Eelektrik Variants

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Eelektrik variants in the Extended format, including Rayquaza EX/Eelektrik, Zekrom EX/Eelektrik, or any other deck revolving around Eelektrik. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Rayquaza/Eelektrik Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 13
  • 4 Eelektrik NV
  • 4 Tynamo NV 38
  • 3 Rayquaza EX DRX
  • 1 Raikou EX
  • 1 Keldeo EX
Trainers: 31
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 2 Tropical Beach
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 2 Super Rod
  • 1 Dowsing Machine
Energy: 12
  • 8 Lightning Energy
  • 4 Fire Energy
Open Spots: 4

Strategy:
The goal of Eelektrik / Rayquaza EX is to power up Rayquaza EX with Eelektrik's Dynamotor ability, then use Dragon Burst to OHKO any Pokemon in the game. Once the Energy have been discarded, you can use Keldeo EX's Rush In, Dynamotor onto the Rayquaza EX, then use Float Stone to retreat Keldeo EX into Rayquaza EX and Dragon Burst again. The problem with this deck is how inconsistent it is. Getting that many Energies on Rayquaza EX can take a lot of time, and setting up the Eelektriks to do it again can take even longer. Item lock can make this take even longer. But once set up, this deck can plow through most anything.

Good Additions:
  • Mewtwo EX
  • Zekrom BW
  • Victini V-Create
  • Mr. Mime
  • More Keldeo and/or Float Stone
  • Battle Compressor
  • Startling Megaphone or Xerosic
  • Max Potion

RE: Eelektrik Variants [Extended]

What does everyone feel is the better attacker, Yveltal EX or Rayquaza EX? I personally like Rayquaza EX better due to being able to put Lightning Energy in the Discard Pile and for having a less common Weakness.

Brave Vesperia said:
What does everyone feel is the better attacker, Yveltal EX or Rayquaza EX? I personally like Rayquaza EX better due to being able to put Lightning Energy in the Discard Pile and for having a less common Weakness.

Definitely NOT yveltal
The main problem is that it puts you at a common weakness in extended right now:
Seldom Tech (eels)
Thundurus EX
And even the occasional Raichu. On top of that, you have the fact that piling on energy is just asking for Mewtwo EX to come and smash your face in

However, main problem with Rayquaza ex is opposing Rays, Baby Rays (eel tech), and the oh so techable Druddigon. If you want to play a non-tech version I recommend:
3 Rayquaza EX, 2+ Mewtwo EX

I don't really understand the point of using Yveltal-EX with Eelektrik. It would require your opponent to (on average) have twice as many energy attached as you to do as much damage as Rayquaza-EX per energy, and because it doesn't discard them, you're left vulnerable to Mewtwo-EX or opposing Yveltal-EX, and you can no longer accelerate those energy onto anything else.

I would say it's good as an alternate attacker (because it genuinely is), but I feel Mewtwo-EX fills that role better by not requiring you to include Darkness or Rainbow energy. That said, I guess it's worth testing both.

And Mr. Mime should be a staple in this deck, if any, because it's just so vulnerable to Landorus-EX. Landorus/Lucario/Garbodor may be one of this deck's worst matchups.

Since both Prism and Rainbow energy exist in this format, you can run both Yveltal and Rayquaza and other techs (Virizion). Rayquaza should be the focus, but I could see Yveltal having some uses too.

The Eelektross from Plasma Blast should work as the obligatory Pyroar counter. It's nice because you only need to save a spot or two for a card that seems made to work in the deck anyway.

Zekeels and other varients could also be very good in the new format. Muscle Band lets Zekrom hit for 140, putting a lot of things in snipe range. There's also Zapdos LT, an old favorite of mine, and heck, maybe Magnezone EX, arguably the worst EX in modified, could find a niche here. This also might be the only time you'd use Raichu's second attack (if you choose to run him for what ever reason).

I thought Yveltal EX would be good in RayEels but I found it's really not good after testing it. This is the list me and my friend Michael came up with.

4-4 Eelektrik
3 Rayquaza EX
2 Victini NVI 15 (VirGen and Klinklang, and non-EX decent attacker)
2 Keldeo EX (too too too good in this deck)
1 Mr. Mime (near staple now)

16 Pokemon

4 Juniper
4 N
2 Tropical Beach
3 Skyla
2 Colress

2 Startling Megaphone
4 Level Ball
4 Ultra Ball
3 Float Stone
2 Super Rod
2 Letter (helps with the T2 Dragon Burst a lot, it's way more helpful than I thought it would be)
1 Dowsing

33 Trainers

7 Lightning
4 Fire

11 Energy

I just did that off the top of my head so I apologize if anything is off.

