Discussion Generation 4 Remakes Around the Corner?

Hackzo23

Nerd? i prefer the term, intellectual badass
So, I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about the possibility of Gen 4 remakes but, I think Gen 4 remakes are just around the corner. And here's why...
(Now some of these points are not my own. I merely expanded upon them from others that I have seen. So if some of them sound familiar, that's probably why.)

1. Even though there really is no trend with remakes, like how firered and leafgreen were in between ruby & sapphire and emerald, while heartgold and soulsilver came out after the diamond, pearl, and platinum. And ORAS came out after X and Y and finished off the generation. There are no trends/rules. So diamond and pearl remakes could come out before "pokemon stars" or after "pokemon stars". Which leads me to my next point.

2. Pokemon stars could very well be the diamond and pearl remakes. First to get rid of the doubt in your heads. Pokemon stars sounds like a singular game, not a pair. But go back to April/May of last year with "pokemon rainbow". Sounds singular but it ended up being a code name for Sun and Moon. Now if you remember that, you will know code name rainbow wasn't random. Rainbow had to do with Hawaii which the region was based on, along with other minor elements throughout the game. So going by that "stars" was chosen on purpose too. And I feel "stars" relates more to diamond and pearl than it does to sun and moon. This is because Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina are the pokemon that represent everything in the universe. So I feel stars fits appropriately as stars are very abundant in the universe being billions of trillions of them. And just like ORAS, I bet they will have a couple cut scenes of the character going into space. Sun and moon dont seem to fit with "stars" based on the simple fact that the sun is a star so it feels redundant. At least to me.

3. No remake has been on the same console. firered/leafgreen were on the gameboy advance. heart gold/soulsilver were on the nintendo ds. And ORAS was on the 3DS. This leads back to my previous point where it is rumored/more or less confirmed that "pokemon stars" will be on the nintendo switch. Which makes sense as nintendo switch is portable and game freak/nintendo has stated in the past that main pokemon games will only be on portable systems. Another reason why this will be, Sun and moon were pushing the limits of the 3DS. Even the newer ones but especially the older ones. My game lagged more than a few times. So it makes sense to move on to a newer system.

4. There have been a few years throughout all of pokemon where we didn't get a main series game. But a pattern I have noticed is remakes are always a year after the main series game. i.e. ruby/sapphire 2003-firered/leafgreen 2004. platinum 2009-heartgold/soulsilver 2010. X/Y 2013-ORAS 2014. So if Gen 4 remakes are the next game and its not a sun and moon sequel then they will be this year.

5. If you look at the sales of Gen 3 vs Gen 4, Gen 4 did better by around 3 million copies. So popularity of the game isn't something they dont have to worry about.

6. One thing Ive heard is it's too soon for a remake. Not that we won't get them but it will happen in 2019/2020. Which is way far off if you ask me. Gen 1 remakes where 6 years apart. Gen 2 was 10 years apart. and Gen 3 was 11 years apart. Now diamond and pearl was released on April 22, 2007. Since its mid January at the time of writing this and we have no news about it (unless the nintendo switch announcement mentions it). I imagine it will be towards end of 2017 like sun and moon and ORAS. which will put it at about 10.5 years apart from the originals. Sitting nicely in the goldilock zone of remakes.

7. Lastly, one thing I've heard more than a few times as an argument against the remakes is that there is no reason for them as all the pokemon in diamond and pearl can be transferred up to sun and moon. Now yes, this is true. But I remember a few years ago someone on this same site along with many others made the same argument for Gen 3 remakes. As everything in Gen 3 could be transferred up to X and Y. And as we all know Gen 3 remakes happened. So logically you can't use that as an argument against Gen 4 remakes.

My problem is that so far, they have never introduced a new console with a remake. It was always a new game. Game boy advance started with Ruby & Sapphire, the DS started with Diamond & Pearl, and the 3DS started with X & Y.

The point is, they love to start things fresh. So, I think it's more likely that they are aiming for something new and exiting to explore in the new console , and not "just" a remake.

Last edited:
I agree its always been that way. But that one thing against it vs. all this evidence for it?
Plus we all know gamefreak/nintendo likes to change things out of the normal.
i.e.
1.) black and white getting direct sequels in black 2 and white 2, instead of a normal third version.
2.) X and Y not getting a third version and skipping to the next generation.
3.) each generation getting their own console then they change it to where gen 4 and 5 shared the nintendo DS. And gen 6 and 7 shared the 3DS.

