• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Garchomp (Devour EX Decks)

Sonkyhaner

Aspiring Trainer
HI, this is my second deck i am posting here, i ahve been having great success with it in online, and i am currently 28 wins/7 Losses. i am thinking about adding karen when she is legal (vespiquen matchup sucks) and mabye zygarde ex / sudowoodo from breakpoint mabye. anyways, please do give suggestions since this deck is AWESOME, and i want it to be even more AWESOME :)

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 4 Talonflame STS 96
* 4 Gible BKP 68
* 2 Gabite BKP 69
* 4 Garchomp BKP 70
* 1 Remoraid BKT 32
* 1 Octillery BKT 33

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 4 Bursting Balloon BKP 97
* 1 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 1 Eco Arm AOR 71
* 1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138
* 4 Rare Candy PRC 135
* 1 Silent Lab PRC 140
* 1 Faded Town AOR 73
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 2 N FAC 105
* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 1 Pokémon Ranger STS 104
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Level Ball NXD 89

##Energy - 9

* 4 Strong Energy FAC 115
* 5 Fighting Energy Energy 6

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

It seems like a pretty interesting deck to play. I've been thinking about playing this as well (A real deck), after all, I'm a huge fan of strong non-ex decks. Although getting the rare candy out isn't easy without korrina in the format. Perhaps using something like trainers mail could help, although I'm not sure what to take out. I can see why you have Giovanni's scheme. After all, we don't have muscle band and fighting stadium right now. It seems like space is quite the luxury compared to the XY and on format.

yeah, this is a really tight deck, and a trainers mail or two would help i think, but it is kind of what i have octillery for, most of the time i have around 5 cards, and i can usually play stuff. and yeah rare candy is a problem if you don't get talonflame turn one. if anything i could swap pokemon ranger and one other card for 2 trainers' mail. but otherwise it is a tight fit. i could remove octillery, and the float stone. if i do i could add another N and trainers mails. i will test it and check,

I like your list a lot! It matches up almost card for card with my first draft of the deck. I've noticed from TONS of playtesting that going with one engine - either Talonflame or Octillery - and one stadium (I prefer Silent Lab over Faded Town) dramatically improves this deck's consistency.

Possible swaps:
-1 Professor's Letter (90% of the time I almost feel like I'm drawing too much energy, so accessing it is a very niche issue, and I'm usually already not faring well if I can't find energy.)
-1 Giovanni's Scheme (It makes SO MUCH SENSE but just never works - I end up using it more as a draw supporter, which is just wrong, so I prefer to run another N.)
-1 Hex Maniac (There's just no room for tech supporters beyond Ranger, which you need because of Glaceon.)

+3 Trainers' Mail (Simply put, they're consistency and instant Candy access.)

I REALLY want room for:

1 Karen (She puts you a turn behind because late game, because you almost always need your supporter to help you draw into a Candy/Garchomp combo, which Karen won't really help with; I think she only really works in Talonflame builds, because space isn't as much of an issue.)
1 Enhanced Hammer
3rd Silent Lad
1 Brigette (In Talonflame builds, as it can set up my board turn one.)
1 or 2 Skyla (Poor man's Korrina.)
1 Escape Rope (I actually already play this in my deck- it doesn't seem totally necessary, especially in Talonflame builds, because of all the free retreat, but it's been super useful in a whole host of different situations.)

Last season, Garchomp was 1 of my top decks; and although it lost some key resources due to rotation, it is still a solid Pokémon to build a deck around. It will also be formidable still in Expanded format play too, IMO.

Only a few comments for your consideration:

• A 1-1 Octillery line is risky. Should either Pokémon be prized or discarded early, you may not ever have access to the resource. Further, Garbotoxin play has definitely increased this season based upon my observations. So, I'd suggest bumping this line up to 2-2 or just replace these 2 Pokémon with additional card-draw Supporters.
  • Your 4-2-4 Garchomp line is also supplemented by 4 Rare Candy which I believe is excessive. I'd suggest replacing 2 Rare Candy with Skyla (or 1 Skyla and another Stadium).
How are the Bursting Balloons working for you? I really don't find them to be a deterrent since, in most cases. I can Lysandre around that particular Pokémon with the attached Balloon or just accept the resulting effect, but still win the game.

bursting baloons are great! i have won loads of games with them and they put pressure where there sometime was none, and they are really recycleable with eco arm.
and i agree with octillery,, he is awesome..! ehm when he isn't prized that is. and I am going to put Karen in this deck when i get the card :) i think 2 rare candy is too risky, bcs i have had 2 prized before, so 3 is a minimum for me.