EDIT: This deck can deal with one Druddigon just fine but if someone's running two than it loses and they need mental help. Also it seems like when it comes to Rayeels that there's not a whole lot of room for variation. Maybe a Mewtwo tech (which MtC beat me at a Regs with).

I don't play Eelektrik - though I want to - but isn't Battle Compressor a worthy 1 of, if nothing else? Or am I missing something really obvious on why people don't?

I've never included Battle Compressor because I always have enough energy in the discard from ultra ball, retreating, a discard from Rayquaza, or even a Raikou attack. Sure it's just one spot, but I'd rather have something like a professor's letter to feed an ultra ball and get set up.

For Ray Eels variants, I wonder if an Emerald Break Mega Raqyquaza would be worth it (the other requires 3 fire energy). Might be good against those non EXes with more than 120 HP.Also resists fighting and hits Pyroar (though Eelektross PC might be better suited for Pyroar).

I think M Rayquaza EX would be a decent tech espically since you're already running 3-4 Rayquaza EX's already and it can help agaist the Fighting/Big Basics Matchups.

I still own my Rayeels deck and it does good against most modern decks, it's weakness would be Head Ringer, Fighting Pokemon, and Crushing Hammer on the Fire Energy.

I am a veteran rayeels rayeels player and have had a lot of success against most decks, the only thing that really gives rayeels trouble is seismetoad. I have'nt figured out a seismetoad counter so input would be appreciated. The LTR Rayquaza is your Pyroar counter shred ignores intimidating mane and using super rod and dowsing machine you should have enough of them, also snipe all non-Pyroar things with Raikou EX. The LTR Rayquaza is a decent non-EX attacker. I think Raikou EX is an underated card it is increadibly useful it can snipe support pokemon, or things like garbador, it also eats Yvetal EX for breakfast. I think Keldeo EX is not useful in this deck it is more efficient and effective running 4 Skyarrow Bridge. Lysandre is USELESS in this deck if you're not OHKOing things with rayquaza you're playing this deck wrong, and if something somehow survives Rayquaza EX snipe it with Raikou EX. Mr. Mime, Max potion, Professors Letter, supporters, VS Seekers, Level Balls, Evosodas, and Dowsing Machine are there for obvious reasons. Discard electric energy with Ultra Ball whenever possible. Switch+Skyarrow Bridge can do the same thing as Keldeo EX so I run 2. Run 7 electric energy you don't need any more than that, and run 5 fire energy these are probably the most important cards in the deck.

Here is my list:
Pokemon 15
-3 Rayquaza EX
-2 Raikou EX
-4 Tynamo 38 NV
-4 Eelektrik
-1 Rayquaza LTR
-1 Mr. Mime PF
Trainers 33
-4 N
-4 Juniper
-2 Colress
-2 Skyla
-4 Skyarrow Bridge
-4 Level Ball
-4 Ultra Ball
-2 Professor's Letter
-2 Switch
-1 Max Potion
-1 Super Rod
-2 Evosoda
-1 Dowsing machine
Energy 12
-7 Electric Energy
-5 Fire Energy

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a veteran rayeels rayeels player and have had a lot of success against most decks, the only thing that really gives rayeels trouble is seismetoad. I have'nt figured out a seismetoad counter so input would be appreciated. The LTR Rayquaza is your Pyroar counter shred ignores intimidating mane and using super rod and dowsing machine you should have enough of them, also snipe all non-Pyroar things with Raikou EX. The LTR Rayquaza is a decent non-EX attacker. I think Raikou EX is an underated card it is increadibly useful it can snipe support pokemon, or things like garbador, it also eats Yvetal EX for breakfast. I think Keldeo EX is not useful in this deck it is more efficient and effective running 4 Skyarrow Bridge. Lysandre is USELESS in this deck if you're not OHKOing things with rayquaza you're playing this deck wrong, and if something somehow survives Rayquaza EX snipe it with Raikou EX. Mr. Mime, Max potion, Professors Letter, supporters, VS Seekers, Level Balls, Evosodas, and Dowsing Machine are there for obvious reasons. Discard electric energy with Ultra Ball whenever possible. Switch+Skyarrow Bridge can do the same thing as Keldeo EX so I run 2. Run 7 electric energy you don't need any more than that, and run 5 fire energy these are probably the most important cards in the deck.

Here is my list:
Pokemon 15
-3 Rayquaza EX
-2 Raikou EX
-4 Tynamo 38 NV
-4 Eelektrik
-1 Rayquaza LTR
-1 Mr. Mime PF
Trainers 33
-4 N
-4 Juniper
-2 Colress
-2 Skyla
-4 Skyarrow Bridge
-4 Level Ball
-4 Ultra Ball
-2 Professor's Letter
-2 Switch
-1 Max Potion
-1 Super Rod
-2 Evosoda
-1 Dowsing machine
Energy 12
-7 Electric Energy
-5 Fire Energy
Lysandre isn't just for bringing things up from the bench to kill them...It's also very useful to strand things in the active, by forcing your opponent to waste their energy drops retreating the Pokemon you Lysandre'd up.

