• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Furious Box (Buzzwole GX / Sudowoodo / Carbink Break)

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
FURIOUS FIST

m92_7voimq3t1.png

Pokémon (12):

• 1 Diancie Prism Star (enable)
  • 1 Sudowoodo XY (beatdown)
  • 1 Buzzwole SM6 (beatdown)
  • 1 Tapu Lele GX (beatdown)
  • 4 Buzzwole GX (beatdown)
  • 2 Lycanroc GX (beatdown)
  • 2 Rockruff SM6 (evolve)
Trainer (34):
  • 4 Professor Sycamore (draw)
  • 3 Guzma (control)
  • 3 Cynthia (draw)
  • 1 Lillie (draw)
  • 3 N (draw)
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher (retrieval)
  • 3 Choice Band (beatdown)
  • 4 Beast Ring (accelerate)
  • 2 Field Blower (discard)
  • 2 Float Stone (retreat)
  • 4 Ultra Ball (search)
  • 4 Brooklet Hill (search)
Energy (14):
  • 9 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 1 Beast Energy

STRATEGY:

Start with Buzzwole GX and search out Diancie Prism Star with Brooklet Hill. Lead with Buzzwole GX and soften the opponent’s bench with Jet Punch. Once the active Buzzwole GX has been defeated use Beast Ring to accelerate to the benched Buzzwole GX and send out Buzzwole non-GX to attack. The deck focuses a lot on damage modifiers and fast attacks. It does not need a large bench and has a lot of control with Guzma and Lyranroc.

Last edited:
Hi Vitiel,

Would be an alternative but I wanted scorched earth to draw and discard basic energy to be accelerated with Carbink Break. The deck may change once more cards are revealed but it is a first draft and I had the impression that Buzzwole GX was underrated when revealed. I believe he is one of the better Ultra Beasts revealed thus far. Guzzlord GX on the other hand seems to be overrated. He has the best art out of the three but he did not impress at all.

3 Professor Kukui seems like 3 too many to me. You're already getting extra damage with Strong Energy and FFB. I'd rather use a better draw supporter for my turn.

-3 Professor Kukui
-2 Escape Rope

+1 Guzma
+1 N
+2 Float Stone
+1 FFB

You're going to be drawing into Escape Rope even when you don't need it if you run 4. I feel like 4 Guzma/2 Float Stone/2 Escape Rope is more consistent. Maxing out FFB and N for consistency reasons as well. Overall, I do like the list.

Hi Vitiel,

Thanks for the review. In main modification made was to reduce the number of Carbink to ensure the deck starts with Buzzwole GX and to use Po Town over Scorched Earth or Brooklet Hill. The reason for the latter modification was that Buzzwole Gx has a natural damage cap and modifiers were needed to allow it to obtain ohkos.

Hi HouchinsDJ,

Thanks for the review. The reason to run four Escape Rope is that Knuckle Impact disables Buzzwole GX to attack next turn. the deck therefore needs a means to switch between two Buzzwole GX on a constant basis. The main idea is to start with Jet Punch and fuel another Buzzwole GX on the bench. Once fueled switch for the benched Buzzwole GX and use Absorption GX to ohko one of the opponent's Pokémon. Next turn use Knuckle Impact in case the active Buzzwole GX is still alive. From that point on the deck needs a reliable means to swithc between attackers in order to score ohkos. In this sense Buzzwole GX is similar to Golisopod GX. Guzma and Escape Rope worked really well in my Golisopod list and I transfered that concept to Buzzwole GX. I can see myself cutting one kukui for a fourth Guzma but not sold on Float Stone since the main Pokémon that needs to be switched in and out is Buzzwole GX and he prefers to hold Fighting Fury Belt. This would leave the deck with 8 means to switch Buzzwole Gx around and simultaneously disrupt the opponent's battlefield. Escape Rope can be rather disruptive especially early game for setup decks. What do you think about these considerations.

I'm also gonna be making a deck similar to this, I'm not a fan of 3 kukui, and I think you really want brooklet hill in this deck, that also opens up the possibility of octilery for draw support.

I also don't think 4 buzzwole will ever get used, 3 would probably be just fine imo

Pokémon (12):
  • 2 Carbink Break (acceleration)
  • 2 Tapu Lele GX (beatdown)
  • 4 Buzzwole GX (beatdown)
  • 2 Sudowoodo (beatdown)
  • 2 Carbink XY (beatdown)
Trainer (34):
  • 4 Professor Sycamore (draw)
  • 3 Professor Kukui (draw)
  • 1 Bridgette (search)
  • 3 Guzma (control)
  • 3 N (draw)
  • 3 Fighting Fury Belt (beatdown)
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher (retrieval)
  • 4 Max Elixir (accelerate)
  • 4 Escape Rope (control)
  • 4 Ultra Ball (search)
  • 4 Po Town (beatdown)
Energy (14):
  • 10 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy

Very nice list.

