Help Review of my First Competitive Team

supermattdab0ss

Sylveon is da b0ss
Thank you everyone for helping me out. I am done now and need a review of the team. What changes need to be made?

(lead Eevee and Omastar)

Modest Sylveon @Choice Specs (Special Sweeper)
Pixilate
252 SpA 244 HP 12 Speed
Hyper voice
Protect
Swift
Subsitute

Impish Aggron @Aggronite (Tank)
Sturdy (Mega evolution ---> Filter)
252 HP 4 D 252 Spe
Heavy Slam
Thunder wave
Avalanche
Earthquake

Timid Eevee @Eeveeuim Z (Set up baton passer)
Adaptability
212 Hp 204 SpD 92 SpA
Last Resort
Baton pass
Protect
Stored Power

Timid Manaphy @Leftovers (Special sweeper)
Hydration
252 SpA 4 HP 252 Spe
Tail Glow
Surf
Psychic
Rain Dance

Open, looking for powerful physical sweeper with type coverage for my weaknesses

Timid Omastar @Focus Sash (Hazard setter)
Shell Armor
4 Hp 252 SpA 252 SpD
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Shell Smash
Scald

Thanks!

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Hi there, :)

Ok so I understand that this is for a 3v3 single battle?
If so, then you use your Eevee first in the battle, then use the Zmove and then use Baton Pass to get all the stat boosts to either Aggron or Sylveon. However, this might be difficult because you will need to survive 1-2 hits to do so.. and it is Eevee after all. If you still interested in using this strategy, I would definitely recommend investing most EV's in Eevee's HP and Defense/Special defense. Other than this strategy, Eevee has no place in any competitive team.

Of course that in the case that you do use Zmove Eevee, Aggron should be a physical attacker with lots of Attack ev's and the other in HP/Defense, while Sylveon is the same only with Special attack ev's instead of Attack evs. Notice though that both Aggron and Sylveon are very slow. You might want to try and get at least one faster alternative to use for what is called "revenge kill", which can happen a lot in 3v3 battles.

Good nature for Aggron should be: Adamant, Careful or Impish
Good nature for Sylveon should be: Modest, Bold or Calm.

supermattdab0ss

Sylveon is da b0ss
Hi there, :)

Ok so I understand that this is for a 3v3 single battle?
If so, then you use your Eevee first in the battle, then use the Zmove and then use Baton Pass to get all the stat boosts to either Aggron or Sylveon. However, this might be difficult because you will need to survive 1-2 hits to do so.. and it is Eevee after all. If you still interested in using this strategy, I would definitely recommend investing most EV's in Eevee's HP and Defense/Special defense. Other than this strategy, Eevee has no place in any competitive team.

Of course that in the case that you do use Zmove Eevee, Aggron should be a physical attacker with lots of Attack ev's and the other in HP/Defense, while Sylveon is the same only with Special attack ev's instead of Attack evs. Notice though that both Aggron and Sylveon are very slow. You might want to try and get at least one faster alternative to use for what is called "revenge kill", which can happen a lot in 3v3 battles.

Good nature for Aggron should be: Adamant, Careful or Impish
Good nature for Sylveon should be: Modest, Bold or Calm.
So I am going to have a team of 6 I didn’t know where to go from where I was at. I will split Eevee’s EVs 170 D SpD HP. Another thing I am confused on is hyper voice, and how sylveon can get it. And movesets in general. Thanks.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
So I am going to have a team of 6 I didn’t know where to go from where I was at. I will split Eevee’s EVs 170 D SpD HP. Another thing I am confused on is hyper voice, and how sylveon can get it. And movesets in general. Thanks.
Under SMogon OU rules, Baton Pass is banned, but it's okay in Battle Spot formats and I'll rate it as such. More info on Smogon OU here: http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/ou/

If you're using Evoboost Eevee, it should look like this:
-Last Resort
-Stored Power
-Baton Pass
-Substitute/Protect
Nature: Timid
EVs: 212 HP/92 SAtk/204 Spe
Item: Eevium Z
Ability: Anticipation

The above EVs let Eevee outspeed Modest Choice Scarf Tapu Lele after an Evoboost under Tailwind, as well as OHKO Toxapex with Stored Power after the Evoboost. Splitting 170 EVs among Eevee's stats is rather inefficient in this case.

I'd rather not use Mega Aggron as the Evoboost recipient because even though Filter helps with its weaknesses, its defensive typing is horrible pre-Mega Evolution. Better Evoboost recipients are Espeon and Mega Salamence/Mega Kangaskhan as the former has Magic Bounce to deter status moves and the latter two are very strong on their own (both even have decent Speed post-Mega Evolution, something that Aggron lacks), making your team less reliant on Extreme Evoboost to be successful:

Kangaskhan:
-Double-Edge/Return
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch/Rock Slide
-Power-up Punch/Fake Out
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Kanghaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy

Salamence:
-Draco Meteor
-Double-Edge/Return
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Earthquake/Hyper Voice/Roost/Substitute
Nature: Rash/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate

You get Hyper Voice on Sylveon by move tutor in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire in Gen VI, then transferring it via Poke Bank to Sun/Moon. However, as I mentioned before, Espeon is a better fit over it because of Magic Bounce:
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power/Psychic
-Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam
-Morning Sun
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce

As far as I'm concerned, Marshadow is an Uber Pokemon, meaning it's not suited for an OU team like this.

Alakazam is better with a Timid nature to make the most out of its excellent 150 Speed:
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Substitute/Calm Mind/Hidden Power (Fire)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard

supermattdab0ss

Sylveon is da b0ss
Under SMogon OU rules, Baton Pass is banned, but it's okay in Battle Spot formats and I'll rate it as such. More info on Smogon OU here: http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/ou/

If you're using Evoboost Eevee, it should look like this:
-Last Resort
-Stored Power
-Baton Pass
-Substitute/Protect
EVs: 212 HP/92 SAtk/204 Spe
Item: Eevium Z
Ability: Anticipation

The above EVs let Eevee outspeed Modest Choice Scarf Tapu Lele after an Evoboost under Tailwind, as well as OHKO Toxapex with Stored Power after the Evoboost. Splitting 170 EVs among Eevee's stats is rather inefficient in this case.

I'd rather not use Mega Aggron as the Evoboost recipient because even though Filter helps with its weaknesses, its defensive typing is horrible pre-Mega Evolution. Better Evoboost recipients are Espeon and Mega Salamence/Mega Kangaskhan as the former has Magic Bounce to deter status moves and the latter two are very strong on their own (both even have decent Speed post-Mega Evolution, something that Aggron lacks), making your team less reliant on Extreme Evoboost to be successful:

Kangaskhan:
-Double-Edge/Return
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch/Rock Slide
-Power-up Punch/Fake Out
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Kanghaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy

Salamence:
-Draco Meteor
-Double-Edge/Return
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Earthquake/Hyper Voice/Roost/Substitute
Nature: Rash/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Salamencite

You get Hyper Voice on Sylveon by move tutor in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire in Gen VI, then transferring it via Poke Bank to Sun/Moon. However, as I mentioned before, Espeon is a better fit over it because of Magic Bounce:
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power/Psychic
-Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam
-Morning Sun
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Ability: Magic Bounce

As far as I'm concerned, Marshadow is an Uber Pokemon, meaning it's not suited for an OU team like this.

Alakazam is better with a Timid nature to make the most out of its excellent 150 Speed:
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Substitute/Calm Mind/Hidden Power (Fire)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Thanks I will rake this into consideration. I will NOT use espeon because sylveon is one of my favorite Pokemon. I don’t have ORAS, I will see if yakkov can do me a little favor. Thanks for the feedback.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
Thanks I will rake this into consideration. I will NOT use espeon because sylveon is one of my favorite Pokemon. I don’t have ORAS, I will see if yakkov can do me a little favor. Thanks for the feedback.

USUM is going to have move tutors, Hyper Voice is probably going to be one of them, so you might only have to wait until later this week.

supermattdab0ss

Sylveon is da b0ss
USUM is going to have move tutors, Hyper Voice is probably going to be one of them, so you might only have to wait until later this week.
Unfortunately I won’t be able to get USUM soon, I will probably buy it in black friday so I can get a couple or shining legends packs. Yakkov got it for me, that guy is awesome,

supermattdab0ss

Sylveon is da b0ss
I have finished the list, and would like to know what you all think of my manaphy. It is a dive aqua ring leftovers stall, however smogon recomends a SpA manaphy due to it’s limited physical attacks. But, dive can stall the heck out of anything with aqua ring while hitting moderately. Any sugestions?

