Writing Cynter's Adventures in Alola - An Ultra Moon Playthrough (Updated: 22 May - Chapter 3)

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
All I could find this time.

Also this is kinda nitpicky but would you be willing to put the team specs inside the spoiler? I don't wanna be like oh hey new chapter and then immediately see Cynter's new catch without having read a word.

Sure, no problem! I went ahead and added that to the last chapter just to help remind me for the next one.

DoubleAACE

Professional Lurker
So far it's a good read! Joining in the group of non USUM players learning the game from this story.

Found a thing you might want to fix early in chapter 2, the tense doesn't match up around this line.
I pat him on the head. "Thanks for helping me out, buddy."

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
So far it's a good read! Joining in the group of non USUM players learning the game from this story.

Found a thing you might want to fix early in chapter 2, the tense doesn't match up around this line.

Thanks, I got that touched up. ^^

PS: Aiming for next update Thursday or Friday this week.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Chapter 3: The Iki Town Festival

Lillie and I made our way back to the village without any further mishap. Arriving back, I learned that she was actually Kukui's assistant! I would have thought that a professor's assistant would be a bit more knowledgeable and useful regarding Pokémon, but considering that I'm a "trainer" that couldn't tell you the difference between a Charizard and a Charjabug, I felt it best to keep my mouth shut.

Kukui was just asking Lillie to help me find my way around when we were interrupted by cheers from the southern part of the town. It seems Kahuna Hala made it back to town. He was a rather large, imposing man with a mustache almost as large as his belly, and a big, booming voice. He brushed off concerns about his sudden disappearance and immediately changed the subject.

"Oh, yes, yes, a little disturbance to the west. As kahuna, it's my job to keep track of all such troubles, you see. And while I was out, I could have sworn I saw Tapu Koko flying around. Strange, isn't it? My eyes must be playing tricks with me."

"Not at all, Mr. Kahuna, sir!" Lillie immediately piped up. Nebby here was attacked by some Spearow, and I was so scared, but then Cynter was suddenly there!" Nebby, the troublemaker himself, jumped out of the bag and started bouncing around as if reenacting the scene himself.

I internally facepalmed. So much for Lillie swearing me to secrecy about her Pokémon. At least she's the one blabbing her mouth about it and not me.

Ignoring my reaction, Lillie continued breathlessly. "She and that Litten of hers made mincemeat out of the mean old Spearow, but then the bridge collapsed! I thought they were done for, but then Tapu Koko swooped in and saved them!"

"Bwahahaha!! That fickle Topu Koko rushing in to save our new young trainer. Doesn't that just put a smile on your face?" Hala wrapped me in a giant bear hug, lifting me off the ground. "Yes, I think we have a big reason to celebrate today!"

"Pleasure to meet you too, Kahuna Hala, and thanks for the Pokémon," I managed to wheeze out before being set back on the ground.

"I've got a few more gifts for you as well, Cynter," Kukui piped up from the side. "Your very own Pokédex and Trainer Passport! You should be all set to go on your travels now."

"Thanks," I repeated, grabbing both items and shoving them in my bag. I'd take a look through both later. For now, the excitement of the evening was beginning to take its toll on me, and I smelled an escape route. "I think I ought to head back home for now, though. Both Popoki and I are pretty tired from the battle, and from being rescued by a legendary Pokémon and all. I think we need to hit the hay."

"One last thing before you go," Hala said thoughtfully. "You wouldn't have happened to get some kind of shiny stone when you encountered Tapu Koko, did you?"

"Oh, umm, actually, yeah, I did." I rummaged through my bag and pulled out the strange stone from the bridge. I had kind of forgotten about the thing, to be honest, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had something to do with Tapu Koko.

Hala picked up the stone from my palm gingerly, almost as if he were afraid of breaking it. He held it up to the moonlight, watching it glisten. Speaking softly, almost to himself, he said, "Perhaps you are here in Alola, Cynter, because this is where you are meant to be." He nodded once and then pocketed the stone. "I'm going to hold onto this for you for a short while, if you don't mind. I'll give it back to you tomorrow at the festival. You will be coming, of course?"

A festival, huh? Sure, why not. I nodded in agreement, said my goodbyes, and headed out of town, back down the path towards home. Poor Popoki seemed to be dozing off on his feet, so halfway home, I picked him up and carried him the rest of the way.