Is this deck stronger than Bronzong in Expanded? I feel Bronzong-Dialga lacks 10 or 30 damage, and Rayquaza EX does not have those problem.

Roaring skies has been very kind to this deck, allowing it to consistently hit 180 on turn 2, or 240 under ideal circumstances. The key cards from roaring skies that help it so much are: Trainers' Mail; an overal consistency buff, Double Dragon Energy; the fact that this can act as any combination of fire and lightning makes it a 4 of, Hydreigon EX; this card eliminates the effect of counter stadiums and is far superior to keldeo float stone. Unless this deck faces wobbuffet it has an even matchup, even against Seismetoad EX. Here's the list I've been running:

Pokemon:
4 Rayquaza EX DRX
2 Hydreigon EX
4 Tynamo NVI
4 Eelektrik NVI

Supporters:
4 Professor Juniper/Sycamore
3 N
2 Shauna
1 Lysandre
2 VS Seeker

Items:
4 Level Ball
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
2 Switch
2 Professors Letter
1 Computer Search

Stadiums:
3 Skyarrow Bridge

Energy:
6 Lightning Energy
4 Fire Energy
4 Double Dragon Energy

Roaring skies has been very kind to this deck, allowing it to consistently hit 180 on turn 2, or 240 under ideal circumstances. The key cards from roaring skies that help it so much are: Trainers' Mail; an overal consistency buff, Double Dragon Energy; the fact that this can act as any combination of fire and lightning makes it a 4 of, Hydreigon EX; this card eliminates the effect of counter stadiums and is far superior to keldeo float stone. Unless this deck faces wobbuffet it has an even matchup, even against Seismetoad EX. Here's the list I've been running:

Pokemon:
4 Rayquaza EX DRX
2 Hydreigon EX
4 Tynamo NVI
4 Eelektrik NVI

Supporters:
3 N
2 Shauna
1 Lysandre
2 VS Seeker

Items:
4 Level Ball
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
2 Switch
2 Professors Letter
1 Computer Search

Stadiums:
3 Skyarrow Bridge

Energy:
6 Lightning Energy
4 Fire Energy
4 Double Dragon Energy

What is point of running DDE? Dragon Burst can't discard special energy so it can only work as "special fire", which are not possible to retrieve with super rod, vulnerable to enhanced hammer, and not searchable with professor's letter.

Pokemon:
4 Rayquaza EX DRX
2 Hydreigon EX
4 Tynamo NVI
4 Eelektrik NVI

Supporters:
3 N
2 Shauna
1 Lysandre
2 VS Seeker

Items:
4 Level Ball
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
2 Switch
2 Professors Letter
1 Computer Search

Stadiums:
3 Skyarrow Bridge

Energy:
6 Lightning Energy
4 Fire Energy
4 Double Dragon Energy
Hydreigon doesn't help your opponent gusting up Eels, does it?

I'm testing Mega Raquaza-EX, with Rayquaza-EX DRX and Eelektrik. So far it's not bad but I have some kinks to work out. I'll let you know.

I'm testing Mega Raquaza-EX, with Rayquaza-EX DRX and Eelektrik. So far it's not bad but I have some kinks to work out. I'll let you know.
I was talking w/ my buddy about running M-Ray w/ Shrine, so it functions exactly like a Ray/Eels deck, but you've got 230 HP and Delta Wild

I was talking w/ my buddy about running M-Ray w/ Shrine, so it functions exactly like a Ray/Eels deck, but you've got 230 HP and Delta Wild
Yea, but if the stadium isn't in play, you have to attack with Mega Rayquaza EX for a measely 150 damage. You need Skyfield for the deck to work properly. At least a 2-2 line sounds doable, but I run 4 Skyfield. I will test 3-1 of both stadiums.

Yea, but if the stadium isn't in play, you have to attack with Mega Rayquaza EX for a measely 150 damage. You need Skyfield for the deck to work properly. At least a 2-2 line sounds doable, but I run 4 Skyfield. I will test 3-1 of both stadiums.
No, no, I was referring to M-Ray [N], which has 230 HP and Delta Wild (Like hard charm if your opponent is [G], [W], [L], or [R]), as opposed to M-Ray [C], which has 220 HP and Delta Evolution. You wouldn't be using M-Ray [N]'s attack except for attacking Megas (You discard 2 energy instead of discarding the 4 energy required to hit the 240 HP benchmark), or if you are easily able to get 3 [R] energy onto a Rayquaza-EX DRX

Back