Discussion Field Blower Counts in Standard Post Rotation

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
As we all know or mostly know, Garbotoxin is leaving Standard format after the upcoming rotation and at least isn't being reprinted in SM7, along with a lot of useful stadiums like Parallel City.

We are also losing some of the best Pokemon Tools like Fighting Fury Belt and Float Stone.

As far as post rotation is concerned, we're really only looking at Choice Band and a handful of theme specific stadiums like Brooklet Hill retaining their use.

All this being said, I've started to question whether or not Field Blower even deserves a spot in any deck anymore. The primary use would be to blow away Choice Band to reduce your opponent's momentum, but I wonder if that's even worth running copies.

I currently have 1 copy of Field Blower in all of my decks almost exclusively for Choice Band, but I'm starting to question whether or not that has value. A big part of me just constantly asks the question "Why not just run my own Choice Band and OHKO my opponent's Pokemon that has Choice Band to get rid of it?"

Long story short, I was wondering what people were planning on doing with their Field Blowers post rotation. Right now I'm thinking 1 at most, or perhaps simply cut it altogether for other cards since drawing into the 1 copy of field blower is now even more unlikely with overall draw power reduced.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts.

In my opinion it depends what the meta changes to and the new tool from sm7 but if all you are worried about is choice bands I wouldn't even run any just for consistency.

For now, Field Blower is definitely less useful with only Choice Band and certain stadiums being worth planning for most of the time. However, there may very well be something that comes up between now and SM11 (which would be the last set usable in next year's Worlds) that could make it return to prominence, so I wouldn't ditch the blower just yet.

Two Field Blower have been a staple in all of my decks, mostly to cope with Float Stones and Garbotoxin.
Specifically for my deck (Goomy/Kartana GX) I will keep playing to nullify my opponent’s attempts to OHKO my Kartana. Buzzwole doesn’t get far by hitting 160. With an FFB, he OHKO’s my Kartana. Field Blower stops that.
After rotation, I’m gonna stay with one to knock off some Choice Bands.

Escape Board might replace Float Stone in some decks.
Bodybuilding Dumbbells and Wish Baton would become very strong for some decks in a meta that decides to abandon Field Blower.
And, if you don't run stadiums for some reason, it's the only way to get them out.

All things considered, a single copy of Field Blower is always nice to have, while observing how the meta shapes itself up.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll hold onto 1 copy for now as well just to make sure I preplan deck space for it, and then adjust from there if it doesn't seem very important.

Honestly, the immediate post-rotation meta will be VERY Stadium saturated and low on tool counts.

It's basically 3-4 Choice Band and 3-4 of X Stadium.

I think most players are going treat Choice Band as more of an occupational hazard. And everyone will be packing their own Stadiums to win the Stadium war.

If anything, I see 1 Field Blower being put into decks, if they decide to run any at all.

Personally, I'm not running any in Beast Box

Well, after rotation, I'll still keep 2 field blowers in deck, in case one gets prized, not to mention that there's another factor to convince me to hang on to 2 Field Blowers, in case I can't Guzma it back to bench:

Regice – Water – HP120
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Ice Barrier
If this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, your opponent can’t play any Stadium cards from their hand.

[W][C][C] Icy Wind: 60 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

^ Speaking of, there will be a card due in "Dragon Majesty"/"Dragon Storm" that will allow you to move water energies from Bench to Active. Should this blend w/ Greninja-GX from FBL, Tapu Fini-GX from BSH, AND Rayquaza GRI, how can I deal w/ Brooklet Hill staying on w/ no way to put down an Altar of the Moone to help me out?

Quagsire – Water – HP120
Stage 1 – Evolves from Wooper

Ability: Wash Out
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may move a [W] Energy from 1 of your Benched Pokemon to your Active Pokemon.

[C][C][C] Hydro Pump: 60+ damage. This attack does 20 more damage for each [W] Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

^ Maybe the above is untrue. Or maybe it is true. But how can you win the stadium war if you can't put your Stadium down? If TPCi introduces a combo that makes stadiums stick w/o a blower, then I'd say having just one Field Blower post-rotation does not cut it, especially if it's prized... Maybe a future stadium blocker could be introduced that's more dangerous to decks that can only counter opposing stadiums w/ their own? Future is hard to predict w/o Jap translation reveals...

I don't really know if I consider Regice to be that big of a threat. Your opponent can't really do anything to you if they leave a Regice in the active all day and swing for 60 forever. If they do that and try to set up their bench, you can just set up your own bench (assuming Ultra Necrozma GX if you're bring up Altar of the Moone specifically), Guzma a more valuable KO into the active with your own set up Pokemon, play whatever stadium you have to play, and then just proceed as normal. Once your stadium is in play, yes of course your opponent can stadium war you, but it's not like you're going to get stadium locked the whole match. They're never going to win by just stadium locking and swinging for 60.

I wouldn't play field blower just because Regice exists. It seems like an incredibly fringe tech card that can easily be played around. I'd rather play 4 Guzma than any field blower if your concern is Pokemon with locks in the active, because at least all 4 Guzmas are useful throughout the whole game and in every match up and you aren't clogging your deck with 2 cards that only work in a very particular scenario of a water deck playing Regice. Not to mention Guzma is easily searchable where as Field Blower is not.

Back