Being a huge fan of 1 energy-attachment attackers (e.g., Landorus EX, Manectric EX, Mewtwo EX, Sceptile EX, Trevenant BREAK (+ DV Stadium), etc.), I especially like the idea of forgoing Choice Bands for Fighting Fury Belts. This tactic would seem to be really effective in further enhancing the damage boost output of both the Strong energy and Professor Kukui.

A few thoughts for your consideration:

Why no Field Blower(s)?

Brigette is potentially crucial to your setup; why not run 2?

Do you have a sufficient number of F energy for 3 of the 4 Max Elixirs to be successful 90% of the time (my personal metric)? Without good ways to "thin-out" one's deck in the current Standard format, I've standardized running 12-13 Basic energy in order to achieve my 90%+ objective consistently.

Any early testing results you can share? I'd be most interested in knowing about any testing against decks like Gardevoir GX, Volcanion EX, and Golisopod GX.

Thanks.

Hi TheCraftyScot,

Thanks for the review. While Brooklet Hill is an option it is not needed that much in this deck since it uses Bridgette to setup fast. I do agree that four Buzzwole GX are not entirely needed and one could be replaced with Oranguru. In aggressive decks such as this ine I like Oranguru more than Octillery. The deck is all about damage modifiers such as Strong Energy, Kukui and Po Town to enable Buzzwole GX to hit numbers before he is knocked out himself.

Hi TuxedoBlack,

Thanks for the review. I hardly run more than one Bridgette in most decks. The exception to this rule is Gardevoir GX since this deck can break down fast when it is unable to reliably setup. Did not have that many problems with only one Bridgette. Although ten Basic Energies is a lower bound and twelve would ensure a more stable hit for Max Elixir I felt that this was all I could do and Buzzwole GX seemed to need the early energy acceleration from the deck to fuel his second and third attack. The reason behind no Field Blower is simply that I could not fit them into the deck without compromising consistency. On usual I am a firm believer in two Field Blowers in almost all decks since that trainer is just to good to miss.

Testing results have been mixed and some of the results were obtained with a less stable pre-version of this deck. Thus far I tested the deck against (1) Golisopod Lurantis, (2) Golisopod Garbodor, (3) Golisopod Zoroark, (4) Marshadow Rainbow Force, (5) Gardevoir GX, (6) Ninetales GX, and (7) Drampa Garbodor. In total the number of matches against each deck varied from one to three. Data on the various matches are therefore not entire conclusive. I initially focused more on trying to get the deck consistent in terms of setting up, streaming attackers and being able to switch between Buzzwole GXes to circumvent the detrimental side effect of his second attack. Based on the limited reliable information available to me thus far here are some observations:

Success dependent on (1) setting up sufficiently fast, and (2) being able to stream attackers able to ohko. Hitting for fighting weakness is good in some matches (e.g. Drampa, Zoroark) but the psychic weakness can be a serious issue that holds the deck back from trading favorably. Streaming attackers was an issue in previous versions but Max Elixir and Escape Rope seem to help in most matches. Against Golisopod variants Escape Rope can backfire but it is excellent disruption against setup decks such as Gardevoir GX. Against Golisopod Fighting Fury Belt helped to prevent ohkos on Buzzwole GX with Golisopod himself. Sudowoodo also seems to help in certain matches because he is a low-cost attacker that can mimic the opponent's attack but only gives up one prize. I liked him a lot versus Rainbow Force and Ninetales. Did you test out Buzzwole GX thus far? If so, what are your observations?

...Did you test out Buzzwole GX thus far? If so, what are your observations?

I'm a long-time fan of Landorus EX which seems like a predecessor of Buzzwole GX. This is the only Pokémon I look forward to getting from the next set. From my "early" testing, I plan to use my "old" tactic of attacking with my initial Buzzwole GX till my opponent "deals with it." So, I will spread damage around for 2-3 turns. Note that with Buzzwole GX inflicting 30/40/60 - 30 damage for just 1 energy, damage on my opponent's Pokémon (especially the Stage 1 and 2 lines - which are prime targets) can add up fast. So, I also use Espeon EX to devolve my opponents Stage lines. This tactic works well against some of the top decks.

My list is still in draft form, but will share after it's a bit more polished.

Last edited:
Why so many energy? 14 is way too many IMO. I understand that you want to reset Knuckle Impact but 4 Ropes seem hugely excessive.