My point is, just cause something is out of order doesn't mean it won't happen. I just gave you 3 examples of what they use to do, and now dont cause they didn't want to be repetitive. So maybe they will start the new console with a remake.

Last edited:
I doubt it, for several reasons:

1. The demand for DP remakes is too recent. It takes about 3 years to make a video game, and Game Freak wasn't even aware that people wanted DP remakes until a few months ago. They're probably just starting on DP remakes now and they're not going to be ready anytime soon.
2. Backwards compatibility. Not just that there's only one remake per console, I could easily see DP remakes and BW remakes breaking that pattern since they were both on the same console. But usually by the time a remake comes out, the original game is no longer playable on current generation hardware. This was true for HGSS, ORAS, hell even RBY VC.
3. DP remakes would benefit more from the Switch than the 3DS. Delaying the game until the next console generation gives Game Freak the opportunity to make the games look even better than if they were a 3DS game and add even more to them. Think about it, would you rather have a Sinnoh remake that looks like SM and has 5th, 6th, and 7th gen features or a Sinnoh remake that looks even better than SM and has 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th gen features?

More than likely Game Freak looks at several factors when determining the timing of a remake, backwards compatibility like I mentioned above, how readily available the original is, how much of an audience they have that never got to play the original, and how long it takes for fans of the original to become nostalgic for it. And for DP, I don't think that time is now, but it's definitely coming. 2019/2020 is about right for DP remakes, by then we should be in 8th gen and the games will be far enough removed from the originals that the demand for them will be sky high and the series will have progressed far enough for them to add a lot of interesting features to the games.

I doubt it, for several reasons:

1. The demand for DP remakes is too recent. It takes about 3 years to make a video game, and Game Freak wasn't even aware that people wanted DP remakes until a few months ago. They're probably just starting on DP remakes now and they're not going to be ready anytime soon.

Thats not really true, I remember hearing talk back when ORAS came out about diamond and pearl remakes. Even before ORAS came out I remember people talking about D/P remakes how they would rather have that than R/S remakes. I seen it on youtube and even on this websites forums. And I dont know how long it takes to make a video game, but I imagine making a console takes just as long, perhaps longer. And since the switch is just about to come out, I imagine they started working alongside the switch almost right away to make the game compatible. Plus at this point with 3 remakes under their belt and each remake selling pretty well, I'm sure they weren't waiting to hear an outcry from us saying we want D/P remakes. They knew it already with D/P sales being more than R/S.

2. Backwards compatibility. Not just that there's only one remake per console, I could easily see DP remakes and BW remakes breaking that pattern since they were both on the same console. But usually by the time a remake comes out, the original game is no longer playable on current generation hardware. This was true for HGSS, ORAS, hell even RBY VC.

This sounds just like the arguments I mentioned above. How people said R/S remakes wouldn't happen because we needed firedred and leafgreen and HGSS, because we couldn't transfer pokemon from their originals to the new games. But with R/S we could so there was no way we would get a remake for them. Not saying you said that but I'm sure you've heard that argument maybe. But once Game Freak did give us R/S remakes they pretty much broke the mold. They saw we wanted remakes so they gave the fans what they wanted. And like I said in my previous point remakes have become a part of pokemon. It was expected that we wanted a D/P remake.

3. DP remakes would benefit more from the Switch than the 3DS. Delaying the game until the next console generation gives Game Freak the opportunity to make the games look even better than if they were a 3DS game and add even more to them. Think about it, would you rather have a Sinnoh remake that looks like SM and has 5th, 6th, and 7th gen features or a Sinnoh remake that looks even better than SM and has 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th gen features?

Well in my first post, I make the point that perhaps pokemon stars is code for D/P remakes and that it would be on the switch. So I guess I dont know why you assume I thought it would be on the 3DS. Because I would much rather it be on the switch then on the 3DS.

More than likely Game Freak looks at several factors when determining the timing of a remake, backwards compatibility like I mentioned above, how readily available the original is, how much of an audience they have that never got to play the original, and how long it takes for fans of the original to become nostalgic for it. And for DP, I don't think that time is now, but it's definitely coming. 2019/2020 is about right for DP remakes, by then we should be in 8th gen and the games will be far enough removed from the originals that the demand for them will be sky high and the series will have progressed far enough for them to add a lot of interesting features to the games.

