News Donald Trump Becomes the POTUS - What Happens Next?

Am I the only one who finds it funny that Democrats heavily bombarded Trump for saying that he would not acknowledge the results of the election, and yet they're the ones who have been rioting after Hillary lost?

It's not about challenging the results of the election. I mean, not in that sense. Regardless of whatever else you want to say about the election, Trump has said and done some pretty nasty things, and people are frustrated because his election means the validation of those things. People are protesting the hate and the sexual assault allegations and making fun of disabled people, and letting everyone know that we don't think that those things are ok. Not that the results of the election should be reversed. I'd like to think nobody in this discussion or on this forum advocates mocking a disabled person. Trump did that once. Protesters/rioters/whatever you want to call them want to show they don't support that behavior.

As for the election recount, there were concerns (although even the Hillary campaign is well aware that few are reasonable) over various forms of voter interference or hacking. Whether it's true or not, there's public outcry, and since the money has been raised to do it, there's no harm in a recount. Again, regardless of whatever side you're on, there's no question it was a divisive election, and both sides are riled up. A recount of votes is pretty mild given that divisiveness (since again, there's no harm--if nothing is found, then nothing changes, and if something is found, then of course it needed to have been found and action will be taken accordingly).

Protesters/rioters/whatever you want to call them want to show they don't support that behavio
I both agree and disagree. I agree that Trump had his fair share of things he's swept under the rug, but so has Hillary. However I disagree that the protests/riots/whatever you want to call them have not been to challenge his views. But to explicitly state that they do not accept him as the 2016 Presidential elect. I did not want this to turn into a hardcore debate, I simply wanted to bring attention to something I believed to be slighty humorous.

I don't usually post on pokebeach, but I feel like something needs to be said. I am absolutely disgusted, appalled, repulsed, and every other synonym in the dictionary that many of you think Donald Trump is a better candidate than Hillary Clinton. There are a myriad of reasons why Trump is absolutely horrible for office, but I will list the one that I believe is the number one reason why Clinton is better than Trump. Trump could destroy our world. Trump denies climate change, wants to cut back on measures to combat climate change, and wants to appoint Myron Ebell (An outspoken denier of climate change) to the EPA (presumably to destroy it from the inside since it looks like he can't just abolish of it). He could set us back many years in our fight against climate change, and we don't have that much time. If there is any hope for the planet, we need to work on it starting now. The Paris agreement is a good start, but Trump may back out of it, and even if he doesn't, he sure doesn't seem to want to do anything to help. Clinton would actually do something about climate change and may save future generations, while Trump will make it worse. As a Math major that plans to pursue a career in science, I am deeply saddened that many of you don't care about the planet, and are willing to let it be destroyed, which is what a vote for Trump means. And if nothing gets done, years down the road, the Earth will start to flood, all the people that voted for Trump will realize what a horrible decision they made, but at that point, it will be too late. I don't care how horrible a president you think Hillary would be. Whatever bad things she may do (which I don't think she would, but many people do), nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is worse than destroying the world.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that people are really taking time to make well-informed posts in this thread! Additionally, my kudos go out to you guys for keeping things mature even though this is a very polarizing issue. I've seen just a few instances where arguments are sliding into the category of personal attacks, so let's remember to argue the issues, and show others the same respect that we would want for ourselves.

With the recent shooting at Ohio State University (which happened literally 15 yards from my apartment) causing a lot of stir about immigration and refugees, what do you guys think about immigration policy in the context of higher education?

There are a myriad of reasons why Trump is absolutely horrible for office, but I will list the one that I believe is the number one reason why Clinton is better than Trump. Trump could destroy our world.

Considering the U.S has been "destroying the world" for the past 60 years, how much worse can it get?

It doesn't matter which president you elect, because there's something funadementally wrong with your country and the basic principles of a lot of Americans.

I'd be willing to bet that if the U.S stopped spending 600 billion USD on it's military (China spends 215 billon, Russia 66) the world would be a better place. Maybe if the U.S stopped threatening everything and everyone the world would be a better place? Because honestly, the world is not your playground.

To me, and a lot of people outside the U.S, this is more important than whether you decide to re-open your coal plants or whatever it is. I'm a big fan of clean energy (which is a big thing where I live), but 4-years of potential coal burning isn't going to make the world turn into a wasteland (or swallow the Maldives).

Maybe not, but it will delay the healing process for who knows how long. And that would be just another case of "america using the world as its playground". Or rather, its garbage can.

You do have a point about the exceptionalist politics of the US; it is also true that whatever decisions happen in the US will have globe-spanning consequences, whether they like it or not. And yes, Hillary was a representative of that system.

But really, you can't say Trump was the same; for all her shortcomings, Hillary was experienced and knowledgeable about not just policy, but also about the role of president itself; trump shot into the position straight from a reality show and failed businesses. The worst thing that could happen with Hillary would be the system staying as it is, maybe a little better, maybe a little worse; the forces that drove trump to power are a local byproduct of that same system, and that won't change in a day, or an election.

As you said, there's a lot to object about the stereotypical america, without getting into specific people because everyone is different; it goes back centuries and has deep roots in history, culture, philosophy and politics; I could cite a cavalier attitude towards the role of the US in the world, for example, even going down to this election. With at least half of the country not having voted in any way, a reality TV star was named the most powerful man on earth, with his decisions during four years (or eight) changing everything, from global conflicts (which includes nuclear weapons and the very complex dynamics of Mutually Assured Destruction) to the environment at the medium-long term, to the social climate both in and out of America (if you think the Golden Dawn, or Marine Le Pen, or so many others, will just sit after they saw the UKIP and Trump score major victories you'd be very naive).

Was it the moment for change in america? perhaps; it's been long overdue, and change is slow and difficult; maybe it had already started with Obama, and Trump is just the last stand of part of that America that has so many worrying aspects. But one thing is sure; Trump, and the people he empowered, both in their influence inside and outside the US, were not going to be the ones to bring that change to a good end.

Considering the U.S has been "destroying the world" for the past 60 years, how much worse can it get?
Maybe it's true that the U.S has been contributing to much of the worlds CO2 emissions for the past 60 years, but that doesn't mean it's ok to not do anything to make it better. While it may be hard to reduce CO2 emissions by simply using less energy that emits CO2, such as not using a car less in favor of walking or riding a bicycle, one can use methods of generating energy that emit little to no greenhouse gases. Wind energy can be good in windy places such as the midwest, and nuclear energy is a perfect answer to our climate change problem imo if we could find a good solution to destroy the waste, decrease its radioactivity, or find someway to transport it far away where it can do no harm. However, I believe geothermal energy is the most practical. From what I've read on it, it emits little to no greenhouse gases, and is best in places like Hawaii and California. I believe that if we could start to switch to alternative sources of energy that have a smaller environmental footprint, humanity can be saved. However, Trump doesn't seem to be interested in that, and wants to increase our usage of fossil fuels and coal, not environmentally friendly forms of energy.
To me, and a lot of people outside the U.S, this is more important than whether you decide to re-open your coal plants or whatever it is. I'm a big fan of clean energy (which is a big thing where I live), but 4-years of potential coal burning isn't going to make the world turn into a wasteland (or swallow the Maldives).
Maybe not immediately, but action needs to be taken now before it is too late. And Trump doesn't just want use more coal and fossil fuels, he wants to abolish the EPA. And since he may not be able to do that, he says he is going to appoint Myron Ebell to head the EPA transition team. Having a denier of climate change involved with an organization that tries to stop climate change is a recipe for disaster. And while a lot of the other policies Trump plans to enact, such as building a wall, or deporting Muslims, are worrisome, I believe none of that matters if humanity is wiped off the face of the earth by the rising water levels.

Last edited:
And while a lot of the other policies Trump plans to enact, such as building a wall, or deporting Muslims, are worrisome, I believe none of that matters if humanity is wiped off the face of the earth by the rising water levels.
The chance of the world flooding and destroying humanity in the next 8 years (assuming Trump gets elected twice) is literally zero.

The chance of the world flooding and destroying humanity in the next 8 years (assuming Trump gets elected twice) is literally zero.
LITERALLY zero!? Not if a large meteor has anything to say about that!

...I mean, it won't happen and I'm just being a nitpicker, but... eh.

-Asmer

Never did I say I believe that he could end the world in the next 8 years, but I believe that he could set us back enough on climate change that it will become a lot harder, maybe even impossible, to win this battle against climate change, which we NEED to win, and our world could end sooner. I know these things don't happen quickly, but 8 years is a lot of progress we can lose, and it may end up contributing to our inevitable doom more than we would like. It saddens me that many people do not believe in climate change, or at least do not believe it to be something that requires our immediate attention, because it is accepted in the scientific community that climate change IS a problem, and it WILL end us if we don't act, and we need as much time as possible to act. Even if Trump does not get reelected, which I do not believe he will, 4 years is still too long to not make any progress. Heck, even if he gets impeached like some suspect he will, we have to deal with Pence, whom I believe is not much better, if at all, than Trump. I'm not exactly sure about his views on climate change, because based on my searches, it looks like he's a denier, then I saw a more recent article that says he will try to keep an open mind, so I don't know how he would fare with respect to climate change. I don't know why anyone would think that it's ok not to do anything about climate change just because the consequences are not immediate.

Last edited:
What sucks is America is basically proving it doesn't care about progress. We (America) elected a person who doesn't think Climate Change is real. He is also choosing people who believe the same thing. I do feel we will be set back. I mean, Bush defunded NASA and now this. Its like each time a Republication is elected, we go back as a species.

@andrewmenza

Don't get me started with Pence. I mean, I really want people to understand how bad things will get if Pence takes office. This guy will change the way everyday life is in America. As of now, as Americans, we need to make sure that nothing happens to Trump.

I don't know about you. But I'm working out like crazy now.

Because somewhere in the next four years, we will all be driving in wastelands in gangs looking for fuel.

And when that happens, I'm going to need to be in fightin' shape in order to die historic. WITNESS ME!

I don't know about you. But I'm working out like crazy now.

Because somewhere in the next four years, we will all be driving in wastelands in gangs looking for fuel.

And when that happens, I'm going to need to be in fightin' shape in order to die historic. WITNESS ME!
Speaking of Mad Max...

Back