Why so many energy? 14 is way too many IMO. I
IMO, higher (12+) Basic energy counts are needed now in Standard format games since you don't have a consistent, effective means of thinning-out one's deck early game (to make the Max Elixirs as effective as possible). The higher Basic energy counts enhance one's chances of hitting the Max Elixirs at a very high % rate most of the time, especially the OP's Blitzkrieg tactic.

There is way too many energy in this list. With energy acceleration in the form of carbink, I dont think you need more than 12. I think 4 Strong + 8 basic is a good amount, but personally I wouldnt run more than 7 Basic. I also dont see why you arent running Regirock EX. It fixes a lot of the math, and you can remove the 4 Po town for it, as well as adding 2 Brooklet hill.

4 Escape rope is too much, especially with the Psychic weakness, you need to try to limit how many items youre using because most top decks are running garb in one form or another. No need to make good matchups bad because you want to have a bit of switching here and there. I wouldnt run any and add 3 Float. Its slightly safer when it comes to Trashalanche and it can possibly stay all game. You will also need 2 Field blower to save you from other FFB or Garbotoxin plays.

Have you thought about Zygarde EX? It's a bulky attacker with a different weakness. And Power Memory seems cute too, since you can kill a Gardy out of nowhere. I have more to say, but that'll come later.

Hi joffreyspikes,

Thanks for the review. The deck runs a larger basic energy count to ensure Max Elixir hits more consistantly. The main focus of the deck is to use the GX attack on the second turn and either continue with Jet Punch or preferably ohko the next defender using Knuckle Impact. Similarly Escape Rope is here to switch between attackers and disrupt the opponent at the same time. A lot of decks use setup Pokémon such as Alolan Vulpix or hide behind Tapu Koko in the first turns. Escape Rope messes with the opponent by forcing them to expose a Pokémon that they might prefer to setup on the bench.

Hi superdan51,

Thanks for the review. As outlined above the reason for the increased energy count is to ensure that Max Elixir has better odds to hit them and allow me to attack with Absorption GX turn two. The entire deck is focused on a Blitzkrieg tactic in which you try to score ohkos fast with Buzzwole GX and disable the opponent to set up. Escape Rope messes with the opponent's choice of the defening Pokémon and simultaneously allows me to reset the detrimental side effect of Knuckle Impact. Once Absorption GX has been used Knuckle Impact is my only means to ohko the defender. I am not that sure on Float Stone in this deck since you want Fighting Fury Belt on Buzzwole GX and you also need to retreat him. This leaves us with Guzma, switch and Escape Rope as alternate means to switch Buzzwole GX out of the active position. Psychic weakness is indeed and issue but there is not much that can be done to fix this problem. When we talk about Psychic weakness we mainly talk about Garbodor. With no more than five to six items in the discard Garbodor will be able to ohko Buzzwole GX. Float Stone does not resolve this issue because Garbodor decks in my local meta tend to run two to three field blowers. Escape Rope on the other hand might be able to drag either a Drampa GX or Golisopod into the active position and allow Buzzwole GX to trade more favorably.

Regirock is a nice idea but I prefer him more in a different Buzzwole GX variant that focuses almost exclusively on Jet Punch and damage spread. This variant also works well but not sure whether I like it more than a Necrozma GX variant of that tactic. As mentioned above I would like to fit one to two Field Blower into the deck primarily to discard opposing Fighting Fury Belt. Garbotoxin is less of a concern since this deck does not rely on abilities at all. Any suggestions on how to fit two Field Blowers into this list while maintaining the focus on the Blitzkrieg tactic?

Hi gumball51321,

Thanks for the review. Might consider a tech Zygarde EX to have an alternate attacker. Interested in the other points that you mentioned.

I don't really see not being able to attack after using the 160 attack to be a problem. I've tested it a fair bit (with Lycanroc personally) and it's really hard to get 3 energy onto the Buzzwole before it dies. If you do manage to do that (e.g. Carbink BREAK) then it's better to use GX first, then the 160, and if you can pull that off you probably won already.

Hi Memory,

Thanks for the review. Did not have much issues getting three energies onto Buzzwole GX within two turns with Max Elixir and the ten Basic Energies. Once you can get the benched one active you will use Absorption GX and Knuckle Impact on the next turn. You will need switching cards within the first three turns. I am currently testing three Escape Rope and three Guzma to achieve this aim. I lowered the number of Escape Rope to fit one Field Blower into the deck. How did your variant with Midnight Lycanroc fare thus far?

Hi Vitel,

Not sure on Mew. while it has free retreat and can use Knuckle Impact it also has low HP and without Dimensional Valley it is no more efficient than Buzzwole GX himself. However I have to admit that the free retreat is intriguing. Might have to check it out.

Back