Deck Percentages in PTCG Online

Ziggy

Aspiring Trainer
I was wondering what % would u say makes a good deck in the game

like 70/100 90/100

Just wondering what numbers you call good :)

Thx in advance

Greetings Ziggy

Otaku

The wise fool?
I... don't understand the question. Percentages of what, exactly?

Are you talking deck composition? Matchups?

bam1991dbz

Aspiring Trainer
I... don't understand the question. Percentages of what, exactly?

Are you talking deck composition? Matchups?

I think s/he means win percentage. Like winning numerator over denominator amount of games.

I personally think anything over 80% is a wonderful deck list win percentage. 90% and above is the "go win World's percentage".

lukas2aces

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
If you mean win rate on the Versus ladder:

I'm quite happy if I have a deck with a win rate of like 65 %. If I notice it's more like 50 %, then it's not a deck I should take to a tournament, because you should have an above average win rate on the Versus ladder I guess. But I don't think you can expect to have a win rate of 80 %. But remember most tournaments have best of 3, so with a win rate of 65 % you should be able to win 2 of 3 games quite a lot.

However, there are a lot of 'strange decks' (not meta) which you will face on the Versus ladder. That might change your score. Sometimes you will face 'easy wins', but I also played and lost against decks I think I'll never play against IRL.

And don't trust your win percentage unless you played a lot of games already with it (like 50 - 100 minimum). Otherwise you can't really tell, I had a win streak of 11 once, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll win the next tournament with it (which I indeed did not :))

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
on one hand you could look at win/loss ratios and consider a deck will be good or not. and on the other hand you might get a considerably off-putting amount of losses because you open with 1 lele ,3 guzmas, and 3 DCE's then top deck a sycamore. my advice playtest in person where your deck doesnt stack to the whims of a rng.

lukas2aces

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
That's exactly why you need to play a lot of games, because over a lot of games, randomness gets ignored. If you then will loose 5 games out of 100 because you start Lele, then you might also consider to cut one Lele (if you have 3 or 4) or add more other basics, because then it apparently is a problem (although starting Lele isn't a 100 % loss of the game of course).

Because 3 DCE's and 1 Sycamore can happen in a real tournament as well, so it wouldn't be fair to completely 'ignore' such games.

Otaku

The wise fool?
If you mean win rate on the Versus ladder:

I'm quite happy if I have a deck with a win rate of like 65 %. If I notice it's more like 50 %, then it's not a deck I should take to a tournament, because you should have an above average win rate on the Versus ladder I guess. But I don't think you can expect to have a win rate of 80 %. But remember most tournaments have best of 3, so with a win rate of 65 % you should be able to win 2 of 3 games quite a lot.

However, there are a lot of 'strange decks' (not meta) which you will face on the Versus ladder. That might change your score. Sometimes you will face 'easy wins', but I also played and lost against decks I think I'll never play against IRL.

And don't trust your win percentage unless you played a lot of games already with it (like 50 - 100 minimum). Otherwise you can't really tell, I had a win streak of 11 once, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll win the next tournament with it (which I indeed did not :))

Good points, but I want to point out that the matching system for the Versus Ladder on the PTCGO is... odd. It tries to give you a "fair but challenging" match up but the catch is it is limited to whomever is online at that exact moment. Also, IRL events are random (within your age bracket) about that first round pairing; it can take a few rounds before the lowest tier players have been filtered out.

So... I guess I'm saying PTCGO win ratios don't usually tell you much unless you play a lot, in an appropriate time frame, and the results are extremely high or low.