Community Team - Testing Phase!

RE: Community Team - Teammate Discussion - Teammate Poll #1 out

Personally, I want to see Skarm and WishCM Jirachi. Skarm sets up hazard(s) and is a great physical wall, while WishCM Jirachi is much needed Wish support. Skarm's immunity to Ground moves also complements Jirachi well. The problem is the electric weakness.

Well, we could try running Hippowdon with Sand Force instead of Skarm (it looks great on paper, but I'm not sure about it's viability). The immunity to electric is good, and it's got Stealth Rock and decent bulk. Sand Force can also help against Sand teams. I've never tried it and I doubt the rest of the world has, so I can't say for sure how good it is...

For now, I know for a fact I want:

WishCM Jirachi

From experience using Quagsire on my teams, I know that Quagsire is a fantastic check to sand teams, and it does very well at eliminating Terrakion and Landorus using Scald, which is awesome in rain.

I really like the idea of Ferro/Quag core. Its awesome.

By the way, which Politoed set is wanted?

Well, since its a Bulky Offensive team, defensive Toed seems like the way to go.

That said, the Specs set destroys everything and might be a valuable asset to the team. It can blast massive holes in the opponents team allowing CB Scizor (if that gets voted on) and Dragonite to easily clean up the pieces. I'll hold my vote for now because both options seem viable.

After rethinking today I think we should go with only one mixed wall and I think that should be Ferrothorn. Also the last spot on the team should be reserved for another dragon to take the full advantage that Magnezone brings. I would suggest putting Latios here because in rain it basically has 3 STAB attacks and is really powerfull.

Also for Politoed I would go with bulky SpecsToed to take hits better while still doing massive damage. Iirc only things that full speed EV Toed outspeeds are Breelom (can't switch into Toed because Hydro Pump KOs it and so does Ice Beam) and Magnezone who is also KOd by Hydro Pump.

So the team to me would look something like this:

Politoed (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SAtk / 28 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 152 HP / 180 SAtk / 176 Spd
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 16 SDef / 160 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw

^ Ehhhhhh.... Even though it's a bulky team, Life Orb on Starmie works better imo and Surf over Hydro Pump is better because Rain boosts Surf to high enough levels anyway without the nasty accuracy drop.

But, not to get too far ahead of ourselves. For now I'll vote for Defensive Specs Toad. I always like combining good ideas (Specs toad and defensive toad) into an even greater one.

I think we need to slow down a little and think ahead here. Team building isn't a process where you choose 6 Pokemon one after the other, but rather you need to consider how choosing one team member imposes limitations on which Pokemon you can choose as the next team members. For example, choosing Starmie as a spinner brings forth the issue of including the pure Water type Politoed as Rain support. We need to properly discuss Pokemon one at a time rather than throwing suggestions left right and centre.

Magnezone: I think it's a good choice, but it may not be mandatory. Bronzong, Forretress and Ferrothorn cannot take on SubDD Dragonite easily due to the low PP of Gyro Ball, and Skarmory will often run Shed Shell. Heatran isn't going to work full stop. Jirachi and Scizor can be trapped but both often run sets that simultaneously beat SubDD Dragonite and Magnezone (CM + Wish, CM + Sub, SuperRachi for Jirachi and SD for Scizor). Magnezone is a good Pokemon for this sort of team but it's not going to magically solve our Steel problems and is by no means a must have Pokemon.

SubCharge is probably the superior set, but we can also be clever. Magnezone is capable of learning Sunny Day to eliminate Sandstorm if the opponent has already sacrificed their Tyranitar and will kill off Ferrothorn in the rain a lot quicker. Removal of the rain will also allow other untrappable Steel types to be more easily removed by other Pokemon on the team due to the increased Fire weakness (bar Heatran of course).

Starmie: Not going to comment on Starmie before Magnezone's set is officially decided, but again we don't need to pick a standard. Let's consider more than Defensive Spinner, Offensive Spinner and Choice.

No one has said anything but the SubCharge set for Magnezone, so we will be using that set.

Here's what still needs to be done. We're doing this really fast, so don't be afraid to slow down a little bit.

Firstly, we need to decide on a Politoed set. Both Defensive and Specs have been brought up.

Next, the fifth teammate needs to be decided. Currently, Ferrothorn and WishCM Jirachi are the most popular choices.

Specs kills, Defensive is reliable. I can't have too strong of an opinion on this because both are great, and it really depends on the team's needs. I remember feeling scared to death sending out Specs because of its unreliability, but when it pulls it off, it really pulls it off, although when it fails, it's costly. I also remember Defensive saving my life in situations Specs couldn't, such as living through a hit and killing with Scald. Specs would have been out sped and OHKO'd.

Personally, I think Defensive fits better. Usually when you're locked into Hydro Pump and they send in something that can sponge it all year, you've gotta switch, allowing them to get off a CM/DD, which can cost the game. And in general, switching puts you at a disadvantage and kills all momentum, and I think what we need here is reliability, not sheer force. But like I said, I can't have too strong of an opinion on this; Specs is devastating if it gets the chance to shoot Hydro Pump.

Pretty much agreeing with you about Specs vs Defensive. Its basically risk vs reward. SpecsToed is risky to play, because of it dies then the battle against sand just got a lot harder. But it rewards you handsomely with crazy powerful Hydro Pumps. Defensive Toed is the safe play, but its not exactly threatening.

We do have Starmie as an offensive Water-type, so I do think that Defensive Toed would probably fit better.

That is why I suggest running defensive Specs Toed 228HP/252sp.atk/28spe. And since they aren't many counters to SpecsToed it is pretty obvious what your opponent is going to send out. So if you see Gastrodon on his/hers team just press HP Grass. Gastrodon will come out 99% of the time.

With the some kind of Politoed idea, use Drizzletoed.

MrGatr said:
With the some kind of Politoed idea, use Drizzletoed.

...Oh, thank you, savior! You've guided us to the light! The lord blesseth thee! What ever would we do without the almighty powers of CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

We should use DefensiveToed. I like the ChestoRest version with HP Grass/Scald/Rest/Toxic. We might miss SpecsToed's Focus Blast because despite it's terrible accuracy, it hits Ferrothorn and Tyranitar hard, but I think all-in-all we would be better off with DefensiveToed.

^.^

That's my job...

What if we were to like add Tornadus, he helped a lot when I used D nite.

Le sigh. >.< No discussion in almost a week.

We're now using defensive Politoed.

Fifth teammate. Pick one

Standard Ferrothorn
WishCM Jirachi

RE: Community Team - Teammate Discussion - Ferrothorn or Jirachi

If we're running Specs Toes, we need Wish support. I personally want Specially Defensive Rachi to reliably sponge speciall attacks, my vote goes to Wish CM Rachi.

Ferrothorn

I just find that when playing against them...well, Ferro is better 99% of the time. I think after we get up to the testing phase, we may find that we need wish support, but now I think Ferro is the better choice.

Are we running Defensive?... hmmm, I guess Ferrothorn would be better...

Back