He was snoring cutely on my shoulder when I opened the front door. Mum was tidying up the kitchen and she turned around when she heard the latch, squealing in delight at the little bundle of red and black fluff on my shoulder. "Ahhh! Who do we have here? I didn't expect you'd get a Pokémon so soon! What cute little jellybean toes!"

She made us up a batch of tea, and as we waited for the water to boil, I started in on the story of the evening's events. It seemed like way much more had happened than could conceivably happen in the space of a couple hours, and by the time the story was over, the tea was gone, and only dregs were left in the pot.

As I spoke, Mum listened closely, petting Popoki as he slowly fell back asleep on the kitchen table. "Well, it seems like you two are making quite the partnership so far. You seem happy, for the first time in a while."

Am I happy? Really? I couldn't help but think about it as I carried my slumbering Pokémon upstairs to bed with me. The evening's events had ranged from hectic to downright terrifying, but... maybe I could get used to this.

The next day, Mum and I worked to start making our new house a home. Mom's cousins had been pretty diligent about setting the place up for us nicely, but it didn't feel quite like ours yet. We spent the morning rearranging furniture, then did a big shop to stock the house up with plenty of food and other comforts. Mom also insisted on buying me a wide assortment of stuff for Popoki, including an expansive grooming set as well as bunch of food and treats. It seemed a bit much to me, but Popoki really enjoyed the treats, and also the hour-long grooming session I gave him that afternoon when we were all done with the house stuff.

Mum and I had just finished our dinner when Kukui invited himself in to accompany me to the festival. I'd asked Mum earlier if she wanted to come, but she brushed me off, claiming that she wanted to work on some more cleaning in the evening. The excuse felt a bit flimsy to me, but I wasn't going to push. Instead, we hugged and she wished me a good time as I left the house, Popoki running on my heels.

I'd expected Kukui to turn right, taking the same path back to Iki Town as I'd taken the previous evening, but instead he headed left towards Route 1. Curious, I jogged to catch up to him as he stood in the middle of some tall grass. I looked at Popoki to confirm that he was ready, just in case any trouble cropped up, then entered the grass at Kukui's side.

"Alright, Cynter, since you're a Pokémon trainer now, there's one very important thing you need to learn, and that's how to catch wild Pokémon. You're not going to get many more free gifts like Popoki there, after all. To build up your Pokémon team, you're going to have to catch them yourself... like that one, there!"

I turned my head to follow Kukui's sudden attention shift as a Pokémon trundled out of the grass into the clearing where we stood. It was some kind of bug. I pulled out my Pokédex and held it up to the creature to identify it as a Grubbin. Gross. Why would anyone want to catch a Pokémon like that? It was probably carrying at least fourteen diseases. Nevertheless, I bit my tongue and watch Kukui at work.

"First up, we need to weaken the wild Pokémon. Rockruff, go do your stuff!" The professor pulled out a Pokéball and sicked the Pokémon on the bug, letting the Dog-like Pokémon tackle the bug a couple times to lower its defenses.

"When the time is right, that's when you strike," Kukui continued, carefully keeping an eye on the wild Pokémon's status. The Grubbin had taken a pounding and was somewhat stumbling on its feet when Kukui pulled out a Pokéball and lobbed it out. He caught the Grubbing in a single toss, then went to reclaim the ball. "See, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

Not bad aside from your choice of Pokémon to catch, anyway
, I thought to myself. Still, it didn't seem too complicated.

"This path will also take you to Iki Town. Why don't you wander around a bit before you come to the festival? You might find a nice Pokémon you'd like to train. Take some Pokéballs too, to help you out."

I accepted the Pokéballs without comment, then bid Kukui farewell as we went our separate ways. I was happy to follow this new path to the festival, but I had no intentions of adding any Grubbin or Yungoos to my team. Popoki and I would handle things on our own for now. Maybe when I was finally comfortable with having one Pokémon around I would think about adding more to my team. Maybe.

We made it through the grass and started heading up a small incline when I happened to spot another trainer on the path ahead. Unlike other trainers I'd seen, she didn't appear to be actually training her Pokémon, or catching new ones. Instead, she was tossing a Pokéball in her hand and looking around. She spotted me, and her mouth opened in a wide smile. "You're a trainer, right? Let's have a Pokémon battle! Buneary, go!"

