• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Garchomp/Lucario Deck Shell

Eltyr

Aspiring Trainer
So, waiting for the Lucario GX who is going to make this deck pretty good in standard, I wanted to try a proxy to test before the set actually comes out. Putting this out here in case someone wants it or someone wants to correct the list in case i (probably) miss something.

Pokémon (19):
4x Gible (The ascension one)
2x Gabite
3x Garchomp
3x Riolu
3x Lucario
1x Rockruff
1x Lycanroc GX (Midnight)
1x Tapu Lele GX

Supporters (10):
4x Cynthia
2x N
3x Brigette
1x Guzma

Items (21):
4x Ultra Ball
3x Evosoda
3x Rare Candy
2x Rescue Stretcher
4x Puzzle of Time
2x Field Blower
2x Choice Band
1x Float Stone
1x Pal Pad

Energy (10):
4x Double colorless energy
1x Strong Energy
5x Fighting energy

Explaining the list.
I decided on the 4-2-3 line of Garchomp mainly because, being the ascension one, I wanna be sure to hit the Gabite in case i start second and wanna use ascension to put the gabite in play. I use 3 rare candies mainly because we have many heavy hitters in the meta that can put out 120 damage on their turn 2, so a gabite evolved this way can be knocked out before it even becomes garchomp, this way if I need i can turn a Gible in Garchomp without spending the attack to skip an evolution. Float stone is also there so I can retreat whatever is in the active spot in this case, and I can make space for this one copy since Lucario's ability lets me play cards very loosely since I can pick whatever I need wherever I need. the 3-3 Line of lucario is there because I doubt I would need to tutor for 4 specific cards every turn when I'm already drawing 6 cards thanks to Cythia, that makes the deck run, but 2 would seem too few to put out consistently, gotta see how it goes during playtest. Tapu Lele GX kinds of loses its purpose since after Lucario comes out he's never gonna hit the bench, but is a must for the turn one Brigette and I need it in at least one copy.
Now, the main problem of the deck is the lack of Guzma plays. You can use it, but if you don't use cynthia you can't get the 200 damage hit on Garchomp, so the 1-1 line of Lycanroc GX is here to solve the problem and pick out annoying Pokémons from the opponent's bench. The other reason is his GX attack, after we used it's ability we can follow up with a Guzma to knock something out in case the opponent has a full bench. Guzma works well with Lucario too, and we have the lone copy of Strong Energy: without it we wouldn't make the OHKO on the Zoroark GXs, which is a very popular deck in this format, we can however kill it with a strong energy and a choice band (that we can find with Lucario itself, obviously). Speaking of energy, we play the 4 DCE for Garchomp and eventually Lycanroc (in case we need to attach it to him to attack or 'cause we missed the second fighting for Dangerous road) and 5 Fighting energies so that we can hit the ascension reliably.
Apart from the 4 Cynthias we play 2 N for draws (only 6 draws, I know, but after the first Lucario and Garchomp comes out we basically use a Cynthia every turn), 3 Brigette 'cause it's really, really important to bench 2 Riolus as soon as possible, and the already mentioned Guzma.
For the items, 4 Puzzle of Time to pick back items already used, the classic 4 Ultraballs and a 3-3 split of Rare Candy and Evosoda: initially i only wanted to play 2 candies because, after the first pair is out, we can tutor for them or pick them back with Puzzles to put out other Garchomps, but the meta being so aggresive with Zoroark, Golisopod and Buzzwoles everywere I prefer to have a little more consistency in evolution in case they set up faster than I do. 3 Evo sodas for aiding ascension evolution and put out Lucario (these always get used real fast, since when I need to put out the second Lucario I often take the evo soda to reduce the dead draws from Cynthia). 2 Rescue stretcher since it's a mainly non-gx deck and out Pokemons will be knocked out much more easily than GXs, 2 Field Blowers and 2 Choice bands to hit the 230 damage ceiling of the deck (or use it on Lucario against Zoroarks, already mentioned).
Pal Pad is here to avoid wasting Puzzles of Time on Cynthias in case we prize a few/use many of them in the early game to set up: instead of picking them in a trade 2 Puzzles for 2 Cynthias, we shuffle 2 back with Pal Pad, and eventually take back Pal Pad and another item with the Puzzles (yeah value).