Not saying you're wrong that it may came out in 2019/2020, it may very well. Just some of your points are relying on patterns that Game Freak has done in the past, and as I previously stated they have had many patterns which they have broke.
You think its too soon?
Its been 10 years since D/P came out. there was only a 6 year gap between R/B and their remakes. Plus, its the 10 year anniversary, which makes it more likely. Which I admit is a bad point since the only remake to be released on their 10 year was HGSS.
For them being far enough from the originals?
R/B remakes and G/S remakes were only 2 gens apart. R/S were 3 gens. right now D/P is 3 gens. Its further apart than most remakes.

And just to wrap up here, I have a pretty good feeling that they are right around the corner. Or at least the next games. Whether that be in the fall, next spring, or another 2 year gap like between ORAS and S/M. And heres why. Look at the XY pokedex. You'll notice most gen 3 pokemon are missing compared to the amount of pokemon from other gens in the game. Next thing you know we get ORAS. They made it that way cause they were releasing a gen 3 game and wanted you to play it so they took out a lot of gen 3 pokemon so the only way you could get them apart from transferring them all the way up from the previous generations, was to buy ORAS. Now take a look at S/M. You'll notice a similar pattern with the pokedex compared to XY as most gen 4 pokemon are gone. Again the only way you can get them right now is to transfer them up from previous games. Logic would suggest a similar pattern and the next thing coming is D/P remakes.

Last edited:
I hope so. If I'm being honest, S/M was a giant disappointment.
Same actually. I thought it was fun while I was playing it, but once I was done I had no motivation to keep playing after the main story line apart from getting the legendaries/Ultra Beasts. Unlike previous games where I could keep playing them. Not much of an after story in these games.

Thats not really true, I remember hearing talk back when ORAS came out about diamond and pearl remakes. Even before ORAS came out I remember people talking about D/P remakes how they would rather have that than R/S remakes. I seen it on youtube and even on this websites forums. And I dont know how long it takes to make a video game, but I imagine making a console takes just as long, perhaps longer. And since the switch is just about to come out, I imagine they started working alongside the switch almost right away to make the game compatible. Plus at this point with 3 remakes under their belt and each remake selling pretty well, I'm sure they weren't waiting to hear an outcry from us saying we want D/P remakes. They knew it already with D/P sales being more than R/S.

Maybe a handful of people did, but I haven't really heard a lot of people ask for DP remakes until about the last year or even the last few months. Also, keep in mind that whoever you talk to on the internet is usually a vocal minority, you might hear a lot about wanting this or that game but there's not enough people wanting it for it to really sell well. That's not to say that it won't sell well, I expect it will too, just don't expect DP remakes to come soon just because of a handful of people asking for one over the internet. It takes MUCH more than that to sell a game.

This sounds just like the arguments I mentioned above. How people said R/S remakes wouldn't happen because we needed firedred and leafgreen and HGSS, because we couldn't transfer pokemon from their originals to the new games. But with R/S we could so there was no way we would get a remake for them. Not saying you said that but I'm sure you've heard that argument maybe. But once Game Freak did give us R/S remakes they pretty much broke the mold. They saw we wanted remakes so they gave the fans what they wanted. And like I said in my previous point remakes have become a part of pokemon. It was expected that we wanted a D/P remake.

It's not just about transferring though, it's about the game aging enough for there to be a demand. And factors like hardware releases and backwards compatibility are major factors in that.

Well in my first post, I make the point that perhaps pokemon stars is code for D/P remakes and that it would be on the switch. So I guess I dont know why you assume I thought it would be on the 3DS. Because I would much rather it be on the switch then on the 3DS.

Stars is explicitly stated to be a third version to SM in the rumors that mention it, so either you or the rumors have to be wrong.

Not saying you're wrong that it may came out in 2019/2020, it may very well. Just some of your points are relying on patterns that Game Freak has done in the past, and as I previously stated they have had many patterns which they have broke.
You think its too soon?
Its been 10 years since D/P came out. there was only a 6 year gap between R/B and their remakes. Plus, its the 10 year anniversary, which makes it more likely. Which I admit is a bad point since the only remake to be released on their 10 year was HGSS.
For them being far enough from the originals?
R/B remakes and G/S remakes were only 2 gens apart. R/S were 3 gens. right now D/P is 3 gens. Its further apart than most remakes.

Aren't you relying on patterns too though? You're expecting DP remakes to come out in the same timeframe as the others.