Before I even had a chance to respond, the girl tossed her Pokéball down on the ground and a small rodent Pokémon popped out. I hadn't really planned on fighting anyone, but at least I knew Popoki and I were ready. Before I could even call his name, he jumped ahead, almost as if to protect me from the Buneary. I took advantage of the quick action and called out, "Popoki, use your Ember!"

I didn't think the Buneary was weak against Fire, but it was Popoki's strongest move, and it worked wonderfully. The rabbit was hurt badly and hardly able to counter. It only took a single other attack to knock it out for good.

"Oh wow, you're stronger than you look!" The girl congratulated me as she recalled her Pokémon. "I expect a lot of other trainers will want to challenge you. Good luck!"

Boy, she wasn't wrong. I'd hardly made it a dozen more steps on the path before another kid blocked my path. I almost felt bad wiping the floor with his Caterpie. Almost. We fought a couple more trainers as well on our way to town, but none of them seemed to pose a problem. Popoki and I were becoming more in tune with each battle, it seemed. My little Litten was also growing stronger, his attacks hitting more forcefully.

We'd almost reached the entrance to the town when I happened to spot a pair of rather shady-looking individuals. They had strange outfits that reminded me of... well, not of happy, good memories, that's for sure. I slowed my steps and pretended to be inspecting a nearby tree as I eavesdropped on their conversation, though most of it was garbled nonsense to me. I had a bad feeling about this.

Something in my posture must have given me away, as one of the two turned to speak to me. "Hey, you! You're not from Alola, are you?"

My hands clammed up and I lost my voice, but it didn't seem to matter. Neither the strange woman nor her companion seemed all that interested in me after all, turning and walking away without waiting for a response. I looked down at Popoki and he looked back up at me, my own confusion mirrored in his face.

Deciding to simply forget about the strange encounter, I scooped up Popoki in my arms and headed up the stairs into Iki Town. The whole town was ablaze for the festival! Er, not literally, that is. More people were crammed into the village than I'd seen in one place since I landed, all dressed up and partying. And not just people, but Pokémon too! I must have looked like a tourist, standing at the top of the stairs with my mouth agape. Hala had been nearby having a conversation with someone, but took pity on me and came to my side, steering me away from the stairs and deeper into the town.

"How much do you know about Alola, lass? Not much, I imagine. People from other regions pay little attention to us out here, outside of coming here to vacation and spend all their money, though it doesn't bother us too much. Alola is made out of four main islands, each one with its own feeling and culture, and its own Guardian Deity as well. This festival is being held all around Alola, each island celebrating their guardian. We may not be much here, but everyone wants to give their thanks to Tapu Koko!"

As we walked deeper into town, I spotted a familiar face up ahead: Hau, with his little Rowlet at his side. Popoki recognized them as well, twisting himself around my ankles in his excitement. Hau waved as we came closer. "Cynter, welcome! Man, I was beginning to think you wouldn't make it. Rowlet and I have been waiting here for aaages!"

"Waiting... for us? What for?"

"Don't you know?" Kukui popped up from behind, scaring the crap out of me once again. "This festival is full of Pokémon battling! We battle in the name of Tapu Koko, pitting our best moves against one another in friendly competition. Pow! Bam!" Kukui gave us a sample of his own best moves, punching the air and twirling about. Standing next to him, Lille couldn't help but giggle, and the same could be said for that "secret" Pokémon of hers making its happy bubbling noises in her bag.

"So, Hau and I are going to battle again, huh? You ready for this, Popoki?" He mewed in response, striking a pose. "I guess we're set then."

"Alright!" Hau exclaimed. "Let's head up to the festival grounds, then!"

The sun was low in the sky, but the center of the town as lit with tiki torches all around, illuminating the center circle in flickering firelight. As befitting a proper festival, Hala stood at center stage, and everyone's eyes were on him as he spoke up in his booming voice. "For all life on our islands... and for those who undertake the island challenge with joy in their hearts... we pray for your protection... for them and all Melemele. May this Pokémon battle be an offering to our island's guardian deity--Tapu Koko!"

