Correct pronounciation for pokemon names?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Veritas, May 28, 2009.

?

Have you ever had conflict with pronouncing names

1. Yes, I have and I want to stop it

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. No, I haven't so there's nothing to stop

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Yes, but I don't think it's anything to complain about

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Veritas The invisible user
    Veritas

I was pondering about this for a while and I just thought I'd get an opinion. Do you think there's right and wrong ways to pronounce pokemon names? Some names are obvious like the irrefutable Pikachu but things like Raquaza I've heard 3 different pronunciations. There was even a guy who said Gible like Guy-bel (rhymes with bible).

Should there be like a pokemon dictionary that tells you how to pronounce something so people would stop disagreeing? Comments?

2. Electimortar BARK BARK BARK
    Electimortar

I totally agree with you. I've heard people say Bee-doof, Bid-off, and Bih-doof.

3. Lieutenant Houndoom Back from the...
    Lieutenant Houndoom

Well, for direct translations go by the Japanese pronounciation, with pairings of two letters, otherwise merge the two words that the name came from. There is defeinitely somewhere the name came from.

4. Veritas The invisible user
    Veritas

That doesn't always work because in that case, we should call bidoof, bi do o fu.

5. Pokequaza Aspiring Trainer
    Pokequaza

It's of course; Bee - doof :D

It doesn't work on Bidoof cuz it comes from ビッパ (Bippa, however if i'm not wrong it spells: Bi - tsu - pa) And if we would pronounce it like ''Bi do o fu'' (ビドオフ) then we've a double ''o'' in it, and it's like Bido-ofu... :p

6. Lieutenant Houndoom Back from the...
    Lieutenant Houndoom

It's because it's a subscript "tsu", which doubles the next constanant, in english terms. Bidoof is based off the words "BEAver" and "tOOTH". Slur out the "th" sound to make it an F. Or "dOOFus", considering how idiotic it looks.

7. Juliacoolo Sprites are lame.
    Juliacoolo

Advanced Member Member

This could be very useful. I'm going to work on a proncation thread.

8. Veritas The invisible user
    Veritas

There should be like a universally recognised pronunciation list. I have a system we can use to distinguish which pronunciation we should use but that can wait until we can have people on board with this project. Who's in?

9. red blastoise PM me, I love to chat.
    red blastoise

i'm in, but the problem is that we can't decide how a pokemon name must be spoken :/

10. Pokequaza Aspiring Trainer
    Pokequaza

We just look at anime, where the name comes from or to the japanse. It wouldn't be that difficult... ;)

11. dmaster Aspiring Trainer
    dmaster

Elite Member Advanced Member Member

I agree, there should be one. Quite often, I find I'm correcting little kids or I'm being corrected by them. It's quite cumbersome after awile.

dmaster out.

12. red blastoise PM me, I love to chat.
    red blastoise

the anime makes no sense at all, cause in the dutch anime they say it different then in the english anime.

example houndoom in the dutch one
    han-d-o-m

13. Lieutenant Houndoom Back from the...
    Lieutenant Houndoom

Maybe, among other things, the foreign animes have different naming depending on what they decide for the word to come from. I can't say for certain that Houndoom has a different translation in Dutch, but there are some.

14. omahanime No strings on me.
    omahanime

Elite Member Advanced Member Member

Maybe start with just an English guide.

15. Vencargo bow before the all mighty ditto D:
    Vencargo

Is rayquaza Ray-Qway-Za or Ray-Qwa-Za

16. Lieutenant Houndoom Back from the...
    Lieutenant Houndoom

Rayquaza is identical in spelling to the Japanese name (レックウザ) so it's something like "Ray- Qua- Za". Alternatively, it'll come from Ray and Quasar, a spacial object that emits radio waves. Either way it'll have the "kwa" sound rather than the "k-way" sound.

That makes sense, doesn't it?

17. Pokequaza Aspiring Trainer
    Pokequaza

I assume you come from the Netherlands too? The Pokemon names in the Dutch anime are meant to be the same as in the English anime. Maybe the voice actors aren't able to pronounce it proper? (and note that in Dutch anime (i dunno if this happens in other anime too) the names aren't always pronounced the same, i've heard a lot of variety in the names)

Yup i agree, maybe we could work later on a guide for other languages, i wouldn't mind to make a Dutch one :D

Ray - qway - za

18. Dugtrio Trio Left all alone in the FORGOTTEN Tier =/
    Dugtrio Trio

Seriously, is pronounciation that important? I never pronouce these names, I just write them.

Anyways, Rayquaza is Rai-Ku-Aja

19. Pokequaza Aspiring Trainer
    Pokequaza

are u sure about Rai-Ku-Aja? Rayquaza is based of quasar, so its pronounciation would be more like Ray-Kway-Za

20. Lieutenant Houndoom Back from the...
    Lieutenant Houndoom

... is that how you phoenetically spell it? ._.
    How about this, you don't use the "way" sound when sounding "qua". As in "aqua". Well, that was easier.

EDIT: ... I actually haven't heard "quasar". So I have no idea what it should be. Eh, go off what that is.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?

Moderated By

BigfootAUS, Luispipe8