• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Decidueye GX/Zoroark GX Deck List

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Is there any way we can remove the threat of Special Energy removal? Everybody nowadays is including Enhanced Hammer, Kartana GX, Mismagius, or Noivern GX and I'm tired of having all of my energy discarded. My best solution is to conserve energy until you can take a K.O., Hollow Hunt GX, or use cards like Puzzle of Time (I play four as my preference, but I know not everybody does). Maybe if a card like the FCO Carbink releases that prevents Basic Energy removal from Basics from abilities, moves, or Trainers but for Special Energy. Or maybe something like Magearna EX but for abilities, attacks, Trainers, etc.

Any solutions would be great. Thanks!

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Great list and idea! The only change I would make is to swap Hoopa for Espeon-EX; it combos too well with Decidueye and Koko to not include IMO. Hoopa is nice but it seems to be the least nessescary card on your list.

FrostBiter12

Great list and idea! The only change I would make is to swap Hoopa for Espeon-EX; it combos too well with Decidueye and Koko to not include IMO. Hoopa is nice but it seems to be the least nessescary card on your list.

I (personally) have had trouble with Tapu Bulu/Vikavolt, Volcanion EX, Darkrai EX, and any other speedy EX/GX attacker and Hoopa has helped tremendously in this department. I do agree with the Espeon EX though, so maybe remove a Tapu Koko as you can always Rescue Stretcher it back. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Here's the list I plan on running:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 23

* 3 Zorua BKT 89
* 1 Zoroark BKT 91
* 2 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 4 Rowlet SUM 9
* 2 Dartrix SUM 10
* 4 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 52
* 1 Latios SLG 41
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 N DEX 96
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Mallow GRI 127
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93

##Energy - 7

* 3 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Here's what I decided to change and why:

-1 Zoroark-GX, +1 Zoroark BKT. The Mind Jack math is perfect with Choice Band and Decidueye, and Stand In+Float Stone is a great solution to the pesky retreat problem. 2 Zoroark-GXes also seems like enough to me. Let me explain the Mind Jack math:

150 (your opponent 's full bench)+10 (base damage)+30 (choice band)+60 (3 feather arrows)=250. This is the ideal scenario, and Zoroark absolutely wrecks face in this kind of scenario. 250 OHKOs everything in the Standard format, and even Gardevoir with it's Resistance to Dark falls to this.

120 (your opponent's almost full bench)+10 (base damage)+30 (choice band)+60 (3 feather arrows)=220. All Stage 1 and Basic EXs/GXs will fall.

There are tons of other good numbers you can hit, but you get the idea. Mind Jack is a great one-time nuke option and also is a good out to Hoopa/Baby 9tales.

-1 Koko, +1 Latios. Decided to go with the 1/1 split since you need the Guzma pivot less with Stand In+Float Stone, and 30+30 to Benched sometimes adds up better than 20 everywhere.

-1 Hoopa, +1 Espeon-EX. I think Espeon is a better tech than Hoopa. It helps in alot of matchups and acts as another wincon that is more easily achieved than the Hoopa wincon. Mind Jack also helps against Volc, so you don't need Hoopa as much.

-1 Guzma, +1 N. I've made the deck a little more snipe focused, so Guzma isn't needed as much. I also feel that 4 Sycamore/4 N is a nessescity in this format, even with Trade and Mallow.

Hope this was helpful! :)

FrostBiter12

Here's the list I plan on running:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 23

* 3 Zorua BKT 89
* 1 Zoroark BKT 91
* 2 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 4 Rowlet SUM 9
* 2 Dartrix SUM 10
* 4 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 52
* 1 Latios SLG 41
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 N DEX 96
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Mallow GRI 127
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93

##Energy - 7

* 3 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Here's what I decided to change and why:

-1 Zoroark-GX, +1 Zoroark BKT. The Mind Jack math is perfect with Choice Band and Decidueye, and Stand In+Float Stone is a great solution to the pesky retreat problem. 2 Zoroark-GXes also seems like enough to me. Let me explain the Mind Jack math:

150 (your opponent 's full bench)+10 (base damage)+30 (choice band)+60 (3 feather arrows)=250. This is the ideal scenario, and Zoroark absolutely wrecks face in this kind of scenario. 250 OHKOs everything in the Standard format, and even Gardevoir with it's Resistance to Dark falls to this.

