Diseases Discussion

Omega Soul

I'm feeling dizzy
This is a thread to talk about diseases you have had, and the subject in general.

When I was about 6, I had pneumonia, a lung infection. It wouldn't have been too bad, but i had a lung lining disease at the same time. I could have died if i didn't receive treatment. i have vague memories of having the disease, such as losing my appetite, being brought to hospital, and having a pain in my shoulder.

I've been keeping tabs on the recent Ebola and Enterovirus D68 outbreak in the U.S. and so far there's been one reported diagnosis for Ebola in Texas while Enterovirus D68 seems to only affect children with symptoms pertaining to polio and paralysis. Bill Gates's foundation just recently donated $5 billion in the fight against Ebola while it doesn't seem like the World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control hasn't been as focused on Enterovirus D68 as much as they have with Ebola.

I loved reading up about diseases and all that sort of stuff - Ken Alibek's book Biohazard fascinated me a lot. Diseases are much nicer when they're tucked away in someone else's story and not affecting real people any more.

Up until I was 10, I had asthma. The only reason I can think of that makes me say "up until I was 10" is that after moving from Western Australia (dusty, sandy, dry) to Queensland (humid, tropical) the weather has helped clear up my asthma. I'd never heard about something as simple as the weather having such an impact on something as major as asthma, so it was a nice surprise for me to get healthier and healthier as the years went by in QLD.

The whole ebola thing is very freaky. There was a case reported on the Gold Coast (~2 hours away from me), but apparently the guy was cleared after being rushed to the hospital. It's good to know Australia can handle a minor case of ebola, but it's still very scary to think that ebola managed to make its way here.

Has anyone ever seen The Strain? Apart from a vampiric horror story, it actually goes into great detail on how mythical things can actually be caused by diseases.

bigfootaus said:
I loved reading up about diseases and all that sort of stuff - Ken Alibek's book Biohazard fascinated me a lot. Diseases are much nicer when they're tucked away in someone else's story and not affecting real people any more.

Up until I was 10, I had asthma. The only reason I can think of that makes me say "up until I was 10" is that after moving from Western Australia (dusty, sandy, dry) to Queensland (humid, tropical) the weather has helped clear up my asthma. I'd never heard about something as simple as the weather having such an impact on something as major as asthma, so it was a nice surprise for me to get healthier and healthier as the years went by in QLD.

The whole ebola thing is very freaky. There was a case reported on the Gold Coast (~2 hours away from me), but apparently the guy was cleared after being rushed to the hospital. It's good to know Australia can handle a minor case of ebola, but it's still very scary to think that ebola managed to make its way here.

You might like the book "The Hot Zone". I read it as summer reading about 10 years ago, but from what I remember, it was pretty good. It was about a disease outbreak in Africa if I am remembering correctly.

bigfootaus said:

Ebola is freaky? Worse than that is some people's reactions and lack of care. In my country there was a woman that went to a private hospital with fear of having it and the hospital said for her to go to the public one and she did it...by bus (not to mention she had already gone to the private one before calling the health (telephone) line).

One time I was in the emergency section of a public hospital and there was an elderly woman that kept saying "Jesus, my Jesus, Oh my God..." while pretending to be in pain. Most likely, the woman lacked company and lived alone and it's not unheard for old people to fake diseases to get some attention so imagine people doing that with ebola going around. Seriously, some people are more interested in watching crappy mornings shows than paying attention to what's important. :rolleyes::(

So, when I was four, I almost died because my epiglottis decided to swell up and choke me. (The epiglottis is the flappy thing that directs food to the food hole and air to the air hole in your throat). Like, I lived most of my life thinking that some mystery disease nearly killed me. So I asked my mom a few years ago (she usually avoided talking about the incident, because it was traumatizing for her, whereas I really didn't care because I woke up to breakfast in bed at the hospital, haha), and she told me that it was... Laryngitis. Turns out in kids under 5, it can cause swelling of the epiglottis. :T

dunno if this is the best place to say this but i've had a long string of stomach-related issues since i was a kid

i mean, i eat right, exercise a lot, play sports, all that healthy-sounding stuff but... then every year or two i get some whopping pain in my gut for some reason that the doctor diagnoses as some freak gastro-intestinal type thing

I have a better immune system than all here :p Most serious I've had is the common Bug that comes and goes.

When is was 12 i got glandular fever on my birthday sleep over party. I was vomiting, sweating, in a lot of pain, it sucked.

Back