Rainbow Energy.