Y i have been using giovannis more as draw that damage, only against resistance have i used the damage, since you need a new hand allmost every turn. so i think i am going to switch it out. hex maniac and ranger is a tech for my league, going to swap one of them for the karen. bridgette could be good, even though this deck is packed. i will look into it when i get back home, and i will update and test a new version. :)

here is my suggestion. (either hex or ranger. depends on you'r league. i hink i am going to play hex. bcs greninja is prevelant. and 2 faded town. ther is alot of mega)

##Pokémon - 14

* 4 Talonflame STS 96
* 4 Gible BKP 68
* 2 Gabite BKP 69
* 4 Garchomp BKP 70

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 1 Skyla BKT 148
* 1 Eco Arm AOR 71
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 3 Rare Candy PRC 135
* 2 Silent Lab PRC 140
* 1 Faded Town AOR 73
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 3 N FAC 105
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Level Ball NXD 89

##Energy - 9

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

this is another version that could work. there is honestly alot of cards that would be amazing, but honestly there is too little space ...

##Pokémon - 14

* 4 Talonflame STS 96
* 4 Gible BKP 68
* 2 Gabite BKP 69
* 4 Garchomp BKP 70

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 1 Eco Arm AOR 71
* 3 Rare Candy PRC 135
* 2 Silent Lab PRC 140
* 1 Faded Town AOR 73
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 3 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 3 N FAC 105
* 2 Level Ball NXD 89

##Energy - 9

Total Cards - 60

I'm going to admit, Karen seems like a risky choice. If you ever want to Maxie out a Garchomp late game and you played Karen earlier, how are you gonna do it? Also, with the loss of Battle Compressor, playing Karen makes it near impossible to play Maxie late game.

I personally don't think this deck is viable anymore, but what do I know. It might win worlds out of nowhere.

If I were to run this deck, though, I would add Regirock-EX from Fates Collide instead of Octillery for extra damage and potential OHKOs to megas. Float Stone would be a near necessity as well for the Regirock.

I've thought about experimenting with 1 copy of Maxie's actually. There are several occasions when I play my hand down to 1 VS Seeker - would certainly help late game, as you said, to flash a Garchomp into play and hit for good damage instead of waiting a turn for a Gible to develop. Or...it could be yet another dead card to work around if you start Gible instead of Talonflame...

I've thought about experimenting with 1 copy of Maxie's actually. There are several occasions when I play my hand down to 1 VS Seeker - would certainly help late game, as you said, to flash a Garchomp into play and hit for good damage instead of waiting a turn for a Gible to develop. Or...it could be yet another dead card to work around if you start Gible instead of Talonflame...
'Experimenting'

You have to run Maxie's in a list that is 2-2-4. It would be humorous not to.

y. maxies could work. i am running karen atm because vespiquen sucks ass. and is like literally impossible to beat without being super lucky

@RealMemeHours, was there a list somewhere that had a 2-2-4 line that I missed? Even with Maxie's, anything less than a 3 count of Gible is suicide, IMO but hey, to each his own.

Ok my apologies in advance, but I think I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers.

I have NOT had success with this deck. I have used a deck very similar to the ones posted above and based on the video posted by TCG Center on 9/15. I am 12-20 with this deck (7-10 when starting TF). And I really really want it to work - my main deck before the new rotation was a Garchomp Gallade deck that was a whole lot of fun to play. I miss this deck, but I have not had much success with it.

And before you tell me I must be an idiot and suck, I'm winning 70+% of my matches with M Mewtwo, Darkrai EX Giratina EX, and Xerneas Break Giratina EX decks.

Again, my apologies for being contrary, I just want to make sure that people are aware that, unfortuntately, this is not a top tier, competitive deck.

Following up, played ten matches tonight with the initial deck list in this thread and went 3-7.

Wins:

M Houndoom, M Charizard, Flareon EX
Toxicroak Ariados
Yveltal EX Darkrai EX

Losses:

Lugia EX M Gardevoir EX
Machamp EX Carbink Break
Noctowl
Regice Glaceon EX
Rainbow Road
Dewgong Glaceon EX
M Steelix

I started TF 6 times and was 2-4 in those games. Again, I just want people to know that this deck is not a competitive deck. I wish it were - I really like Garchomp, and on paper you'd think that it would be more competitive than what I've had experience with.

It seems like a pretty interesting deck to play. I've been thinking about playing this as well (A real deck), after all, I'm a huge fan of strong non-ex decks. Although getting the rare candy out isn't easy without korrina in the format. Perhaps using something like trainers mail could help, although I'm not sure what to take out. I can see why you have Giovanni's scheme. After all, we don't have muscle band and fighting stadium right now. It seems like space is quite the luxury compared to the XY and on format.
i would recommend to just battle in expanded most leagues do so.
i just recently bought the keldeo vs requaza battle deck and there are 24 of the cards that you need for this deck in that package.
the price at 29.99 usd may seem intimidating but it is worth every single penny.
and you could sell the promos and keep the trainers and it would cost about the same.

Back