News Donald Trump Becomes the POTUS - What Happens Next?

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
As most of us already know, Donald Trump won the presidency in a surprising upset. Not only will this change the lives of millions of Americans, this appears to be a very global event, with stocks and currency changing drastically in the little time since he became the projected winner.

What are your thoughts? Why do you think Trump won, and will it continue to affect American politics? How do you think it will affect you?

First a Mod note: this is a rather delicate topic as of now, being a worldwide trend. It goes without saying that any member directly flaming either party or any similar behavior will NOT be tolerated. Think well what you'll write as a response to this thread.

Now, as a Costa Rican, either candidate would have brought repercussions one way or another, it's just a matter of hoping it won't affect us all as much as many predicted...

What I AM concerned about is how half of the people from the USA chose a "person" with such disappointing behavior and that lack of humanity. It leaves a lot to think about those who see someone like that as their leader... :/

Today is a polarizing day to be an American, and I, like many of you, fall on the side of disappointment. I sympathize with those of you who feel lost, ashamed or powerless. I empathize with those of you who share messages of gloom, frustration, or hostility. However, I encourage everyone not to lose sight of their civility, humanity, and poise. Please, don't heckle Trump supporters. These are the people whose minds we need to change. Nobody is going to change if their first experiences with an opposing viewpoint are accusations of stupidity and bigotry. Even if such claims are true, we have to show our opponents the same level of respect and consideration that we would want them to give to us and our opinions. If you don't like the outcome of the election, join an organization, start a protest, or talk to someone one with whom you disagree. Ultimately, resillience is what measures society in a time of hardship, and resiliency is what we must start showing today.

While I was personally supporting a Trump win, I will admit that there was an issue in America last night on both sides, and I refuse to see it any other way.

Hate breeds hate, and this is the perfect example of it. Progressives hated Trump's rhetoric, and so they stuck themselves with Clinton to keep him from office. Meanwhile, Conservatives' hated the Progressive's rhetoric, and so they sided with Trump to make a statement that they will not be called "uneducated bigots". It's exactly like the Brexit decision from earlier this year. You don't insult half the nation and try to get away with it.

These next four years need to be years of unity. Trump said that's what he wanted in his speech, so we'll need to see what that look likes.

I'm so, so, sorry for all the people in america who aren't straight, white, upper-class christian males, because life's getting a hell of a lot harder for you...

It is super odd. I personally think Hillary and Trump are pieces of crap and asking me to pick between them is like asking whether or not I want to get punched in the face by your left or right hand. The ONLY qualified person was Bernie as he would have made America MUCH better but America happens to like dumb and will elect as such. Don't know if people know about the movie Idiocracy. That movie is coming true and it quite scary for me being a black guy in America. If Hillary won, chances are we would have went to war with Russia, something the world doesn't want because at some point nukes could be used - i.e, WW3 and if Trump won, well he's a business man who might sell the launch codes. Trump is a big child and Hillery is a liar.

Last I heard is stocks have fallen and some other things going on. Its going to be an interesting 4 years.

While I was personally supporting a Trump win, I will admit that there was an issue in America last night on both sides, and I refuse to see it any other way.

Hate breeds hate, and this is the perfect example of it. Progressives hated Trump's rhetoric, and so they stuck themselves with Clinton to keep him from office. Meanwhile, Conservatives' hated the Progressive's rhetoric, and so they sided with Trump to make a statement that they will not be called "uneducated bigots". It's exactly like the Brexit decision from earlier this year. You don't insult half the nation and try to get away with it.

These next four years need to be years of unity. Trump said that's what he wanted in his speech, so we'll need to see what that look likes.

Be careful, Trump might sue you.

Be careful, Trump might sue you.
Pretty sure he can't sue me over the US border.

And it's not like I own anything either. :p

I'm so, so, sorry for all the people in america who aren't straight, white, upper-class christian males, because life's getting a hell of a lot harder for you...
How do you explain the LGBTQ+, black, Latino, Arab, lower class, atheists, females, etc. voting for Trump? Because that actually happened.

Part of me is glad he won.

He channeled the fury of millions of people; not all are the white supremacist, hate people that associate with him. Some are just average folks who are tired of how the government is run.