And just to wrap up here, I have a pretty good feeling that they are right around the corner. Or at least the next games. Whether that be in the fall, next spring, or another 2 year gap like between ORAS and S/M. And heres why. Look at the XY pokedex. You'll notice most gen 3 pokemon are missing compared to the amount of pokemon from other gens in the game. Next thing you know we get ORAS. They made it that way cause they were releasing a gen 3 game and wanted you to play it so they took out a lot of gen 3 pokemon so the only way you could get them apart from transferring them all the way up from the previous generations, was to buy ORAS. Now take a look at S/M. You'll notice a similar pattern with the pokedex compared to XY as most gen 4 pokemon are gone. Again the only way you can get them right now is to transfer them up from previous games. Logic would suggest a similar pattern and the next thing coming is D/P remakes.

Well let's look at the Pokedex. Here are all of the Pokemon that are unavailable in SM divided by gen:

1st gen- 60 (39.7% of all 1st gen Pokemon)
2nd gen- 54 (54.0% of all 2nd gen Pokemon)
3rd gen- 94 (69.6% of all 3rd gen Pokemon)
4th gen- 67 (62.6% of all 4th gen Pokemon)
5th gen- 89 (57.1% of all 5th gen Pokemon)
6th gen- 55 (76.4% of all 6th gen Pokemon)

So no, 4th gen don't comprise the majority of Pokemon missing.

Also, even if 4th gen were the majority of Pokemon missing, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be getting DP remakes to fill them. They can include them in regional dexes or post game in other regions. There's any number of ways they could choose to distribute the remaining Pokemon.

Maybe a handful of people did, but I haven't really heard a lot of people ask for DP remakes until about the last year or even the last few months. Also, keep in mind that whoever you talk to on the internet is usually a vocal minority, you might hear a lot about wanting this or that game but there's not enough people wanting it for it to really sell well. That's not to say that it won't sell well, I expect it will too, just don't expect DP remakes to come soon just because of a handful of people asking for one over the internet. It takes MUCH more than that to sell a game.

Just because you didn't hear much about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I listen to a lot of poketubers. And I've been hearing it every now and then for quite awhile now. Never said I talked to anyone on the internet, just said I seen it on youtube and forums. And of course, almost everything on the internet is the minority. meaning you saying remakes won't happen probably means you're in the minority as well.

It's not just about transferring though, it's about the game aging enough for there to be a demand. And factors like hardware releases and backwards compatibility are major factors in that.

In your point 2 you only mentioned transferring so thats all I mentioned. The game has aged. Its been almost 10 years. Like I said previously, R/B only aged 6 years before they received a remake. so saying they need more time to age is based off of nothing.

Stars is explicitly stated to be a third version to SM in the rumors that mention it, so either you or the rumors have to be wrong.

Apparently you missed my point. YOU, assumed that I wanted it on the 3DS, where I actually said the contrary and that I wanted it on the switch. and yeah, its stated to be a S/M third version in the RUMORS. You can't take them as fact. Until proven otherwise, they dont hold any weight. And obviously the rumors or I have to be wrong.

Aren't you relying on patterns too though? You're expecting DP remakes to come out in the same timeframe as the others.

That isn't a pattern though. You have one remake that came out 6 years after the originals. Another that came out 10 years after, and another that came out 11 years after. The only pattern in that is the number are ascending. So logically the only way for me to keep the pattern would be for me to say the remakes are coming out 12 years+ after the originals. Saying they come out after 10 years after the originals would actually break the pattern. In case you dont know what I mean by this pattern watch veritasiums video on it.

Plus you are relying on patterns so saying that I can't makes you a hypocrite. And before you say I'm a hypocrite I never said you couldn't use patterns. Im only implying that based on the past of game freak breaking their patterns you can't rely on them. And that you need to have an open mind.

Well let's look at the Pokedex. Here are all of the Pokemon that are unavailable in SM divided by gen:

1st gen- 60 (39.7% of all 1st gen Pokemon)
2nd gen- 54 (54.0% of all 2nd gen Pokemon)
3rd gen- 94 (69.6% of all 3rd gen Pokemon)
4th gen- 67 (62.6% of all 4th gen Pokemon)
5th gen- 89 (57.1% of all 5th gen Pokemon)
6th gen- 55 (76.4% of all 6th gen Pokemon)

So no, 4th gen don't comprise the majority of Pokemon missing.

Also, even if 4th gen were the majority of Pokemon missing, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be getting DP remakes to fill them. They can include them in regional dexes or post game in other regions. There's any number of ways they could choose to distribute the remaining Pokemon.

Now for the main reason I replied to this.