A great cheer erupted from the spectators and Kukui nudged me and Hau forward as Hala continued.

"Before you stands Hau, grandson to the kahuna. Before him stands Cynter, one who has met with Tapu Koko."

I stood on the stage and looked out into the eyes of the hundreds of islanders gathered around us. They cheered both me and Hau, brimming with excitement. I even saw Mum standing among them; I knew she wouldn't be able to stay in the house cleaning while a giant party was going on. She waved at me, her face already a bit flushed. I hoped she was behaving herself.

"Cynter! Hau!" Hala shouted into the drawing night. "Bring forth the power of your Pokémon!"

That seemed to be all there was to it. Hala jumped backwards off the stage and Hau and I faced each other once again, this time with a whole crowd around is. "Popoki," I called out somewhat timidly, "let's show them what you've got!"

"Pichu, I choose you!" Hau shouted in response.

Pichu, huh? That's new. Hau must have taken the time to catch another Pokémon before the battle, leaving Popoki and I outnumbered. Still, I was confident. After all, I'd beaten his Rowlet pretty easily before. Popoki and I got this.

"Alright, Popoki, use your Lick!" It was a new attack he'd learned shortly before the battle. I'd hoped to use it to paralyze the Pichu, but something went horribly wrong and Popoki himself ended up paralyzed! I wracked my brain trying to figure out a way out of the jam, but at least Popoki was otherwise fine. Hau's Pichu didn't seem to know any damaging moves and was instead content to wear out Popoki by Charming him over and over.

Unfortunately, I couldn't think of any way to cure Popoki in the middle of battle, so I gritted my teeth and kept pushing. Pichu's Charm didn't have any affect on Popoki's Fire moves like Ember, and even though my poor Litten was disoriented from the paralysis, he managed to break through for the KO.

"Pichu, return!" Hau called out, a smug smile on his face. "Rowlet, go! Use your Leafage!" Now, the main battle was on.

Despite the paralysis, Popoki was still at an advantage. Rowlet's grass-type moves wouldn't be very effective against him; all we'd have to do is hold out long enough to get a good few Ember attacks in. Hau seemed to realize his Leafage wasn't doing much and switched to regular attacks, but it was too late. Popoki managed to shake off his condition long enough for a single powerful Ember to the face, knocking Rowlet down for the count.

Popoki and I were victorious! The crowd cheered madly, setting off fireworks and dancing with each other around the stands. Hala stepped up to say a few words, but I was too flushed with victory to even hear him.

"That was a great battle!" Hau said in my ear, shouting slightly to be heard over the music. "I thought I had you, but you managed to pull through. It's always so much fun battling you!"

"Thanks," I replied, my face still a bit red from all of the excitement. "I guess I'm not quite as bad at this as I thought I would be."

"You just need to have more confidence in yourself is all," Hala said, slapping me on the back, "but I can assure you that Tapu Koko was pleased with your performance here tonight. I also have a small gift for you."

"Oh?" I asked, curious as Hala put a bulky bracelet over my left wrist.

"This is a Z-Power Ring. It will help you to draw out the power that lies deep within Pokémon. In order to use it, you'll need to go through the Island Challenge and collect Z-Crystals, but for someone with your innate skill, I think it's well within your grasp."

I looked down at the bracelet, wondering if I'd feel some kind of power or something coming from it, but I didn't.

"I made it for you using that stone you got from Tapu Koko," Hala continued. "I hope you don't mind, but the stone by itself would serve no purpose for you without being enhanced in such a way. I think... perhaps Tapu Koko has a mission for you."

Suddenly the bracelet felt a lot heavier. I wanted to think that the old kahuna and the islands' myths about guardian Pokémon were full of crap, but... I rubbed my wrist subconsciously, remembering the feel of the Pokémon's arms as it carried me to safety. Perhaps it did have a mission for me, and that was why it saved me. If so, it probably should have picked someone else.

"Well, it's a good thing Cynter will be traveling around to partake in the Island Challenge, then!" Kukui spoke up. "If Tapu Koko does have a mission for her, traveling around and encountering lots of Pokémon may very well be an important step on the journey to discovering that mission."

