Discussion Glaceon gx paired with tapu fini gx

Ianmar021214

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone i will be investing in a tournament deck pretty soon and i was thinking do i go with a meta deck or will i go a bit outside the box. So i came up with a tapu fini gx working with glaceon gx. Playing a disruption deck while poking for 30 with tapu fini gx switching into glaceon gx to block my opponents gx abilities as glaceon only works in the active position. Will this be viable in the new meta or would the damage output be to low?

Damage output seems a bit low (NB it's 20, not 30), you would need to boost that with tools and trainers. You will probably be attaching an energy to Eevee in the first turn anyway in order to evolve immediately. So why not just attack with her too?

Other options for a hit and run could include
Alolan Sandslash - 50 for [W][C][C] (plus now you have draw power)
Manaphy hits 30 for [W][W]
Blastoise EX hits 30 for [C][C] & opponent must switch also.

There are a few non-water options you could look at too, but each looks to make the deck a little clunky due to mixing energy requirements. Strafe Yveltal or Umbreon-GX are first to mind.

I expect most people will not play Glaceon in this style though, simply because there is no card in Standard that really fits what you are trying to do. More likely you will see it paired with Alolan Ninetales (both), or Zoroark, or just in a general water toolbox type deck.

Damage Output is waaaay to low. Glaceon does good damage on it's own. 90 or 120 with Choice is plenty. Plus sniping to the bench and a pretty good ability.
You should probably pair it with something. I would recommend either Zoroark, or , which is gonna be my choice: Alolan Ninetales. With that you get more disruption options with the regular 9 Tales. Plus Glaceons attack helps wonders in getting "1hko's" with 9Tales GX. (9tales does 160 or 190 with Choice Band. So so you can keep Glaceon in front as long as it survives / you need it too and then clean the board with Ninetales because most Threats in current meta have 200 or 210 HP

You can stay with you poke tactic. But i don't think it will help much. Glaceons Ability is pretty disruptive. But mostly for preventing your Opponnent to use Lele T1 or using Lycanroc and Zoroark. So it's not disruptive enough to justify this kind of Archetype. If you do wanna try (I don't wanna discourage you) i would probably recommend one of the Options stated by Yog. Even if they require more Energy.

I mean it could be a good deck strategy with the right pairing. Gengar-EX into Wobbuffet/Robo Sub was my first deck that won games often. But that hit for 60 +poison in a time where 180hp was the biggest hurdle to get past. I am still very fond of it as a tactic. I might even try this, with an Alolan Sandslash & Mallow engine, at least on the client. Some sort of disruption deck maybe, where you can get the right tool for the job on demand.

I doubt it will fare too well against the Meta decks though, but it ought be fun for a while.

If going the Sandslash route, something not weak to Metal might be useful. Maybe a Blastoise one-of.

Back