First, I double checked your math for gen 4 only to find out it was way off.
So I went through the entire S/M pokedex and counted every gen 4 pokemon and counted 25.
Now there are 106 pokemon in the gen 4 pokedex so 106-25=81. So to figure this out we do 100/106=0.943396.
Which means every pokemon in the gen 4 pokedex is 0.943396% of the dex. Since 81 are missing from S/M. 81x0.943396=76.42%.
So 76.42% of generation 4 pokemon is missing from S/M. far more than your "supposed" 62.6%.
This proves me right.
But of course since you got gen 4 wrong you probably got the rest of the generations wrong as well.
If I were you I would double check.
And before you say anything, I didn't count the island scan pokemon because they are not part of the pokedex. And they are only available post game. Effectively making them not a part of the S/M pokedex.
That would be like saying the hoenn starters are apart of the HGSS pokedex because you get them as a gift post game.

The only hints we have had for the Gen IV remakes is that Munchlax was given out (just like Torchic was for X and Y), and that just like X and Y regarding Hoenn Pokémon (also referenced in Gen V through all Gen III Pokémon receiving brand new sprites), Sun and Moon has the fewest Sinnoh Pokémon.

I'm pretty sure I read or heard somewhere that Pokemon Company hates to be predictable and like to switch things up. I do hear about the D/P remake semi-frequently, but not because people specifically want one, but because everyone simply expects one based on the trend of remakes existing consecutively so far. Perhaps there will be one in time, or maybe not. Maybe Pokemon Company will decide to move on to a much more ambitious project that renders a potential D/P remake redundant or unnecessary. Who knows?

As far as opinions go, I really hope they do that rather than make a D/P remake as I am not particularly nostalgic over D/P like I am/was for the older games. A remake would just seem tedious compared to a brand new story/content.

As far as opinions go, I really hope they do that rather than make a D/P remake as I am not particularly nostalgic over D/P like I am/was for the older games. A remake would just seem tedious compared to a brand new story/content.
I love DPPt, but I'd rather they do what I was hoping would happen with RSE, which is set the game in the same region, use approximately the same Pokémon lineup, but set the game up as a chronological sequel - i.e. give us Diamond 2 and Pearl 2, not TemporalDiamond and SpatialPeal. I really wanted an R2S2 instead of an ORAS because I thought the Gen III Pokémon are a cool bunch, and Hoenn could do well in a 3D upgrade, but in and of itself RS's storyline is a bit of a mess. Instead, we obviously got the same story, a little bit fixed up, and my wish for a sequel only somewhat satisfied by the Delta Episode.

Unfortunately, they're very unlikely to create a sequel to 10+ year old games that newer fans are likely to be entirely unfamiliar with. It's a remake or bust, due to this fact.

Just because you didn't hear much about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I listen to a lot of poketubers. And I've been hearing it every now and then for quite awhile now. Never said I talked to anyone on the internet, just said I seen it on youtube and forums. And of course, almost everything on the internet is the minority. meaning you saying remakes won't happen probably means you're in the minority as well.

Poketubers are not evidence of a remake either. They're still only a handful of people in a sea of tens of millions of Pokemon fans, that in and of itself doesn't prove anything. What you need to be looking at is comments, not videos, and the more generalized the better. If you see a video/article about DP remakes, that may not say anything because even for a video discussing the possibility of DP remakes, the only people even watching the video are going to be interested in the topic. Not necessarily interested in DP remakes, but interested in discussing whether or not they're a possibility.

What you want to look for really, is a more generalized website or Youtuber. Go somewhere like IGN or Gamexplain, look at a general topic such as what games they want to see for the Switch or what remake they want to see. If a lot of them say DP remakes, then that's more of an indication that there's enough demand. Until about the last couple of months, I never saw a lot of comments like that on those types of sites.

In your point 2 you only mentioned transferring so thats all I mentioned. The game has aged. Its been almost 10 years. Like I said previously, R/B only aged 6 years before they received a remake. so saying they need more time to age is based off of nothing.

It's not just about time though, you can have a game that's 20 years old and if it still stands out as a great game as it was 20 years ago, there's really no need for an update. In this day and age especially, you have services like VC where you can just port the game to the current system and be done with it. Remakes usually happen because the game is outdated enough to need or benefit from an update and/or because they were popular enough that a lot of people would buy them all over again. DP isn't quite there on either of those yet, the game still stands out as one of the best in the series and the series hasn't really progressed enough for it to feel outdated, and as I said above, the demand is only just starting to pick up. So now isn't quite the best time, once 8th gen comes out and introduces some more new features then it'll be more likely that DP will be outdated enough for a remake.