He has a real chance to do some good right now. It'll be interesting to see how he handles it because no one, not even and especially Donald Trump, expected him to win.

What surprised me is not Trump winning, but how he dominated when it came to the Electoral votes. He lost the popular vote, but nearly all of the country was colored Republican red.

Trump needs to live up to his claim to make America Great Again, or in 4 years the poll-goers will say like he so famously did in The Apprentice; "You're fired."

Part of me is glad he won.

He channeled the fury of millions of people; not all are the white supremacist, hate people that associate with him. Some are just average folks who are tired of how the government is run.

He has a real chance to do some good right now. It'll be interesting to see how he handles it because no one, not even and especially Donald Trump, expected him to win.

I have to agree. He would do the less damage Hillary would have done but oh my...

Today is a polarizing day to be an American, and I, like many of you, fall on the side of disappointment. I sympathize with those of you who feel lost, ashamed or powerless. I empathize with those of you who share messages of gloom, frustration, or hostility. However, I encourage everyone not to lose sight of their civility, humanity, and poise. Please, don't heckle Trump supporters. These are the people whose minds we need to change. Nobody is going to change if their first experiences with an opposing viewpoint are accusations of stupidity and bigotry. Even if such claims are true, we have to show our opponents the same level of respect and consideration that we would want them to give to us and our opinions. If you don't like the outcome of the election, join an organization, start a protest, or talk to someone one with whom you disagree. Ultimately, resillience is what measures society in a time of hardship, and resiliency is what we must start showing today.

This is well put. A lot of people are in pain right now, and I understand being angry and afraid when someone who molested women and rallies hatred for various minorities, is legitimized as president. It's impossible for me to fully know that pain, because I'm in Canada now, and I'm white. So I'm not trying to deflect, but the election wasn't won only because people liked his sexism and racism. We can't change anything if we accept that. We have to look at economics and governance, and what motivated voters besides the theatrics.

Trump's biggest gains were with working class whites around the great lakes and "rust belt", where he outperformed all previous Republican candidates. This is a region that's been deserted by its industry, as the American economy has shifted completely away from manufacturing, towards finance and service. People are understandably skeptical that Congress is able or willing to reverse that trend, since most politicians have to accept money from bigger lobbies just to get there. He was the most anti-Washington, anti-lobby candidate of the 2 nominees, so he won. At least I think that's the biggest reason.

We need to decide what should happen to people when entire industries leave them behind (or they get sick, or anything). I don't know how useful or appropriate it is to get all "join me comrades!" here, and this is just my opinion, but: capitalism is designed to exploit workforces until they no longer produce value. It also gives us a profit-driven news media that will never be incentivized for accuracy or context, but for entertainment. If we want to slow those processes, I hope the Democratic party will now move more to the left, towards more Sanders-like politics, rather than put forward another corporate-backed centrist candidate. FWIW, Sanders won the primaries in Wisconsin, Michigan, and New Hampshire, and given a full campaign he might have won Ohio and Pennsylvania too.

That said I wanted the first woman to become president, and if you do too, pay attention to people like Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Zephyr Teachout, Tammy Duckworth, and Catherine Cortez Masto to name a few. Also if you can vote, circle the heck out of Nov. 6, 2018, which is the next Congressional election, which will determine a third of the Senate and all of the House. If you're unhappy with the results today, that's the time to do something.

I must be the only one in history who doesn't care lolz.

No, seriously though. What's done is done though. Look, the truth is I didn't like any of our candidates, it's literally a pick your poison kind of situation. We all know the media publicized reason about why Trump is bad for America and why Clinton is good for America or vice versa. I can't think of a single politician that has had policies that everyone agrees on, and the truth is the president can say what they want but it takes more than the president to make it happen. Now the fact that the house is all republican could be another matter...

I have to say that despite everything Trump is not a real politician and that is part of the problem why I'm surprised he won, but then perhaps a non-politician politician is what is needed now, only time will tell.

What I AM concerned about is how half of the people from the USA chose a "person" with such disappointing behavior and that lack of humanity. It leaves a lot to think about those who see someone like that as their leader... :/

I completely agree with you, but here's the catch; this same line could be applied if Clinton had won too. Again, none of our options were even remotely appealing here.

Well I'm safe because I'm a straight white...wait, no I'm not upper class (not that there is a middle class anymore) and I have no religious belief. Yet, I have to say that life can't get much harder for me right now. Maybe time will prove me wrong I don't know.

What it comes down to is that it is what it is, the next four years will be something to see (I reserve judgment on good or bad for now) and we can only hope that Trump is more competent than it assumed.

Oh, and one final word; next president race let's vote Pikachu for president. #PikachuPres2020

How do you explain the LGBTQ+, black, Latino, Arab, lower class, atheists, females, etc. voting for Trump? Because that actually happened.
1) People wanted change
2) Hillary didn't capitalize on all the groups Trump insulted and just expected them to go with her, which didn't happen.

Trump's biggest gains were with working class whites around the great lakes and "rust belt", where he outperformed all previous Republican candidates. This is a region that's been deserted by its industry, as the American economy has shifted completely away from manufacturing, towards finance and service. People are understandably skeptical that Congress is able or willing to reverse that trend, since most politicians have to accept money from bigger lobbies just to get there. He was the most anti-Washington, anti-lobby candidate of the 2 nominees, so he won. At least I think that's the biggest reason.

Hillary thought Wisconsin was a safe bet, she ended up losing that. Basically, Trump hit the toss-up states harder (Ohio, North Carolina and Florida) then Hillary did.

I also feel like even though Hillary got acquitted of any charges about her private e-mails, it could've been the last straw for those who were not too keen on Hillary.

Whelp. I came on to today PokéBeach trying to AVOID this. I guess it can't be avoided anymore, though.

In truth (although I am unable to vote), I was Pro-Hillary during the beginning of the presidential race. But as time went on, I became slightly more empathetic towards The Donald. The reasoning behind that was that I believed that Obama was not doing the best job for our country. Am I saying that he was a God-Awful president? No. Obama had his ups and downs during his two terms. However, I honestly felt that Donald Trump was the best candidate because of his brutal honesty. Some people may not believe in what Trump stands for, but at least he knows when to tell the truth. I also don't think that Hillary was 100% in the wrong with the e-mail scandal, but I do believe that you shouldn't lie about not having classified information in said emails. (I think there were three marked classified and over 1,000 marked sensitive.) Anyways, Trump was always seen in a more truthful light because of the e-mail scandal. But I'm still in shock that he managed to pull off an upset like he did. It's damn near unbelievable, but he did it.

But in light of it all, I still believe that Donald trump WILL make America great again. And if he doesn't he get his own words (You're Fired) thrown in his face. (Wait, someone already mad that joke)

I don't really know what to say...

As a 15 year old girl growing up in the United States of America, I will genuinely say I'm scared about what these next four years may look like. I feel disappointed, shocked, lost, confused, scared, hopeless, and neglected. Trump has left a horrible impression on much of America and it's youth. Children have role models, and I speak from experience when I say, I wanted to be like Obama when I grew up. If kids think in a similar way to Trump as I did to Obama, then we're in for a lot of uncertainty and scarceness.

Trump may have won the election, but he lost the popular vote. This is 2000 all over again, and sadly, Hillary is forced to join the ranks of the forever robbed candidates like Al Gore. Trump on the other hand, may have won the election, but he had less votes in the popular vote than John McCain, or Mitt Romney. That goes to show how high his disapproval rating is, and while Clinton was arguably a bad choice for the office for her seemingly iffy judgement, I personally think that just because of the things Donald Trump has said over the last 600 days, he's much more of a threat to our country.

He's provoked by a tweet, he's intolerant to quite a few races and religions. He's rated women on the way they look, only enforcing girls self conscious issues, and making them feel like they should have to look pretty so that a guy would sweep them up. An epidemic that can somehow cause things such as anorexia, self harm, and other horrible, horrible things to become almost seemingly constantly present in our society, more so than they have been in the past is something I find unbearable to watch.

I accept the fact Trump won. He won fair and square, how the system was designed. I can't fault him for that. I don't fault anyone who voted for Trump, as I'm sure they have their reasons for voting for him. All I can really sum it up to, is Trump needs to work miracles to make people really believe in him over the course of these next 4 years. He's got a lot of work to do, and a lot of wounds to seal that he made himself over twitter, at rallies, and in debate. I wish Donald Trump luck, and the best, but he certainly has lots of work to do...