The Island Challenge, yes, the Alolan version of the Pokémon Trainer's journey, and the form of probation that my mother had so lovingly signed me up for, without my knowledge, to avoid juvenile detention. I still didn't know all that much about it, but I guess it makes sense that I'd have to travel around to the various islands, likely completing various tasks along the way.

After the end of the battle, the others all dispersed to join the festivities, but I didn't feel much like celebrating. Being a Pokémon trainer wasn't too bad so far, but I couldn't help but feel a little disheartened at the journey to come. It was one thing being another new trainer's Pokémon at a type advantage, but actually embarking on the Challenge would be something completely different. It was like splashing in a kiddie pool before diving into an ocean. Would Popoki and I be able to handle it? Would we really be up for whatever mission this Guardian Pokémon had in mind for us?

I sat down on the stage next to my Litten, gave him some medicine to clear away the last of the paralysis, then pulled out a brush to smooth his fur. Everyone seemed to be having such a good time, but my own high spirits from winning the battle had all been sucked dry. As if sensing my mood, Popoki nuzzled my side then curled up in my lap and purred against my stomach. I pet him softly as he slowly fell asleep, watching the revelers with the taste of ashes in my mouth.

Cynter's Pokémon

Popoki
Lv 9 Litten, Male
Nature: Mild (+SpAtk/-Def)
Ability: Blaze

Author's Notes:

Man, I am no good at keeping any kind of schedule, am I? It took a while, but I'm finally back with an update.

We're still in the early, tutorial parts of the game, so not much exciting is going on yet, but it's been fun to play through and see how the stage is being set. It's been so long since I played the original Moon that I can't quite tell what's been different so far, except for those guys outside of town anyway. I smell a new evil team brewing.

Cynter's battle against Hau went... pretty much exactly in-game as it did in the write-up. I totally forgot that Electric Pokémon are immune to Paralysis; it's been a while since I've played a Pokémon game, alright?! So, we suffered through Paralysis all battle since I had no way to cure it, but it was still a stupidly easy battle anyway.

I was admittedly channeling a bit of original season anime Misty with Cynter's disgust towards Bug-type Pokémon. I can't help but wonder what type of Pokémon Cynter will actually end up catching aside from her Litten, but I guess we'll find out when the time comes. I plan on solo-ing it through until I find a situation/Pokémon that feels right to me for her to add onto her team.

And speaking of writing in-character, there's one thing that happened during this section of the game that I didn't write up about at all... I spent over 15 minutes playing with the Rockruff at the top of Route 1. It didn't feel very "Cynter"-like at all, but damn if I'm not weak to playing with a cute puppy myself, even if it's just in a game. I was admittedly a bit disappointed when I learned the Rockruff actually belonged to the kid on the route and that I wouldn't be able to adopt him if I pet him enough or something.

I have no estimate for when the next chapter will come; your guess is as good as mine. But I'm still here, and not planning on quitting anytime soon.

PS: I ran into some weird formatting errors with some accidental double copy-pasting or whatever. I'm not sure what happened. I think I cleaned it all up, but if you notice any weirdness anywhere, just point it out. Typing/editing posts feels super slow and awkward to me on this site for some reason.

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
update \o/

Charjabug and Tapu Koko were both misspelled in some spots but those are the only s/g errors I noticed.

I also have not played anything since Moon so I'm adventuring blind right along with ya.

Also, I find it easier to type stuff offline and then copy and paste it on PB when I'm ready. I've had times where I was posting on PB and typing out a massive post and then something happened and it was gone. Never again.

Looking forward to more stuff \o/

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
update \o/

Charjabug and Tapu Koko were both misspelled in some spots but those are the only s/g errors I noticed.

I also have not played anything since Moon so I'm adventuring blind right along with ya.

Also, I find it easier to type stuff offline and then copy and paste it on PB when I'm ready. I've had times where I was posting on PB and typing out a massive post and then something happened and it was gone. Never again.

Looking forward to more stuff \o/

Yeah, I type up in Notepad and then copy/paste here, then add formatting as necessary. I've admittedly never been much a fan of this forum software, but it seems like it's just getting worse. Even now, I'm getting horrible lag while typing and some kind of broken pop-up keeps showing up below the post screen. I have no idea what happened to create the errors I was seeing when I posted before, but I'm glad that I seem to have gotten it cleaned up properly at least.

EDIT: I've fixed the typos now as well.