• Good idea, bad fanfic (3 stars)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just stop. Please. (1 star)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

42 chocolate

nope
Setting
Dreamland, after the great war against Nightmare. Tiff is 14, and Kirby is fully capable of talking and became great friends with Meta Knight. Customer Service has long since disappeared...
Characters
The Protagonists
Kirby-A Pink, round puffball, known to all of Dreamland. He has stopped his habit of eating everything in sight, and can now control his hunger. He's more interested in Star Warrior techniques.
Meta Knight-Also known as the greatest Star Warrior that ever lived. He died of a sickness shortly after the war against Nightmare, but his spirit came back to Dreamland as a ghost to assist Kirby in Star Warrior training. Kirby is the only one who can see his ghost, though everyone can hear it.
Tiffany Ebrum-A 14-year old girl who takes life as it is and doesn't complain. After the war, she adopted an optimistic attitude... that is, until Meta Knight died. Tiff was in despair for many days, but has gotten over it since and resumed her optimistic attitude. She bursts into tears if anyone mentions Meta Knight.
Tuff Ebrum-A 12-year old boy who is intellegent and cautious, but with a pessimistic attitude. He didn't mind Meta Knight's death as much as Tiff, but cried for days on end when Kirby left to train as a Star Warrior. He taught Kirby how to speak.
The Antagonists
King Dedede-A fat, overweight king. His only goal in life now is to get rid of Kirby, who has caused him the loss of most of his money.
Escargoon-A skeptical snail. He went broke when he was twenty, forcing him to work for King Dedede. He despises his occupation and hopes to quit soon.
The Unknown
Waddle "Sailor" Dee-A Waddle Dee that runs a business. He claims to be a detective, but in reality will do anything-as long as he's offered gold, or at least something that looks like it, as with all Waddle Dees.
Customer Service-Former businessman for Nightmare Enterprises. After the war, he disappeared.

The Story​
Prologue
Detective Waddle “Sailor” Dee leaned back in his chair, his feet placed on his desk. His mouth went up and down rapidly in chewing motions as his teeth indented the breath-enhancing gum on his tongue. His right hand was occupied with spinning a quarter in the palm of his left, and a very casual look was on his face.

Suddenly, the door to his office was pushed open rapidly. He didn’t mind, it happened all the time.

“I really need to get a revolving door,” he thought, as he looked up to greet his customer. The door slammed with an unpleasant thud. The customer standing in front of the doorway was a girl, somewhere around the age of fourteen or fifteen. Her blonde hair was tied back into a neat ponytail, with orange and green highlights going in a zigzag direction. She wore a sweater and jeans, and she was only around four or five feet tall.

Dee maintained his previous activities, expression, and pose. According to him, “A private eye doesn’t need to look nice. They just need to get the job done, and do it correctly.”

The girl leaned against the wall, arms folded.

“Hello, Dee,” she said. Her voice was high, like a little girl’s, but there was something familiar in it. “Tiffany Ebrum,” she continued, sticking out her hand, “I believe we’ve met before.”

Dee immediately sat up in his chair. The quarter went flying backwards into the wall, and Dee almost fell out of his chair.

“Tiff?” he asked incredulously. Slowly, he recognized her ponytail, her face, and eyes, which were the same beautiful eyes that every boy in Dreamland except her brother, Tuff, had fallen for five years ago. “Boy, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen you!” Dee continued.

“I need a job done,” Tiff said, no hint of happiness in her voice, “and you’re the best option.”

“What kind of job, Tiff?” Sailor Dee asked, starting to lean back in his chair once more.

“I go by Tiffany now,” Tiff said coldly, “and the job I need done…” she paused.

“Yes?” Dee asked, prompting her to continue.

“…is a murder,” Tiff completed.

“A murder?” Dee asked, raising his eyebrows. “I’ll see what I can do. But first, I’ve got two questions for you,” he said, and jumped out of his chair. He was hardly taller than his desk, and he could just barely see his client anymore. While walking around his desk, he continued with one of the questions. “The first,” he said, “is ‘Who?’”

“Well, first, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of Escargoon, Dedede, castle guards, and those guys. But then, I realized that the one I want murdered,” she said, smiling in anticipation of Dee’s surprise, “is Kirby.”

Dee jumped about five feet in the air.

“WHAT?” he cried, landing on his feet spectacularly.

