Pokemon Correct pronounciation for pokemon names?

Have you ever had conflict with pronouncing names

• Yes, I have and I want to stop it

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • No, I haven't so there's nothing to stop

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Yes, but I don't think it's anything to complain about

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
Ray-kway-zuh
Bid-oof
Hound-oom

Lieutenant Houndoom said:
... is that how you phoenetically spell it? ._.
How about this, you don't use the "way" sound when sounding "qua". As in "aqua". Well, that was easier.

EDIT: ... I actually haven't heard "quasar". So I have no idea what it should be. Eh, go off what that is.

quasar is like: kwey-zahr: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/quasar

PMJ said:
Ray-kway-zuh
Bid-oof
Hound-oom

Wouldn't it be more like: Bi-doof and Houn-doom?
But i think Bidoof is pronounced like Bea-doof or Bee-doof, cuz it comes from Beaver

Here are some I think common mispronunciations:
~Ponyta (poe-NY-ta)
~Gligar (gly-gar, not glee-gar)
~Blissey (it's bli-sey, not blic-cey)
~Raikou
~Suicune
~Gardevoir (gar-de-vwar)
~Rayquaza (ray-qway-za)
~Bonsly (bons-ly, not bons-lee)
~Hippopotas (hip-po-po-TAS)
~Gallade (gal-LADE)
~Uxie (youx-ie)
~Azelf (az-ELF)
~Mesprit (mis-prit)

All the ones I corrected are proven to be correct, I have heard them in PBR. I think we should use Pokemon Battle Revolution instead of the anime. The anime has made errors, like three different Misdreavus and two Bonsly pronunciations.

Oh, and it would be almost impossible to do a "PronunciDex" xD of other languages apart from English. The reason for this is that English names are completely revamped, and the one that aren't sound identical to Japanese (Pachirisu). Other languages simply check their English writing and say them with their own ways of pronunciating sound, although I have seen Spanish PBR but it might be a little harder, seing as there are less people with the language. For example Cherrim (cher-reem) sound in Spanish as [que-rim]. Completely different.

PBR is not really a good source. Listen to him say Togepi and then Togekiss, and then hear him say Togetic.

Mew
Me - oo
Put emphasis on the double o

Mewtwo
Me-oo-two
Same as mew but with a two on the end :p

Articuno
Ar-ti-coo-no
Arr, as in like a pirate, ti as in like tea, coo as in coolio, and no as in no way!

Zapdos
Za-pdo-s
Za as you say normally and like the name 'Zak'
pdo as you say normaly a P then you short it to a lower cade d so a 'du' sound. And then sliding into an o. And then an S at the end. Za-pdo-s, Zap-dos, Zapdos

Moltres
Mol-tre-s
Mol as you say 'Molten rock'/'lava' and then 'tres', spanish for three

Dragonite
Dragon-ite
A normal Dragon saying, and then the end of the rod, kite - ite.
Dra-gon-ite

Look at the end of the three birds, they all have a spanish number on the end.
Moltres - 3 - Tres
Zapdos - 2 - Dos
Articuno - 1 - Uno

There isn't a right or wrong in pronouncing there names, just the way you want to say it.

GHJamesGH said:
Illumise is pronounced (Ill-ooh-meh-sey). I think that is the weirdest one. Its french BTW.

Nope, Illumise isn't a french name... It's a play on the word illuminate. Gardevoir is a real French name, it comes from 'garde' (guard) and 'voir' (to see).

btw, the French name for Illumise is Lumivole.

Lickilicky_Guy said:
I've always wondered about luxio. Is it lucks-ee-oh lucks-I-oh. Lukes-ee-oh

Whatever xD

Coming from the latin "Lux" and "Leo" it would sound as a combination of the two. So it'll be the the first one.

What makes the pronunciation of Pokemon important is that you can also have a better idea of the root words that construct the names, thus allowing you possibly understand the meaning behind the Pokemon. Because most japanese Pokemon names have special defenitions behind them, saying them right is your first step in to understanding their names fully. :)

I especially enjoyed one of their Podcasts on Pokebeach when they looked in to the pronounciation of Pokemon. It really taught me about some of the Pokemon I had no clue of how to say them. xD

- LuckyLuigi7

Entei
E-n-tay
Start with a normal E but say it as a lower case, so like a stumble "Eh!"
Then slowly strive into an n as normal
They tay as you say play but with a "T"
E-n-tay, En-tay, Entay, Entei
(Entei means god of fire)

Raikou
Rhy - Koo
Rhy is in rhy bread
Start of with R (Lower case) and then into an I R-I Rh-y Ra-i
Then kou as in cool just say it as normal but without the l

Suicine
Sue-we-sin
Start of with a normal S (Lower case) and then into and oo sound to give a sue, like I sue you.
Then a sharp turn to a we So SuuuueeeWE!
and then last to make a sin sound, like "YOU COMMITED A SIN"

Celebii
Sell - A - bee
Sell a bee...

Lugia
Lu-gia
Start with the noun "Luke" just without the k and e
Then into a gia not a jia bu gia

Ho-oh
Ho? Oh!

uhh....

Raikou is "rye-koh"

It's the same in Japanese, so... just another reason why you should not trust PBR, ever.

Illumise is "ilu-meezy," for some mystical reason
Suicune is "swee-koon" and definitely NOT whatever it is you said
Luxio is "lucks-e-o" as Houndoom suggested

Delta said:
There isn't a right or wrong in pronouncing there names, just the way you want to say it.

By that logic, I could pronounce "Pikachu" as "ry-horn" and it would still be right because that's how I want to say it.

I'd like to say that too. Rhyhorn is <3.

Illumise is strange. I just say "Ill-oo-mice", becausen every other way seems silly.

Considering it's spelt Suicune, it definitely doens't have the "sin" sound in it. Being completely derived from the Japanese name means it's pronounced Su-i-kune.

The old handbooks. There's also PBR and the show.

It's a bit difficult to argue for more than 5 minutes unless they're one of the contradictory cases.

With illumise I say ill-you-me-say. Again, we have to sort of settle disputes, PBR and the anime aren't always going to be the same as each other. Any ideas how?

Just remember dusknoir is pronounced Dusk-"new R" . I love how I can say it perfectly cuz I'm french. :D it's easy because "Noir" in french means black so I knew how to say it and dusk is obviously Dusk.

My friend was watching me play Platinum as I was going through Victory Road. A wild Gabite popped up which surprised him, "Gay-bite?!" He exclaimed, "Since when did you find wild Gay-bite?!" I was so confused since I'd never heard it pronounced like that, I always say it like Gah-bite. xD

Then again I always used to say Ray-qua-za, then I heard (I think it was on the anime movie) Ray-quay-za.

Juliacoolo said:
This could be very useful. I'm going to work on a proncation thread.

Good luck with that, and I look forward to when/if you get finished. :D

Back