Art Gallery double o squirtle's Gallery - Something Different

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Might I be able to request a Honedge? I'd love to use it as art for a fake card, if that's OK with you. :)

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
If there's anything I've learned about Pokemon while sketching, it's that Pichu has incredibly hard to draw eyes, Honedge apparently is not meant to have a pattern on it's sheeth that looks like a face and that if adrawing looks easy, it's the hardest thing to draw.

@Jabberwock
Jabber's Honedge.png

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
Yay more sketches!
sketch bundle 4.png

I've been playing around with inkscape lately and I think I've come up with some pretty good pictures.
Murkrow card art.png

This one was a request from @bbninjas and I thought I'd post it here. Turns out, I like making card art like this. So if anyone is interested in my kind of style for their cards, I'd be happy to help :D
Horsea card art.png

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Wow, I love the Murkrow! You used the purples and the blacks really nicely. :3

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
It took me soooo long to get Salamence done.
sketch bundle 5.png
I really like how Gardevoir ended up.
gardevoir-png.10097

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I think you're really getting the hang of making interesting backgrounds. Especially forests. I remember the original pieces you had shown me were a bit bland, but since you've explored some scenery which is nice.

professorlight

Ice Queen
The color balance in gardevoir is excellent, save for one little thing; the chest piece and the eye should be the same color, a mid-point between red and magenta. To match the flowers, you see.

It's too bad I kind of ran out of gardevoir cards to make, otherwise I would ask you permission to use that drawing. And believe me when I tell you that that's the highest compliment I can give to anything; you know how strict obsessive insane masochistic dedicated I am with doing my own art.

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
The color balance in gardevoir is excellent, save for one little thing; the chest piece and the eye should be the same color, a mid-point between red and magenta. To match the flowers, you see.
Hmm... how's this? The eye's made up of two different colours so I couldn't exactly match the flowers, but I think it looks a lot better.
Gardevoir.png
It's too bad I kind of ran out of gardevoir cards to make, otherwise I would ask you permission to use that drawing. And believe me when I tell you that that's the highest compliment I can give to anything; you know how strict obsessive insane masochistic dedicated I am with doing my own art.
Thanks!

professorlight

Ice Queen
Hmm... how's this? The eye's made up of two different colours so I couldn't exactly match the flowers, but I think it looks a lot better.

Much better!

it's not about matching all, but about the color variance you have in the composition; in that drawing, for example, you have several greens, whites and browns, with an almost indistinguishable touch of blue and magenta as an accent.
Magenta is stronger so it compensates its lack of ubiquity relative to the more subdued greens and browns. But the red of the chest piece and a little brown in the eye feel out of place, since they're farther away from your other colors, and they're ideal points for an accent, just like you did with the flowers.
Compare it to servine, to see what I mean; a couple of shades of yellow, a few shades of green, and the red of the eye and petals as accent; I didn't want the eye alone to draw attention, so I used the petals to balance the color throughout the composition, which is what you would do with the eye and the chest in this case.

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
Finally finshed all my requests! So now I can get back to updating :D.
sketch bundle 6.png
garchomp card art.png

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
That Garchomp is really cool! If you still take requests, would you mind doing a Bellossom in the same style? :3

VinculumStellarum

Hello Tomorrow, going well? Any luck?
Your art looks good! I personally would like to see you do Pop Star Pikachu (or J-Pop Pikachu, as I call it). After all, I am the PikaMaster. 0v0

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
So much for updating more frequently.

I actually had Bellossom done a while back but I wanted to post both of them at the same time. Then things got in the way and now it's over a month since I last posted...

Here they are.
@steffenka
Steffenka's Bellossom.png
@PikaMasterJesi
Jesi's Pop star pikachu.png

I've got some ideas that I want to try on inkscape. So I think I'll focus my time on graphic images for a while, I do have a Reshiram however.
Reshiram.png

Last edited:

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
tropius.png
Gen 7!!!!
Tapu Koko.png
I wanted to make the art as if it was a full art card, so I made the background on Gimp. I think it turned out nicely except that my hand kind of hurt after a while...

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Very nice! I like how you get more detailed yet remain simplistic after each art piece you create. Two smaller things that I would suggest you take into consideration for future pieces is:

Watch the thickness of the lines. The really thick lines for Tropius' background is an interesting effect, but it is a bit distracting, hides details (particularly the smaller leaves) and feels more "unprofessional" (but if the thick lines are your style, go for it! :p). I think this is particularly noticeable because there are so many things in the background.

The second thing is that the orange behind the orange-and-yellow Tapu Koko makes the subject a bit difficult to see and a bit hard on your eyes. A soft blue (light or dark) would have allowed the subject stand out a bit better. (An EX card would probably not have an orange background for this reason.)

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
The second thing is that the orange behind the orange-and-yellow Tapu Koko makes the subject a bit difficult to see and a bit hard on your eyes. A soft blue (light or dark) would have allowed the subject stand out a bit better. (An EX card would probably not have an orange background for this reason.)
I asked someone how they thought it looked and they said something pretty similar to that. I tried it with a couple blues and got this:
Tapu Koko light blue.png
It does make Tapu Koko stand out a bit better.

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
The drawing tool I use on inkscape got stuck on a really thin stroke style. So I had to keep adjusting it until after I finished both of them, where I then figured out how to change it permanently. Totally not dissapointed with how much time I wasted doing that...

Both of these focus on more than one Pokemon, but that just adds to the picture!
piplups.png
Karrablast w Shelmet.png