“You heard me right, Kirby. No more questions now. What’s the second question, anyways?” Tiff inquired, starting to lean against the wall again.

“The second question,” he began, pausing for dramatic effect, “is ‘How much?’”

Tiff took out an open sack and dropped it in front of Dee. It contained more than five pounds of rocks, sparkling with gold. Sailor Dee’s eyes shined with glee just from looking at the gold.

“I’ll get to it right away!” he said, and rushed out the door.

Tiff looked around, then put her hands to her face and pulled her entire body right off as a costume. King Dedede stood there in her place, having known that only a familiar face and gold would convince Waddle “Sailor” Dee, private eye.

Escargoon slid into the room enthusiastically.

“Do you really think he’ll do it, sire?” he asked, nervously excited.

“Of course,” King Dedede replied, and laughed joyfully. “Waddle Dees will do anything for gold, even if it’s just Pyrite! They don’t care what it really is; they just like to look at it.”

“Oh!” Escargoon exclaimed in realization, “so is that where all your gold has been going?”

“Nonsense!” King Dedede shouted, and whacked Escargoon on the head with his hammer. As a red lump somehow appeared on Escargoon’s head, King Dedede continued to talk.

“Only you and I know the combination to the safe. I’ve been spending the gold!” the King exclaimed.

“On what, sire?” Escargoon questioned, rubbing his head.

“On provisions for our little ‘sailor’ friend,” King Dedede answered.

“Well, at least you’re not spending it on monsters,” Escargoon said, rolling his eyes.

“Of course I ain’t!” King Dedede shouted, and brought the hammer down on Escargoon’s head a second time.

“I really wish he’d stop doing that,” Escargoon thought as a second red lump formed on his head. As if reading Escargoon’s mind, King Dedede put down his mallet.

“You know, Escargoon,” Kind Dedede said thoughtfully, “maybe you shouldn’t work for me. Maybe I could find you a new job so you wouldn’t keep annoying me with your intelligence,” he finished.

Escargoon attempted not to appear too excited.

“That’s a good idea, sire,” Escargoon commented, and quickly added, “anything for your benefit.”

King Dedede laughed and shook his head.

“Oh, Escargoon,” he laughed, “you’re the most gullible snail I have ever met.”

An expression of shock crossed Escargoon’s face. His eyebrows raised and his eyes widened.

“Wh-what do you mean, sire?” he asked nervously.

“I mean that there’s no better servant on the entire planet, and I’m not about to let you go find another job.” The king snickered and walked out of the small office.

Escargoon stood there, paralyzed from the shock. His mouth was hanging open, and he was blinking more often than usual. After a few seconds, he regained his senses and slid out of the office after King Dedede.

RE: Kirby Fic (Untitled as of yet)

Very well done 42C.

My only advice is try spacing it up. It looks like it is such a chore to read with such big, blocky walls of text.

Otherwise, awesome story.

Chapter 1
The building in which Star Warriors were recruited to be put through rigorous training was a large, grey one with several windows. Kirby stood in front of it, paralyzed with fear. He turned to Meta Knight’s ghost, which had a faint purple outline, for reassurance.

“Don’t worry,” the ghost comforted, “I was nervous my first day of training too. All you have to do is go in there, and then… just don’t turn back. Don’t change your mind, or you’ll regret it for the rest of your life.” The ghost smiled and waved at Kirby before fading away.

“Meta Knight’s right,” thought Kirby, beginning to walk towards the building, “if I don’t go through with this, I’ll regret it for the rest of my life.”

When Kirby arrived at the door, he yanked it open and walked inside. He was taken aback at the amount of creatures there were in the first room. They varied in all shapes and sizes, and they were all occupied with something. Scouting the room, he spotted two young boys that were the same species as him talking to each other enthusiastically. He ran over to them, passing through various creatures, from tiny to humongous, from extremely thin to overly obese, and waved.

One turned to look at Kirby, and the other followed suit.

“Who are you?” the first boy, who was yellow, asked, wrinkling his nose.

“Yeah, who are you? You smell,” the second boy, who was green, commented.

“I’m Kirby,” Kirby said, the joy having gone out of his face.

“Well, ‘Kirby’, we hate you,” the first boy said, and pushed him roughly backwards. Kirby fell on his back and struggled to get up.

“Yeah, ‘Kirby’,” jeered the second boy, and kicked Kirby away.

Kirby rolled through the dense forest of creatures, and after what seemed like endless rolling, he finally came to a halt at the wall.