That isn't a pattern though. You have one remake that came out 6 years after the originals. Another that came out 10 years after, and another that came out 11 years after. The only pattern in that is the number are ascending. So logically the only way for me to keep the pattern would be for me to say the remakes are coming out 12 years+ after the originals. Saying they come out after 10 years after the originals would actually break the pattern. In case you dont know what I mean by this pattern watch veritasiums video on it.

Plus you are relying on patterns so saying that I can't makes you a hypocrite. And before you say I'm a hypocrite I never said you couldn't use patterns. Im only implying that based on the past of game freak breaking their patterns you can't rely on them. And that you need to have an open mind.

I never said that I can't or wasn't relying on patterns. What I'm saying is that you need something stronger than patterns to back your opinion up. I'm not just relying on them skipping generations, I'm analyzing WHY they're sticking to that pattern and using business logic to predict which patterns they might stick to and which they might break.

Now for the main reason I replied to this.

First, I double checked your math for gen 4 only to find out it was way off.
So I went through the entire S/M pokedex and counted every gen 4 pokemon and counted 25.
Now there are 106 pokemon in the gen 4 pokedex so 106-25=81. So to figure this out we do 100/106=0.943396.
Which means every pokemon in the gen 4 pokedex is 0.943396% of the dex. Since 81 are missing from S/M. 81x0.943396=76.42%.
So 76.42% of generation 4 pokemon is missing from S/M. far more than your "supposed" 62.6%.
This proves me right.
But of course since you got gen 4 wrong you probably got the rest of the generations wrong as well.
If I were you I would double check.
And before you say anything, I didn't count the island scan pokemon because they are not part of the pokedex. And they are only available post game. Effectively making them not a part of the S/M pokedex.
That would be like saying the hoenn starters are apart of the HGSS pokedex because you get them as a gift post game.

Thing is though, since the concept of regional dexes have started, they've NEVER included all National Dex Pokemon in a regional dex each generation. That's just not feasible, there's too many Pokemon now for them to do that. So it doesn't matter if they're not in the Alola Dex, it matters whether or not they're in the generation altogether. In most cases, you're not going to see every 4th gen Pokemon in a regional dex, the only instance where that is true is when there's a Sinnoh game that generation. So the dex makeup doesn't really prove anything.

I love DPPt, but I'd rather they do what I was hoping would happen with RSE, which is set the game in the same region, use approximately the same Pokémon lineup, but set the game up as a chronological sequel - i.e. give us Diamond 2 and Pearl 2, not TemporalDiamond and SpatialPeal. I really wanted an R2S2 instead of an ORAS because I thought the Gen III Pokémon are a cool bunch, and Hoenn could do well in a 3D upgrade, but in and of itself RS's storyline is a bit of a mess. Instead, we obviously got the same story, a little bit fixed up, and my wish for a sequel only somewhat satisfied by the Delta Episode.

Unfortunately, they're very unlikely to create a sequel to 10+ year old games that newer fans are likely to be entirely unfamiliar with. It's a remake or bust, due to this fact.

I do feel like we need more sequels, but I think RS could've benefited more from sequels than DP. In Hoenn's case, the region was shown to be developing with construction projects being implemented such as Rusturf Tunnel and the S.S. Tidal, and you could show how the region has developed because of them, maybe cities like Rustboro have grown because it's now more accessible from central Hoenn for instance? Additionally, Groudon and Kyogre's awakening could've caused major climate and environmental changes in Hoenn and drawn in new species of Pokemon (which in fact, we already saw in Hoenn's post game) and that could justify an updated Hoenn Dex. I can't really see much that they could do with a timeskip in DP. I can't find any signs of the region going through some major change or development or any potential development for the region aside from maybe more areas to the south, and I don't really think the Sinnoh Dex needs an update the same way Hoenn does (if they're using Platinum's Sinnoh Dex, it's near perfect IMO aside from needing a few more Dragons). Anything they could do storyline or gameplay wise to Sinnoh seems like it could be done just as easily with a retcon as it could with a timeskip, so I don't think a sequel is even necessary.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Ask yourself why it is you want a remake of an outdated game instead of a new, refined game by the same developers that likely involves the same basic story points and gameplay.

The flaw is not in your arguments, its in how all fans of this series* have been duped into thinking that a remake is necessary, or even progressive.

With a new console on the horizon that is portable but also has enough processing power to build multiple regions and support many, many features, as well as regular internet distribution and online trading, there is now no way for Gamefreak, TPCi, Nintendo, or anyone else to justify a single region, or a small dex, or no clothing customization, or anything else.