120 (your opponent's almost full bench)+10 (base damage)+30 (choice band)+60 (3 feather arrows)=220. All Stage 1 and Basic EXs/GXs will fall.

There are tons of other good numbers you can hit, but you get the idea. Mind Jack is a great one-time nuke option and also is a good out to Hoopa/Baby 9tales.

-1 Koko, +1 Latios. Decided to go with the 1/1 split since you need the Guzma pivot less with Stand In+Float Stone, and 30+30 to Benched sometimes adds up better than 20 everywhere.

-1 Hoopa, +1 Espeon-EX. I think Espeon is a better tech than Hoopa. It helps in alot of matchups and acts as another wincon that is more easily achieved than the Hoopa wincon. Mind Jack also helps against Volc, so you don't need Hoopa as much.

-1 Guzma, +1 N. I've made the deck a little more snipe focused, so Guzma isn't needed as much. I also feel that 4 Sycamore/4 N is a nessescity in this format, even with Trade and Mallow.

Hope this was helpful! :)

Nice list! I like the baby Zoroark as a one-prize attacker, just worried about not always getting the Zoroark GX when you need it. Zoroark GX is crucial in setting up Decidueye GX as you draw the 9 card hand after Sycamore+Trade. I suggest maybe playing Puzzle of Time. I play this deck with four Puzzles and they help a lot when you discard a card with Trade that you may need later. It is just my personal preference though, so don't worry if you feel like the deck doesn't need it.

On the topic of N and Guzma, I'd reverse what you had said (-1 Guzma, +1 N) because of Zoroark GX. If you (or your opponent) reduce(s) your hand to below four, your more than likely going to draw something that you can't discard with Trade (which is why I play Puzzle of Time just in case). The Sycamore+Trade is (in my opinion) way better than a N to four+Trade.

Hoopa is now a must (once again, in my opinion) due to Volcanion EX and all assortment of EXs/GXs. Without Hoopa, Volcanion OHKOs Decidueye GX and THKOs (if they don't OHKO) Zoroark GX. Tapu Bulu GX/Vikavolt is also a rough matchup due to OHKO on Zoroark GX with a Choice Band. Not to mention (though they aren't as popular anymore) Turbo Dark is way to fast for Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX to handle. At this point (due to the release of SHL Shining Genesect/Venusuar), I'm considering inserting Jolteon EX again just because of the weakness to Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX to fast-paced basic decks.

A new deck that could be a threat to Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX is the Weavile/Spread decks. Almost all of the Pokémon included in this deck have abilities, and spreading 60 damage to each of them per turn is deadly. I'm considering finding room for a Mr. Mime (BKT) if the become popular enough. I don't know if everybody agrees on this, so let me know what you think.

I hope what I mentioned is useful, and keep in mind I prefer certain cards (like Puzzle of Time) so don't worry about finding room for them if you disagree. Once again, let me know what you think and thanks!

Draskk

Blast From The Past
I started playing my list for the deck, it does super well! I love it :D thanks for the idea @Duo!
Nice list! I like the baby Zoroark as a one-prize attacker, just worried about not always getting the Zoroark GX when you need it. Zoroark GX is crucial in setting up Decidueye GX as you draw the 9 card hand after Sycamore+Trade. I suggest maybe playing Puzzle of Time. I play this deck with four Puzzles and they help a lot when you discard a card with Trade that you may need later. It is just my personal preference though, so don't worry if you feel like the deck doesn't need it.