“Those boys were the meanest I have ever met,” thought Kirby, and struggled to stand again. His huge red feet surprisingly weighed less than his air-filled body, or else he would’ve been on his feet already. After several attempts, he decided it was hopeless and simply lied there on the floor motionless, waiting for someone to notice him.

Pumpkins, round pumpkins, sat on the Ebrum family’s front porch. One lit up with the face of Meta Knight, the other with the face of Kirby. Every child who lived in Cappy Town knew at least one of the Ebrum family children. Tiff was a girl, fourteen years old, who kept to herself and hardly befriended everyone. Every boy in town, except her brother, was in love with Tiff, whether it be for her looks or personality (both were desirable.) All of the boys that were her age had asked her out on a date at one point, and she had rejected them all. She was waiting for someone, a very special someone who had been with her since he was a baby. A relationship may not have been possible for them, but she loved him all the same, though she knew he would never come.

Tuff, on the other hand, was friends with every boy in town. He was the most widely known boy in the entire state. He was the popular boy at school, and constantly went to hang out in groups. He was one of the “bad boys,” or so Tiff said, but he didn’t care.

The pumpkin illuminated with the face of Meta Knight belonged to Tiff. It was a memoir of Meta Knight himself, carved delicately and precisely. She had carved it herself to make sure every feature was anatomically correct of the late Star Warrior. Meta Knight had been Kirby’s mentor, and Tiff remembered him very clearly in her mind, from the markings on his mask to the color of his wings. She had only seen him with his mask off at his funeral. He looked just like Kirby, except with many scars, and dark blue instead of pink. Meta Knight had died of a sickness shortly after Nightmare was defeated. Tiff had locked herself in her room for two weeks, coming out only to eat and use the restroom, and occasionally she would take a meal back into her room.

The candles around the neighborhood were being put out, one by one, but the Ebrum family’s pumpkins continued to burn, the second with the face of Kirby. This was Tuff’s pumpkin, as a reminder that Kirby would come back as a fully trained Star Warrior from the four years of rigorous Star Warrior training he had decided to take.
The front door opened, and Tuff stepped out to dim the pumpkins. He started with the Kirby one, it being his favorite, and blew on the candle as hard as he could. It went out almost immediately. Satisfied, Tuff moved on to blow out the Meta Knight pumpkin when he noticed a small figure coming up the front walk.

“Go away!” Tuff shouted, “We’re not handing out anymore candy!”

The figure, rather than turning around and leaving, continued walking towards Tuff. As it got closer, Tuff recognized it more and more. It was simply a Waddle Dee, wearing a Sailor’s hat.

“Hello,” it greeted Tuff when it reached him, “is Kirby in residence?”

No comments yet? =(
Ch. 2 should be up soon.

EDIT: On the poll, I'm only going to listen to your vote if you post here explaining it.

42 chocolate said:
No comments yet? =(
Ch. 2 should be up soon.

EDIT: On the poll, I'm only going to listen to your vote if you post here explaining it.

Only listen if I post? Fair enough.

1. Why would Tiff want Kirby dead? According to the anime, the Warp Star can only be controlled by someone who loves Kirby, for Kirby. Tiff is the one who controls the Warp Star, so I fail to see how someone who loves another would want them dead.

2. Okay, according to Meta Knight, he was the last Star Warrior left alive in the first war against Nightmare. The only thing that kept him alive was the knowledge that he would never be the last. He went to Dreamland/Pupupuland/Cappy Town whatever you want to call it because the presence of Demon Beasts would attract the star ship of any new Star Warrior. The only one that showed up was Kirby, and he showed up, what, 1,000 years before he should have. Which makes him and Meta Knight the last Star Warriors left. So where did all the others come from? And, followup question: Even if there's an explanation as to why there are others, why are they needed? The whole point of the Star Warrior army was to take down Nightmare and his legions of Demon Beasts. With him gone, is there really any point to Star Warriors?

3. Okay, this point isn't as serious as the others. Why exactly did you kill off Meta Knight? I mean, seriously. He survived 2 bloody wars against Nightmare and several things in between just to die from some random illness? That just doesn't seem right. o.o

Other than that, I suppose it's an okay fic.

