Discussion Electric Excadrill?

Tryptofaan

Aspiring Trainer
XY5_EN_97.png

This guy is one the exclusive Pokémon which got the amazing Ancient Trait: Omega Barrage. Which let you attack twice. Although it isn't featured in a serious competitive deck since it release, the new set Ancient Origins has some nice toys for it.

And I am talking about Jolteon with its ability: Electric Effect. This ability gives Excadrill the Electric type and let it hit a lot for Weakness (Rayquaza for example). Another toy is Flareon with the same effect, but with the fire type advantage (For Sceptile).
1076027.jpg

So my question is, will this duo work? With Bronzong on the bench you can power up Excadrill quite fast. With Muscle Band and hitting for weakness it hits 240 fairly easy. Or will it be more an anti-meta deck, or won't work at all (too many stage 1 Pokémon)?

Well it will probably work but the thing is that Medicham does Excadrills job better.

Well it will probably work but the thing is that Medicham does Excadrills job better.
Not quite. Medicham does not hit for weakness, unless you have the Shrine of memories stadium in play. With that stadium Medicham can only hit with a 30 attack for weakness, which is low. Bronzing can speed up Excadrill on the bench so that the flow of attackers can be continuous. Medicham needs two turns for attachments, due to the lack of energy acceleration for fighting Pokémon.

Strong Energy + Muscle Band Smacks for 240 with weakness for one energy and you get to play the amazing fighting support with Korrina and Hawlucha plus fighting advantage against Manectric.

If you play Celebi EX or Shrine of Memories, and the latter takes away one of Fighting's greatest assets which is Fighting Stadium. Aside from that, Celebi EX is rotating fairly soon and in a primarily Fighting deck you do not want to play SoM if only because the +20 against EXes is more valuable.

Chewy, go read a copy of medicham. Like right now, google medicham card and read it's attack. I think you are overlooking something.

I think this could be a great way to use the eeveelutions, 140 with no weakness. (two lots of 70 with muscle band) or 280 if you can pull off weakness. You would definitely want to run at least one flareon, as you can lysandre snipe a vileplume and still have an attack left over to put pressure on whatever else they put up (giritina or whatever)

Last edited:
If you play Celebi EX or Shrine of Memories, and the latter takes away one of Fighting's greatest assets which is Fighting Stadium. Aside from that, Celebi EX is rotating fairly soon and in a primarily Fighting deck you do not want to play SoM if only because the +20 against EXes is more valuable.
Rotation isn't that relevant since Expanded will be the primary format for the upcoming season. http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/pokemon-tournaments/

Chewy, go read a copy of medicham. Like right now, google medicham card and read it's attack. I think you are overlooking something.

You can use Meditites attack with Shrine of Memories which is enough to 1 shot every pokemon with weakness.

If you dont need to hit for weakness, you put up Fighting Stadium, if you do need a weakness you put up Shrine of Memories, I dont see why it has to be either or, you can comfortably run 2-2 split in a Medicham focused deck.

why worry about Bronzong, Excadrill can power himself up with his first attack, the still have an attack left to do damage!

Trust me from experience, getting rid of a stadium is so easy that any deck that relies on having to have a stadium to attack is doomed. All you have to do is play your own, or paint roller and bam, shuts down your attack completely. Most decks run stadiums now, so simply executing their own strategy is normally enough that you won't keep shrine of memories in play more than a turn.

1 turn of Shrine of Memories is enough to knock out M Rayquaza or M Manectric so that is all according to plan.

If you dont need to hit for weakness, you put up Fighting Stadium, if you do need a weakness you put up Shrine of Memories, I dont see why it has to be either or, you can comfortably run 2-2 split in a Medicham focused deck.

Because then the other Stadium becomes a dead draw - or Prize - that's completely useless. It's effectively like having an empty void in the deck; it's being filled by something but it could be filled by something more productive. Aside from that, Expanded's meta is different from Standard and I believe that's the format OP was talking about: in Standard, your choices of earlier attacks are limited.

Additionally, MegaRay decks can also set up their own Stadium and Wally into a Ninetales, making you unable to use Meditite's Attack.

Oh yea, the feared Mega Rayquaza Wally Ninetales deck, forgot about that, the hard counter.

For this, I have been testing Excadrill + Eevees. While I do agree Medicham is a much better option due to Stadium support as well as Strong Energy - Excadrill is not too half bad with these Eevees.

I definitely don't recommend using Bronzong however. Too much Stage 1 Clutter and the main focus is to set up Excadrill, which it can do itself using Dredge, then hitting with Mach Claw for potential Weakness. Depending on how early you set it up, it can at least last a turn. The new Eevees are very useful in Anti-Meta, but their partner depends on what is meta, what is expected at locals, etc. A good partner for Excadrill, Stadium-wise: Is Training Center since it buffs Excadrill's Max HP to 140.

If you see a lot of Aromatisse play like I do, you'll want to use Excadrill. If you see a lot of Manectric play, then you will want to go with Medicham.

Dugtrio is also a great option if you are having trouble with fighting weak pokemon in your local area.

Back