On the topic of N and Guzma, I'd reverse what you had said (-1 Guzma, +1 N) because of Zoroark GX. If you (or your opponent) reduce(s) your hand to below four, your more than likely going to draw something that you can't discard with Trade (which is why I play Puzzle of Time just in case). The Sycamore+Trade is (in my opinion) way better than a N to four+Trade.

Hoopa is now a must (once again, in my opinion) due to Volcanion EX and all assortment of EXs/GXs. Without Hoopa, Volcanion OHKOs Decidueye GX and THKOs (if they don't OHKO) Zoroark GX. Tapu Bulu GX/Vikavolt is also a rough matchup due to OHKO on Zoroark GX with a Choice Band. Not to mention (though they aren't as popular anymore) Turbo Dark is way to fast for Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX to handle. At this point (due to the release of SHL Shining Genesect/Venusuar), I'm considering inserting Jolteon EX again just because of the weakness to Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX to fast-paced basic decks.

A new deck that could be a threat to Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX is the Weavile/Spread decks. Almost all of the Pokémon included in this deck have abilities, and spreading 60 damage to each of them per turn is deadly. I'm considering finding room for a Mr. Mime (BKT) if the become popular enough. I don't know if everybody agrees on this, so let me know what you think.

I hope what I mentioned is useful, and keep in mind I prefer certain cards (like Puzzle of Time) so don't worry about finding room for them if you disagree. Once again, let me know what you think and thanks!
I actually beat Volcanion alot with this deck; baby Zoroark helps alot and you dont usually attack with Decidueye so they have to Guzma it (although when I do lose to Volc it's because I just couldn't keep up, which is kinda just an inherent problem with the deck). Turbo Darkrai is actually alot slower than it used to be; they tend to just sit behind Yveltal for a few turns before actually doing anything. I don't think Weavile is big enough to run Mime yet. Bulu/Volt is an OK matchup w/ Espeon-EX; if you get rid of their Vikavolt theyre just kinda screwed TBH. Not to mention OHKOing Bulu is always a possibility with Feather Arrow. I'd rather have the fourth N over the third Guzma just for consistency; but really its personal preference. Puzzle is really an interesting idea; but I just can't see how to fit it in. I've had no trouble setting up Zoroark GXes (and I don't have a third one yet lol) so I'm definitely keeping in Mind Jack. It has it's clutch moments.

FrostBiter12

I started playing my list for the deck, it does super well! I love it :D thanks for the idea @Duo!

I actually beat Volcanion alot with this deck; baby Zoroark helps alot and you dont usually attack with Decidueye so they have to Guzma it (although when I do lose to Volc it's because I just couldn't keep up, which is kinda just an inherent problem with the deck). Turbo Darkrai is actually alot slower than it used to be; they tend to just sit behind Yveltal for a few turns before actually doing anything. I don't think Weavile is big enough to run Mime yet. Bulu/Volt is an OK matchup w/ Espeon-EX; if you get rid of their Vikavolt theyre just kinda screwed TBH. Not to mention OHKOing Bulu is always a possibility with Feather Arrow. I'd rather have the fourth N over the third Guzma just for consistency; but really its personal preference. Puzzle is really an interesting idea; but I just can't see how to fit it in. I've had no trouble setting up Zoroark GXes (and I don't have a third one yet lol) so I'm definitely keeping in Mind Jack. It has it's clutch moments.

Cool, whatever works for you. As you said, the problem with Volcanion EX, Tapu Bulu GX/Vikavolt, and Turbo Dark (but based upon what you said, not as much as before) is keeping up with them. I seem to play the deck a different way then everybody else as in I attack very aggressively with Zoroark GX. Against the decks mentioned above, Zoroark GX doesn't stand a chance as they can just blow you up with Bright Flame, Choice Banded Nature's Judgement, and a lot of Darkness Energy. I have found that the best way to counter those decks is literally stall for a few turns and set up Decidueye GXs and then steamroll them. So I guess I either need to change my playstyle or stick with what I've got.

