Discussion Decks That Become Unviable Post-Rotation?

Emskas

Aspiring Trainer
Hello! I was just wondering which decks you guys think will be noncompetitive next year due to some key cards being rotated, or just another deck entering the format that will nullify the deck's competitive potential. Like to hear your opinions, but don't over hype a deck or a rotated card to the point that your point is untrue.

Thanks!

-Emskas

Wailord loses Hugh.

Seismitoad loses LaserBank and Garbodor, but maybe it will still be good with Crawdaunt.

Yveltal loses LaserBank, Darkrai, and Garbodor. It also isn't that great already because it's bad against Ray and Raichu.

Landybats loses Landorus-EX, but it might be redone to Lucario/Hawlucha/Bats.

Bats lose Zubat with Free Flight, I'm not sure how impactful this will be.

Donphan, Plasma, and VirGen don't exist anymore.

Aromatisse and Manectric lose Max Potion. This kills Aromatisse, but some Manectric decks don't use Max Potion anyway.

It's the first rotation that actually matters in awhile. The past few rotations have basically been bans of Eelektrik, Ho-Oh, Sableye, Dark Patch, Accelgor, Archeops, and Klinklang as far as competitive play is concerned. Of those only Eel and the Dark stuff were a huge deal.

Night March loses both Mew-EX and Empoleon DEX. These are key cards to the deck's versatiliy. Without Mew, Night March players will need to rely strictly on their Non-EX attackers and will need to be more careful with how many Pokemon they place in the discard. Night March decks will likely need to run more copies of Revive, and possibly Sacred Ash to ensure they can attack, and keep a delicate balance between Pokemon in the discard and on board. Losing Town Map is also going to hurt, as this was important for picking Night Marchers and DCE out of your prizes. Despite the main Pokemon still existing, Night March's future doesn't look bright, as unless reprints or suitable replacements are made, it's not going to be nearly as consistent.

Donphan, Plasma, VirGen (noooooooooooooooooo)

Anything with/Garbodor (noooooooooooooooooo)

Landorus, Mew and MewTwo EX, SUICUNE

Mew EX is the only unfortunate casualty of the rotarion, since it allowed decks with low HP attackers to stand a fighting chance in the 2HKO metagame. Still, I think sweeping it away along with the other problem cards from late BW is worth it.

I actually think losing Town Map is a bigger blow to Night March than losing MewBeing able to see your Prizes and pick up important Double Colorless Energy and Night March Pokemon is a huge deal, especially with Mew gone and therefore all of the deck's main attackers are extremely fragile. You need to be sure you can hit the "magic" number every turn, and have the Energy to do it. Mew's perk was less that it had 1230 HP, but rather that by copying Joltik's Night March with Dimension Valley in play, it could attack for a sginle Basic Energy. Night March decks will now rely much more on DCE to stream their attackers, both making them vulnerable to Enhanced Hammer and prizing DCE that will be more difficult to retrieve.

On another note, Metal is yet another deck that is going to suffer from the rotation. On the surface, losing Cobalion-EX is a little annoying, but he hasn't seen that much success as of late, with Aegislash-EX the better option for dealing with Special Energy. Mewtwo-EX's rotation is also mitigated with the introduction of Lugia-EX from Ancient Origins. Lugia's Aero Ball attack is an exact reprint of Mewtwo's X-Ball. The big deal here is losing Keldeo=EX and Float Stone, which were important for accelerating Energy onto the Active. Dialga-EX hasn't seen much play lately, so it's not as big of a deal, but this was important for utilizing Heatran's Steam Blast. M-Rayquaza-EX focused Bronzong decks won't feel the hurt nearly as much, but standard Metal decks will sorely miss the free Retreat, especially with Bronzong and Aegislash both requiring a hefty Retreat Cost of three.

How does mew have 1230 hP?

He meant 120.

In any case, I completely disagree with Town Map being more important to Night March than Mew. Mew is the nail in the coffin. If anything, Town Map is someone kicking the coffin at the same time.

He meant 120.

In any case, I completely disagree with Town Map being more important to Night March than Mew. Mew is the nail in the coffin. If anything, Town Map is someone kicking the coffin at the same time.
I sorta agree with this. I run NightMarch quite successfully without Town Map, and I only run a single Mew. Though this is just for a weird meta, not too competitive :p

Metal gains Metagross, however.
It will be treated as the deck's Escape Rope on a stick that will make it easier to not get trapped.

Wailord loses much more than Hugh. It also loses Suicune and Max Potion, and even then, with grass being big again [even without VirGen] Wailord is done.

