Ruling Drampa GX and Splash Energy

josie0001

The Daddiest Dad Ever
This is actually a very broad ruling question. I'm just using this very specific example to hopefully understand better how other interactions work in the game.

The two cards in question:
Drampa GX: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Drampa-GX_(Guardians_Rising_115)
Splash Energy: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Splash_Energy_(BREAKpoint_113)

Situation:
It's my turn, and I have a Drampa GX active with one Psychic Energy attached.
My opponent has a Greninja BREAK active with 150 dmg and a Splash Energy attached.
I use Righteous Edge to do 20 dmg, knocking out my opponent's active.

Specific Question:
When the Greninja BREAK is knocked out, does the effect of Righteous Edge discard the Splash Energy BEFORE my opponent can put the evolution into his hand?

Broad Question:
How is the attack phase processed?

How I THINK it works:
1) I declare my attack, Righteous Edge.
2) Drampa GX does 20 damage to Greninja BREAK.
3) Any effects of attacks are processed, therefore the Splash Energy is discarded.
4) Check for KOs. In this case, Greninja BREAK has 170 damage, so it is knocked out, sending the entire evolution line to the discard pile.

Thanks in advance. :)

Dar Ksereth

Aspiring Trainer
i believe you are correct, the attack must resolve fully before checking for KO's. i'd wait for more confirmation however.

akealon

Aspiring Trainer
i believe you are correct, the attack must resolve fully before checking for KO's. i'd wait for more confirmation however.
That is correct. Additionally, the effect of the attacking Pokemon would resolve before many other effects (ie: how a Shaymin could Sky Return and go back in hand before a Bursting Balloon or Shell Trap would kill it)

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Also note that there is a step "5" (in the OP's list) which would cause the Greninja BREAK to be returned to the player's hand (effect of the Splash energy).

Otaku

The wise fool?
Also note that there is a step "5" (in the OP's list) which would cause the Greninja BREAK to be returned to the player's hand (effect of the Splash energy).

Huh?

No, there isn't a Step 5 in the original post. If you're saying there ought to be, okay. You're wrong, but I at least get what you're saying. ;)

Splash Energy doesn't trigger when a Pokémon is attacked, it triggers when a Pokémon has been KO'd. Unfortunately for the Greninja BREAK player in the example, by the time this happens, has already been discarded (and thus doesn't get the chance to trigger).

So... if I totally misunderstood what you meant, didn't see the "Edit" notification in the first post even though I looked for it (twice!), or something else, let me know. XP

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Huh?

No, there isn't a Step 5 in the original post. If you're saying there ought to be, okay. You're wrong, but I at least get what you're saying. ;)

Splash Energy doesn't trigger when a Pokémon is attacked, it triggers when a Pokémon has been KO'd. Unfortunately for the Greninja BREAK player in the example, by the time this happens, has already been discarded (and thus doesn't get the chance to trigger).

So... if I totally misunderstood what you meant, didn't see the "Edit" notification in the first post even though I looked for it (twice!), or something else, let me know. XP
My comment ("Step 5") is an amendment to the OP's list just to "close out" his/her list. His/her Step 4 denotes that the Defending Pokémon is KOd which will trigger the attached Splash energy's effect.

Otaku

The wise fool?
My comment ("Step 5") is an amendment to the OP's list just to "close out" his/her list. His/her Step 4 denotes that the Defending Pokémon is KOd which will trigger the attached Splash energy's effect.

Checking KO's don't actually happen until everything else resolves, so by the time Splash Energy would have a chance to trigger (let alone resolve), it's in the discard pile because Righteous Edge is an attack effect (and thus must resolve before checking for KO's).

I'm not trying to nitpick; this is the kind of little thing that can make other rulings very confusing. I... I've had a lot of those over the years. >.>

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Checking KO's don't actually happen until everything else resolves, so by the time Splash Energy would have a chance to trigger (let alone resolve), it's in the discard pile because Righteous Edge is an attack effect (and thus must resolve before checking for KO's).

I'm not trying to nitpick; this is the kind of little thing that can make other rulings very confusing. I... I've had a lot of those over the years. >.>
Apologies all - I forgot that Drampa GX's attack discards the Splash energy; so, that completely nullifies my so-called Step 5. My mistake.