competitive battling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biscuitvega

and you have to deal with it
im 12 i have been playing the games since saphire but i never really played competively and i want to know how and i have so a couple questions

how do i play ''competively''

how do i make a team? i tried to make one but i dont really know how

do they have tournements like with the tcg?

if so are there like divisions for the tournement are there prizes?

what the heckenolis are sandstorm teams i hear about them so much

whats the deal with blissy salemance and the chandlier pokemon

ubers?tiers?

do people play competively on wi-fi

i may come up with more questions

I'll try and give my best description on competitive battling.

Competitive battling is using a specific team that is made to win. No gimmicks or anything like that. Your team is built to best exploit your strengths. To do this, you have to raise a good team. This involves planning your team out, then building it. Building a team focuses on pokemon that combo well, as well as using useful pokemon in general. Be aware of EV'ing as well, because EV'ing is used in all competitive battling. Effort Values, of EV's for short, are used to boost a pokemon's stats to greater levels.

The most competitive pokemon fall into he overused tier. Tiers are considered the rankings for pokemon. If a pokemon is good, it's in the overused (OU) tier, or standard tier. Scizor and Tyranitar are examples. If it isn't very good, it fall into the underused tier, or UU for short. Venasuar and Feraligatr fall here. If a pokemon is a gimmick, or extremely weak, then it falls in the neverused tier, or NU, for short. Farfetched and Delibird, for example. If a pokemon is deemed too powerful for standard play, then it goes to Ubers. Pokemon like Kyogre and Mewtwo go here.

The biggest tournament is the Video Game Competition, or VGC for short. This happens once a year, where you use your team to compete against other teams. There aren't very manyother organized tournaments, but you can battle over wi-fi, or pokemon online. Pokemon Online is a server where you can battle pokemon without raising them up in the games.

Sandstorm teams are teams that focus on the weather effect, sandstorm. Hippowdon and Tyranitar both summon an indefinite sandstorm, which other pokemon benefit from. Doryuuzu, for example, is pokemon who's speed doubles in a sandstorm. Garchomp's evasion is raised in a sand storm. Rock types get a Sp. Def boost in a sandstorm. These are just a few examples. There are other weather teams as well, including rain and hail. But right now, sandstorm is dominating.

Blissey and Salamence are OU/Uber pokemon. They are very powerful, and such, are used often. Blissey is used because of it's massive HP. Salamence is an offensive beast. These pokemon can be used in both OU and Ubers, although Salamence as banned from OU. These pokemon do their jobs very well. As per Shandera, it is a new japanese pokemon. It's secial attack is very high, so it is a good special attacker. On top of that, it also has shadow tag. This means that the opponent can't switch out their pokemon while Shandera is in play. This means Shandera can get set up. People like to find good combinations within pokemon. That's the deal with those guys.

I hope this helped. It's as much as I know about competitive battling. You should check out Smogon.com or serebii.net. They have excellent guides on competitive battling.

That is a lot of questions.
1. Playing competitively is vaguely defined as something along the lines of playing with winning in mind.
2. First download Shoddy Battle or Pokemon Online (http://www.pokemon-online.eu / ), then building a team will be easy.
3. Yes, look in the Gaming Activities section.
4. IDK Prizes are uncommon. Competitive pokemon is not official Nintendo stuff so no divisions generally.
5. Sandstorm teams are those that use Sandstorm to boost Pokemon by increasing Rock type Special defense and activating various Sandstorm abilities along with damaging non-Rock/Steel/Ground type pokemon.
6. Blissey is renown for amazing HP and Special defense making it the greatest special wall (pokemon that takes little damage from special attaks). Salamence is a powerful offensive pokemon that can take out counters effectively with mixed sets. Shanderaa is a pokemon with a Dream World ability (Shadow Tag) which traps pokemon, and it has very high Special Attack.
7. Ubers are pokemon that are too powerful for the regular competitive game. Tiers are divisions of Pokemon based on usage (OU/UU/NU) and power (BL/Ubers).
8. Yes

EVs help Pokemon become stronger in more areas, and there is a 510 limit on each Pokemon. For example, a Sweeper will often have 252 Attack/Special Attack and 252 on Speed.
They are obtained by battling Pokemon in the wild, and each Pokemon has an EV that they give out. They can also be obtained by using Vitamin, Carbos and those items. Using the Macho Brace will double the EVs gained.

Ah that's easy.

You know when you were walking through the game and you would happen to come across items (more specifically, drugs) like Carbos or Protein and you would have no idea what to do with it? Well that's why EV training comes into play. The main point of EV training is to make a certain pokemons stat(s) higher than normal via the use of -
1) Drugs: These can be brought in the large stores (Goldenrod, Veilstone .etc). Basically you would give a certain pokemon certain stat upper drugs in whichever stat you want to train it in. You can only give a pokemon upto 10 of a drug providing it has 0 EV's to begin with.
2) Battling against certain pokemon. Whenever you beat a pokemon, not only do you gain experience but you also gain that pokemons effort value (EV). Each pokemon give a certain amount of EV, e.g. - Starly gives you 1 Speed EV, Gyarados gives you 2 Attack EV .etc. Knowing which pokemon gives you which EV is important as it makes EV training faster.

In D/P/Pt, people had the option to buy certain items from the battle frontier shop which were made specifically for EV training (Power bracer, Power Lens, Power Weight, Power Band and Power Anklet) These items are used to train pokemon in certain statistical areas. I'll give you an example on how to go about EV training.

I could give you a full explaination on Ev training, how a pokemon's Nature is important and IV's (individual Values) but typing all this via the wii is hard. I suggest you head to www.Smogon.com for more info on the subject.

And if you are interested in how some strategies work for VGC and other tournaments check out

http://www.skarmbliss.com/

where they are now(like Smogon) are analyzing the best ways to use the Unova Pokemon

That's the kind of question that goes in the competitive Q & A thread. To answer your question, no. Suspect testing is still going on. Anyways, this thread has served it's purpose and now that there's a Q & A question, threads like this aren't needed.

*Locked*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back