I would have liked to put in the old Garchomp since it accelerates energy from the discard pile to the bench and makes the Matchup against Volcanion easier with its second attack.
Also, Devoured Field would help hit the 210 ceiling without items or 240 to knock out decidueyes (could be annoying with the max potions).
Also, Enhanched Hammer, can't find room, will probably take out and energy or an evosoda to fit it in.

Gonna think over it more tomorrow, please give me your opinion.

That fourth Gible is unnecessary. You can cut it for the Spiritomb from Ultra Prism, if you feel like it.
Other than that, this list seems really solid!

I think you can cut the lycanroc GX becuase it’s to bulky to play in this deck and you could add 1 spiritomb and 1 more pal pad so you have it.

Counter catcher seems really unreliable, and I really want consistency. One copy seems like a good idea tho, since I play Puzzles, but I gotta do more playtest and see how often I need it.
How is Lycanroc bulky here? In the few games i tried it always seemed like a nice add, and really helps in match ups where the opponent hides resources on the bench (most common example, Magnezones in the necrozma deck).
I play four Gibles for consistency, if I prize one I don't want to be held back, already tested with 3 and didn't like the feel. Also with 4 I raise my chances to start with it and go hard with ascension.
The second pal pad is really heavy on the deck, with my list I can play up to 10 Cynthias, doubt I'll ever need more than that.
The one thing that seems I could cut is the third rare candy honestly, Didn't need it as much as i thought (while it's also true I didn't test against any Golisopod, the reason I put it in in the first place).
Gotta se how many Glaceon/Decidueyes pops out in the meta, in that case I could switch it with a devoured field to get the one hit KO with Choice Band and Cynthia.

The gible with acension is inherently worse than the one with hide in rocks, and let me explain why.
first, it has only 50 hp, which makes for an easy alolan ninetails, buzzwole + strong energy, or garchomp snipe. Secondly, if you get out a gible into the active on turn 1 going second, you leave an 80 hp pokemon in the active, an extremely easy KO. Gabite with acension is much better because you ascend into a 150 hp pokemon.

The gible with acension is inherently worse than the one with hide in rocks, and let me explain why.
first, it has only 50 hp, which makes for an easy alolan ninetails, buzzwole + strong energy, or garchomp snipe. Secondly, if you get out a gible into the active on turn 1 going second, you leave an 80 hp pokemon in the active, an extremely easy KO. Gabite with acension is much better because you ascend into a 150 hp pokemon.
Would agree, but I don't play the Alolan vulpix in favor of the evosodas, so I don't really have any sacrifical lamb to put in front if I want to retreat a Gible I start with. Gotta find a day to test against Buzzwole so I can see if I'll make a split between the two gibles.

Pokémon (19):
1x Gible (The ascension one)
3x Gible (The free retreat one)
3x Gabite
3x Garchomp
3x Riolu
2x Lucario
1x Rockruff
1x Lycanroc GX (Midnight)
2x Tapu Lele GX

Supporters (10):
4x Cynthia
2x N
3x Brigette
1x Guzma

Items (20):
4x Ultra Ball
2x Evosoda
2x Rare Candy
2x Rescue Stretcher
4x Puzzle of Time
2x Field Blower
2x Choice Band
1x Float Stone
1x Pal Pad

Energy (11):
4x Double colorless energy
1x Strong Energy
6x Fighting energy

Testing like this as of now.

Last edited:
Also why strong energy, you cannot use it on the garchomp, only the lucario and lycanroc, and I want to cut the latter.

Also why strong energy, you cannot use it on the garchomp, only the lucario and lycanroc, and I want to cut the latter.
Because Zoroark in a 1-1 or 2-2 line is becoming a thing, and if you fight a Gardevoir GX you have no way to cut off the Octillery or Gallade without them.

Back