'Forbidden Light,' Japan's SM6 Set!

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Who else sees nagnadel-GX taking over the meta?

First: It's a psychic type, so it hits for weakness against Buzzswole
Second: Its first attack is Zoroark-GX's attack but for ultra beasts
Third: its searchable with mysterious treasure and the new stadium along with the new beast support cards.
Lastly: It has one of the best GX attacks made yet, evening the playing field for both players

Naganadel will primarily be a Buzzwole variant IMO because its important attacks have colorless costs and there aren't that many UBs worth playing right now. Really just Buzzwole and Ultra Necrozma, and Ultra Necrozma has no real reason to play Naganadel since you will want 2-3 Malamar benched and can just run old Necrozma if you want to hit Buzzwole and Lucario for weakness.

If you just run a pure Naganadel deck you're going to have trouble imo since you will typically lack an answer for Zoroark, and benching potential answers like Garbodor puts you under 2HKO range with Zoroark considering resistance and the fact that you need a full bench of only UBs. It's a great card but I think that Espeon/Garb and Necrozma/Malamar will be better all around options for a psychic deck.

Last edited:

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
You know, I'm a little surprised TCPi didn't just make Mysterious Treasure a rare Trainer too. Like, yeah go ahead, let's see how much we can jack the prices up on all these playable cards! Give TCPi all your muns!

Wechselbalg

brb
Naganadel will certainly be interesting; as of now the only two variants I could imagine are Naganadel/Buzzwole (both share the same weakness though so that's a bit of a drawback) and Naganadel/Kartana/Dusk Mane which is somewhat less aggressive and more distruptive. Both obviously use Ultra Space and Beast Ring. Or...what about Naganadel/Kartana/Ultra Necrozma and baby Duskmane which uses Kartana as a searchable E Hammer and relies on Beast Ring to power up Ultra Necrozma/Naganadel for the GX or baby Dusk Mane if needed, who can either snipe an opponent's GX that you missed the KO on, or it could even close up games after Stinger GX has been used and both players have managed to take 2 prizes, leaving both sides with just 1. I see a lot of room for experimenting here.

Naganadel's GX attack is great and has a lot of potential, (at the same time it also enables your opponent to use beast ring so it's a bit risky and thus requires proper planning) not to mention that the single energy attachment attack is also pretty good. I'd certainly like to experient with it once FOL releases.

Last edited:

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Sir, you forgot to update the attack name of the Pokemon, especially who are censored like:
  • Scatterbug's Plague to Abnormal Outbreak
  • Arceus' First Commandment to First Law

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Quarterly announcement and ban list

^ I wonder if Malamar/Mew/Wobbuffet and/or Buzzwole & Friends is the next ban-pending combo in Expanded, as the above hinted that some expanded cards and/or combos have emerged, according to TPCi's announcement above, as "potentially problematic", but one has to look at what they mean, and think: "What popular card coming from this set turns an Expanded card into one broken enough to be ban-worthy from Expanded?"

^ I looked at popular candidates for potential toxins from Expanded that started out not-so-toxic, but is due to become toxic as a result of some critical cards from the new FOL set, and came up w/ a few cards that could be ban-worthy as a result of set:

One, Buzzwole FOL and Buzzwole-GX CRI and either Lycanroc-GX GUR or both of Zygarde-EX FCO and Zygarde-GX FOL and Carbink BREAK FCO...

Two, Wobbuffet PHF/GEN and its ability.

^ Should I look harder for any more candidates for potential toxins? Or, if either combo does too well, do you think it is right to be concerned about said cards in terms of it/them going down from Expanded by the ban hammer after the NA Internationals pass into the books of history?

Last edited:

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life

^ I wonder if Malamar/Mew/Wobbuffet and/or Buzzwole & Friends is the next ban-pending combo in Expanded, as the above hinted that some expanded cards and/or combos have emerged, according to TPCi's announcement above, as "potentially problematic", but one has to look at what they mean, and think: "What popular card coming from this set turns an Expanded card into one broken enough to be ban-worthy from Expanded?"

^ I looked at popular candidates for potential toxins from Expanded that started out not-so-toxic, but is due to become toxic as a result of some critical cards from the new FOL set, and came up w/ a few cards that could be ban-worthy as a result of set: One, Buzzwole FOL+Buzzwole-GX CRI+Lycanroc-GX GUR/Zygarde-EX FCO/Zygarde-GX FOL, two, Wobbuffet PHF/GEN. Should I look harder for any more candidates for potential toxins? Or, if either combo does too well, do you think it is right to be concerned about said cards in terms of it/them going down from Expanded by the ban hammer after the NA Internationals pass into the books of history?

