Gen 5 Rain Dance Team

Culex77

Do I even need to explain who this is?
With the introduction of Dream World abilities now is as good a time as ever to plan a rain dance team. So let's begin.

Politoed
186.gif

Ability: Drizzle
Item: Leftovers
Nautre: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd
Moves:
Boiling Water
Focus Blast
Ice Beam
Hydro Pump/Surf

With Politoed's Dream World ability being Drizzle it's obvious it should be my lead. The moveset is pretty good in my opinion. Boiling Water is for STAB and the 30% chance of burning is nice. Surf and Hydro Pump is one of those accuracy over power things. Both are goods moves it just depends on what you want. Ice Beam is for Dragon types like Dragonite. Focus Blast is to take out Dark types like say Zoroark.

Kingdra
230.png

Ability: Swift Swim
Iem: Life Orb
Nature: Lonely/Naughty
EVs: 252 Atk, 80 Sp Atk, 176 Spd
Moves:
Waterfall
Outrage
Draco Meteor
Dragon Dance

Kingdra and alot of other water types are great with Politoed. Considering some of them have Swift Swim as their ability they will be good to have. Waterfall is for STAB and for possible flinching as well as being boosted by the rain. Outrage is for Pokemon that have low physical defense and Draco Meteor is for those that have lower special defense. Dragon Dance just makes Kingdra faster and stronger thanks to the attack and speed boost.

Vaporeon
134.gif

Ability: Hydration
Nature: Bold
EVs: 192 HP, 252 Def, 64 Sp Def
Moves:
Boiling Water
HP-Electric
Wish
Protect

With Vaporeon's Dream World ability being the same as Manaphy's regular ability there's no way you can keep this Pokemon out. Boiling Water is inflect burn and for STAB. HP Electric is to take care of other water types like say Gyarados. With Wish's new mechcanics it's a great recovery move for Vaporeon. Rest could be a better option because of it's ability but I don't care.
Protect is for letting Wish give Vaporeon some health back.

Azumarill
184.png

Item: Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Nature: Adament
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 HP
Moves:
Aqua Jet
Superpower
Ice Punch
Waterfall

Azumarill is another great Pokemon that benifits from the rain. Auqa Jet is to Azumarill the ability to hit it's opponet before it can attack. Superpower is good for Azumarill to take out Pokemon that resist Aqua Jet such as Natorrei. Ice Punch is for Dragon types that resist Aqua Jet. Waterfall is their for STAB.

Huntail
367.gif

Item: White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP, 58 Atk, 200 Spd
Moves:
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Shell Break
Baton Pass

I found this set to be quite interesting. Shell Break is for rasing it's offenisve and speed stats while lowering it's defensive stats. Thankfully the defense drops are never there thanks to the White Herb item. Then it can use Baton Pass to pass the stat boost to another Pokemon like Kingdra for example. Waterfall is for STAB and to deal with the usual Fire, Rock and Ground types and Ice Fang is for Dragon types.

Rotom-W
479-w.gif

Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 168 Def, 88 Spd
Moves:
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split

Unfortuantly for Rotom's forms they are no longer Ghost types so they can't get STAB from Shadow Ball like in the last generation. Still the wash form is pretty good as a wall. Thunderbolt is common on most Electric types as they have great special attack. Hydro Pump is for STAB and it's pretty powerful for Rotom. Will-O-Wisp is to deal an instant burn in case Vaporeon or Politoed goes down. Pain Split is for damageing Pokeom that use a recovery move like Recover.

Well that's my Gen 5 Rain Dance team and I hope you enjoyed it. Please feel free to give me your opinions and suggestions to make this team better. I'm thinking of putting Burungeru on this team cause I might need a bulky Ghost and Water type. Might replace Rotom-W for it.

I would remove Azumarill from the team and replace it with one of the following pokemon:

Swampert (a superior sweeper)
Manectric (lightning rod will definitely help and you probobly know about thunder)
Agirudaa (hydration is great and this handles psychics and darks amazingly)

I don't see how Lightining Rod would help in a single battle cause that is what this is ment for. I do know about Thunder's accuracy being increased in rain though so I might put Manectric in their. I suppose your talking about a Curse set for Swampert so I can see how it is a superior sweeper. Agirudaa would be good to have on this team. Also I find it interesting for a Bug type to have Hydration. I'll have him set up Rain Dance in case Politoed goes down.