Hmm... you've got some good points there. Here are some answers:
1. It's not Tiff who wants Kirby dead. It's King Dedede disguised as Tiff. Sailor Dee doesn't know Tiff as well as he thinks, which is why he believed "her." He's also doing it for the gold pyrite.
2. Good point there. =S I don't believe I can answer to that one.
3. It's for the sake of the story. Hey, in Harry Potter, Dumbledore survived what, five duels against Voldemort? and he asked Snape to kill him because he would've died from a curse/illness anyways.

42 chocolate said:
Hmm... you've got some good points there. Here are some answers:
1. It's not Tiff who wants Kirby dead. It's King Dedede disguised as Tiff. Sailor Dee doesn't know Tiff as well as he thinks, which is why he believed "her." He's also doing it for the gold pyrite.
2. Good point there. =S I don't believe I can answer to that one.
3. It's for the sake of the story. Hey, in Harry Potter, Dumbledore survived what, five duels against Voldemort? and he asked Snape to kill him because he would've died from a curse/illness anyways.

1. Okay, the story wasn't clear.
2. derp
3. Well, I'm not a big fan of the epic win swordsman getting killed off by some random sickness. >O

Also, I have another point. The only reason that Kirby needed any training whatsoever was because he woke from his coma in his starship 1,000 years early. Had he woken up on time, he would have just as much knowledge as Meta Knight as far as language and fighting skills. So to make up for it, he actually learned while he was fighting against the demon beast hordes. So it's a bit of a learn-as-you-go kind of thing. So, my question is, why the heck is there a Star Warrior academy thingy when Star Warriors are supposed to be born with the knowledge of how to fight?

Correction about the Warp Star. Tiff controlled it in the anime because

1) She cared about Kirby
2) Kirby was too young to call upon it himself

Anyway, it's a good story, so I'll check to see how this story is doing.

Sweet Dawn Berlitz said:
Correction about the Warp Star. Tiff controlled it in the anime because

1) She cared about Kirby
2) Kirby was too young to call upon it himself

Anyway, it's a good story, so I'll check to see how this story is doing.

If I may, I use the Japanese version of the anime as my source. In there, Meta Knight directly says that Kirby cannot control the Warp Star by himself, it has to be controlled by someone who loves him. It's probably different in the US version, I wouldn't know since I didn't watch it too much. :F

The Fallen One said:
1. Okay, the story wasn't clear.
2. derp
3. Well, I'm not a big fan of the epic win swordsman getting killed off by some random sickness. >O

Also, I have another point. The only reason that Kirby needed any training whatsoever was because he woke from his coma in his starship 1,000 years early. Had he woken up on time, he would have just as much knowledge as Meta Knight as far as language and fighting skills. So to make up for it, he actually learned while he was fighting against the demon beast hordes. So it's a bit of a learn-as-you-go kind of thing. So, my question is, why the heck is there a Star Warrior academy thingy when Star Warriors are supposed to be born with the knowledge of how to fight?

lol, "derp?"

You do have good points, and you are quite a harsh critic :S I'm the same way though. Plus, criticism is what helps us get better. Anyways, Chapter 2 should be up sometime this week.

EDIT: Forgot to thank SDB for the positive comments. I believe blazifan should post here explaining his vote ;D

42 chocolate said:
lol, "derp?"

You do have good points, and you are quite a harsh critic :S I'm the same way though. Anyways, Chapter 2 should be up sometime this week.

Sorry if I'm a die-hard fan, I just really <3 the show. Don't mind me too much I just like to nitpick at details. :F

Ah, sorry about the wait. Here's chapter 2:

Chapter 2
Warning: Character… Death? Some scenes may not be appropriate for children under 10

“Sire,” Escargoon began, “are you sure this is going to work? I have quite a few doubts.”
King Dedede folded his arms. “Do tell, Escargoon.”

“Well, first off, that particular Waddle Dee is quite smart, smarter than other Waddle Dees, and he may know it’s Pyrite.”

King Dedede slapped Escargoon across the face. “They don’t care!” He yelled, and sat down on his throne. He reclined it until he was staring up at the ceiling. “What’s your other doubt?”

“Well, sire,” Escargoon began again, his head continuing to wobble from the slap, “Kirby has gone into Star Warrior training. I highly doubt that this Waddle Dee will be able to find him.”

At this, King Dedede burst into laughter and slapped the arm of his throne.

“Escargoon, this Waddle Dee, as you said, knows more than any other Waddle Dee. Trust me, he’ll find Kirby,” King Dedede finished, looking at Escargoon expectantly.

“I have a final doubt, sire,” Escargoon responded coldly, “what if he finds Tiff first?”

“He’s not home,” Tuff said. An expression of mixed disappointment and confusion crossed the Waddle Dee’s face.

“Can I talk to Tiff?” It asked, walking towards the door.

“Sure,” Tuff almost immediately replied, and guided it to Tiff’s room. The Waddle Dee casually knocked on the door.

“Hold on!” Tiff yelled through the door. In a matter of minutes, she opened it, her face red. Through the doorway, Tuff could see the detailed pumpkin that had belonged to Tiff, rotten. “What?” Tiff asked, looking down at the Waddle Dee. Her voice gave evidence that she had been crying.

“I’m afraid I have not found Kirby,” the Waddle Dee said, bowing deeply at Tiff’s feet. Tiff’s face twisted into puzzlement.

“Huh?” she asked, rubbing her eyes.

“You came into my office earlier today,” the Waddle Dee answered, “and asked me to kill Kirby.”

“She did WHAT?!” It was Tuff who spoke this time, angered.

“I did no such thing,” Tiff replied promptly, and slammed the door shut.

Before Kirby knew what was happening, he was carried through a long hallway with many doors on either side. Somehow, Kirby knew that whoever was cradling him in their arms was heading for one at the end of the hallway. It was a set of double doors, and it had a bad aura around it. Kirby felt like escaping, but he couldn’t find enough strength, and simply lay there, vulnerable, in the arms of his carrier.

When they finally reached the door at the end of the hallway, the creature carrying him set him on the floor and pushed the doors open to reveal a labyrinth of robotic monsters. He picked Kirby up again and carried him into the room, then pressed a button to close the doors and set Kirby down on the ground. Kirby finally got a good look at the one who had brought him where he now was. He was about Kirby’s height, and his grey skin contrasted deeply with his blue suit. Six green lines crossed his purple hair, and his glasses concealed his eyes.

“Hello, Kirby,” he said, grinning, “I’m Customer Service. But you can just call me CS for short.”

“All right, everything’s all cleared up now,” Sailor Dee reassured, putting his hat back on and winking. “No wonder the fake you gave me Pyrite. Whoever it was must be a fool,” he finished, and laughed lightly.

Tiff guided Dee to the front door, and turned the handle.

“Thanks again for clearing that up,” Dee repeated, rephrasing the sentence. Tiff opened the door, and stared at the front step, her eyes wide with fear.

Carefully laid out across the front step was the body of Chef Kawasaki. An opening had been strategically cut across his throat, and his own blood had been used to write a message across his body.

Thanks for your lives, citizens of Cappy Town.
~DF

Sweet Dawn Berlitz said:
I wonder why someone would kill Kawasaki. It's getting interesting to say the least.

Yeah, this is a very interesting fic.But mabye it could be more exciting when the Waddle Dee finds out he's only got pyrite? Just saying...

Much of Chapter Two is merely plot development, and although I can't really touch on the dialogue in this case, I did spot this:

42 chocolate said:
Before Kirby knew what was happening, he was carried through a long hallway with many doors on either side. Somehow, Kirby knew that whoever was cradling him in their arms was heading for one at the end of the hallway. It was a set of double doors, and it had a bad aura around it. Kirby felt like escaping, but he couldn’t find enough strength, and simply lay [should be "laid"] there, vulnerable, in the arms of his carrier.
Beyond "find" and "laid," the first of your truly descriptive paragraph have very boring verbs stuck in the paragraph. I recently gave Seth a similar lecture on this; it would behoove you to read it, to know that switching the subjects around by NOT focusing on Kirby would paint a better picture. also, if you remove the boring "it," you get this:

Before Kirby knew what was happening [Eh, I'm too lazy to fix this], arms carried him through a long hallway with many doors on either side. His captor was apparently making his way to the end of the hallway [I combined the sentences to avoid the ugly "it"], a set of double doors and [no need to have another "it"] a bad aura around it. Kirby felt like escaping but he couldn’t find enough strength, and simply lay there, vulnerable, in the arms of his carrier.[That sentence is beyond repair. I suggest removing it altogether and reword] Kirby attempted to struggle out, but his strength had deserted him, simply laid there, vulnerable, in the arms of his carrier.

Pause with your writing and always make sure you don't just write without trying to add in more interesting words.

Back