So consider what a DP remake would add to an already dangerously stagnant series before fighting so viciously for one.

*I'd knock down a brick wall with my grandchildren if there was a new game on the other side, don't get me wrong.

The problem I have with the whole "DP are obviously next in line for getting remade"-subject, is the fact that the Gen-I remakes are now more outdated than the original Gen-IV games. Won't it be odd if we get a new version of games that are more recent than the first remakes themselves? xD

Not that I would want re-remakes of Gen-I, it's just...there has gotta be a point where the whole concept of remakes gets shaken up, because otherwise the franchise will have more remakes than original titles some day.

And the other part that bothers me, is that this what I call "copy-paste remake"-approach feels more and more like wasted potential. I mean, if we are gonna go revisit Sinnoh with all the progress that has been made in features and style... why restrict the adventure to near identical layouts of places, near identical exploration progression and near identical plot (while possibly butchering the third installment, by turning it into a fanservice postgame "episode"), instead of making it an actually new game, with the region still being clearly Sinnoh, but the locations being at least partially re-imagined to make full use of newer graphics (rather than recreated 1:1) and turned into more unique places in ways that simply may not have been possible back in GenIV. Why not have it be a completely new story, with the progression-route turned on its head, and the plot clearly taking place many years after the originals, and have references to the originals everywhere?

Old characters showing up, some gym leaders still being there but clearly aged, others replaced by relatives or a gym somewhere else.. lots of ex-plasma people who have gotten over their mistake and grown up.. some others still fanatics searching for Cyrus... the DP-protagonist showing up as a strong trainer you can battle at some point...stuff like that. It still ponders to the nostalgia-hunger of the originals, while at the same time being new and adding lore rather than just re-telling it.

Sinnoh is my all-time favourite region, but I'll be sad if we get DP-remakes where nothing has changed...well except for everyone pretending that mega evolutions have totally always been a thing, and being handed a Lv30 Heatran around the 3rd gym without even battling it :'DDD

Last edited:
Sinnoh is my all-time favourite region, but I'll be sad if we get DP-remakes where nothing has changed...well except for everyone pretending that mega evolutions have totally always been a thing, and being handed a Lv30 Heatran around the 3rd gym without even battling it :'DDD

To be frank, I really hope we can have a game much sooner rather than later where mega pokemon don't exist anymore. Their novelty wore off for me years ago. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is true for.

Actually, while I was playing Pokemon Sun, I noticed some, well, references to gen 4.

Ask yourself why it is you want a remake of an outdated game instead of a new, refined game by the same developers that likely involves the same basic story points and gameplay.

The flaw is not in your arguments, its in how all fans of this series* have been duped into thinking that a remake is necessary, or even progressive.

With a new console on the horizon that is portable but also has enough processing power to build multiple regions and support many, many features, as well as regular internet distribution and online trading, there is now no way for Gamefreak, TPCi, Nintendo, or anyone else to justify a single region, or a small dex, or no clothing customization, or anything else.

So consider what a DP remake would add to an already dangerously stagnant series before fighting so viciously for one.

*I'd knock down a brick wall with my grandchildren if there was a new game on the other side, don't get me wrong.
Gonna completely disagree with everything you said.

1) A remake gives the company more time to make the next new game better than the last ones, its way easier to remodel an already built world and add a few new features vs making a completely new world and a new story and new pokemon, and new features to progress the game. Remakes are necesarry for pokemon as a game to grow. As we saw Between Gen III and Gen IV where firered and leafgreen were between and rather than pushing a new game they dropped a remake so that Gen IV would be good. And after all that waiting it paid off because Gen IV was really good.

2) The switch doesnt have much more processing power than the new 3ds. Sure it can render nicer games but as we've seen with Zelda the Fps will take a hit when anything explosive goes on. This is the game on the 3DS when battling. Porting pokemon to the switch seems like a good idea, but probably wont happen this year. I, like most pokemon fans will not spend 400$ for a console that doesnt do much more than my 3DS for some Sun and Moon sequel. I will stick with my trusty 3ds that ive had since the 3ds release. Pokemon cannot make the mistake of putting the next game on just the switch. This will increase their sales for the switch im sure, but will not be anywhere close to any of their other games. The game has to be god tier for me to even consider buying a switch. They will have to release whatever the next game is on both consoles to support the move over to the switch as their flagship console. If they release the next pokemon game on the switch too early the game wont do well. They need to let the console have a year or so for people to get it over christmas and other holidays so that people next christmas will have the switch in greater numbers, and the game will do well.