Donphan, LandoBats and VirGen are gone forever. D:

Aromatisse decks lose Max Potion, and there's no suitable replacement for it. This essentially kills Aromatisse.

Metal loses Keldeo and Float Stone. This is a bigger blow than you'd think, because even with Metagross, you're still going to need some way to retreat the new Pokémon. Next format will be harder for Metal.

M Rayquaza/Shaymin and Raichu both lose almost nothing.

Seismitoad Loses LaserBank and Garbodor, capping the toad's damage output at a pathetic 50 before bats. Couple that with M Sceptile-EX's low energy attack that heals and the fact that M Sceptile is immune to bat snipes and OHKO's Seismitoad, and the Toad may not be around too long next format.

Night March loses Mew-EX and Empoleon, making life much more difficult for the trio. Only time will tell.

Flareon is rotating, but is replaced by Vespiquen.

That's about all I can think of, feel free to comment on these!

Mr. Mime is gone so decks will be more susceptible to spread. There is Mountain Ring, but most decks will probably want to run another stadium and it can easily be bumped/paint rollered before the spread. Keldeo-EX/Float Stone being gone also helps spread decks get Pokemon stuck in the active. Popular bench hitters like Landorus-EX and Plasma Kyurem are gone, but there is still Noivern, Gourgeist, and Kyurem-EX. Not sure how much or how little bench damage will be common (either as the main focus of the deck or just from attacks a deck has access to) but low HP bench Pokemon are a bit more vulnerable.

This is a crazy idea for Aromatisse, but what if instead of Max Potions, you play with M-Sceptile and add Grass energy along with the Fairy and Rainbow energy? Not a perfect solution, but you get to deal damage along with your healing, so that's nice. Also regular Sceptile-EX has synergy with Malamar-EX and counters anything weak to Grass.

Other than the decks already mentioned in above posts, here is what else I can think of that are dead on rotation:

MRayMin loses Virizion-EX and Exeggute, two important pieces to the deck, although XY Slurpuff could be considered a Virizion-EX replacement...

Kyogre and Manectric decks lose Kingdra PLF, as with it, the ability to recycle Water and Lightning energies, and NXD/LTR Zapdos, respectively...

...That's all!

Metal gains Metagross, however.
It will be treated as the deck's Escape Rope on a stick that will make it easier to not get trapped.

There's still switch, but i don't know about metal decks enough to make the best conclusions, i hope metagross will make it though.

18936506063_eb213e10d3_n.jpg

It's a nice save, but the fact that your opponent switches too hurts it, making switch ideal instead, still its a nice tech.

Wow! love all the stuff you guys are submitting! For some reason, the title of my thread has changed, must have been swapped by a moderator.

Is metagross really worth it in metal decks? It's a stage 2, so it might make the deck clunky.
I doubt Metagross will work. You really need a 2-1-2 + 2 Candy to get it out consistently if at all, which you may as well fill those slots with switches and/or escape ropes.

I doubt Metagross will work. You really need a 2-1-2 + 2 Candy to get it out consistently if at all, which you may as well fill those slots with switches and/or escape ropes.
I've done testing with proxies, and it's good for tight situations when you need to re-fuel or take down 180 hp pokemon, good price trade as well, I think you'll see it like you did with kling klang.

I've done testing with proxies, and it's good for tight situations when you need to re-fuel or take down 180 hp pokemon, good price trade as well, I think you'll see it like you did with kling klang.
Proxies against what exactly?

Camerupt, M Ray, Yveltal, Wailord, Mirror at my local league.
How about things like Raichu, Nightmarch, Flareon/Vespiqueen, Toad, Metal, P-Groudon, P-Kyogre, LandoBats, etc? Yveltal and Wailord, Camerupt aren't really great decks atm, while M-Ray is mediocre.

How about things like Raichu, Nightmarch, Flareon/Vespiqueen, Toad, Metal, P-Groudon, P-Kyogre, LandoBats, etc? Yveltal and Wailord, Camerupt aren't really great decks atm, while M-Ray is mediocre.

It was just the decks that I played against, I didn't imply it being the new op-i-win-button machine, just that it was actually good enough to be used.

Also, agaisnt raichu,nightmarch, vespiqueen i'd expect a lot of trouble with aegislash blocking them.

LandoBats doesn't matter because it will be rotated out in standard, standard is the focus here, and the most played, and the only format available to play for me at leagues.

I haven't played for more than a month, I'm not an expert, just intrigued and interested. I'm gonna be using a proxy Giratina deck this week, I think it's not gonna be the best, it's one of those really amazing or really bad deck depending on matchup.

Back