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
I have finished the list, and would like to know what you all think of my manaphy. It is a dive aqua ring leftovers stall, however smogon recomends a SpA manaphy due to it’s limited physical attacks. But, dive can stall the heck out of anything with aqua ring while hitting moderately. Any sugestions?
Dive is way too easily played around because something that resists Water can easily switch into Dive on the second turn. Tail Glow + Rain Dance is still Manaphy's best set due to the raw power it provides, but it's best played in Aurora Veil teams. If you want to have a bulky Water Pokemon on the team, you have Tapu Fini, which can break stall with the combination of Taunt and Nature's Madness, Toxapex for general bulkiness, Wash Rotom for Defog (it gained Defog as a tutor move), and Araquanid for setting up Sticky Web for offensive teams (it gained it as an egg move in Ultra Sun/Moon):

Tapu Fini:
-Scald/Defog
-Moonblast
-Taunt
-Nature's Madness
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 Spe

Toxapex:
-Scald
-Toxic/Haze
-Toxic Spikes/Baneful Bunker
-Recover
Nature: Calm/Bold
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef or 248 HP/196 Def/64 SDef
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator

Wash Rotom:
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Defog
-Will-o-Wisp/Pain Split
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/200 Def/60 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Iapapa Berry

Araquanid:
-Sticky Web
-Liquidation
-Toxic
-Magic Coat
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 104 HP/252 Atk/152 Spe
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble

12 Speed EVs are enough for Sylveon to outspeed 0 Speed Tyranitar; the rest of the EVs should go into HP.

I'd rather use Ferrothorn over Aggron, as Grass/Steel gives Ferrothorn better switch-in opportunities:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Knock Off/Protect
Nature: Sassy/Careful/Relaxed/Impish
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef or 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Ability: Iron Barbs

If you want a better Mega Evolving Steel Pokemon, there's Mawile, which hits a lot harder with Huge Power-backed attacks:
-Play Rough
-Sucker Punch/Ice Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Fire Fang/Focus Punch
EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
Item: Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter

or
-Swords Dance
-Play Rough
-Sucker Punch
-Knock Off/Thunder Punch
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe

Last edited:

supermattdab0ss

Sylveon is da b0ss
Dive is way too easily played around because something that resists Water can easily switch into Dive on the second turn. Tail Glow + Rain Dance is still Manaphy's best set due to the raw power it provides, but it's best played in Aurora Veil teams. If you want to have a bulky Water Pokemon on the team, you have Tapu Fini, which can break stall with the combination of Taunt and Nature's Madness, Toxapex for general bulkiness, Wash Rotom for Defog (it gained Defog as a tutor move), and Araquanid for setting up Sticky Web for offensive teams (it gained it as an egg move in Ultra Sun/Moon):

Tapu Fini:
-Scald/Defog
-Moonblast
-Taunt
-Nature's Madness
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 Spe

Toxapex:
-Scald
-Toxic/Haze
-Toxic Spikes/Baneful Bunker
-Recover
Nature: Calm/Bold
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef or 248 HP/196 Def/64 SDef
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator

Wash Rotom:
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Defog
-Will-o-Wisp/Pain Split
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/200 Def/60 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Iapapa Berry

Araquanid:
-Sticky Web
-Liquidation
-Toxic
-Magic Coat
EVs: 104 HP/252 Atk/152 Spe
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble

12 Speed EVs are enough for Sylveon to outspeed 0 Speed Tyranitar; the rest of the EVs should go into HP.

I'd rather use Ferrothorn over Aggron, as Grass/Steel gives Ferrothorn better switch-in opportunities:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Knock Off/Protect
Nature: Sassy/Careful/Relaxed/Impish
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef or 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Ability: Iron Barbs

If you want a better Mega Evolving Steel Pokemon, there's Mawile, which hits a lot harder with Huge Power-backed attacks:
-Play Rough
-Sucker Punch/Ice Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Fire Fang/Focus Punch
EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
Ability: Hyper Cutter

or
-Swords Dance
-Play Rough
-Sucker Punch
-Knock Off/Thunder Punch
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe
Thanks for the feedback! Aggron is non-negotiable, thanks anyway. I will move sylveon’s Spe to HP, with a little room for speed. I will also change manaphy to the OU on smogon. I really really like aggron’s sheer bulk, 230 defense is unstoppable against any non fire physical attacker. Thanks for the feedback! I am looking foward to this team.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks for the feedback! Aggron is non-negotiable, thanks anyway. I will move sylveon’s Spe to HP, with a little room for speed. I will also change manaphy to the OU on smogon. I really really like aggron’s sheer bulk, 230 defense is unstoppable against any non fire physical attacker. Thanks for the feedback! I am looking foward to this team.
If you're insistent on using Aggron in OU (hint: it's not good there, as other Steel Pokemon like Magearna and Stakataka outclass it in offensive roles), the Mega version is the best set to use. You'll have to replace Alakazam in that case, as you can only Mega Evolve one Pokemon per battle:
-Stealth Rock
-Heavy Slam/Iron Head
-Rock Slide/Earthquake/Fire Punch
-Avalanche/Thunder Wave
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
Item: Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy