Writing Fire Emblem: Awakening: PokéBeach Edition! All finished! Stay tuned for the next one...

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
hChh31O.png

Hello, and welcome! This thread will be the home of a Fire Emblem: Awakening playthrough that I will be writing for the PokéBeach community. What makes this playthrough different (and fun!) is that every character that I will use in my team (and maybe others, too!) will be chosen by members of the community, and named after them, too! If you ever wanted a chance to ride a pegasus, or help slay an evil dragon, well, having your username as a character in this playthrough is probably as close as you're ever going to get, so why not join in and have some fun?

This playthrough is meant to be light-hearted and humourous, and thus will not be quite as dense and long-winded as some of my previous playthroughs. It will still be told narratively, but there will be a higher focus on dialogue, and also on jokes and amusements. Come learn about war ethics from the guy who trusts an amnesiac he finds lying in the grass, and his master tactician who has no qualms are burning/drowning thousands of soldiers to their deaths!

NOTE: You do not need to be familiar with Fire Emblem as a series (or Awakening in particular) in order to take part and enjoy the playthrough! Even if you don't know anything about the games, you can read this as you would any other silly story, and I will provide enough background information for you to help throughout the way. However, as should be obvious, there will be spoilers of the game if you read along the whole way.

NOTE 2: You should also probably be warned in advantage that this Playthrough will likely be heavily PG-13, mostly as a result of language and alluded violence. I used the "Playthrough" prefix because overall, it's more appropriate, but if fantasy violence (not graphic at all, but here nonetheless) and/or occasional swearing offends you, this is your official warning.

Quick Introduction for the Newbies:

If you're not familiar with Fire Emblem, take a look in the spoiler for a quick overview about the series! Otherwise, feel free to skip to the next part.

fgfG7by.png

Fire Emblem is a turn-based strategy RPG made by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo. It's been around since the days of the original NES back in Japan, though it was first brought over to the Western world with the 7th game which was released on the GBA. The games take place in many different worlds, but all of them are similar to fairly standard western fantasy worlds, with knights, kingdoms, and magic. Typically, there will be a main "Lord" character who is the Main Character for a given game, and the rest of the units comprise a small, personal army of his for achieving some purpose, usually a destruction of some kind of evil being.

Where Fire Emblem really shines as a series is its mechanics. The player (either as a complete 4th wall entity or via an in-game character avatar) must guide the Lord and his units to victory by achieving certain objectives. Different characters in the game have various classes, and therefore strengths and weaknesses, that can be used to maximum benefit. The main difference between FE and a more traditional JRPG is that the party size is much larger, and the game is broken up into chapters where each chapter is one large battle. Within the battle, there are many enemies on the field, and individual combats are more simplified, with a single character attacking a certain enemy at a given time. Often, characters who die in combat are permanently dead and may not join again in later chapters, so you really need to develop good tactics and keep your team alive!

If you'd like to learn more about Fire Emblem or discuss the series, we have a thread for that here in PokéBeach's Long Term Topics section.

Our team is complete!

Chrom: Drohn
Athena: Athena
Mysterious Dude: IceEspeon
Henry: Keeper
Gaius: TT
Virion: Cinesra
Gregor: GM DracLord
Maribelle: professorlight
Cherche: PMJ
Tharja: Professor Palutena
Nowi: Celever

Before I even begin the playthrough, I will need your help making a team!

Not all characters join at the beginning of the game, but we will be aiming for a permanent team of 11 characters. 3 of these characters are forced and will be with the team no matter what. Click on the Spoiler button to see who they are!

SQly0cA.png

As you may have guessed from the image, one of these characters already has a member assigned, namely me! The "Avatar" character is customized at the start of the game and is meant to be a sort of version of the Player, so of course that gets to be me. :p

The eight other characters we will be playing with should be chosen from the following group of 23. Look in the spoiler to see a short introduction for all the available characters, or open this link in a new tab to see all the available characters in a single image.

All characters are listed in the order they arrive in the game, so to speak, so characters towards the top will get more screentime.

YhXSAOF.png

ChE0hAt.png

0uSE9ZG.png

ScZ5WCE.png

iBCFnWX.png

SOpfCnG.png

l82eq9k.png

7exLE45.png

Each person may submit up to 5 characters from this list to be in the Playthrough. You should assign Member names to everyone you submit as well! I would also like people to assign Member names to the two unnamed Main characters as well. Post your own ideas, and "Like" the posts of those people who post character/member suggestions that you like.

The final team will be chosen from the public submissions roughly based on popularity (most posts and like). However, there will be an even amount of male/female characters chosen from the group, even if more of either gender is suggested.

NOTE: Those of you who are already familiar with this game are welcome to suggest to me in private (either PM or Skype or whatever) member-name suggestions for characters who are not listed here, such as NPCs and the like.

Our ships are complete! <3

Athena x Chrom
Maribelle x Virion
Tharja x Gaius
Cherche x Gregor
Nowi x Henry

or, if you prefer...

Athena x Drohn
Prof. Light x Cinesra
Prof. Palutena x TT
PMJ x GM DracLord
Celever x Keeper

Look in the spoiler box for the original full text of this section.

If you've played this game before, you know what's coming. It's time to choose support pairings between our PCs! :D For those of your new to FE:A, click on the spoiler to read a bit about Fire Emblem's Support System and what special mechanics it offers for Awakening in particular:

As characters in Fire Emblem fight side by side, they form closer bonds. In game mechanics terms, these characters build up "Support Points" (just like they gain EXP). When enough points are earned (and if the two characters are "compatible"), those characters unlock a Support, and there is an accompanying conversation between the two characters followed by a raise in Support rank. In addition to learning more about the characters via these Support conversations, Supports also offer advantages in battles, making the characters better at assisting each other in combat. The higher the Support rank, the higher the bonus.

The first Support rank gained between 2 characters is a C, then B, then A. For same-sex Supports (and some opposite-gender Supports, such as siblings) A is as high as you can go. However, for most opposite-gendered supports, there is one level higher: S. Characters who get an S Support with each other declare their love for each other and get married, awwwwwww.

So, we have 11 characters, but the Mysterious Dude is sitting out for now (he's way too mysterious to take part in Support shenanigans), so that brings us to 10, 5 male and 5 female. Thus, everyone gets to make 5 pairs between our PCs/Members! :D Pairs must be male/female; the game does not offer support for homosexual relationships.

There is, however, 1 restriction. Of the available females, Chrom is only available to marry two of them: the Avatar (Athena) and Maribelle. He can't support any of the others, sadly. This also (obviously) means that Cherche, Nowi, and Tharja only have 4 males to choose from since they can't pair with Chrom. Everyone else is fair game! And do try not to feel too bad about marrying off Nowi.

So, everyone feel free to post your pairings here. Like PCs/Members, this will be decided democratically with the most posts deciding the winners, and "likes" will function as a tie-breaker.

What else do we get to do? :D

I will ask for help and advice from the community throughout the remainder of the game as well, most notably for the use of Master/Second Seals (read: class changing), and also further assistance at certain plot points throughout the game. If you choose, I may also play up and write out some DLC chapters (I'll list which ones I have when it becomes appropriate)

Game Info & Details

If you don't know what any of this stuff means, that's okay, don't worry about it.

1. This playthrough of FE:A will be played on Normal difficulty, Classic mode. This is mostly so I can focus on playing through the story and not have to worry about leveling or whatever, even if my team ends up shitty. Classic mode, though, because I'm not a filthy casual.
  2. I will not use any characters in battle besides the ones decided upon here, except for the chapters they appear if they're forced.
  3. I will only use Master/Second Seals for characters/classes approved by the readership, unless people stop following along, though at that point I'll probably just abandon the run and be sad.
  4. This isn't a speed or challenge run, so I'll be allowing the use of Barracks items, special Merchant items, Sparkly Tile items, Renown items (I have ~6k Renown), and also buying things from SpotPass shops if necessary (though I probably won't do much of that because I'm lazy).
  5. If you know this game and you have questions about how I'm going to handle certain spoilery bits that I haven't mentioned in the OP, feel free to either PM me or post about it here with spoiler tags, making sure that people know the spoiler tags are actually for, you know, spoilers.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

CHAPTERS! \o/

NOTE: All of the Chapters from the Prologue through Future Past 2 are bad links due to the forum move. They'll be updated... at some point. In the meantime, I've made them strikethroughs in hopes of discouraging people from clicking on them. All chapters can be read by scroll through the thread normally in the meantime; just look for the giant walls of text.

Last edited:
RE: Fire Emblem Awakening: PokéBeach Member Edition! Come help me with my team!

I didn't know how much I needed this playthrough until recently. And it looks like I'm the first one to voice my suggestions! Let's see... your army will need plenty of diversity, since getting stuck with seven sword-wielding soldiers would certainly become tedious after a while. Taking all that into consideration, why don't you include....

Lissa! Not only is she a pretty important character in the game (since she's Chrom's sister and all); no self-respecting army should be caught without a healer on their side, and the support she provides should prove immensely helpful. Plus, she makes a great Sage once promoted, allowing her to wield tomes, complimenting her formidable Magic stat.

Virion! Don't even get me started on this guy. Virion is hilariously funny due to how badly he manages to fail in his constant attempts to win over the ladies. He's also an Archer, and since there aren't very many of them in the earlier parts of the game (ignoring re-classing), he should be considered as an important member. If he's promoted to Bow Knight, he gets a horse too. How cool is that?

Gaius, played by myself, TwistedTurtwig! Well, someone's going to have to open all those chests for you! You don't want to leave behind any valuables, I'm sure. Gaius is also, unarguably, one of my favorite characters in the game. He moves quickly, hits hard, is hard to hit, opens locks, and has a quick wit on top of all that. What CAN'T he do? The answer to that question is nothing, of course. Ignoring my blatant favoritism, he'd make a great member of the crew. And because he's one of my favorites, I'd love to play his part.

Tharja! She's... very interesting, to say the least. Tharja may be clinically insane, I'm still not entirely sure. Having her around would certainly provide for some crazy antics during the playthrough. Not to mention, a Dark Mage is infinitely better than a plain old Mage, since they get the added bonus of sexy outfits wielding dark magic tomes in addition to the regular ones.

I'm still debating on who I'd like to pick as my fifth suggestion, as well as who to represent each of the characters. I'll think it over some more, and edit this post with any additions.

Before we start, I'd just like to say that I know absolutely nothing about this game, or the Fire Emblem series in general! I still want to read along though, since I just think it could be pretty fun :D

Sumia. I actually really like her from what I read in your OP. She really seems like the sort of person I could get along with, what with being an animal lover and a bit clumsy. Actually, I can relate to her pretty well! But yeah, this is my top pick, because she just seems really nice! n_n

Maribelle. I know enough about RPGs of this style to know that a healer is absolutely necessary, and I just prefer Maribelle over Lissa here. Every army could do with a bit of class to lighten the mood (because everyone laughs at classy people, especially people like soldiers :p) and she seems interesting in that she's a healer with a horse, and mobile healers are rare in RPGs I think.

Tharja. I'm choosing Tharja because of one reason: In a trailer somewhere for SSB43DS, Tharja's trophy was shown with her description, and it showed her buttocks in the model. In the final release, this trophy has been taken out to keep the lower age rating, which I think is just really funny. The fact that the development team thought that it would harm Tharja's character too much to just cover her up a bit has gotta mean she's totally crazy, right? I'm really interested to see what could happen leading on from this!

Cherche. Again, I actually just quite like Cherche. The fact that she's a servant is really cute, because Virion seems like a total slayer, and she likes wyverns! Maybe when she gets upgraded she'll actually be able to use wyverns in battle? I don't know, but it would be fantastic if that's a thing.

I'm stuck on my last one. I'm debating between Henry and Kellam right now, but I think it'll probably be Kellam because I don't want to duplicate dark mages.

I also don't really know about users yet...

You gotta do Henry. He's pants-on-head insane and it's amazing. If you're trying to make this playthrough as funny as possible, I'd consider Henry to be a total staple. I'd like to request myself for this character too.

In terms of funny lines, I think Gregor is another contender for his continuous references in the third person. I don't like him as a unit but he has some of the best lines.

Also Maribelle gets my vote for healer as long as she becomes a War Cleric. Nuns with Axes. What's not to love?

Henry
[img=400x200]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/009/3/d/fire_emblem_awakening_text_box_by_evergreen_symphony-d71kt2z.jpg[/img]
I realize I was ninja'd by PP, but I'm going to stick to my suggestion of Keeper of Night for the part.
My favorite character in the game. If not for his usefulness, simply for his lines. For maximum hilarity, he cannot be left out.

Maribelle
[img=400x200]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/pFfzGzgC3c8/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]
Maribelle is one of my favorite characters in FE. Good classes, and great personality shown through support convos.
Yeah, I don't have a name either, but only because girls are hard! Um... IceEspeon?

Gaius
[img=400x400]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/539/915/e78.png[/img]
I'll second the suggestion of TT for the part. I think I can see it.
Really a great character with good class options. He's never left out in my runs.

Donnel
[img=400x400]http://i.imgur.com/gcNxKPI.png[/img]
No other explanation needed. I suggest bbninjas.

Cordelia
Simply the mandatory suggestion of an offensive Gale Force user. So you don't, like, die, and stuffs. I guess I'll suggest... Luispipe8.

TwistedTurtwig said:
I'm still debating on who I'd like to pick as my fifth suggestion, as well as who to represent each of the characters. I'll think it over some more, and edit this post with any additions.

I'd actually prefer if you make a new post, if you don't mind. I'm afraid edit will get lost or not seen.

Celever said:
Tharja. I'm choosing Tharja because of one reason: In a trailer somewhere for SSB43DS, Tharja's trophy was shown with her description, and it showed her buttocks in the model. In the final release, this trophy has been taken out to keep the lower age rating, which I think is just really funny. The fact that the development team thought that it would harm Tharja's character too much to just cover her up a bit has gotta mean she's totally crazy, right? I'm really interested to see what could happen leading on from this!

FUN FACT: There's a DLC chapter wherein some of the cast are seen in artwork as bathing suits. Tharja's original artwork was deemed too "risqué" for American audiences, so the NA version of Awakening is censored. Funnily enough, I think the NA actually makes it look like she's wearing less than she is because of the placing of the carefully placed curtain; in the JP/PAL shot, she's just in a regular swimsuit bottom, so there's no ambiguity.

Can all 5 characters I suggest be Anna? If not I vote Virion, Gregor, Gaius, Tharja, and Henry.

Edit: Drohn for Chrom and Ice Arceus for Sumia pls.

Maribelle. Cause nuns with axes sound cool. I vote PMJ for this part.

Henry: Apparently a must have. Probably Keeper.

Ricken: I see this guy as Vom. IDKW.

Chrom: Drohn. Because saving an admin noone likes is obviously really hard...

Mysterious Dude: If Keeper isn't Henry, it makes sense for Keeper to be this guy. If Keeper is Henry, then I think Ice Espeon (the other evil Kingdoms guy) should be here.

DISCLAIMER: That Drohn thing is a joke (I have nothing against him). The suggestion's serious though :)

Cinesra said:
Can all 5 characters I suggest be Anna?

For raisins, Anna isn't available as a PC for this playthrough. :< Neither are Say'ri, Tiki, etc. You can probably guess why; if not, it'll be apparent once we start Part 2.

HOWEVER, people are still welcome (and encouraged!) to submit member names to me in private (PM or skype) for characters that aren't available as PCs, especially recurring NPCs and other potential PCs (those that weren't named in the OP and those that were but aren't voted in), since they'll still pop up in the story.

Later today, I'm going to compile a list of the characters/members nominated so far. In the meantime, everyone call your friends here and get them to vote! Even if they don't know FE (and even if they aren't planning on following along) they can still help pick characters and members for them, based on appearance and the little blurbs I wrote about them if nothing else. :p

Feel free to throw me anywhere, m or f, I am clueless about FE \o/

PMJ said:
Feel free to throw me anywhere, m or f, I am clueless about FE \o/

You can still nominate people, you know. Just do it based off of how they look and the little blurbs I wrote about them in the large spoilered images. :p

Apparently Athena worked hard to make those blurb things...

Actually, not really; it was super simple. >_> I just know that people like to sometimes do things off of personality as much as appearance. :p

You didn't have to say that :O Now PMJ won't bother :O

Here's our current list:

Guys:
Henry (4) - PP, KoN, Cinesra, bbninjas
Gauis (3) - TT, KoN, Cinesra
Virion (2) - TT, Cinesra
Gregor (2) - PP, Cinesra
Donnel - KoN
Ricken - bbninjas

Gals:
Maribelle (4) - Celever, PP, KoN, bbninjas
Tharja (3) - TT, Celever, Cinesra
Lissa - TT
Sumia - Celever
Cherche - Celever
Cordelia - KoN

Members:
Gaius as Twisted Turtwig (2) - TT, KoN
Chrom as Drohn (2) - Cinesra, bbninjas
Henry as Keeper of Night (2) - KoN, bbninjas
Henry as Professor Palutena - PP
Maribelle as IceEspeon - KoN
Maribelle as PMJ - bbninjas
Donnel as bbninjas - KoN
Cordelia as Luispipe8 - KoN
Sumia as Ice Arceus - Cinesra
Ricken as Vom - bbninjas
Mysterious Dude as Keeper of Night - bbninjas
Mysterious Dude as IceEspeon - bbninjas

You guys need to suggest more members! Virion and Gregor are both in the top 4 for males and don't have a single name suggestion, and Tharja is in the same boat and she has 3 votes. :p

Oh, I have to be specific. Yay.

Nominate:
Gaius - as TT
Virion - One Approved
Gregor - GM Draclord
Tharja - PP

Athena said:
For raisins, Anna isn't available as a PC for this playthrough. :< Neither are Say'ri, Tiki, etc. You can probably guess why; if not, it'll be apparent once we start Part 2.
You're making PokeBeach: Dating Sim Edition, aren't you?

For my last nomination, I pick Nowi. Because who doesn't love dragons? As a bonus, someone would end up as the little Manakete girl. Just picture the ensuing shenanigans!

As for people... Drohn as Chrom (even their names sound similar!), Keeper of Night as Henry (he's got a maniacal-enough sounding name, that's for sure), GM Draclord as Gregor (with the whole broken English thing, it's impossible to pass up), PMJ as Tharja (lel), professorlight as Maribelle (this one just feels right), Ice Espeon as Mysterious Dude (so mysterious~), Cinesra as Virion (also feels right), Celever as Nowi (heheheh), and Ricken as bbninjas (would work well as him).

TwistedTurtwig said:
For my last nomination, I pick Nowi. Because who doesn't love dragons? As a bonus, someone would end up as the little Manakete girl. Just picture the ensuing shenanigans!

As for people... Drohn as Chrom (even their names sound similar!), Keeper of Night as Henry (he's got a maniacal-enough sounding name, that's for sure), GM Draclord as Gregor (with the whole broken English thing, it's impossible to pass up), PMJ as Tharja (lel), professorlight as Maribelle (this one just feels right), Ice Espeon as Mysterious Dude (so mysterious~), Cinesra as Virion (also feels right), Celever as Nowi (heheheh), and Ricken as bbninjas (would work well as him).

I would also be fine as Ricken. Probably more preferable than whoever that weird guy Keeper used...

Back