Last edited:
This is unbelievable.

I wanted to be optimist, because this wasn't about economy, this was a moral choice that the US had to make. Yes, there are a lot of directionless, poor people left over from the switch to a light capitalism, and something should be done with them, and it hadn't been done so far.
But nothing, nothing should stand in front of basic humanity; Trump repeatedly insulted people and mistreated them in myriad ways, he was inhumane beyond expectations, kept breaking those once they settled, and was supported by so many people with an even longer history of inhumanity.

And he was chosen.

As I said, this was a moral choice, and one that will shape the US (and outside perception of it) for decades to come; corrupt or not, Hillary was still capable, and, well, a politician (and an american one at that, so she wasn't exactly a saint); she wasn't Bernie, but Bernie, despite his impressive performance, never had a snowball's chance in hell; not in America's political system. So maybe she wasn't clean, or careful, or she wasn't super progressive... but more importantly, she wasn't inhumane. Trump can't say the same, and those who supported him in spite of that can't say it either; they chose inhumanity for a chance at wealth. This wasn't the time for upsetting the system, and we all might pay for that.

The Banality of Evil hasn't been in such stark clarity since Eichmann's trial.

Last edited:
1) People wanted change
2) Hillary didn't capitalize on all the groups Trump insulted and just expected them to go with her, which didn't happen.
Sure people wanted change, something Hillary had never really decided to do, as she only spoke of "continuing Obama's legacy". That's why she had my vote (if I could vote, :p), as I thought Obama was doing decently, and if Hillary could replicate that, then I'd be okay with her. And yeah, Hillary's problem was she poorly capitalized on keeping her base, as she and her team made very poor assumptions as to what they would do based on past elections. We know now that what happened in the past doesn't matter, because if it did, the Great Lakes would've went blue, and we'd be in a "Hillary Clinton Becomes the POTUS" discussion board, like I expected we would've been going into last night.
Hillary thought Wisconsin was a safe bet, she ended up losing that. Basically, Trump hit the toss-up states harder (Ohio, North Carolina and Florida) then Hillary did.
Another problem. Hillary's bad judgement showing here. She poorly capitalized on the states she'd lost to Bernie in the primaries, like Michigan, Wisconsin, and others. Trump however, did make the right moves, and prioritized getting in there, and getting people riled up to vote. Florida she assumed was hers, Pennsylvania she assumed was hers, Ohio she assumed was hers, Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, she made very poor choices in where she'd decided to campaign. Going places like these would've helped her instead of the constant visits to the mid-west, which didn't do crap for her.

Another problem. Hillary's bad judgement showing here. She poorly capitalized on the states she'd lost to Bernie in the primaries, like Michigan, Wisconsin, and others. Trump however, did make the right moves, and prioritized getting in there, and getting people riled up to vote. Florida she assumed was hers, Pennsylvania she assumed was hers, Ohio she assumed was hers, Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, she made very poor choices in where she'd decided to campaign. Going places like these would've helped her instead of the constant visits to the mid-west, which didn't do crap for her.

She naturally assumed she'd win a state like Pennsylvania (my home state) because of prior election history. The jingle that we used to say at Election Time was "Pennsylvania's been Blue since '92". Naturally, Clinton assumed she just needed to show up, and the rest would write itself.

Clinton got the Orlando and Miami-Dade County areas; but really couldn't hit hard anywhere else in Florida. Same with Ohio; she hit the big areas, but not everywhere. There were small blue blips in a sea of Republican Red.

Clinton got the Orlando and Miami-Dade County areas; but really couldn't hit hard anywhere else in Florida. Same with Ohio; she hit the big areas, but not everywhere. There were small blue blips in a sea of Republican Red.
It's the same reason Michigan still hasn't been called. Clinton's taking areas around Detroit, the highly concentrated areas, but nowhere else, and that's the problem. She never makes efforts to go for more outer areas. If she did so, then those outer areas might feel less pushed to side. Unfortunately, she half knowingly swept them off, like they weren't a deciding factor. Same with Pennsylvania and Ohio. Not to mention, she lost by almost 10% in Ohio, and as the saying goes "As Ohio goes, so goes the nation".

Back