EDIT: Another potential toxin would be Mega Mewtwo-EX... Just put a Sky Field down on field to make room for three more, then place down Hoopa to get the mega ready and in hand alongside shaymin-EX , followed by Wobbuffet to prevent opposition set up outside Lele-GX, fairy energy on Diancie BUS for Sparkling Wish(skipping the spirit link step). Turn 2, set up Mega Mewtwo w/ your Malamars' abilities, using everything possible to do so, including cards like compressor, ultra ball, etc., then when you're ready, field blower to discard sky field, discard hoopa, shaymin, and diancie in case the bench has exceeded five pokemon, choice band(no link), double colorless on Mega Mewtwo-EX, bam! One Psychic Infinity w/ three Energies on opponent and five to six total energies on the Mega combined w/ choice band is enough to cream anything. Combine that w/ DW Necrozma-GX + Float Stone, in case you can't switch counters, so you can heal them off w/ Lele-GX's GX move. All in all, the above process's result is a monster of a toxin!
I think they meant they'd ban one card to ruin the combo. Also, M Mewtwo-EX is seeing no play at all. IMO some combos they are looking into are Zoro/Eggs (probably banning Eggs), and Tropical Beach. Also, maybe Buzzwole or Sable/Garb (probably banning Sableye)

EDIT: Just realized you were talking about Post-FBL for M Mewtwo-EX. Still seems a tad clunky to me

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
I think they meant they'd ban one card to ruin the combo. Also, M Mewtwo-EX is seeing no play at all. IMO some combos they are looking into are Zoro/Eggs (probably banning Eggs), and Tropical Beach. Also, maybe Buzzwole or Sable/Garb (probably banning Sableye)

EDIT: Just realized you were talking about Post-FBL for M Mewtwo-EX. Still seems a tad clunky to me

That last part of my post sounded more than five benched too, so it wouldn't be realistic by game rules, but why didn't I realize that until your post?

^ Maybe my rambling made me lose track... :(

Last edited:

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
Are there situations where you would want to use eneporter instead of enhanced hammer? I don't see it getting much play at all.
In some situations, like zoroark decks, or decks dependant on special energy. since they will almost always have a hoopa,shaymin, octillery, or some support pokemon, you can awitch the energy to them, so they cant use it at all. Some cases its better to discard thier special energy, but it can be recovered with special charge or .

Who else sees nagnadel-GX taking over the meta?

First: It's a psychic type, so it hits for weakness against Buzzswole
Second: Its first attack is Zoroark-GX's attack but for ultra beasts
Third: its searchable with mysterious treasure and the new stadium along with the new beast support cards.
Lastly: It has one of the best GX attacks made yet, evening the playing field for both players
poipole has to evolve, so you can snipe it before that happens. if your expanded like me, i would wally it, and hope you can get enough ultra beast in your opening hand or through searching. Mysterious treasure is pretty useful for dragons and psychics, its begging to be use in ultra andd regular necrozma decks, along with malamar.

@DarkMatterGaming, I was thinking of goomy as a stall card, with wobbuffet in the bench, for passive milling decks.
@Timmony_tcg: thats why i only play the Online game, since i dont need to buy anything. People save money by just buying online codes, hopefully the online game doesnt go down like yugioh did in a few years, since ptgco draws paying customers away.
@paulyd84: Something tells me its going be in the next pack sm7.

Last edited by a moderator:

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
In some situations, like zoroark decks, or decks dependant on special energy. since they will almost always have a hoopa,shaymin, octillery, or some support pokemon, you can awitch the energy to them, so they cant use it at all. Some cases its better to discard thier special energy, but it can be recovered with special charge or .

...As long as the wording does not say in part: "If this card is attached to anything other than a (insert type here) pokemon, then discard this card". Strong Energy cannot be attached to just any pokemon, so eneporter can be used in lieu of enhanced hammer to discard the strong... But if you don't want the strong in discard, such as the case of Carbink BREAK(Diamond Gift could retrieve such energy back to the square one point), that limitation means one thing: choose the receiver wisely...

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer

^ I looked at popular candidates for potential toxins from Expanded that started out not-so-toxic, but is due to become toxic as a result of some critical cards from the new FOL set, and came up w/ a few cards that could be ban-worthy as a result of set:

One, Buzzwole FOL and Buzzwole-GX CRI and either Lycanroc-GX GUR or both of Zygarde-EX FCO and Zygarde-GX FOL and Carbink BREAK FCO...

Two, Wobbuffet PHF/GEN and its ability.

^ Should I look harder for any more candidates for potential toxins? Or, if either combo does too well, do you think it is right to be concerned about said cards in terms of it/them going down from Expanded by the ban hammer after the NA Internationals pass into the books of history?

They're almost certainly talking about Zoroark-GX, which has taken 60-70% of top 8 finishes in expanded events since its release, the deck is obviously broken in expanded. Beyond the broken factor, Zoroark arguably also has non-interactive play going against it which is the main reason that they ban cards. Non-interactivity is the reason why they banned Shiftry, why they banned FOGP and why they banned Archeops. They don't like decks that can completely shut down the majority of decks in the game on t1/2 with no/limited potential for counterplay, they're not fun to play against.

When they talk about 'potentially problematic' my guess is they're giving Buzzwole buffs a chance to help thin out the Zoroark play, but they probably won't. Buzzwole sees limited expanded play as it is despite having been around for most of Zoroarks' existence. I'd say it's about a 80% chance that they will ban eggs, 15% chance they ban Sky Field and 5% chance they ban Zoroark-GX. Plumelock was generally trash after Guardians Rising was released because of how many items you had to play to get the first turn lock, they still banned FOGP as it fell off into expanded because it promoted a toxic playstyle.