Replace Azumarril with:
Ludicolo @ Leftovers
252 Def 252 SpD 4 SpA
Rain Dish
Bold

Leech Seed
Surf
Toxic
Protect

The greatest rain staller that has worked wonders for me.

How could I forget Ludicolo?! He has both Swift Swim and Rain Dish. This should have been the first Pokemon I thought of besides Politoed that is.

Yeah you do need at least 1 non water pokemon (excluding rotom) I am trying to think on that give me a day or two and I might have your answer.
Overall this team works great together I recommend a ludicolo if you want a non water pokemon that still posseses water as a type. Who you take out to make room for a ludicolo is your choice

Id change:
Kingdra doesnt need special attack input. It can freely use draco meteor without worrying about stat loss.

Swampert over azumarill.
Earthquake
Waterfall
Ice Punch
Protect/some other move

A ludicolo!!!
Rain Dish is great w/leftovers yadayadayada
Or try Tentacruel who now has raindish (boiling water+toxic+slime wave, icebeam)
or even blastoise (same ability)

That Swampert move set kinda looks simallure to Smogon's Choice Band set, minus protect of course. A lot of these water Pokemon are gaining some great ability that makes them better in the rain which is great. Blastoise and Tentacruel will be options for the future.

And i wouldnt count out Burunkeru either. Its pretty decent and gets the ghost stab rotom wishes it still had. Overall good wall with the boiling eye combo.

Just a little thing; I would put Thunder on Rotom-W instead of Thunderbolt for obvious reasons.

Also, I think a good suggestion for a Pokemon to add would be Bronzong with Levitate and a bunch of support moves. With Levitate and Rain Bronzong has no weaknesses, essentially becoming an amazing mixed wall. You could also go with a Bronzor with Evolution Stone and Levitate, which again has no weaknesses and really high mixed defenses, at the cost of slightly lowered HP, not quite as incredible moveset, and lowered attacking stats. I really don't know which one is best out of those, but i guess that's up to you. Scizor and Forretress work well also, seeing as they have their main weaknesses reduced. It's up to you, those are my suggestions.

I would consider making Vaporeon a Calm Mind one, making it a mini Manaphy. It'd be something like

Vaporeon
(Standard EVs)
Rest
Calm Mind
Boiling Water
Toxic/Ice Beam

Since Hydration gets rid of sleep. Also, you should have at least one Rain Dance user, because if Poli gets knocked out Ninetales, T-Tar, and Hippowdon become HUGE problems. I would also replace a pokemon with this

Shandera @ Balloon
Modest
252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 Speed

- Shadow Ball
- HP Water
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Basically, it's for trapping Hippowdon and Ninetales, and knocking them out with HP Water. It doesn't work on T-Tar because of Crunch/Pursuit. When against Hippowdon, use Protect, and if it doesn't Roar, Crunch, or Curse, Calm Mind for a while. If it does, hit it with HP Water.

Also like mentioned above, having Bronzong, Scizor, or Forretress would be good.

Going on from the above, get a steel type. Bronzong would be best, or nattorei/ scizor. Bronzong could be a rain dance back up, and nattorei a decent wall/spiker.

Just because it's a Rain Dance team doesn't mean all of the pokemon have to be Water types =P They just have to benefit from water. When all pokemon are water they are all exposed to a common weakness.

Just a little thing, in this generation Lightningrod now completely absorbs Electric attacks and the user gains +1 Sp. Attack. This means you can switch in either Manectric or Zapdos, get a free bost, and proceed to sweep! I personally would recommend a SubRoost Zapdos, as follows:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Lightning Rod
252 Sp Att/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP

- Substitute
- Roost
- Thunder
- HP Ice/ Grass

The idea of this set is to switch into an Electric attack, get the boost, Sub up, and sweep. SubRoost is a great stall combo, and really helps against low PP moves. Thunder has perfect accuracy in the rain, and is a monstrous attack with STAb and BP of 120. The last choice is preference. HP Grass cover the Water/Ground combo, while Ice covers Dragons and Grass types such as Breloom and Eruufun. Hope I helped!!

Yeah I didn't know that till I had a battle with a Zapdos with Lightining Rod. That just makes it a better Pokemon to use. I'm considering all of the options you guys gave me to build a better Rain Dance team. So thanks for your support. I still want any other ideas you guys can throw at me though cause it would help.

Back