3) One region is all we'll ever see from pokemon, they have shown that the best they can do is one big region. In 7 Generations the only games we had that had 2 regions were from a long time ago, and thats just because they had matching areas of the world. Every game since has had its region far from the next gens regions. Gen VI was in France, and then Gen VII we go all the way on the other side of the world to Hawaii. They will never make another two region game. It would mean either making two games back to back in the same area of the world, and making a game with the current HD with double the size. With all the other stuff that goes into the game it'd be a mess and thats a mess they cant be willing to throw. They need the DP remakes, because whatever the next new game is in the series has to rock the gaming market. Sun and Moon were very disappointing for all the hype that was thrown around in 2016. DP had the second longest story, only beat by BW which had two damn games. This gives them enough to add a little story, and new features to change the DP games. They also cant cheap out on the game if they do a DP remake, everything has to be there, they cant be pulling another ORAS no battle frontier shit. That was unbelievable. The Battle Frontier was the place to get better and kill time back in Gen III, I probably had 100+ hours just on the Battle Frontier when I played emerald. They cannot cheap out like that on the next remake. They need to include everything, and even expand the azure flure and arceus story to make the games worth buying. This is their last chance to keep this series afloat. If they keep cutting corners were just gonna get another SM that was all hype and no show, I finished both games in the weekend I got it. Havent played them since November 20th. Theres almost no point. VGC is dead due to all the garbage rules they changed last year that made timer stalling even easier. They dont even talk about the VGC portion of regionals because the TCG is the only competitive part of pokemon left. DP is feeding off nostalgia, and thats basically all that Nintendo has left of this series. They need to make some big change to the games when it comes to the core game. Sure people love pokemon, but SM was hyped to be some awesome huge world with lots of pokemon and a huge story that would take a while to finish and new trials that would change how we see pokemon. The game was no where close to big world, or long story. There was nothing new, when I played ORAS I felt a difference, I felt nostalgia from my Favourite games. When I played SM I felt nothing, it just felt like the same reused garbage. The reason I fell in love with Gen III and IV was because they were constantly trying new things and the HD was evolving and the story was so damn good. It took like 20-30 hours to figure it all out. Gen IV had so much stuff to in it as well, Lots of Legendaires and post game which was already long, it just always had something to do. XY and SM didnt feel like that to me, sure they were new games and new things to do, but after you finished the 8-10 hour long story that was it, there was nothing else to do.

They need to kill the next game, and they cannot cut corners or else it will just be another game like XY and SM which are some of the worst pokemon games made (Personal opinion).

2) The switch doesnt have much more processing power than the new 3ds. Sure it can render nicer games but as we've seen with Zelda the Fps will take a hit when anything explosive goes on. This is the game on the 3DS when battling. Porting pokemon to the switch seems like a good idea, but probably wont happen this year. I, like most pokemon fans will not spend 400$ for a console that doesnt do much more than my 3DS for some Sun and Moon sequel.
Not sure where you've acquired your information but you are *very* far off the mark. The 3DS absolutely pails in comparison to the Switch. You seem to be unjustly comparing arbitrary features. The 3DS outputs two screens of data, sure, but one is 400x240, the other 320x240, and one of those is always rendering 2D graphics-only. Sun&Moon also only run at 30fps most if not all of the time. (unlike XY) The Switch outputs 720p on its own screen and up to 1920x1080 on an external monitor. That is *twelve times* the amount of pixels than both 3DS screens combined.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the processing power is even remotely in the same ballpark or comparible in any way. The CPU of the 3DS and 2DS is a 268MHz ARM11 2x MPCore & 2x VFPv2 Co-Processor, with a 268 MHz GPU as well.

The Switch CPU is a Tegra X1 T210, which is a dual quad core set-up consisting of a 1900MHz ARMv8 ARM Cortex A-57 quad-core + 1300MHz ARM Cortex-A53 quad-core (64-bit) along with a 768MHz nvidia GPU.

Even ignoring the rest of the specs that wildly outclass the 3DS hardware, I feel that the info provided is enough to understand your mistake.

Gonna completely disagree with everything you said.
snip

They need to kill the next game, and they cannot cut corners or else it will just be another game like XY and SM which are some of the worst pokemon games made (Personal opinion).

So they should spend the energy remaking a game most of us have already played, and the curious & ignorant can still play on current generation hardware?

ok

Back