I'd like to say that (in my opinion), Shining Genesect/Venusaur is going to be a formidable force and the best way to counter it is either Volcanion EX/Fire or Jolteon EX. The only thing that is holding the deck back is the rarity of the Shining Genesect itself. As time passes though, a good amount of people will have everything they need for the deck. Once again, this is just a prediction so don't worry if you feel it is incorrect. I just feel that Jolteon EX will be needed soon.

On Puzzles of Time, I have had to cut a few cards that really hurt but the overall use in the deck is fantastic. Just discard that Double Colorless Energy and Choice Band needed to win? Mallow for a Double Puzzle. Also, you have a great chance of just drawing into them off the Sycamore+Trade for 9 without Mallow. In order to fit them though, I've had to cut the second Brigette, fourth Rare Candy, second Rescue Stretcher, and the third Tapu Lele GX. That is a lot, but it is worth it in my opinion. If I could just fit the second Brigette in I'd be content. Whatever works for you though.

The baby Zoroark is a nice one-prize attacker, but I'd suggest adding in the third Zoroark GX (don't have to if you can't get the third one). Keeping the baby Zoroark GX and having three Zoroark GX would be great if you could find the room.

By the way, could you further explain how to beat Tapu Bulu/Vikavolt? My problem is my opponent usually sets down two Grubbin at the beginning of the game and I don't have enough Feather Arrows to take out both. Even if I take out one Vikavolt (Grubbin through devolution), all they need is a Rare Candy since they have the Vikavolt in hand. Maybe attack with Tapu Koko promo more often (I've been stalling with Hoopa until my Decidueye GXs are locked and loaded)?

Thanks for explaining and I hope my suggestions help. Thanks!

Last edited:

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Basically how I play the VikaBulu matchup is Guzma one Grubbin, then use Latios. Then, try to get out two Decidueyes, and Feather Arrow both Grubbins, then Latios again. If they evolve, or you don't get out both Decidueyes, use Espeon-EX later on to K.O their Vikavolts.

FrostBiter12

Basically how I play the VikaBulu matchup is Guzma one Grubbin, then use Latios. Then, try to get out two Decidueyes, and Feather Arrow both Grubbins, then Latios again. If they evolve, or you don't get out both Decidueyes, use Espeon-EX later on to K.O their Vikavolts.

Thanks! I guess I'm going to need a Latios now. Do you think I can use Tapu Koko promo instead or does it have to be Latios (due to the +10 damage)?

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Thanks! I guess I'm going to need a Latios now. Do you think I can use Tapu Koko promo instead or does it have to be Latios (due to the +10 damage)?
I like one of each if you can fit both in, since sometimes the math on one is better than the other. Koko is also nice for a Guzma pivot. VS VikaBulu, Latios is better since it means you need one less Feather Arrow per Grubbin to take K.Oes, and in scenarios where your opponent has two sixty HP Basics down (think Beldum, Ralts, A-Vulpix, etc), but Koko is better everywhere else.

FrostBiter12

I like one of each if you can fit both in, since sometimes the math on one is better than the other. Koko is also nice for a Guzma pivot. VS VikaBulu, Latios is better since it means you need one less Feather Arrow per Grubbin to take K.Oes, and in scenarios where your opponent has two sixty HP Basics down (think Beldum, Ralts, A-Vulpix, etc), but Koko is better everywhere else.

So both are just situational. I guess I do need a Latios. This is troubling, as I have over seven techs planned for this deck (Tapu Koko promo, Latios, Hoopa, Espeon EX, Jolteon EX, Mr. Mime, baby Zoroark), maybe to much? Anyways, thanks for the advice!

Draskk

Blast From The Past
So both are just situational. I guess I do need a Latios. This is troubling, as I have over seven techs planned for this deck (Tapu Koko promo, Latios, Hoopa, Espeon EX, Jolteon EX, Mr. Mime, baby Zoroark), maybe to much? Anyways, thanks for the advice!
You could probably do without Jolteon TBH; the format is mostly evolutions and Hoopa covers all the Basic decks that exist right now anyways.

FrostBiter12

You could probably do without Jolteon TBH; the format is mostly evolutions and Hoopa covers all the Basic decks that exist right now anyways.

Except Shining Genescet/Venusauar. You're probably right though, I could do without the Jolteon EX. I think I'll just reduce my tech list down to Tapu Koko, Hoopa, and Espeon EX. Unless spread decks get popular, I'll stick to that (maybe Latios if I need it). Thanks for the advice!

Mack Dabson

Ur mom likes my pokemon
alright so I've been playing espeon ex in there now and It's the only way to beat overpowered stage 2 decks, so its pretty much a must have

Wechselbalg

brb
So I decided to jump on the Decidueye/Zoroark bandwagon too - Zoroark/Vespiquen is great in Expanded but sometimes it can get mind-numbingly broken with all those eggs. (And now I even have my 3rd Zoroark GX ayyyy, couldn't wait until the box I now I'm terrible:D) Due to the limitations of Standard, Decidueye/Zoro is a lot more difficult to play and requires better decision making skills and I like that a lot.

I have to agree that Espeon EX really is a must have for this deck because of decks like Garde and Metagross or even Golisopod. I'm not sure about the usefulness of Hoopa, since Volc has no problem dealing with it - a fully charged up baby Volc gets rid of it with just 1 Steam Up and in other match-ups the opponent can just get it out of the way with Guzma anyway. And Garde has Gallade. Metagross or Ninetales might have a difficult time with it, since they don't really have any options to OHKO it, but that's about it I guess.

My biggest concern about the future of this deck is Xurkitree - I really can't see DeciZoro running basic energy and then it's game over against that deck. And I'm pretty sure that it'll become quite popular. Buzzwole could also become a real threat because of the weakness factor. Second is that the deck itself is also quite weak to devolution strategies - all the opponent needs is 60 DMG (that's only 3 flying flips, 1 Black Ray GX or only 1 Rule of Evil!) on most of your 'mons and then here comes Espeon EX and then it's basically game over. Teching in Mr. Mime is rather difficult, since you really need that bench space for the Decidueyes and there will be at least 1 Lele on your bench most of the time too.

These concerns aside, I do like the Puzzle of Time suggestion. Right now I run 1 Special Charge to get those DCEs and Rainbows that I needed to discard back into the deck, but Mallowing into a double puzzle sounds great, have to try it out. Jolteon is also another sensible suggestion against decks like Volc, Darkrai and Shining Genesect if it does end up being a popular deck. Could also help out against Buzzwole.

Last edited:

FrostBiter12

So I decided to jump on the Decidueye/Zoroark bandwagon too - Zoroark/Vespiquen is great in Expanded but sometimes it can get mind-numbingly broken with all those eggs. (And now I even have my 3rd Zoroark GX ayyyy, couldn't wait until the box I now I'm terrible:D) Due to the limitations of Standard, Decidueye/Zoro is a lot more difficult to play and requires better decision making skills and I like that a lot.

I have to agree that Espeon EX really is a must have for this deck because of decks like Garde and Metagross or even Golisopod. I'm not sure about the usefulness of Hoopa, since Volc has no problem dealing with it - a fully charged up baby Volc gets rid of it with just 1 Steam Up and in other match-ups the opponent can just get it out of the way with Guzma anyway. And Garde has Gallade. Metagross or Ninetales might have a difficult time with it, since they don't really have any options to OHKO it, but that's about it I guess.

My biggest concern about the future of this deck is Xurkitree - I really can't see DeciZoro running basic energy and then it's game over against that deck. And I'm pretty sure that it'll become quite popular. Buzzwole could also become a real threat because of the weakness factor. Second is that the deck itself is also quite weak to devolution strategies - all the opponent needs is 60 DMG (that's only 3 flying flips, 1 Black Ray GX or only 1 Rule of Evil!) on most of your 'mons and then here comes Espeon EX and then it's basically game over. Teching in Mr. Mime is rather difficult, since you really need that bench space for the Decidueyes and there will be at least 1 Lele on your bench most of the time too.

These concerns aside, I do like the Puzzle of Time suggestion. Right now I run 1 Special Charge to get those DCEs and Rainbows that I needed to discard back into the deck, but Mallowing into a double puzzle sounds great, have to try it out. Jolteon is also another sensible suggestion against decks like Volc, Darkrai and Shining Genesect if it does end up being a popular deck. Could also help out against Buzzwole.

Glad your enjoying the deck! Here are my thoughts on what you mentioned:

The Xuritree GX is a threat, I have to agree. My solution is to use either Espeon EX's Psyshock (which deals 70 for a [P][C][C] and passes through the ability) or Jolteon EX's Swift (which deals 30 for a [L] and passes through the ability). Rainbow Energy will help fit the bill.

I agree with almost everything about Hoopa except for Volcanion EX. If your opponent does charge up a baby Volcanion, it is a quick K.O. (after a Flying Flip) for Zoroark GX since you opponent use all of those resources to charge up the baby instead of any other attacker. I think it is just removing those threats early before they set up and sweep them after removing those threats. For Gardevoir GX/Gallade, you have Espeon EX so you may not need to set down the Hoopa unless you need to. Anyways, Hoopa is only a one-prize so you don't have to worry to much if your opponent K.O.s it (especially with Rescue Stretchers, Puzzles of Time, and Hollow Hunt GX).

If the Spread decks do become popular, you could always remove the Hoopa/Jolteon EX for Mr. Mime since Volcanion EX, Metagross GX, Gardevoir GX, etc. will lose popularity (due to Spread decks). Most of the time, you'll only need one Decidueye GX due to the low HP of Weavile, Tapu Koko, and Meowstic and only a few high HP attackers like Necrozma GX. I think we could find room for just one if, once again, the Spread decks become popular enough ( a big "if").

Puzzles of Time are great in my opinion. The retrieval option for a anything you need combined with either Mallow or Sycamore+Trade synergizes well with the fact that Trade requires discarding a card (like a valuable resource). Jolteon EX and Hoopa is a personally preference and local meta option, so whatever you fell works the best should do the trick.

Hope this helps, let me know what you think. Thanks!

Last edited:

EarthwormZim

Aspiring Trainer
Just realized that Espeon EX's Psyshock attack can get through the Hoopa, baby Ninetales, and Xuritree GX (This attack's damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokemon.). It might be more viable then we thought!

lol yeah, A lot of people sleep on Espeon EX's second attack. It let me beat a Hoopa-heavy deck with Marshadow Toolbox since he kept throwing Hoopas out which just got OHKO'd by Marshadow due to weakness. I imagine he was very confused as to what was going on. I imagine it'll also be crucial for me to beat Xurkitree GX, which is also weak to Fighting fortunately :)

FrostBiter12

lol yeah, A lot of people sleep on Espeon EX's second attack. It let me beat a Hoopa-heavy deck with Marshadow Toolbox since he kept throwing Hoopas out which just got OHKO'd by Marshadow due to weakness. I imagine he was very confused as to what was going on. I imagine it'll also be crucial for me to beat Xurkitree GX, which is also weak to Fighting fortunately :)

Another option is Jolteon EX's Swift for one [L] if you don't have time to attach all of that energy on Marshadow GX (if you ever play a Jolteon EX). Good luck with the Marshbox!

Wechselbalg

brb
Glad your enjoying the deck! Here are my thoughts on what you mentioned:

The Xuritree GX is a threat, I have to agree. My solution is to use either Espeon EX's Psyshock (which deals 70 for a [P][C][C] and passes through the ability) or Jolteon EX's Swift (which deals 30 for a [L] and passes through the ability). Rainbow Energy will help fit the bill.
Right, that is actually a viable solution. I have to admit that I am actually one of those people who have "slept upon" the second attack of Espeon EX, mostly because I'm a bit afraid to attach 1 energy+1 DCE to a somewhat frail tech card with psychic weakness to boot. (The latter only matters in certain match-ups obviously.) Because of that mentality I never even considered Espeon EX as a main attacker against Xurkitree. But even if you only have 1 Decidueye in play, you can at least 2 shot Xurkitree with Espeon EX+1Feather Arrow, so it is possible to play around that ability with this deck. Suddenly the match-up doesn't look that terrible to me anymore.

Yeah, I guess the only solution against spread decks will be a Mr. Mime tech.

I also added 4 Puzzles of Time to the deck and I have to admit too that they work amazing in this deck! Mallow, Trade, PoT and Hollow Hunt give great flexibility to this deck as far as resource management goes. My biggest problem with the current Standard format is that getting cards back from your discard is quite problematic. (Unless you're called Gardevoir GX.) For a competitive deck, every single card - apart from a few match-up specific techs - counts. If you're forced to discard one or two of them in the early game it can really hurt you later on and POT is unreliable if you don't have the means to get 2 of them at the exact time when you need them. That is no longer a problem in this deck and that is one of the reasons why I'm starting to like this more and more. It requires an offensive playstyle with a heavy emphasis on intelligent resource management, and it can also afford to include a few quirks like the Espeon EX devolution strategy and imo there is no other deck in the current Standard meta that has such a complex and interesting playstyle. (Altough Decidueye/Zoroark is yet to reach meta status, but who knows.) The only thing that might be similar is Ninetales/Zoroark/Espeon.

Last edited:

FrostBiter12

Right, that is actually a viable solution. I have to admit that I am actually one of those people who have "slept upon" the second attack of Espeon EX, mostly because I'm a bit afraid to attach 1 energy+1 DCE to a somewhat frail tech card with psychic weakness to boot. (The latter only matters in certain match-ups obviously.) Because of that mentality I never even considered Espeon EX as a main attacker against Xurkitree. But even if you only have 1 Decidueye in play, you can at least 2 shot Xurkitree with Espeon EX+1Feather Arrow, so it is possible to play around that ability with this deck. Suddenly the match-up doesn't look that terrible to me anymore.

Yeah, I guess the only solution against spread decks will be a Mr. Mime tech.

I also added 4 Puzzles of Time to the deck and I have to admit too that they work amazing in this deck! Mallow, Trade, PoT and Hollow Hunt give great flexibility to this deck as far as resource management goes. My biggest problem with the current Standard format is that getting cards back from your discard is quite problematic. (Unless you're called Gardevoir GX.) For a competitive deck, every single card - apart from a few match-up specific techs - counts. If you're forced to discard one or two of them in the early game it can really hurt you later on and POT is unreliable if you don't have the means to get 2 of them at the exact time when you need them. That is no longer a problem in this deck and that is one of the reasons why I'm starting to like this more and more. It requires an offensive playstyle with a heavy emphasis on intelligent resource management, and it can also afford to include a few quirks like the Espeon EX devolution strategy and imo there is no other deck in the current Standard meta that has such a complex and interesting playstyle. (Altough Decidueye/Zoroark is yet to reach meta status, but who knows.) The only thing that might be similar is Ninetales/Zoroark/Espeon.

I definitely agree playstyle wise. The deck is not just fun, but really complex and hard to play. Once you master it though, you control almost every single game and I just love an extreme tactical playstyle. Glad my suggestions can help and that you're enjoying the deck! I'm actually considering playing this at Charlotte Regionals if I feel it is a good meta call. If I do, I'll let everyone know how I place. Thanks and good luck with Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX!

Last edited: